Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Cadillac CTS Engine Problems

Comments

• When you had your vehicle in at the dealership to add oil, did they have any diagnosis?

Sarah
    GM Customer Service
  • dear bill you are about to have total motor failure with what you have descibed in your post stop driving it now that is if it has not locked up already what has happend is it became low on oil befor you new it and has done unreversable damage inside your motor, have it checked or will lose the motor. Keep posting to let us know how it turns out. PS oil % does not mean how much oil you have in motor, it means how much life is left in the oil that is in the motor that is the short summary of it GOOD LUCK
  • i am so happy to find this site because on CHRISTMAS day my son's girlfriend's 07 cts failed on start and began knocking badly before dying in a parking lot. my CARMD diagnosed a bad #5 ing coil but i knew it was much much worse than that. from forty yrs personal experience working on clunkers i or any other hillbilly can tell when valves and pistons collide just by the sick metallic sound. i AM a dyed in the wool CHEVY guy and am so very disappointed by all of the blogs all you good people have posted. every story seems like " deja vu all over again " as yogi said. and . what's up with the major oil loss suddenly ? we can not all be STUPID... gf was running fine then BAM !! 4 qts. low. total weirdness but surely related to this problem. i have not done compression ck yet but i'm not gonna waste money on a #5 coil either. Hopefully the 07 with 92,600 mi is still under warranty and they will do something honorable and i will return with a good outcome for y'all. i still wish to be a faithful chevy man. Please don't let us down GM. we got ur back when u needed us, remember ?
  • GM didn't do anything for me on my 05 CTS when it had the exact same troubles. I ended up putting in a used engine. I received ZERO concessions form Cadillac, or GM. It is really starting to look like a class action suit is the only thing that will get GM's attention and help inform the consumer. :sick:
  • Hi Sarah. The first time I presented the CTS to the Cadillac dealer, they did not present a diagnosis, but said the engine did have a reputation of possibly "eating" a lot of oil. On our trip when the clunking happened again, there was no Cadillac dealer available, but the GM dealer we went to found the oil was indeed low and he added 4 liters.

When I got back home, a few weeks later I took it in to the Cadillac dealer again, and told the whole story. The car had again started to clank a little. The dealer kept the car for 2 days. When I purchased the used car from them I also purchased a four year extended Maintenance (warranty?).

When I picked the car up this is what the service report said:
    Cause: oil getting in PVC system
    Correction: replaced bank 1 cam cover gasket with updated part.
    Test Drove
    J0311 LT CAMSHAFT COV RPL
    Parts: 12641261 SEAL 1

I did ask the dealer about switching to non-synthetic oil because oil and filter changes were costing over $150. He said the car could certainly use regular instead of synthetic, but recommended not doing it now because it would void the extended maintenance plan I had purchased.
  • As you can see in my other post, my 2005 CTS "ate" 4 litres of oil on a 4000km trip. The Cadillac dealer at home agreed that was not a normal level of oil consumption. He said he found a service bulletin (I think that's what he called it) that indicated a potential problem with a gasket that allowed oil to get into the pcv system. They "replaced bank 1 cam cover gasket with updated part"
    Another line says "J0311 LT CAMSHAFT COV PRL"
    Then "Parts 12641261"
    I am in Canada, so I don't know how this relates to USA vehicles.
  • Do the older-pre-2008- CTS have oil pressure gauges?
  • Hi Bill Can you please post in a couple of months IF THE GASKET MADE ANY DIFFERENCE AND HOW MANY KM YOU HAVE ON YOUR VEHICLE. If it was as simple as a gasket change you would think GM would have done a recalled cheaper then losing customers, your consumption is very much the same as mine 1 litre every 1000km. Keep readers informed and if any one else reading has had success with this solution please post.
  • I will certainly keep the forum updated. When the Bank 1 Cam cover gasket was replaced, the odometer reading was 96,008 km. When I first had the clunking noise in the engine the odometer was around 89,000 km.

It is also relevant to note (I think) that in 14 Aug 2010 when the odometer reading was 54,263km We set out on a cross country trip From Halifax NS to Victoria BC and then back through the USA. A total of about 14,000 KM. At no point on the trip did we hear the clunking sound, and when we returned we took the car in for a routine maintenance check, and noone mentioned the car being low on oil of anything.
  • temj12temj12 Posts: 451
    I had the oil changed on my 2005 CTS and, now, my 2009 CTS at a Cadillac dealership in Nashville, TN. The charge has always been $64.00 for a synthetic oil change and filter change. Why would a dealer charge $150? That is a ridiculous charge.
  • In Canada 4 liters of oil at the dealer are $ 56 and I think the oil change needs 7liters. Plus the filter Plus the labour. Even at a retail store Mobile 1 synthetic is $12 for a 1 liter container or $ 49 for 4.54 litres.
  • Since my problem with GM I have already convinced two people not to purchase any GM vehicles. I can not wait for the day for this company to collapse. To many complaints & they still refuse to help worst customer service ever.
  • mycts03mycts03 Posts: 1
    edited January 2012
    With my CTS, the problem that I have is the smell of something burning all the time. I have looked for leaks, but can't find one. One day I saw smoke turn the heater off no more smoke, but the smell still come when I drive the car. Anyone having this type of problem?
  • jpfjpf Posts: 496
    If you travel by car to the U.S. on a regular basis bring back a 5 qt. jug of oil. It costs about $29.00 U.S. at WalMart for Mobil 1 5W30 synthetic. It's a lot cheaper to provide your own oil than to buy the oil in Canada. Good luck.
  • tward2tward2 Posts: 1
    I had the exact same problem lasr year. The dealer replaced the alternator which didn't fix the problem. A nechanic here on my farm traced it down to the brake calipers. First one was replaced and eventually the second. Feel the calipers when you get the oder and I bet they will be very hot.

Tom Ward
  • whb53whb53 Posts: 4
    I have a new 2011 Cadillac CTS with 1700 miles on it. Yesterday, I was driving 60 mph on a highway, and the car just cut out completely -- only the radio kept working. I must have felt the car decelerate, because I looked at the dashboard, and it was totally dark. Luckily, I was in the right lane and traffic was light. I was able to maneuver the car onto the shoulder. I tried to restart the car, and nothing happened -- It didn't even make a noise. It was like someone unplugged the power to the car. A few seconds later, I tried to restart the car again, and it started right up and ran fine. The dealer has the car now and is trying to determine the problem, but has not yet figured it out. Has anyone had this issue? Does anyone know someone who experienced this with their car? Any ideas? Thanks.
  • i am having the same problem with my 3.6 v6 burning oil and has been in the shop now 3 times for smoking when i excellerate quick, dark smoke, i have black soot all in my tailpipes and only have 30,000 miles on the car.
  • I am so very sorry that this happened with your new CTS! Please be sure to keep us posted on your progress with the dealership, and if we can be of any assistance we're available via email (please include your name/Edmunds username and the last 8 digits of your VIN should you email us more information).

Regards,
    Sarah
    GM Customer Service
  • Is your car still in at the dealership, hdhawkins71? If we can look into this further with you, please don't hesitate to contact us via email. We would be opening a Service Request, and would need the following information: your name/Edmunds user name, your contact information (phone and address please), the last 8 digits of your VIN and current mileage, and the name of your involved dealership. My coworker Christina, who answers most of the emails from Edmunds, will advise you as to our next steps.

We look forward to hearing from you,
    Sarah
    GM Customer Service
  • paopao Posts: 1,867
    do you have the direct injection engine or the base engine....