Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Cadillac CTS Engine Problems

Comments

• Since this happened to my car i have been warning everyone I see driving a CTS . I was telling a lady at the gas station about this problem because she was driving a CTS and we checked her oil which turned out to be about 2 quarts low and that blew her mind . I called an engine rebuilder and he laughed at me and said they have a policy of not rebuilding Cadillac engines period .
  • tammysadtammysad Posts: 2
    I purchased a used 2003 Cadillac CTS with approx 59,000 miles in Oct 2009. I was not offered a extended warranty. First thing was the truck brake light had to be replaced. Next it was the engine light on because the dealership did not put the gas cap on correctly after gasing it up for the purchase. I did have my first complementary oil change done at the dealership where I purchased the car. The mechanic did not have any recommendations for the oil change. Then the low level antifreeze light came on.....filled that, light went out. Meanwhile the car would shake a little while idling at a red light....and the car would burn a LOT of gas. Keep in mind the car would operate but it had a slight shake while idling. Once in a while I would smell burning oil through the car's air vents. Then a few minutes later the smell would go away. On March 26, 2010, while driving on the highway without warning, the engine light came on, the car was shaking so bad I thought the car would cut off. The shaking would "calm down" a little if I did not excel over 50 mph. But if I excelled to 60 mph the shaking would get VERY rough as to cut off. When I took it to my mechanic I was advised at first the diagnostic code was misfire on cylinder #3 and #4. Both of the ignition corals had to be replaced. Once I agreed to the repair, he then called back to advise that the valve cover gasket was filled with oil.....causing cylinder #4 to be filled with oil and was dead and cylinder #3 was coming on and off. The recommendation was "car has a dead cylinder #4 has 90 psi will need a motor". I have only had the car at this point for 6 months, I have only put 5,000 miles on the car, and it gets better.....I am still financing it!! HELP!
  • billpaulbillpaul Posts: 103
    edited April 2010
    Very sorry about your experience. Did you have the car checked by an independent mechanic before you bought it?

Also, in a 6-7 year old car, I think that what you needed was a dealer provided warranty rather than an extended warranty.

In any case, when buying a used car with a very poor reliability record (see Consumer Reports), it is best to be very very careful.

http://www.consumerreports.org:80/cro/cars/index.htm
  • The car I am referring to is a 2005 so it's only 5 years old . I did have a mechanic look at it and we fixed some other issues . If there was any question as to if this is a unique issue talking to the engine rebuild company removes all doubt. The lucky people that had this problem got their dealerships to manipulate their warranties to cover them but I wasn't so lucky. It is still my opinion that this problem is known to GM and they are not going to address it unless forced to .
  • lsk1lsk1 Posts: 1
    I'm at a loss. I bought a 2007 CTS 6 months ago. Currently it has ~25,000 miles. Every morning I back out of the driveway, put it in drive, and then start down the road. Consistently the first 100-150 feet the car hesitates like it is having trouble getting up and going, and then it kicks in and I feel the car surge forward. I took it to the dealer a month ago and they said nothing was wrong, but that I needed 2 quarts of oil (onboard computer said I was at 59%). Two weeks later I took it back and they said it was a worn timing belt which was replaced, and they did an oil change. I took it back two days ago b/c it has still been hesitating and I heard a strange knocking noise on Monday morning while it was hesitating, and again they said nothing was wrong. Other than kidnapping one of their mechanics so that they can sit in the car at 530 in the morning when it acts up, I don't know what to do. The 3rd visit was to a different dealer than the other two visits, and he thinks there is nothing wrong. It only does this first thing in the morning after a cold start. I blamed winter at first, but the last couple of weeks it has been 50 degrees or warmer in the morning.
  • gmcustsvcgmcustsvc Posts: 4,004
    Hello Isk1,
    I am from GM Customer Service. I apologize that you are experiencing some concerns with your vehicle. Is this concern intermittent or everyday? Can you please email me with some more details about your situation with your vehicle? You can get my email address by clicking on my name. Thank you,
    Mariah
  • stu8mestu8me Posts: 2
    I dont know what the problems are with my car. I have had it for a year now and the same problem seems to persist, it's a rattling noise in the engine compartment. I have had it in the shop 5 times and now my warranty has run out and I am stuck and dont know what to do. first 3 times was the timing chain that had to be replaced after 2 months of my owning the vehicle. then I have gotten the runaround, having them fix some other things, so they say. But it's the same thing, when I go up a hill or I am low in gear, I lose power and it sounds like a big rig. Doesn't help that after 6 months my dealer that I bought it from closed up and can no longer sell GM products, hmmm... I am upside down on the car payments if I trade it in and I have no place to turn.

