Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Pontiac Aztek

Comments

• Options
    gregeastongregeaston Member Posts: 128
    Speaking of hideous, "what-were-they-thinking!?" designs... In the "It makes the Aztek look pretty by comparison" category is the Isuzu Axiom.

Looks like Joe Isuzu himself designed it.

Has anyone driven it?

Would anyone be caught dead in it?
  • Options
    sr_bodysr_body Member Posts: 23
    Colby thought that the Aztek he won was so ugly, he promptly traded his in without even driving it.

Survivor producers were going to deliver the Aztek to Colbys home but he said he didn't want it. He tried to give it to his mom, but she didn't even want it, opting instead to keep her beater of a Tercel. Survivor producers sent it anyway. When the transport carrying the Aztek arrived, Colby told them to drive to the Pontiac dealer where he traded it in - big red bow & all - for a Firebird Trans Am.

It's now officially on record that GM can't even GIVE them away!
  • Options
    dindakdindak Member Posts: 6,632
    Hey ... Firebird would be cool. I could see him in one.
  • Options
    squiredogssquiredogs Member Posts: 87
    I like the Aztek, looks and all. But the price os out of whack for an old engine and slow sales. I've been holding out for like a $3000 rebate, especially since the 2002's are going to be priced cheaper. I'm still stewing over an Aztek vs. the AWD 130hp Vibe wagon. The Vibe should also be much cheaper. I posted in the vibe dicussion - anyone else think that the Toyota 130 hp engine will move the Vibe as well as the 185 hp GM 6 cy moves the heavier Aztek? The vibe seems to have all of the function of the Tek (5 passengers, liftglass/liftgate, fold down front seat, Versatrak) but the horsepower is a little sketchy. I'm by no means a speedy driver, but I'd like enough pickup for highway merges and crossing 4 lanes and stuff.

Dan
  • Options
    sr_bodysr_body Member Posts: 23
    Too bad the Vibe can't be had with both the AWD & 180HP engine. Maybe the Toyota version will.
  • Options
    lbthedoglbthedog Member Posts: 198
    things have gotten slow over at Tonycry's "Ugly" message so looks like the "crowd" is headed back here. It's no surprise that Edmund's is a site that people don't hang around for very long. Why bother when you've got to sort through so much childish gibberish. I know everyone has "the right" to an opinion but the hosts around here have no guts when it comes time to "toss out the garbage". So most will leave and the children can have their thrills. But can I ask you Tony a question? Do you honestly tell any of your friends or co-workers that you spend hours writing on the net about how you think a vehicle looks?

Nice concept that Edmund's has provided, sorry that it's been so misused.
  • Options
    tonychrystonychrys Member Posts: 1,310
    ...that you are so upset about what a total stranger writes. If you love the Aztek, great, good for you, enjoy it, good luck, happiness, etc., etc.

Just a few facts, I didn't start the Aztek ugly thread, in fact, it was in News and Views and for some reason the hosts decided to bring it over to SUV, which in turn gave it even more attention. That's my fault?

Spend hours writing stuff? You're kidding right? I happen to work with computers for a living, so whenever I need a distraction I'll do something like check my stocks, sports scores, or see what's up at Edmunds. A quick read through, maybe a message and I'm out. It's nice to have a job that gives me that freedom, isn't it?

I've obviously struck a nerve with you or you wouldn't be singling me out. Oh well. I guess everybody needs to blame someone. If someone calls my vehicle choice a POS, I could care less, I didn't buy it for them, I bought it for my family.

You seem to want this "Aztek private club", then fine, your answer is at Yahoo clubs. Stop your whining and take control of your life. Sheesh.
  • Options
    barresa62barresa62 Member Posts: 1,379
    I'll say it again, if someone is brave enough (individual enough, secure enough...insert adjective here) than they need to have a thicker skin. You will get teased...it's just that kind of vehicle. Now, them are the facts!

Stephen
  • Options
    When someone trashes my car I tell 'em to get in it and look around. Once they get past the funky exterior they really like the interior and all the gadgets and capabilities.

I mean, c'mon. How many other vehicles drive like a car, don't cost $43 to fill the tank, and can carry 4' X 8' sheets of plywood in the back?!
  • Options
    robynrrobynr Member Posts: 22
    Hi All!

My wife and I decided to brave the mosquitos last night and try to set up the tent that
    we got with our Steel Blue 2001 Aztek GT.

We had even gotten a retro-fit kit along with it to install rubber spring-end caps on the
    folding rear-seat latch mechanism. These are provided to avoid puncturing the air
    mattress that is provided with the camping kit.

The directions were all of 14 steps, very clearly laid out and the only major confusion that
    we had was figuring out where the Aztek logo was for "which way is up".

