Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Cadillac CTS Engine Problems

Comments

• Hi, I am planning on buying a 2008 CTS, can you give me an update on your oil issue?
  • rvothrvoth Posts: 147
    You may have a leak on the engine. It happened to my 3.5 liter, they put a flourescent dye into the oil and after 900 km later pinpointed the leak.
    If the worst happens ,the engine expires while under warranty , you will get a new ,latest version of DI 3.6. Don't worry just keep an eye on the oil level and keep GM notified.
  • Why must the 2004 Cadillac cts use only synthetic oil as mandated by GM4718M? I have an oil consumption issue 1 qt now every 5-6000 miles. I can’t find an answer to this question.

Thanks in advance
    Mobil 1(recommended) is a superior oil compared to any conventionly oil. Better on extreme temperature and pressure, the molecule will not break apart from the shearing action in the engine. If you don't use synethic oil and have engine problems under warranty GM will not fix it.

My 3.5 liter uses 600ml every 6-7000 km a little less in summer normal. Yours sounds a little high ,you might have a small leak....
  • No visible leaks don’t see anything on the ground. Also had the engine coolant checked no oil, and no signs of burning oil. I am still curious why the Cadillac must only use synthetic.
  • panzerpanzer Posts: 125
    Probably because the Oil Life Monitor is calibrated for synthetic and its typically longer change interval. There is probably no functional reason why you couldnt use dino oil, but it would be pound foolish to do so while the warrantee is in effect. Synthetic oil is technically a better lubricant, but dino is probably good enough if you change it often enough.

On the consumption issue, a quart in 5-6000 miles is nothing to worry about on any engine. I know some motors dont use any oil in 5000 miles, but that's not necessarily normal. I'd start wondering at about a quart in 3000 miles, and worrying at 1 qt in 1000 miles. If you boot the gas pedal alot, oil consumption goes up. High engine revs or load creates more heat and increases consumption of gas and oil. Long, high speed highway trips seem to burn more oil than puttering around town for a couple of months. Maybe you're old enough to remember 1968, when GTO meant gas, tires and oil. Because of lessons learned in those days, I have the habit of checking each car I own every week or two.

The oil life monitor on my son's BMW doesnt come on until about every 15,000 miles, so they have pretty good confidence in synthetic oil.
    If you can get under the car while on ramp blocks or jack stands and visually look at the engine block with a brite light. Check head area of the block and around the exhaust manifold. If it's leaking you will see the oil on the engine making it's way down to the transmission and the oil pan and blowing back down under the car.
    Like was said before by others, a double overhead cam engine does have more moving parts and produces more heat . If synethic oil isn't used carbon build up and varnish will deposit it self on the valve stem and mechanically valve train components reducing the effiency of the engine and leading to engine sludge. Plus these type of engines are engineered to superior and tighter tolerance than previous generations, thus requiring a synethic oil just like the Corvette and others.
    I hope your son's oil filter on that Beamer can filter between 9-18 microns. If not, the particles in the oil while damage the engine if your going 15,000 miles between oil changes. The oil life is only as good as the quailty of filter you use.
  • My 2008 CTS, 1850 miles in the shop, they think cracked head or blown head gasket, GM unwilling to do anything except tear apart and patch engine back together. No kind of satisfaction from their customer service dept. GM's quality and satisfaction is a joke. I have the 3.6VVT, so it isn't like this is a new engine or anything. I think it is a load of crap that I will now have a 40K car with a screwed up engine. GM is a joke, next time a foreign car for me, no wonder they are losing their asses and falling behind Toyota faster all the time.
  • What idiot does not change oil for 2 years? No car company would take care of this under warranty.
  • My car has been in the shop since 10-31-07. It took Cadillac 2 months to have an engineer come out and check it out, after the mechanic replaced all sorts of things in the engine with nothing helping. It was idiling really weird and you could see it in the rpm gauge, they had no clue what the problem was, so this engineer had them do a cylinder leak down test, well.... it failed, bigtime. I guess they replaced the heads on it, now it is smoking, so they tell me now it needs new valve covers. Has anyone had such a problem with there 2004 CTS? Or do you have any suggestions???
  • I have a 2003 CTS the damn thing just died out on me last week, just shut off like there was no gas, tried to crank it and it tried to start but just died, let it sit for 5-10min and it started again then died....whats going on???

Its a love hate relationship with this car, Im so used to Honda's and Toyotas...aye, crap!
  • I so understand what you mean. I miss my toyota camry myself. The shop did call me 2 days ago, now they ordered a brand new engine for my car. It would of been cheaper for them to just give me a new car. It's crazy.
  • 150mphclub150mphclub Posts: 317
    You are kidding, right? You don't really think a new engine costs $30,000.
  • mrvr2umrvr2u Posts: 8
    I am experience at normal speeds and higher a gradual but noticeable hesitation, pulling or stalling when driving. Is this coming from the engine or transmission?
    What year? What engine? What transmission? Maybe you should just check with your service department.
  • geediddygeediddy Posts: 1
    I am having similar problems with my 2004 cts, today i went to start it and it felt like the engine was knocking, then still in park the rpm starting rising until about 1500 rpm then just drop to about 500..... also the check engine and coolant light kept comming on despite me just filling the coolant at a tune up a couple weeks prior... what is going on, so far nothing but problems with this car
  • mrvr2umrvr2u Posts: 8
    2006. 3.6L. Auto with shift control.
    The car is under warranty. Take it to the dealer and have him run a printout.
  • i recently got a 2003 cts the previous owner didnt take real good care of her. he used synthetic oil...so my problem is, i changed the oil today and put in the recomenened 5 quarts and when all was dont i started it and its BLOWING SMOKE alot-alot, when i put it in gear it does not want to drive away. i have asked a few friends and they are all stumped..another $3,000 for a motor????please say no...i hope i just added the wrong oil weight other than that im stumpedddd.