Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Cadillac CTS Engine Problems

1181920212224»

Comments

• Update on my situation :

after hearing the valve knock and having my engine skip on my commute to work, I purchased (for what feels like the hundredth time) 6 quarts of oil from my local napa. I ended up having to put 2.5 quarts into my engine, the stick was bone dry. KEEP IN MIND I added oil last thursday! 1.5 quarts. It's getting out of control. THIS IS NOT NORMAL, GM.
  • Sarah,

I think Cadillac has a major problem with oil consumption that should be dealt with. GM seems to be in denial. 20 minutes ago I just finished going over the fluids in my vehicles (2013 Silverado 5.3, 1995 Jeep Wrangler and 2013 CTS Coupe 3.6). The only one that took any oil was the Caddy. At 1,600 miles on the odometer I have put a total of 3 quarts of oil in the CTS since it came off the showroom floor. Yet not one quart in the Silverado in 7,000 mile since it was delivered from the dealer. The Jeep with 135,000 miles on the odometer used 1/2 a quart since its last oil change 4,000 miles ago.

This may be my last GM car with this kind of product quality. The Caddy was a replacement for a 2006 MB C280 which never used a drop of oil between oil changes. Very disappointed in a $50K+ Cadillac.
  • I am expecting GM to shut down there Cadillac CTS line. This is ten years of failure for the CTS. I have heard of the same problem with lots of the new CTS's. GM think we are all stupid, when we hear from them "it's normal".
    I have to laugh this is how bright they think we are! I took mine in they said they never heard of that problem ha ha, but leave it with us and we will look into it ha ha, picking it up they told me to bring it back next week because they have a monitor placed on the car to figure out where the oil is going ha ha. They just wanted me to keep paying them to monitor there problem, a real big ha ha. Little did they know I myself have rebuilt 7 or 8 engines and not stupid. I called a week later and said I was bringing in the car for them to check where the oil was going, but I would not be paying for it, it would be on GM's dime. They wouldn't look at it, and what about this monitor that they put on? wouldn't you think that they would want it back big ha ha ha, no where to be found. I couldn't find it, the place I took it to, to change the oil couldn't find it? Can you believe our tax dollars went to these people to bail them out, to give us this. Bull...t and L..s. When I took it for a oil change last week the guy looked at me and said there is something wrong it only shows 5000 km and it has been 2 years since it was here. I replied, yes these cars where not made for driving, they are just made to look at. He looked at me very puzzled.
  • I only kept my CTS for ten days-after engine lights-and shaky idle-and fourth cylinder failure code. Passenger airbag failure. And reading the horror stories.
    But as for the oil-I once had a Ford Marquis 1970 (apples to oranges I know but hear me out) and It had very high millage. And the oil light would flicker.
    I added then as I always have-lucas oil treatment and I always add motor honey on top of the lucas. I run all my cars with heavy duty oil additives. I've never had any problems. All my engines--I've owned maybe thirty cars have ran like tops--high millage. I Noticed on My cts-it had one hundred fifty thousand miles it was a 2006 three point six-the previous owner had thicker than usual oil in it. I would have went this route-but there are about a dozen other problems that the cts are also known for--I don't have the time to list them all---but maybe try thicker oil-since conventional isn't working(I read it is due to undersize piston rings on top of the overall bad design--but what can you expect it to run like a caddilac?
  • I had a 2006 CTS (or I should say POS) and had numerous problems with it. The biggest problem was how much oil it would use. It would use about a quart every 1000 miles! It didn't leak and it didn't smoke. The catalytic convertors are so efficient they just burn up the oil without producing any noticeable smoke. The dealer said this kind of oil useage was normal. What??? That's ridiculous!!! That's their excuse so they don't have to fix the problem. I wouldn't accept that answer and kept pushing for a fix. I had to go through the whole monitor thing too. Well finally after I'd had enough of getting the runaround and since it was still under warranty (under 50,000 miles), I got them to fix it. You'll never guess what it was. When the motor was first assembled and the rings were put on the pistons, the ring gaps were not staggered. They were all lined up so oil was constantly getting past the rings into the cylinder and getting burned up. They fixed that problem and it was fine after that. Well....that problem was but it was always something with that car. My advice...if your CTS is still under warranty push hard for a fix. If not, trade it in. Preferably to the dealer who sold you the POS. That's what I did! I hope this helps someone. I searched the Internet and could never find any information like this.

Oh, and I traded my Caddy in on a 2014 Chevy Malibu. I absolutely love it! Good luck and thanks for listening.

