Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Pontiac Aztek

Comments

• WOW 70 human beings ( well maybe) bought the Asstek in the good old USA..
    I wonder how many AMC Pacers were sold here, or
    Yugo's sold...Anybody know ???
  • AztecOwners Anonymous
    I think I would look for a support group too if I owned one. I can see the commercial now.

Hi, my name is Steve and I,...uh.....I..er..uh...

group: It's OK Steve, go ahead and just let it out

Ok, I drive an Aztec
    Blahhhhhhhhhh!
  • nrd525nrd525 Posts: 109
    Well, the ages seem right for the "ex wife" theory! Toledo has SOME mormons, but not a lot. Maybe the Aztek is a "cult" item? I did manage to make it to work last night without seeing an Aztek. Whew!!!. But I'd be willing to bet I see one of them on the way home. I have seen at least one daily since last week! (throwing up!!!)
    I really would like to know if this area is an Aztek "hive" or it's just my bad luck to see so many! I wonder who will be driving the Buick "Rendevous". My guess is old men wearing hats with the little feather on the side. They are truly the most dangerous drivers on the road!
    What happens to old men that make them wear hats when driving? (Baseball type hats don't count!)

Barry
  • kate5000kate5000 Posts: 1,264
    I'm commuting to/from Silicon Valley every day, and get to see a lot of cars on my 70 mi round-trip. A good chance to appreciate design of tail lights and rear ends (in traffic jam, that is ) ;-). Starting August, I'm watching for the Azteks to invade my commute route. By now, I've seen 2 Escapes, 1 Yugo (running!), plenty of Jaguars (for those who cashed on dot-com investments in time), Hummer-based limos, a couple of Rolls-Royces... but no Azteks. Hmmm.

BTW, all the Aztek billboards around here went down lately. A couple of them got replaced with Haloween "scary" ads, which I find ironic.
  • SporinSporin Posts: 1,066
    None on the roads in my area either. I saw one with Mass. plates about a month ago but that's it.

Of the 2 local Pontiac dealers, I have seen a total of ONE on the lot.

I live near Dartmouth College and the Mary Hitchcock Hospital and Dartmouth Medical School in what is commonly referred to as the "Upper Valley" right on the NH/VT border. A very affluent area with a giant influx of young families. I would have thought that my area was exactly the target demographic for the Aztek... but I've seen none on the roads.
  • I have to say that I have not seen one on the road yet! In the last month I have made a trip to Paradise Lodge on Mt Rainier (about 7000 ft)which is about a 150 mile roundtrip from where I live in Seattle. I also made a trip to Orcas Island in the San Juan Islands (WA State, not Puerto Rico)which was a round trip of about 300 miles. Maybe there are no Azteks because most folks in these parts are sold on Subarus. I saw more than my fair share of Soobs to be sure!
    Most people in my area who want an AWD go for Subarus or Audis, depending on budget. We are rife with SUV's and Minivans too.
  • It's interesting that the vehicle demographic of the NE is very similiar to the NW. I guess the weather is probably one reason. Yeah, I forgot to mention we are also(going to use your word...) rife w/minivans and SUV's. Of course...being out west and all, we also have a corral full of p/u's in all sizes shapes and colors! I live in a section of Seattle (Ballard/Greenwood) that is known for its concentration of Norwegian and Swedish heritage. Consequently, we have a lot of Volvo's and Saab's from all vintages running around. As I remember, the NE has a load of them too (the Volvo and Saabs, I mean).

Just to tie this post to the thread....I still have my eyes peeled for an Aztek sighting!
    Same here, LOT'S of old and new Volvos and Saabs. My second car is an '89 Volvo 240 Wagon, the thing is a tank and dead-simple to work on... I love it. :-)

We have a ton of pickups too, this being farm country and all.

I have noticed that the Subaru Outbacks and Foresters, and the Honda CRV's seem to be the choice of young, families in need of AWD around here. Isn't this the market that the Aztek is supposed to be invading???
  • I live in Tampa Bay, and I have yet to see a Aztek anywhere on the roads here...! I did see two at a Pontiac dealers lot, same ones that have been there for a month.
  • Let's see, so far we've heard from San Fran CA, Upper MA near VT/NH border, Seattle (Puget Sound region) WA, & Tampa FL. No Azteks, unless you count at the dealers. Seems most of the ones sold are in the Midwest area. Wow, that's really hitting Pontiac's demographic! :-)
  • gonzo7gonzo7 Posts: 259
    I live in Scottsdale AZ. Every house on my street has either a SUV or a Minivan. I have never seen one Aztek on the road. The dealer that was advertising them for $2500 below invoice still has loads of them. They used to be up front on display for all to see. Now they are all sadly huddled together in a side section of the car lot. They have about 20.

It really is kind of sad.

If Pontiac thinks this is what "cool" is they are pathetic.
    Their new 'youth' attempt reminds me of a 56 year old guy who buys some hair dye and makes his hair and eyebrows pitch black and starts wearing half buttoned rayon shirts. Hey sport- you just look like a dork.
  • nrd525nrd525 Posts: 109
    Just like I thought, I saw one of the green ones ( a really bad green, like the refrigerator we had when I was a kid), driven by a dark haired 45 year old woman. I've seen it three times now.
    That was on the way home from work yesterday. I went someplace yesterday afternoon, I parked my truck, and went in. When I came out, there was a white one, driven by a 30 year old woman with two little kids pulling into the sopt next to it.
    And last, I saw a red one driven by what looked like a 12 year old girl, but I'm hoping she was sixteen.
    I THINK I HAVE FOUND THE MAIN NEST!!! Tell the army, air force, etc...It's Toledo! Oh the humanity!!!Oh god, I am blind, my eyes!!
    "Upper MA near VT/NH border,"

Actually, I am in Central VT, right on the NH border. :)
  • jeno2jeno2 Posts: 11
    Yup.. My local Pontiac dealer still has their original order of 3 different Azteks. And, they too, have moved them from front-and-center to a side position somewhat hidden from main traffic flow.