It went up in about 20 minutes, even with taking out the cargo tray kit, installing the
    end-caps and putting up the tent. My wife climbed in and zipped it up, proclaiming
    it wierd as she giggled. We're going to the Midwest Renewable Energy Fair next weekend;
    camping at the fairground. Wonder how many other Aztek tents we'll see?

Follow-up once we get back.

Robyn
    SE Michigan Aztek GT
  • Options
    Isn't that something that people do in grade school?

While I agree the Aztek is not great looking, trashing it over and over adds nothing to this thread at all.

Anyone seen any pictures of the 2002 Aztek yet??
  • Options
    My recent post here on Initial Quality was fact as reported by JD Edwards, it was not teasing. If you notice, I reserve my "cosmetic opinions" for the Ugly forum.

Now I got to get back to work so that folks don't think I'm spending all my time at Edmunds...

8-P
  • Options
    exzurexzur Member Posts: 166
    Taken from MSN CarPoint Auto Reviews:

Dan Jedlicka's Pontiac Aztek Review
    Adventuresome, practical sport utility with love-it-or-hate-it styling.
    Rating: 7 out of 10.

Daniel Heraud's Pontiac Aztek Review
    The Aztek shares its platform and most of its mechanical
    components with the Pontiac Montana...
    Rating: 69 %.

Dan Jedlicka's Lexus RX 300 Review
    Refined sport utility has excellent blend of comfort and practicality.
    Rating: 7 out of 10.

Daniel Heraud's Lexus RX 300 Review
    The RX 300 is closely inspired by the ES 300 sedan and shares its
    platform consisting of a steel unitized body equipped with front and
    rear independent cradles supporting the drive shaft as well as
    transmission and suspension elements...
    Rating: 68 %.

The Lexus RX300 and the Pontiac Aztek got 7 out of 10 ratings from Dan Jedlicka.

Dan Heraud rates the Aztek 1% better than the RX300.

Add the ratings of the many happy Aztek owners on the MSN Carpoint website. Plus the owners positive comments at www.epinions.com, yahoo, etc. etc. contradicts the J D Edwards or Powers initial quality survey results, tonychrys is bragging about.

I am done for the day. I'll post messages tomorrow if there is a need to....
  • Options
    Thanks for the entertainment!
  • Options
    countsmackula1countsmackula1 Member Posts: 61
    You Do realixe that each rating is meant to be used in comapsion to similar vehicles in PRICE CLASS as well as other functions. 1 Where in the world is a Pontiac compared toa Lexus, a luxury vehicle. That's saying the Aztek is a seven out of the ten for the category for affordable (20-000, 30,000) small to midsize all-wheel drives SUVS. The Lexus standard is the same way(luxury), but do you think that there's any real comparison besides size and room? The Lexus would chase that mutt all the way to the pound. Geez!!!!!!!!!
  • Options
    fedlawmanfedlawman Member Posts: 3,118
    You are incorrect. From where do you infer that Mr. Heraud has sub divisions for each type of SUV? According to Mr. Heraud's chart, he tests each SUV using the same conditions, same instruments, and same techniques to arrive at a fairly scientific rating.

His chart clearly demonstrates that he compares EACH SUV WITH THE AVERAGE FOR ALL TESTED SUV's IN THE EACH FUNCTIONAL AREA. In his comparison, he rates the RX300 as follows (with the average for all SUV's in parenthesis). He rates the Aztek with the number on the far right.

Engineering 80% (74%) 80%
    Driving 58% (56%) 55%
    Equipment 75% (74%) 76%
    Comfort 71% (67%) 77%
    Budget 56% (51%) 61%

You can debate and question his logic if you want, but it is clearly Mr. Heraud's UNBIASED opinion that the Aztek is a good vehicle that compares favourably with other SUV's.

Here is my take on the Aztek. It offers performance, comfort, versatility, all-weather traction, unique style, and a reasonable price. Negatives include unique style, questionable resale value, and GM parts bin materials.

What else can you say about the Aztek that hasn't already been said ad nauseum?

BTW, one interesting tidbit I didn't previously know is that the Aztek is 1 decibel quieter than the RX300 at 70 mph cruise (and that's with a roof rack installed), and only 2 decibels noisier at wide-open throttle.

P.S. For the record, I don't particularly care for the Aztek either. I simply don't feel that your diatribe is an effective means of evaluating the pros and cons of a vehicle.
  • Options
    lbthedoglbthedog Member Posts: 198
    I don't care if I insult you. C'mon tell the truth, you get some sort of pleasure insulting Aztek owners or anybody interested. Struck a nerve, you did. I sure don't see any/many Aztekers running around trashing message boards, why should you? I've said it before and while many think the styling sucks, at least they have the class to make the statement once and move on.