Lori
  • billpaulbillpaul Posts: 103
    Dealers are probably pressured by GM to claim that rapid oil consumption is "normal". Otherwise, GM profits may be much reduced if these apparently common engine problems are corrected. Also, it seems most buyers do not research reliability when purchasing a car - so there is no penalty to GM for not solving the problem. Finally, there is no recall of these cars since it is claimed that it is not a safety problem - not that I agree.
  • Let me say this first - my dealer, Ron Craft/Baytown Tx, went for the high road and helped me out. Love Ron Craft - big profs! GM, on the other hand, was nowhere to be seen and I ate a big piece of the turd my STS laid. GM is still nowhere to be seen on this issue. That is all you need to know about Cadillacs. Period.

I'm with you, kayaus2. If you've got one push hard for a fix. Your other (and best) option is to run the front yard away! Bail out! Extend! I can't tell you how much I loved that car, but it hurt me bad. This whole thing about oil consumption (any oil consumption) being acceptable is, frankly, unacceptable. BS! Who expects to have to check their oil every time they get gas??? Hell, to own one of these POS vehicles you would have to have an oil tanker truck following you to keep the damn thing on the road.

Signed,

So Hurt, Never Gonna Get Over It Unless GM Steps Up.

(But, then again, they don't have to. Do they.)
  • 78K miles on the engine, timing chains and gears were replaced two years ago under a GM notice before the 5-year drivetrain warranty expired. Recently, the engine has experienced timing advance issues, missing badly and causing valve noise when gently accelerating. My local mechanic observed but could not diagnose the issue. The Service Engine light does not illuminate. The local Cadillac dealership claims there is nothing wrong with the engine and/or they could not reproduce the problem. There is definitely a problem with the engine and it's very unsettling when it occurs. The valve noise is undeniable. All I can do is take my foot off the gas pedal and pray the engine doesn't implode. This is simply unacceptable in a car of this supposed caliber. My '93 Northstar V8 never had these kind of issues, and it went over 200K miles without any engine problems of any kind. At this point, I'm set to drive the CTS with a dealership mechanic tomorrow morning, in an attempt to reproduce/display the issue.
  • bgaytanbgaytan Posts: 1
    Is there a recall on the 2006 Cadillac CTS? I bought one a couple of months ago and last month I had the oil changed. A few days ago, less than 30 days after oil change I started hearing a racket of noise from the engine. I dismissed the oil because I just had the oil changed. But curiosity, or I guess a 6th sense made me check the oil and the oil dipstick was practically dry! I had no warning, no indicators, nothing to alert me. I could've messed up the engine. Has anyone else experienced this and if so what does GM say about it?
  • jpfjpf Posts: 496

bgaytan; From this forum and the GMC Acadia forum (Acadia uses same 3.6 liter engine as the CTS), unfortunately GM is of little help unless the engine is still under the powertrain warranty. Since your vehicle is a 2006, I assume it is not under warranty. This engine has significant problems with its timing chains (3 in total), and when you're losing oil it means there is insufficient lubrication of the timing chains and the rest of the engine. As a result the chains tend to stretch leading to major engine damage. If I were you I would top up the oil and trade it in as soon as possible. Good luck.

• I have the same problem with my 06- CTS Eating Oil like every 2-months I have to add 2-Quarts - it has been running really rough now and barely has any power when you put it into gear an step on the accelerator it has like a 1/4 of the power. I am ready to park it in front of the Dealership here and make a large Sign saying what a lemon this make a model has been. - taking it to a shop tomorrow to see what Codes come up.

• rriddlerriddle Posts: 6

Has anyone else had a problem with the 2011 CTS completely shutting off on them like the recent problems with the Cobalt? I have and posted this in March 2012 here on this site. I had the CTS in with two Cadillac dealerships (Ken Dixon Cadillac (now Waldorf Cadillac and Capitol Cadillac) and neither could replicate the problem and the computer showed no errors. The car has shut off completely on me twice pulling into traffic...how I haven't been injured or killed is beyond me. Both dealerships have just handed the car back to me saying they can't replicate the problem. GM Customer Service (via live chat) told me the same thing....if we can't replicate it we can't fix it. How many Cobalt owners did they tell that to before enough deaths caused them to investigate? Because the "premium parts" on my CTS are not on the recall list you won't look into it? I would love to have a reply from the GM Customer Service Reps that monitor this site.

• gmcustsvcgmcustsvc Posts: 4,169

Hello rriddle,

We are sorry to hear that you are experiencing these concerns with your 2011 Cadillac CTS. Although we may not be able to provide any technical advice, we'd be happy to document your concerns or reach out to your dealership. If you'd like our assistance please send us an email to socialmedia@gm.com with your VIN. We look forward to hearing from you.

Thank you,

Andraya R. GM Customer Care