I'd love to hear the sales figures for the country thus far. Last I heard was 1,400 from the WSJ article two months ago.
  • My apologies....sometimes I am geographically challenged :-). As a side note (and not because I'm feeling guilty) I've always wanted to see your part of the country. The closest I've been is NYC...which isn't very close. If I had the time, I would like to make a road trip in my 00' Soobie OB Ltd. Let's see, I could continue my Aztek sighting study as I went along...hmmmmm.
  • Ouch! I'm still laughing...my sides hurt! I think Pontiac must have a big red push pin right over Toledo on the demographic map. :-)

Gonzo: Ok, check, no Azteks in Scottsdale, AZ either (dealers not withstanding).
  • p0926p0926 Posts: 4,423
    Atlanta reporting: The only Aztek I've seen thus far was about a month ago on a car hauler on an area interstate. However, I did notice them advertised in last weekend's paper for the 1st time. I don't remember the specifics but I know that the ad mentioned "great deals available" along with a free "lifestyle package" which I took to mean the camping package. If you've absolutely got to have one, then it looks like you should at least be able to get a good deal.

-Frank P.
  • None of you people at all are talking about the Aztek you know that. Yeah you can go ahead and make jokes, . But you people can at least try to be informative.
  • p0926p0926 Posts: 4,423
    Actually, I think potential buyers checking this topic would be interested to know the availability/popularity of the Aztek in various parts of the country.

How's this for informative.... I thought the Car & Driver article that sporin refered to actually gave the Aztek a pretty good review. Of course, as he also pointed out, the Forester bested it in every area but one (cargo room). :-)

-Frank P.
  • Duh...I guess we must have been talking about some other Aztek....gee...thanks for observation, NOT!

Besides, as I recall you seem to have all the pertinent Aztek info anyhow. :-0

Frank: Thanks...Atlanta has checked in, zero Azteks spotted on the road (at least under their own power).
  • tincup47tincup47 Posts: 1,508
    I saw one on the road the other day, hope it was just passing thru. :)
  • You may be skewing my sighting survey :-)
    I give you this one though.

1 on-the-road sighting in the Great State of Maryland. BTW, I used to live in Landover and Ft.Meade in 2nd grade and junior high. I did some crazy things there to be sure :-)
  • alingaling Posts: 598
    The Aztek was parked next to the Insight at the EdmundsLive event. They actually look rather similar from this angle.

http://www.overboost.com/images/256/full/DSCN7826.jpg
    Drew/aling
    Townhall Community Leader/Vans Conference
  • Would you prefer cheese or crackers with that
    WINE....! I have followed this post because of the funny quotes here; However it seems only you and some lizard guy likes the Aztek. So maybe, just maybe, that might give you a clue of the popularity of the "Pumba the Talking Pig" ( thanks Edmunds) Aztek. SO my uneducated guess is that if 99% of the people in the USA do not like the Aztek that could spell doom for resale!!

I do think it was "Intellechoice" that stated it would be worth 50% of it's value in two years!!
    No car is an investment, but to lose that amount of value would be pure stupidity to purchase a car that loses 50% of it's value in just two years.

By the way my mother used to say " if you cannot stand the heat get out of kitchen"..........
  • When in the heck did I mention resale value? Me and some lizard guy huh? WHATEVERRRRRR. I just don't know how you can come up with things I didn't even say.
  • What's your deal anyhow? I think it's obvious to anyone else who reads Lxnownr's post that he was adding info to his topic and not stating that you "specifically" said anything about resale value. I've copied the first paragraph again for your viewing pleasure (re-read carefully, maybe slower this time).

"Would you prefer cheese or crackers with that
    WINE....! I have followed this post because of the
    funny quotes here; However it seems only you and
    some lizard guy likes the Aztek. So maybe, just
    maybe, that might give you a clue of the popularity of the "Pumba the Talking Pig" ( thanks Edmunds)
    Aztek. SO my uneducated guess is that if 99% of the people in the USA do not like the Aztek that could spell doom for resale!!"

It's quite clear that he started a new paragraph after this exerpt, having nothing to do w/you. All he expressed was that you and Triplizard seem to be in the minority as ones that like the Aztek especially when compared to the sales numbers.

Honestly, sometimes I think you either read to fast or see something that others don't!
    koolguy,

C'mon man... if you're going to drive an Aztek, you need to develop a thicker skin. In the last 10 or 20 posts, we've only been commenting on availability and sightings, the C&D road test and compared it to the Forester. How is that NOT talking about the Aztek????

If you've got something to add, jump right in. :-)

btw-A black one appeared at one of my 2 "local" Pontiac dealers yesterday. Still haven't seen one on the road.
  • kate5000kate5000 Posts: 1,264
    don't you think so? where are the Russian guy and Triplizard? and Evilone should be done with honeymoon by now, I think ;-)
  • I have not seen any Azteks in central NJ. I commute 60 miles per day and still haven't seen any actually purchased. The Pontiac dealer down the street has had the same two Azteks for months. The service manager takes one home every night to his house near mine. That's about the only use they'll get out of it. I looked in the inside once and hated it. And I have a radical new Grand Am with the "tennis ball" vents. Aztek is even beyond my wild taste!

When I see the Aztek parked in the manager's driveway, it looks like one of the 1980's Civics from the rear, with that funky hatchback. I see no redeeming value to this vehicle, especially for $27K. I like Pontiac, but they've struck out big time with this White Elephant.