Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Pontiac Aztek

Comments

• ray80ray80 Posts: 1,186
    Sorry to hear about all your troubles. Some sound familar. Intake gaskets I believe were an issue on many GM vehicles with 3.X engines from 97'-02'
    . Wheel bearings and AC condensor are fairly common issues on both the Pontiac and Buick I think (2001-2002's at least) and sticky hatch is an inconvience for sure. I have only heard of a few (like yours evidently) that seem to be prone to a never ending list of troubles.
  • My 2001 Aztek is usually garage-kept but since March 2004 my Aztek is parked outside. I noticed a huge water leak under the dashboard every time it rains heavily. It has been to the dealer for this but they haven't been able to correct the leak. They cleaned out the front sun-roof drains, then sealed the cowls, then replaced the windshield sealant, then the windshield, then they cleaned out the rear sunroof drains. It still leaks. Does anyone have any suggestions or have they had the same problems?
  • montanafanmontanafan Posts: 945
    It looks like the dealer has tried a lot of the simple and harder things. So I feel a little silly, but a common water leak source that shows on the passenger side of cars (I know this happpens to Grand Prixs, not sure if it is the same with Azteks) is the a/c evap case drain being clogged or disconnected. Has this been checked? Sometimes you can see this yourself on the engine compartment wall to the cabin under the hood, a small drain hose. If it can be seen, you may be able to check to see if it is clogged by using a wire coat hanger or such to probe it.
  • Thanks, they did mention that they redirected the AC drains at the same time they cleaned out the sun roof drains. They said the AC drains were directed into the inside compartment, this sounded strange to me since I never had a problem when using the AC. Would rain cause those to fill up?? The leak only occurs during really heavy rain. Thanks again!
    Since the AC system has to draw in outside air, it is possible to draw in outside water. So the drain will take care of that water and the condensation from the AC.
  • leolionleolion Posts: 2
    I just purchased a used(2002) aztek in july. I loved it right from the first ride.
    sad to say though, that I have already experienced issues within my first 1000 miles.
    the very first week the breaks squeeked every time I stopped. Took to the dealer, and after 2 hours of working on it(late for work) they were better. 1 week later it started again-but not as bad. was having parts installed so they checked again. ok now.
    the next bad thing was...when I signed the paerwork at the dealer when having parts installed-I noticed a line item that said check door locks-on a date before I bought vehicle. The funny thing is later that week I noticed a door lcok issue. I had the car off, and was unloading from the truck when I heard the doors lock-for no reason. that was on a sunday. I made an appt for the next friday(late for work again).
    Then on thursday, as I got to work, turned car off, and opened the door-my alarm went off-for no reason.
    friday i had family emergency and couldn't make the appt.
    going home friday evening my headlights and dash lights started blinking off and on.
    just great! within weeks of taking it home-my fear is I got a lemon.
  • I just traded my Aztek in against a new VW Touareg (loaded. I liked the Aztek a lot, and still think it is very innovative but poorly executed!

The quality is a real issue. Mine was a 2002 AWD with all the goodies. At 15000 miles the first front bearing/hub went, to be followed at 18000 by the other. The hatch never worked in cold weather (which is not really good if you live in the Northlands of the US). I had 4 new radios put in and the present one is still loosing about 2-3 minutes a week (my son's cheap Timex is better in keeping time). Pontiac appeased me by giving me free oil change services until the vehicle had 50000 miles. And now, at 52000 miles I had the head gasket blown, intake gasket leaking and air conditioning condenser with a hole in it. The total repair cost was about $5000, and my very good dealer service (the best about the whole car experience) convinced GM to pay it if I pay $500 deductible. Last week a new problem came up, the sun roof opens and closes only if it thinks it is time for it, disregarding me pushing the button (not too good in rainy weather). Well, that was it for me, I started to shop around and GM dealers were willing to give me $8000 (I paid over $25000 for it two years ago) for a GMC Envoy XUV (another very innovative vehicle from GM). Mercedes Benz wanted to give me $9000 for it, and VW topped that with $9500 (they all have the same playing field because I get supplier rebates with all three companies).