Somebody posted that a "Survivor" contestant traded his Aztek prize towards a Firebird. No confirmation, just rumor. Of course the person twisted that into a flame. Have any of you won or known anybody who has won a large prize such as a vehicle or vacation? It is by no means out of the ordinary to negotiate a different prize out of the situation. Some times the tax burden will change acceptance of the prize, sometimes winners will upgrade. By no means is this unusual. But if the prize is an Aztek.... just look at the tone of the postings on this board.
  • Options
    robh3robh3 Member Posts: 157
    I was visiting out of town guests this weekend who were staying at the Beverly Hills Hotel in Bervly Hills, CA. I parked on Crescent Dr. right next to the hotel and parked right in fron of me was the coolest Aztek I have seen yet.

It was all black, with black tinted windows, and it has very nice after-market chrome wheels and tires that were much wider than stock and filled out the wheel wells very handsomely.

I would have to honestly say that this color combo (minimizes the stand-out look of the dark gray plastic cladding) with the cool wheels was a looker for sure! And in Beverly Hills!!!
  • Options
    kahkgozinyakahkgozinya Member Posts: 8
    The story about the Survivor guy isn't a rumor.

He was at the national F-Body gathering in Memphis with his jet-black WS6 T/A. It wasn't an official Survivor contestant appearance, he was just there. A bunch of us got to talk to him & BS about F-Bodys. Someone gave him a hard time about the Aztek he won, and he explained (exactly as the poster above already detailed) that he traded it in w/o even driving it. Pontiac even offered him some BIG BUCKS to be an Aztek pitchman. He said, "I don't need the money that bad!"
  • Options
    Is a survey of initial quality for the first 90 days of ownership. The information is valid but limited.

My opinion - People overwhelmingly believe that Toyota and Honda are the best cars on the market today. In fact, Toyota and Honda charge a premium for their cars in no small part because of this perception.

JD Powers ranked Honda 11th, which is worse than three GM marques (Buick, Saab, and Caddilac).

JD Powers ranked Toyota 5th, tied with Saab (which has a rather poor reputation) and just one place ahead of Buick (with a difference of only 2 problems per 100 vehicles). Also, if you average Toyota and Buick quality over the last three years, they rank an identicle 5.6.

Some of the Pontiac and GM bashing that goes on here is valid (albeit superfluous). Of course, GM has it's share of problems and the vehicles they build aren't perfect.

Toyota isn't perfect either. RX300 owners are experiencing thumping noises from their suspensions, rattling sunroofs, and buzzing doors. I read that a few Highlander owners are placing rags in their weatherstripping to curtail wind noise.

Let's give credit where credit is due. People are willing to spend upwards of $40,000 for an AWD RX300 and for that price, they expect vehicular nirvana. No doubt about it, it's a great car, and maybe the closest any SUV gets to nirvana.

When somebody spends $25,000 for an Aztek, guess what? They are not getting or even expecting nirvana. What they expect (and what they are getting) is a great car for the money. One that offers good performance, a good amount of luxury features, and a quiet, comfortable, versatile cabin...all wrapped in an admittedly off-the-wall package.

RX300 posters (including you) stated that LUXURY means:
    cabin comfort
    minimal road/wind noise
    good suspension (absorbs bumps, responsive handling, etc.)
    superior sound system
    smooth, quiet, responsive engine
    high-tech (memory seats, steering wheel controls, dual auto climate controls, etc.)

Do these look familiar? They should. With the exception of engine smoothness, all of them describe the Aztek (and the engine, although no sewing machine, is far from rough).

Do I mean to say that the Aztek is a luxury SUV? No. It LOOKS nothing like a luxury SUV and it doesn't match the level of quality and refinement of a Lexus or Acura. But looks aside, it does a damn good impersonation (especially from the driver's seat).

Lexus and Acura know how to build cars that incorporate all of these traits in a uniform and appealing manner. The cars FEEL right and LOOK right. This is where the Aztek falls short, taking a concept that looks great on paper but doesn't come together quite as effectively. The Aztek is not vehiclular nirvana, but for what it is intended to be, it is a great vehicle.

Speaking of vehicular nirvana, how 'bout that Rendezvous!
  • Options
    I agree.. GM gets a bad rap because of it's past. Fact is, over all GM is basically tied with Nissan for initial quality and better than all other domestics. It's also closing in on Toyota and Honda.

Yesterday I was picking my daughter up from day care and another parent pulled up in an Aztek. I was surprised as to how quiet the vehicle rides by. I asked the mom how she liked it and she said, "once you get used to the looks it's a decent truck". Pretty much what I think also though I don't think I will buy one.
  • Options
    Tonychrys, My father in law owns a top of the line 2000 Lexus RX300. I have driven this car a lot. I know what an RX300 is. The RX300 is not that excellent car you think it is as the Aztek is not the worst car you would want us to believe. Laughing is a good way of turning your back on reality.

