Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Cadillac CTS Engine Problems

Comments

• Hi David,

Was your CTS a 2012? What do you think you will buy to replace it? Thanks for your feedback.
  • miko99miko99 Posts: 5
    I just traded in my 2008 CTS for a 2012 CTS-V Coupe.
    I never had a single problem in the 36,000 miles I drove it I only traded it in because I prefer a coupe and a car with a warranty (well maybe a little for the increase in performance)
    When I trade this car in I will buy another Cadillac.
  • I have a 2010 CTS wagon, AWD loaded with all options. 24K and no problems yet.
  • gmcustsvcsarahgmcustsvcsarah Posts: 1,964
    Congratulations on your new CTS-V Coupe! We're wishing you many happy miles!
    Best,
    Sarah
    GM Customer Service
  • bekins2bekins2 Posts: 29
    My gas mileage has suddenly gone from 16mpg city to 6.It runs fine anybody have a idea why this happened? Have 85000 on it and plugs were changed 5 months ago with oem can anybody help?
  • gmcustsvcsarahgmcustsvcsarah Posts: 1,964
    Have you made any progress on this issue since you first posted about it, bekins2?
    Sarah
    GM Customer Service
  • ronyxxxronyxxx Posts: 19
    I have a 2005 CTS 3.6 thats burning/using about a quart of engine oil every 1250 miles. I have less than 70k miles on it.

I have owned about 35 GM vehicles starting with a 1970 Corvette. I have never had any of them with these kind and magnitude of problems.

Am having Security/Theft system and Traction Control issues too. I love the car but I cant believe GM screwed this one up swo bad. I have a 2000 GMC with 197k on it and it still doesnt use a drop!

I can't sell this car...who's gonna buy it when I tell them it burns oil and sometimes it locks itself down in your driveway a couple weeks at a time! Yikes!! I NEED HELP!!
  • Have you had an oil consumption test performed on your CTS? The accepted rate of oil consumption would be 0.946 liter (1 qt) in 3200 km (2000 mi) (this only applies to personal use vehicles, under warranty, that are driven in a non-aggressive manner and maintained in accordance with the appropriate maintenance schedule, with less than 36,000 mi).

Sarah, GM Customer Service
  • There seem to be a lot more qualifiers than there used to be. Especially the 36000 mile qualifier.

It would be a shame if GM intended that to signify they will only accept responsibility when the car has less than 36,000 miles. That would be a horrible PR position to take IMHO.

We are in Canada, we had the oil consumption test done over the last 6 months, and GM recently swapped out the short block (below the head gasket, above the oil pan) for I think a factory reconditioned one. We had 105,000 KM (apx 65000 mi). It has been back three times in the 3 weeks since the fix for screeching belts, and to replace a "#6 ignition coil". It currently is making non-replicatable whooping noises that I have never heard come from a car before.

Good luck to all of you who sufer fromthe oil consumption issue.
    Seriously??? Come on...1 quart in 2,000 miles is completely UNACCEPTABLE. I have owned about 35 GM cars and trucks in my 58 years. NONE OF THEM Including 1962, 1968, 1970 thru today have EVER used anywhere near that much oil. You guys built and sold a bad motor...own up and FIX IT!!! PLEASE!!!
    Sarah, seriously, would you buy this car from me after I disclosed all its problems to you? IM' STUCK with a LEMON...
  • zebandcozebandco Posts: 22
    Dear Sarah,

Are you serious? I quart every 2000 miles is acceptable? Let's see GM put that in the marketing strategy. "Come on down and buy a new GM Super Scamp. Guaranteed to not to use more than 1 quart of oil every 2000 miles!" The 3.6 has a design flaw and GM's approach is to try and rationalize it. BS! I have purchased two new vehicles (not GM models) since I had the 05 STS and neither are using any noticeable amount of oil. C'mon man!

Dear bill and ronyxxx,

Run!
    What would be point of having the oil consumption test if Cadillac wont help me? I have 67,000 miles on the car???
  • zebandcozebandco Posts: 22
    uhmmmmmm....... the point would be to document that Cadillac won't help you. It would help everyone who bought a lemon motor. Oh, yeah. And if you bought an STS you bought a lemon motor wrapped up in a $55K car.
  • GM CANADA helped me, by replacing the short block, and I had 90k kilometers when we started the oil consumption test, and over 107k kilos when they did the .
  • I was driving down the highway when my 03 Cadillac CTS with 67k miles just quit running. All the guages dropped to zero, and the battery idiot light turned on. I mangaed to get the car off on the shoulder and tried to restart the car. It would turn over but the engine would shake like crazy and with in 3 seconds the car would just turn off. Any idea what could have happend? I did have the car towed to the dealer and they are going to look at it, but I am just wondering what kind of mess I might be dealing with, any ideas at all will be great. :cry:
  • Maybe your timing chains failed like mine did and several other owners of this great car. Good Luck .
  • This is what happened to my 06 CTS - 54,066 miles on it. I was driving on I-80 in Lincoln, NE doing around 65mph and the engine just quit. I was able to pull off on to the shoulder. Had the car towed to the dealer and after several hours they told me that I needed a new timing chain..... we stayed for the weekend while they waited for parts, and on Tuesday they informed me that we needed a new engine... they said that when they started to work on the timing chain, they found concealed damage. Pistons hit the cylinder heads or something like that, and I needed a whole new engine. I had contacted GM customer service and decided to rent a car and drive to Illinois. It took over 2 months to work it out with GM Customer service, but eventually they agreed to replace it. I had all my maintenance done at the dealer, and had it done on time. I had plenty of oil when we started, but they told me I was 2 quarts low after the car broke down. Oil loss seems to be an issue. There is clearly something up with the engines.
  • V6? Probably has been low on oil and the motor ate itself from the inside out. I hope that is not the case, but read the posts here on CTS problems. Good luck!

z
  • My wife and I bought a 2004 CTS with 117K miles through a used car dealer with a 30 day warranty. Before the 30 days were up we had a major problem with the car sticking and knocking and the engine light coming on. The dealer said they solved the problem by installing a new 'sensor' in the transmission. This was after they assured me they checked everything in the car. Within eight weeks with no warning lights and with no problems or sounds coming from the engine, the engine blew. The tow truck operator said there was oil leaked on his flatbead and the people at PEP Boys said the car was five quarts low on oil. We barely drove the car 2000 miles since we got it and it looks like we have to replace the engine. Any ideas or comments?
    These motors are notorious oil users...see my posts and others. GM & Cadillac have their heads stuck in the sand and are denying responsibility by claiming that using a qt of oil every 2k miles is "normal". They don't realize that not only are we not going to buy any more Cadillacs, but that we are spreading the word about their's and GM's irresponsibility to their other potential customers. I talked my brother out of buying a CTS and he bought a BMW..not because mine uses oil, but because Cadillac/GM denies anything is wrong. Grow up Cadillac!!!...take responsibility for your actions!!!