Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Ford Expedition Stalling Problems

I have 2001 Expedition that the enigne will occasionally surge while coming to a stop. It seems as if you were stepping on the accelerator when you actually aren't.

It also has an intermitten vibration at medium speeds. The vibration feels as though you are driving over groves in the road.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
Jeff

Comments

• My 03 Exp. has suddenly started shutting down while I'm driving! There's no warning, and it starts right back up again, but I loose all power, and have to coast off the road to restart it. I took it to the dealership, and they found nothing. Told me to just keep driving till I break down!!! (Seriously????) I've seen several posts on different sites about the same problem, but no real answers. Any ideas???Thanks!!
  • So, just to answer my own question... The car crapped out again yesterday. Made it into the delership (barely!) and it had finally tripped the computer. They were able to trace it to a bad wire harness. Apparently they've been having problems with them on Expeditions. (Would have been nice if the word had gotten out to some of the dealerships!!) Anyway, they have my car now, and hopefully replacing this will solve my problem!
  • tidestertidester Posts: 10,110
    Glad to hear that! Post a follow up after the service to let us know how it turns out.

tidester, host
  • OK, so here's the follow up! My car runs great now. The dealership took great care of me, and Ford covered all but $100 of the repair cost, because I had such low mileage (under 50,000). So, I'm good to go!
    Thanks!
  • where is the fuel pump pressure gage located?
  • stinestine Posts: 4
    WE HAVE HAD THE SAME PROBLEM WITH OUR 2003 FORD EXPEDITION. THE VEHICLE HAS STALLED WHILE DRIVING TWICE. THE FIRST TIME WE TOOK IT IN, AND FORD SAID THAT THEY COULD NOT FIND THE PROBLEM. THE SECOUND TIME, IT HAS BEEN AT FORD FOR OVER 1 WEEK, WITH THEM DRIVING OUR EXPEDITION AND PUTTING ON 200 MILES OR SO, ON IT. WE GOT A CALL BACK, SAYING THAT THEY STILL HAVE NO IDEA WHAT IS WRONG, AND THEY ARE DONE LOOKING FOR THE PROBLEM, AND TO COME PICK UP YOUR VEHICLE. SO WE ARE NOW DRIVING AN UNSAFE VEHICLE, AND THEY DO NOT CARE. WE ONLY HAVE 40,000 MILES ON THE VEHICLE. WE TOLD FORD ABOUT THE WIRE HARNESS PROBLEM, THAT WAS REPORTED, BUT THEY DO NOT WANT TO HEAR ABOUT IT. PLEASE HELP. WE NEED TO FIND THE DEALERSHIP, WHO FIXED THE OTHER 2003 EXPEDITION. PLEASE HELP SOON, WE ARE DRIVNG A TICKING TIME BOMB, WITH 4 KIDS.
    HELP. MY WIFE, AND 4 KIDS ARE DRIVING IN A TICKING TIME BOMB. THE VEHICLE HAS STALLED TWICE WHILE SHE WAS DRIVING THE VEHICLE, AN BOTH TIMES, CLOSE TO SERIOUS ACCIDENTS. FORD SAYS THEY DO NOT WANT TO SPEND THE TIME FINDING THE PROBLEM, AND WE ARE FORCED TO DRIVE IT. HWLP IN APPLE VALEY
  • guestguest Posts: 774
    It took some time to figure out what was causing my Expedition to stall, because it never triggered the computer. I brought it in, and they couldn't figure it out. I was told to just keep driving it, until it really started acting up, and hopefully triggering the computer. I hated it, but had no choice. I kept driving, and sure enough, it kept stalling. Finally, it stalled 3 times in one morning, while driving. The last one, right in front of the dealership, triggered the computer. They were able to diagnose a "bad wire harness", which Ford apparently has a warning out on, and they replaced it. They even paid for all but $100, because I had low mileage on the vehicle. I took it to Pacific Coast Ford in Federal Way, Wa. 800-644-1021. Good luck. I know how scary it is to drive your family around in an unsafe car!!
    THANKS I WILL CALL THEM TOMMOROW. THAT IS PRICELESS INFO. I WILL ALSO CALL OUR DEALERSHIP IN VICTORVILLE, CALIFORNIA. THANKS. I WILL UPDATE ANY INFO I GET.
    THANKS FOR THE INFO ON THE DEALERSHIP, ETC. I CALLED AND GOT ALL THE INFO. THE FORD DEALERSHIPSUNLAND FORD IN VICTORVLLE CALIFORNIA, DOES NOT CARE ABOUT ANY INFO THAT I GAVE THEM FROM THE DEALERSHIP. I GAVE THEM THE CODE THAT WAS WRONG WITH THE CAR WIRE HARNESS. I GAVE THEM ALL THE INFO. THEY DO NOT CARE. THEY SAID TO KEEP DRIVING IT. I SO NOT KNOW WHAT TO DO, AND HOPE THAT WE DO NOT GET INTO AN ACCIDENT. THE FORD DEALSERSHIP IS NOT INTERESTED IN FIXING THE PROBLEM. IF THEY DO NOT GET A CADE THEMSELVES, THEY WILL NOT FIX THE PROBLEM. WE HAVE DETERMINED THAT WE WILL NO LONGER BUY ANYTHING TO DUE WITH FORD AGAIN, CARS, ETC. CUSTOMER SERVICE IS NOT WORTH IT. THANKS AGAIN FOR THE INFO. I WILL KEEP YOU POSTED.
  • I changed the transmission fluid and now it won't drive. It won't change into reverse or drive. Any ideas? Transmission fluid too low?
  • I am having the same problem of stalling with my 2003 Expedition I see where you say it is a bad wire harness. What does this mean? Where is it? We were told it sounded like a dirty air mass flow sensor.