Countsmackula1, Please tell "GET A GRIP ON REALITY" to Daniel Heraud and Dan Jedlicka. The following are the credentials of these two professional car reviewers. Plus the testing methodology used by Daniel Herauds. Again, the AZTEX score is 69%, Rx300 68%

Daniel Heraud is regarded as one of North America's leading
    automotive authorities. An active automotive journalist for more
    than 20 years, Heraud’s work includes a weekly automotive
    column, a radio program and four annual car and motorcycle
    buyer's guides. Heraud's operation is based in Quebec.

A former electrical engineer, Daniel brings a critical and trained
    eye to the vehicles he evaluates. Each year he and his staff test
    more than 200 cars and trucks. The results of these tests are
    published annually in Road Report, a 400-page book.

MSN CarPoint is pleased to bring you exclusive online versions of Heraud's hard-hitting evaluations in Daniel Heraud's Test Drive, a collection of 347 interactive car and truck reviews—available only through MSN CarPoint.

Dan Jedlicka has been an automotive journalist for nearly 30
    years. All of that time has been spent at the Chicago Sun-Times,
    where he continues to write weekly columns on new and classic
    cars. Dan has also been a television host and consultant for PBS
    and FOX-TV, appears frequently on radio and television shows,
    including NBC’s Today, ABC’s 20/20, and The CBS Evening
    News, and has seen his automotive articles printed in national
    magazines including Esquire, Penthouse, and Harper’s.

In 1995 Dan was the recipient of the Better Business Bureau of Chicago and Northern Illinois, Inc. Consumer Education Award, given annually to an organization or person who has gained distinction in the field of consumer education. He also is an annual member of the North American Car and Truck of the Year Jury, composed of a select number of auto journalists from across the country.

An enthusiast who has owned 25 high-performance cars, Jedlicka appreciates the subtleties that separate the exceptional from the merely good. In his career he has reviewed more than 3,000 new cars for the Sun-Times, averaging over 100 per year. For MSN CarPoint, Jedlicka is filing weekly reviews on some of the newest cars and trucks on the road.

Testing Methodology

Each vehicle featured in Test Drive undergoes a comprehensive week-long evaluation by Daniel Heraud and his team of four testers. Using the latest in state-of-the-art measuring equipment, each car is driven on the same 28-mile test loop to ensure consistent comparison results. Tests on some General Motors, Ford, and Chrysler vehicles are conducted at their respective proving grounds in Detroit and Phoenix.

To test acceleration, braking, and roadholding, Heraud's testers use the industry-standard Vericom 2000 testing equipment to achieve accurate, reliable, and consistent results. Performance tests are run in two directions to compensate for any wind effects. For interior sound levels, they use a professional sound meter, while for fuel consumption, a fuel flow meter is employed.

The 28-mile loop used for open-road evaluation contains a mix of terrain ranging from smooth highways to rough and twisting back roads. Each member of the test team drives and evaluates each vehicle on this loop. Team members then meet to compare notes and insights on each vehicle tested.
  • Options
    After putting on these two cars thru the testing methodology described on my previous posting, Daniel Heraud score is AZTEK 69%, RX300 68%.

Countsmackula1, Tonychrys, GET A GRIP ON REALITY....
  • Options
    Obviously, one cannot compare these two vehicles as they are in a different price and class category.

The scores that these vehicles received on Carpoint.com should not be interpreted to mean that the Aztek is a better car than the RX300. Instead, they demonstrate that two evaluators, using somewhat scientific methods, found each car to have strengths and weaknesses in different categories. Overall, compared to the average for all SUV's, they both compare favourably.

The RX300 scores high marks for it crash test scores, VSC, and other safety features. It also scores high for luxury and customer satisfaction.

The RX300's average was pulled down because of limited cargo room, high price, and tire/wind noise.

The Aztek fared better in some categories (cargo room comes to mind) but scored lower than the RX300 in other categories.

Again, they both compare well to the average SUV score but clearly, the RX300 is a high buck luxury SUV and the Aztek is not. Let's not discredit the strengths and appeal of the Aztek by trying to argue that it is superior to the RX300.

If one wants a premium SUV that offers quality, luxury, and safety, the RX300 is a great choice. If, on the other hand, one wants an SUV that offers utility, comfort, and features at an affordable price, the Aztek should be considered.
  • Options
    xmf314xmf314 Member Posts: 154
    It doesn't matter what positive things reviewers say about the Aztek. The Aztek's homely, bizarre, grotesque, repelling, repugnant, repulsive, uninviting, hideous, plug-ugly looks far override the positives. That beast can only be saved if the General pries off much of the plastic and wraps it in respectable sheet metal.
  • Options
    drzoom1drzoom1 Member Posts: 86
    Anybody used a teather strap on the rear center bench seat? Owners manual shows a metal hook on the floor. I do not see it in my 'Tek.