Again, I liked the Aztek and I think it looks interesting and I don't consider it to be ugly (those new boxy Hondas and Toyotas are ugly). Mine was equipped with all the Manik and Westin goodies and looked realy great. I still would drive it if it had a better reliability and a better track record.

I will now sign out from this forum and wish you all a good time with your Teks. I hope you have a better experience with them than I had.
  • jkilleyjkilley Posts: 1
    My wife and I recently bought a used 2001 Pontiac Aztek (I call it the [non-permissible content removed]-tek because of how ugly it is) and couldn't be more satisfied with it. My wife has always owned and suv of some kind from an '87 S-10 Blazer to the '92 GMC Yukon. I've always owned full-size General Motors IRON from the late 70's to the mid 80's. At first I thought "can I look out into my driveway and still like this car tomorrow?" YES. Granted, the car had 118,000 miles on it when we bought it, but it drives like a new car. No fluid leaks at all, new tires and a very clean interior...I was a little leary of the 3.4L V-6, since up till then the smallest motor I'd ever had was a 305 V8. I was impressed with the acceleration, the shifting (almost didn't notice it was shifting!) and the handling. The acceleration was comparable to the 1973 Buick Century I'd had as a kid. Slightly more sluggish than the 3.8, but fast enough. Everyone at work thought it was ugly, even my family said "Ugh!" On the upside, I'll never lose it in the parking lot. Ugly, but very utilitarian in design. It has almost the same measurements widthwise and lengthwise from the back of the front seats to the hatch and my wife's 1992 GMC Yukon, except with better gas milage. And I can still haul interior doors, mulch, dirt and lumber home it it!
  • leolionleolion Posts: 2
    I just purchased a used(2002) aztek in july. I loved it right from the first ride.
    sad to say though, that I have already experienced issues within my first 1000 miles.
    the very first week the breaks squeeked every time I stopped. Took to the dealer, and after 2 hours of working on it(late for work) they were better. 1 week later it started again-but not as bad. was having parts installed so they checked again. ok now.
    the next bad thing was...when I signed the paerwork at the dealer when having parts installed-I noticed a line item that said check door locks-on a date before I bought vehicle. The funny thing is later that week I noticed a door lcok issue. I had the car off, and was unloading from the truck when I heard the doors lock-for no reason. that was on a sunday. I made an appt for the next friday(late for work again).
    Then on thursday, as I got to work, turned car off, and opened the door-my alarm went off-for no reason.
    friday i had family emergency and couldn't make the appt.
    going home friday evening my headlights and dash lights started blinking off and on.
    just great! within weeks of taking it home-my fear is I got a lemon.
    Is it an aftermarket alarm system on the car? I can't recall a GM system that would activate an "alarm" on door openning unless the door was locked by switch then unlocked manually. It might even be a case where you need the salesperson to do a better job of explaining the door lock system. The Aztek does feature a delayed locking feature.

Brake noise is not an uncommon byproduct of the brake components used on todays cars. Especially a long life design system like the Aztek. It is not uncommon for a used car that has been on the lot for a while to have build up of surface corrosion on the brake rotors. This can take time to clean off or even require rotor replacement.
  • rogerarogera Posts: 2
    We have a 2002 Aztek -- in Aztek Yellow -- loaded that we really love. We were going to trade it in on something newer, but my sife wouldn't let me. She wants to keep it. She loves being able to find it easily in a parking lot. It is easy to put stuff in it and it holds a lot of stuff. Plus it tows our boat fine, no problem at all which I had wondered about since we have a 19 foot ski boat. What a great vehicle!
  • exzurexzur Posts: 166
    I too have a yellow Aztek, a 2001 GT AWD model. I drove this car in the NYC area from April 2001 up to October 2002. When I moved to Buffalo, the month after, the mileage on this car was not even 17,000.