please respond if you can help me out

thank you
  • Can I have a little help with the problem I am having with my 2005 CTS ? PLEASE ?
    Hello stu8me,
    I am from GM Customer Service. Can you please email me with more information regarding your concerns? Was your vehicle only serviced at that dealership that closed? You can access my email by clicking on my name. Thank you,
    Mariah GM Customer Service
    Hello Bigjohn281,
    Please email me the details of the concerns on your vehicle so I can look into the situation further. You can find my email by clicking on my name. Thank you,
  • Hi Mariah,

I have a 2006 CTS and the identical issues as stu8me...are you able to advise?

For the life of me, I can't figure out how to email you directly....

Thanks,

Rick
    Hello Rick,
    My email is socialmedia@gm.com. I can look into your situation further with some more information from you. Thank you,
  • bigjohn281bigjohn281 Posts: 15
    did you get my response yesterday?
    Hello Bigjohn,
    Yes, I did get your message. I am going to email you back today. Thank you,
  • diesel54diesel54 Posts: 1
    I have a 2007 Cadillac CTS that after driving for 30-40 miles it will start bucking in situations where I need to eccellerate going up a hill or passing. It has started to do this when coming away from a stop sign but not as much. Has anyone else had this happen. When taken in for service, they have found no codes in the computer. They have been able to duplicate the situation slightly.
  • 2004 CTS 3.6L I have oil in my coolant. Enough to overflow the reservoir when running. I could smell coolant then saw a puddle under the car. Looks like it leaked from the overflow tube. First thought was the oil cooler. I am now being told the 3.6L 2004 does not have one. No water on dip stick or oil cap. Car did not over heat. Seems to run fine for now. Any ideas???
  • gm_bigotgm_bigot Posts: 19
    I have a 2007 and it started doing the same thing after about 25K miles. Two things going on. 1) There is a software update for the Transmission Control Module (TCM) that should be applied. If that doesn't fix it, then go to 2) Replace the torque converter.
    There is a TSB out there regarding this issue. Most likely, the torque converter will need to be replaced.
  • gm_bigotgm_bigot Posts: 19
    If you truly have oil in your coolant, then you have a blown gasket (head or intake manifold). DO NOT DRIVE THIS CAR! Take it to the dealer or your trusted repair shop. If you continue to drive it, you risk destroying your engine.
    Hello Diesel54,
    I am from GM Customer Service. Has the dealership put a reader in your vehicle so it can look for codes when your vehicle does have an issue? Are they currently working on the vehicle? Thank you,
  • avguy2avguy2 Posts: 7
    edited June 2010
    This thread is very interesting. I bought a 3.6L 2005 CTS brand new off the lot. I kept the oil changed in it at the dealer when the OLM system said until the dealer went out of business and the after that I did the oil changes at a local mechanic using Mobil 1 as suggested in the manual. I started to notice that the car was using about 1 quart of oil every 4 - 5000 miles. I spoke with a Cadillac dealer and they said this was not unusual. Then at around 75000 miles in 2008, and out of warranty it began misfiring on the way home from work and by the time I had made it home the engine was misfiring really bad and knocking really bad but no trouble light. When I was pulling into the driveway the check engine light finally came on and the oil level low warning came up. When checked the oil it was empty. Ihad checked it the previous day and it was full. I had my mechanic tow it to his shop and he found that the timing belt had jumped and bent 11 valves. I contacted Cadillac and they told me that because of the age of the vehicle and the mileage there was noting they would do. Still owing money on the car I spent the $5000 and had the valve train replaced.

The care ran fine for about 1 year until late last it developed a knock in the lower part of the motor. I was right back to where I started from except this time it needed a new motor and still being in debt up to my eyeballs from the last repair I called around and found a mechanic that put a used motor in it for $3000.

The bottom line is that my dream car became a nightmare. I will never get my money back on this car. A car that was $32K new has now cost me over $40k. DO NOT BY A CADILLAC!