I have one car seat teatherd on the window seat per the owners manual instructions (the teather strap fastens at the base of the seat), but I do not see a fastner for the middle car seat.

Am I missing something here?
  • Options
    goldztekgoldztek Member Posts: 3
    drzoom1,

I don't know if this is what you are looking for, but I have a hook under the cargo tray, on the rear floor for a child seat teather. (Or at least the picture on the lid of the cargo tray leads me to believe that's what it's for).

There is a removable plastic plug in the bottom of the cargo tray that gives access to the hook.

It would have to be a long connection to reach, but give it a try.
  • Options
    drzoom1drzoom1 Member Posts: 86
    Does that mean the cargo tray does not slide out? Regardless, I'll check it out.
  • Options
    robynrrobynr Member Posts: 22
    drzoom1,

The cargo tray does indeed slide out.

To remove the cargo tray, one must unlatch it, pull it out a bit, unhook the safety straps,
    and then lift it over the rear latches.

When in a latched position (pushed in or pulled out), there is a pin that secures the tray from
    moving in or out, and hooks that secure it up and down. In the intermediate positions the tray
    rolls on rubber wheels in a track.

Once removed, the cargo tray is easily carried by the pull handle; suitcase style. But they took
    the design a leap forward. There is a set of wheels mounted in-line along the back edge of the
    cargo tray that allows you to roll it length-wise in this vertical position.

The track that the cargo tray rolls on is also removable. To do so you push down on an unlocking
    tab on each side and slide them inwards, releasing the tray which then tilts up and out. What
    you are left with are those circular mount-points on the floor (non-removable as far as I can see).

They really did a fantastic job on the usability of all parts of this vehicle!

Robyn
    SE Michigan Aztek GT
  • Options
    jmaterojmatero Member Posts: 253
    Interesting... that guy at Carpoint also gave the Kia Rio a 69... and the Kia Sephia a 67.

So, based on your thinking, the Aztek is just as good a car as the Kia.

I'll subscribe to that theory.

;)
  • Options
    oac3oac3 Member Posts: 373
    I am here in Seoul, S. Korea thru' the weekend on business. Have seen pulenty of Kia's, Hyundai's, Daewoo's to last a last-time. Kia's are second-rated even in Korea, second to the almighty Hyundai. I wouldn't rate the Kia Rio or Sephia above a 30, from my vantage position here (of course, they are called by different names here in Korea, e.g. Elantra (US) = Avante (Korea))...

fedlawman: great posts, no doubt. glad to read your clarification of the comparison b/w the 'Tek and the RX. it is silly to even consider, albeit remotely, using the word LUXURY in the same sentence with the AzTek, regardless of how you define L.

Lovely country, S. Korea is... So Asian, yet so American...On Itaewan, you'd get anything you want if you can bargain. Gotta have great negotiation skills around here to get good value for your money. And, the Korean's are by far the most patriotic folks this side of the planet. 99% of the cars on the roads are Korean-built. Geez.. Gotta love their devoutness to their country. Makes me realize what extent die-hard, red-blooded Americans will do to "buy American".... Gotta love those who are patriotic about their country.

Wish Canada my country has any vehicles to "die for".... Nah... You either buy American, or whatever else. For my money, I own "whatever else". No American car for me, puleezee...

Hope this did not strike a cord or two around here :-)
  • Options
    And so is the RX300.

It looks like you want to put AZTEK in the class of the KIAs, that you forgot the RX300.

FEDLAWMAN did an excellent summation of the AZTEK and RX300 reviews. I agree with him 99%. That is how the AZTEK should be look at. Not the way the gang of bashers paints dirty pictures on the car.
  • Options
    "The Kia is as good a car as the Aztek. I'll subscribe to that theory"

Sarcasm notwithstanding, it appears that you are right and wrong about the Kia ratings. Since the Sephia is a car and the Aztek is an SUV, they are on different charts so their ratings cannot be compared with each other directly. The Kia Sportage on the other hand, which Mr. Heraud rates and compares to SUV's, scores a 63%.

Mr. Heraud's SUV chart indicates that the Sportage scores below average for Engineering, Driving, and Equipment. That seems about right.

He rates the Sportage average for comfort and above average for budget (of course).

BTW, the Kia Sephia, a passenger car, got a 64%, not a 67%. Compare that with the Honda Civic, which got a 71%. The Sephia scored above average in only one area. Budget. Right on.