Now the car has over 80,000 miles on the odometer. I drive to NYC almost every weekend, that’s why I have logged in 63,000 miles in 20 months.

The only problem I had was a leaking a/c condenser and a bad rear wheel sensor. After, these two parts were replaced, the car continues to run great.
  • rmrrmr Posts: 1
    Hi. First time posting to this site. I have a 2001 Pontiac Aztec with everything I want and nothing I don't. I LOVE IT!!! I love how the cockpit feels, the heads up display, how roomy it is. I just love it. I have 80K on it and I have no resale value. Blue book is $5450 and I owe $10K on it. I have also heard from two Pontiac dealers that the 2005 model is the last one they are making. That is still unofficial but that is what they heard. I want it to last forever because this was the last vehicle I was just going to keep trading it in on a newer model. I found a Toyota dealer to give me $7K for it and I test drove the RAV4. I like the looks of it but I dont' know. I feel so cramped in it and the backseat doesn't seem as big even though my daughter says that she liked it. I have two kids and I can't keep them far enough apart from each other. I will not go back to a van. I like the 4Runner but I can't afford it. Not sure what to do. I can't believe that no other SUV has a heads up display and everything else I like. Just looking for some feed back. Thanks.
  • ray80ray80 Posts: 1,186
    I don't have any suggestions on other vehicles, but as you always should do, try and find something that best meets your needs and desires. As far as the heads-up display, you might want to be looking at left-over 2004's as I think it is gone as an option on the 2005 Azteks. Good luck on whatever you decide on
  • I recently purchased a 2004 Aztek with 10,000 miles on it. Within a month, the car left me stranded at a Fazzolis restaurant. The ignition would crank, but the vehicle would not start. The dealership handled the issue well by referring me to a tow company and turning the vehicle over in a day (I'm normally not a fan of invoking warranties, but the John Elway dealership did not make it an unpleasant experience). The cause turned out to be a faulty $13.00 Ignition Relay which supplies power to the fuse. I love how the vehicle rides and am happy with the MPG. I am hoping I don't experience Gasket problems or Lock/Rear Hatch problems.
  • Stever@EdmundsStever@Edmunds YooperlandPosts: 38,978
    "The replacement, Pontiac Torrent, should gain momentum from GM's highly successful Equinox, a relatively small sport utility whose 3.4-liter V6 engine comes from a GM plant in China."

Bloomberg

Steve, Host
  • beach15beach15 Posts: 1,305
    It won't be a bad thing overall, except for the fact that this is the product of nothing but good old GM badge engineering!! What the heck is Lutz letting happen?!?! This was supposed to be over and done with, but they clearly have no intention of doing so anytime soon--the new GM CSV's are yet another example.
  • We've re-opened the dormant Pontiac Torrent discussion for those who have higher hopes for this upcoming model.

kirstie_h
    Roving Host & Future Vehicles Host

Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

• I bought an 04 Aztek 3 months ago ,have 12,000 miles on it already. I have 17 inch rim ,keep tires inflated regularly,use 87 octane ,best mileage on Hwy.27.4mpg, thats with cruise,and at 66MPH.,if you run the fast lane 70-75, expect 22-23MPG City i get 22-23 if i don't race everyone off the light. Car ride is comfortable :) Cons. That rear trunk latch,and problems with the keyless entered.
  • I DESIRE TO BUY A AZTEC (2001). I HAVE SEEN GOOD DEALS ON THE 2002'S -2004'S BUT I JUST CANT GET OVER THE BODY PANELS BEING GONE FROM THE LATER MODELS.

ARE THEY A BETTER HELP FOR SALT, SNOW, DIRT AND RUST PROTECTION?

SHOULD I GET AN UPDATED YEAR TO HAVE A "BETTER" VEHICLE BUT GIVE UP THE PANELING?

I REALLY NEED HELP