I was driving 65mph the other night and it just shut off. I coasted to the side of the road. Put car in park, turned key off and it started right up.
  • I'm not exactly sure where the wire harness is, but Ford know's that there is a problem with it. They've not had enough reports to call a recall on it, but enough that they replaced mine for free. I would go to your local dealership and have them do a search on the faulty wire harness, and they certainly should be able to pull up some data on it. The situation you described sounds exactly what was happening to me. It started out sporatically, and then started to happen more frequently. On the day that it finally tripped the computer to come up with a diangostic code, it stalled 3 times in a 30 minute period, on being right in front of the dealership. I took it to the Ford Dealership in Federal Way Wa. (Pacific Coast Ford 800-644-1021) You could call there and see what information they could give you. They were very helpful.
    Good luck!
  • I've been having the same problems for several months. I've taken the Expedition to Ford several times and all they tell me is to rotate and balance my tires and do an alignment. Well I've done all the above and still feel the vibrations. I also took it to Good-Year to see if they could figure it and they said the vehicle was fine. Mine vibrates at the 40-50 speed.
  • Thanks for the response. That is about the same speed at which it happens for me as well. I've heard from a couple people that it may be the transmission fluid needs changed. I have done that but it still vibrates. I guess I will just try the process of elimination.
  • We had that same feeling on ours, just give it supreme unleaded for 3 or 4 tank refils :D
  • Well, the engine light came on last week. I took it to Advanced Auto Parts and the machine said that the error code was a misfire on cylinder 6. I took it to Ford and they gave me an outrageous quote so I took it to Goodyear. Apparently, the coils needed replacement. I've been driving the Expedition for 5 days and there hasn't been vibrations or shuttering. :)
  • I'll look into that. Am I able to go to Advanced or Goodyear and have them run a check on that? But first I have to put a new starter on tonight. I almost got stranded at Walmart last night.
  • Well, if you go to Advanced or Goodyear, they will only be able to pull up the current Check Engine Light... not previous codes that are stored. I heard there might be an overlooked issue. The radiator hose above the coils/spark plugs might crack and slowly leak onto the coils causing them to go bad... if your coils are bad and you get them fixed... try looking for a crack in the hoses... you might have one.
  • Can you tell me what the diagnostic P code was. I seem to be having a similar problem with mine and had replaced the fuel filter and plugs. It works better now because the filter was partially clogged and the plugs were worn. After I did that the truck would still hesitate but does it less often. I did try to force the issue by hard acceleration and found it seems to happen more often when I try to do a U turn. In that case it actually stalled. I then was able to restart right away and keep driving. In my case I am wondering if the problem is the harness where the left U turn shifts/stretches the harness to make it intermittant or there is still dirt in the fuel tank clogging up the inlet screen sometimes on turns. I pulled the new fuel filter off the truck again and blew thru it and found that was clear still with a full tank of gas.