P.S. I want to thank Exzur for pointing out this useful website to me. I never knew it existed and it contains helpful information.
  • Options
    I suggest you look into the details of Daniel Herauds car reviews. He gave the RIO a very high score in price. Main reason for the high mark. The rating of SEPHIA is 64% not the 67% jmatero reported.
  • Options
    I have never been to Korea but my brother lived there for 2 years (he was an Army linguist). He told me that you cannot buy or drive any car not made in Korea.

He hasn't lived there in seven years so I wonder if this is still true. Do you know?

I agree with you. Hyundai has come a long way is quickly approaching Japanese standards. Kia is definately a step behind them.
  • Options
    Your comments are far from surprising. You won't buy an American car/truck no matter how good they are. I find it amusing how openly biased and predjudised you are and yet you continue to post in this and other domestic forums. Why bother?
  • Options
    Turn the argument around, the same could be said for all the GM supporters. Bias works both ways. I personally think I have a right to criticize GM: I've owned GM vehicles in the past and currently own a late model right now. GM is a shame, the car market was theirs to lose, they are suceeding in that. Nobody hands you long term sucess, you have to work for it.
  • Options
    FYI.. Owned Honda, Mazda and Ford in the past. Last 2 cars have been GM though. I agree, GM has been putting all their beans in trucks lately. Seems to be changing slowly. The w-body is still the best selling platform though.
  • Options
    ...when I say I want GM to suceed. Like many others, I have "GM Card points" building up, that's what got me into my current GM car. But after owning a lot of new Nissans (wasn't done on purpose, they just always seem to have a nice, sportier cars when I needed to purchase), I partially regret my latest GM purchase. It's just a "cheap" car in terms of materials and technologies (the noisy 3.4L V6).

And when we were shopping for a SUV this winter, I was this close to getting a loaded GMC Jimmy. But after I did my research (saftey tests suck, lack of certain active safety systems) and the fact that the design was way outdated (only had 190hp V6 as an engine option), it was clear that GM was once again behind the curve.

You might be saying, "could you have held out for the 2002 models?". Answer: No, our lease was up and the vehicle was out of warranty. And I'm glad I didn't wait. Hear about the major recall already on these things? Plus, for a supposedly redesigned vehicle, they screwed up the ergonomics big time. Do me a favor and try to get into the back seat, the rear door comes so far over the rear wheel well it's ridiculous. And I thought our previous Pathfinder was bad regarding this, GM did even worse.

Ok, that's my GM rant for the day, back to work...
  • Options
    tonychris - I looked at an Envoy when shopping for my Rendezvous and was able to pull trim off the doors and dash without effort. There are some things GM does well and other things they don't.

They do build well engineered, quality cars when money, time, and engineers are invested. Just look at the new Corvette and Seville. They are solid, quality, thoroughly modern cars in every respect.

I think it all boils down to price. GM cars cost less to build and sell for less than the imports. On the other hand, a $35,000 GM car compares well with $35,000 imports...especially since you can probably buy it for $29,999!

I think the Grand Am V6 is a good car and a good value for the money. It's well built, reliable, and fast. I like the Alero better but they both demonstrate value for your dollar.
  • Options
    Though I'm trying to get some work done(!), I can't resist conversing with someone who knows what they are talking about.

You make some good points about the Vette and Seville, though neither are my cup-of-tea. I never liked Vette's as sport cars becuse they represent "brute-force" engineering, "hey, let's drop the biggest engine we can into something and put it as low to the ground as possible so it won't flip over". I'm from the school of "finese engineering", which makes me a Porsche a fan. But that has nothing to do with GM quality, so I'll stop digressing.

The cost of domestics: This is where I rant. I truly believe that domestics feel "cheaper" because the company has to cut corners in material/technology selection due to the higher price of UAW labor.

Look at it this way: GM says they will build a mid-size sedan to compete in the same market as the Import Model-X, which is the market leader in its category. Model-X currently sells for $xxx dollars. GM marketing says, we have to price our car at $xxx minus yyy dollars in order to steal some market share. Ok, so now they have the general design (mid-size sedan) and the target market price.

You now start working backwards for costing-models. They have production process-models from previous cars that tells them that to build a mid-size sedan in the factory takes ZZZ hours. Each one of those hours is already tied to a UAW contract price, which ain't cheap. (ever see some of those workers that barely have a high school education making over $20 an hour? that's insane). So basically your labor costs on the car are fixed, determined, and non-negotiable before you even begin.

Ok, so now that leaves you with $WWW left over to actually spend on research and developement, and the actual quality/type of vehicle modules/materials/parts. The selection and costs of parts is always negotiable with your suppliers. This is where the vehicle suffers. You get a competent design, but it's never "best-of-breed".

And notice when the Import Model-X now gets built in this country? The factory almost never employs UAW workers. That's how they keep the price down, plus since they are now saving on tariffs, the parts selection quality doesn't suffer.

Unions were a necessity in the early 1900s when workers were getting exploited and killed on the job. I think many of them exist nowadays to simply give nice jobs to the union officers.

I obviously agree with you on the GA or I wouldn't have bought it . But I keep resisting the urge to sell it for something nicer. The practical side of me knows I'm saving money by holding onto it, but the "aesthetic side" of my brain is just offended by it. And unlike others, I'm not afraid to admit when I regret a purchasing decision, afterall, it's just a hunk of sheetmetal ;-)
  • Options
    oac3oac3 Member Posts: 373
    you asked: <....He told me that you cannot buy or drive any car not made in Korea. He hasn't lived there in seven years so I wonder if this is still true. Do you know? ...>

I don't live in Korea, but I did ask my business coleagues out here. They tell me that their really is no law against buying 'foreign', at least none recently made. There are foreign cars here (though few and far between) - mostly Mercedes, BMW and a few Caddy's - just that owning one is status symbol, since they are sooooo expensive....

dindak: I am tempted to respond to you, but... Nah ! not worth my beauty time... LOL ! Maybe when you buy a real SUV, then you and I can have a meaningful (did I say, unbiased) discussion on any fora of your choice....

Go 'Tek, there are some beauty-challenged vehicles out here in Korea, that would make the aestheics of the Aztek demure by comparison... just my opinions, of course.
  • Options
    oac3 - thanks for the info. I do seem to remember him mentioning some of the luxury marques being there in small numbers. You do remind me of how ironic it is that American muscle cars are so desireable in Asia...in fact, anything which represents cliched Americana is sought after by Gen X'ers over there.

tonychris - yours is more complex. I am home with the kids this week while my wife parties in Vegas, hence all of my surfing and posting.

I don't begin to know anything about labor unions so I cannot really commment. I do agree that unions were needed years ago and they now are not as important (with the exception of some industries where they traditionally don't exist...some health care workers and teachers to name two).

Overall, your commment about higher labor costs resulting in lower quality for the price makes sense on the surface. I'm sure it is somewhat more complicated than that. For example, American manufacturers (GM and Ford) each produce cars and trucks under multiple brand names. In other words, they are able to mass produce many more car models and trim lines, and have them all built at fewer plants. It is logical to think this may offset the higher labor costs.

GM has been around a long time. They operate under an old and established paradigm which the Japanese don't acknowledge.

GM learned a lot from the Japanese in the late 80's and 90's and incorporated a lot of their methods...and quality improved. Yes, they still do some things the old fashioned way, but that's not necessarily a bad thing. As I read your comments about the mid-size sedan, I couldn't help think of the Olds Intrigue. Bias aside, it compares very well to the Camry and Accord (the previous generation, of course) and doesn't give away any ground to them. I think the PERCEPTION that Honda and Toyota are the best and GM is crap is largely a myth. Of course, not all models apply, your Grand Am is a good example of your argument.

I happen to prefer "finesse" engineering myself. I don't have a "German" budget so I have settled for 2 CRX's, 1 Sentra SE-R, and a Miata over the years (my 91 SE-R was a virtual performance, size, comfort twin of my uncle's 89 325i). Your "drop the engine in a car" comment applies more to the Camaro/Firebird than it does to the Corvette. I think the Vette truly stands toe-to-toe with anything out there within $30K of it's price...it need not apologize for anything.

Now, I have had a 95 Firebird Formula V8 as a company car for 3 years. From my experience, it is an example of the GM you are referring to. It is a large displacement, pushrod engine, attached to an "old-tech" chasis, with big fat Goodyears to keep it on the ground.

Coming from my sports car history, you can see it is not at all my "cup of tea" but you know what?
    It is a blast to drive! I love the torque and the handling (on smooth roads anyway) and the factory stereo rocks! Of course, there are 6 different rattles that I cannot get rid of, some of the trim is falling off, and the general design is highly inefficient (the car is way too large for such a tiny cockpit). It's old, crude, and inexpensive. But it works, and well! It's been reliable and my mechanic finds it easy to work on and obtain parts for. I would never own one but as a freebie, I wouldn't drive anything else.

Your discussion is completely valid and I'm impressed with your insight. Again, I don't know enough about labor unions to really get into a discussion. Since I have the ultimate in job security (federal employee), I honestly have never given it much thought.

I enjoyed this discussion and appreciate your willingness to "meet me in the middle". I think we have both learned something from each other.
  • Options
    oac3 : Oh I see, I have to OWN an SUV before I can participate in these conversations. Given you obvious anti-American prejudice, it's probably not worth discussing any thing with you. No matter what I say, you will tell my your Toyota is better. Just go back to your bashing, it's easier that way.

tonychrys : I agree with you that GM needs to work on fit and finish, but their cars are reliable now and I do think they are working hard on it. I do disagree with you on the new GM trio of SUVs. They are getting praise everywhere (including Edmund's). The Rendezvous is also getting great praise. I test drove both the Rendezvous and the Trailblazer and I thought both were excellent. I'm not sure what I can afford next year (that's when our lease is up), but I'm thinking Rendezvous simply because it gets better mileage and is more affordable. Then again if they fix the Aztek to my liking, it may come on the radar also.
  • Options
    You are absolutely correct about GM quality...I wish I had been able to say it in one sentence like you did. On average, fit and finish may be one notch below the best of the imports (primarily on their economy cars), but quality is good and getting better.

I also agree with you about the new trio of SUV's and the Rendezvous. I chose the Rendezvous because it offers everything that the imports have at a significant price advantage.

I know I'm sounding like a broken record, but...I think the Rendezvous and Aztek actually benefit from GM's parts bin philoshophy. That is what allows them to be so affordable. Using the parts bin is an effective way to save money. Instead of engineering new engines, chasis, etc., efforts can be devoted to improving existing technology (in this case significantly) and producing a quality product.

The Aztek fails somewhat in it's physical appearance but that's not the fault of the vehicle. It was intended to look the way it looks, and it was a gamble. Otherwise, everything came together well. The Rendezvous takes the one complaint folks have with the Aztek and wipes it off the slate.

It has all the luxury and yes, build quality of the imports, offers virtually every imaginable feature (and a few originals), has at least as good NVH, ride and handling, and perhaps most importantly, it has that intangible "just right" aura that the imports seem to have more often.

The Rendezvous is at least as quiet as the Aztek, which turned out to be comparable to both the Lexus RX300 and Acura MDX at cruise and full throttle.

It's not perfect, the engine is a little throaty at high RPM's (not a negative in my opinion) and a little lacking in freeway passing power, but the numbers do indicate that it's noise and performance is on par with the competition (better than some and worse than some).

I will admit that I like the MDX a little better than the Rendezvous. The cockpit feels just a little "more right" to me. The MDX also has a split fold 3rd row which is more versatile than the RDV's bench. Finally, the MDX offers a NAV system, which I could care less about.

Oh well, overall, it is a very slim and subtle margin, and one which I will gladly sacrifice in order to save $8,000 (I got my RDV for $27,000), long waits, and dealer indifference.

BTW, thanks for the excuse to brag about my RDV dindak! I am getting restless waiting for my car to arrive.
  • Options
    I hope the Aztek owners don't take my last post the wrong way. I still assert that the Aztek is a great vehicle for it's intended market.

I should have clarified that the Aztek is a sport orientated vehicle and the RDV is a luxury oriente vehicle. They both share some of the same positive (and negative) attributes.
  • Options
    I just like my Aztek. At 26 years old I am the target market. The fit and finish are much nicer than most GM vehicles. It comes with every feature I could ever want in a vehicle and it's a blast to drive.

I can't believe a vehicle causes this much controversy. It can't be just over the looks. The Vehicross and Axiom are both much more visually.... stunning. And for the record, I like the Vehicross, too. It's just too small.
  • Options
    goldztekgoldztek Member Posts: 3
    DRzoom1,

With the teather strap installed for the middle seat, you wouldn't be able to slide the cargo tray out. (Unless you unhooked the strap that passed thru the cargo tray.)

That might be a good time to use the net system, instead of the cargo tray. So many features, you have to decide how to equip your Aztek on any given day!
  • Options
    goldncanoegoldncanoe Member Posts: 1
    Has anyone had experience carrying a canoe on top of their Aztek? We have a 17', 70 lb. canoe and are considering buying an Aztek if it is up to the job. We like to take our canoe to lakes that are several hundred miles from home and need to be able to do it safely with a reliable vehicle. The owner's manual warned against carrying loads that extended beyond the windshield. We asked our salesman and he said all cars have that warning but our current vehicle ('96 dodge Grand Caravan) only says that loads extending over the windshield must be secured to the front and rear bumpers.
  • Options
    jmaterojmatero Member Posts: 253
    i think some of you misunderstood me... I was responding to a postee who was claiming the Aztek was just as good a vehicle as the Lexus RX300 because a reviewer on Carpoint.com gave it a similar "rating number". I was just trying to show him that it means nothing because a Kia Rio (inferior to the Aztek in every regard I believe...) got the same rating as an aztek and RX300... does THAT mean the Kia is just as good as an Lexus? uh... no.