Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Pontiac Aztek

Comments

• dindakdindak Posts: 6,632
    Nice to see this forum is as nasty as ever. I guess the polarizing looks bring out the worst in some people.

BTW. I live in the Toronto area and I have seen 3 in the past 2 weeks.
  • gonzo7gonzo7 Posts: 259
    I agree with Ruski.
    Demolishing 100 Azteks would be a good thing to do.
  • jmaterojmatero Posts: 253
    I think it's fair to say that garthodinson has no children. It's funny how the typical single young male cares more about his "killer stereo" and not safety because "we all start out dying". Well, he's right, you can't live each day obsessed over whether you're time might be up. BUT, when you have kids and a family your perspective WILL change, believe me. You will not care as much about that radio or the funky styling, you'll see. I'm not as bothered by the Aztek's styling as much as it's structurally weak platform.
  • SporinSporin Posts: 1,066
    Same two black ones still stiting on the lot at my nearest dealer (Newport NH). They have been there for over 3 weeks now.
  • Garthodinson,

Answer this, if you had the choice of two vehicles, both functionally itdentical yet one was shown to have very poor crash ratings, while the other had very high ones, which would you choose?

"Sure, you do what you can to minimize the risk,"

Excatly. Buying a vehicle that has decent crash ratings is minimizing risk.

"you can't sacrifice all of your time worrying about what if's."

Nobody is saying stay indoors the rest of your life to avoid accidents. Safety should be a factor, not the sole factor mind you, in choosing what you buy and what you do.
  • killer sterio
    "killer" looks
    killer crash rating
  • Judging by the spelling error in your post#232 "winning about the election", (instead of whining) I can see that education is not a big priority for you so no wonder that you childishly shout "GO BUSH"

On a lighter note, I guess disgust for the Aztek could even bring Demos and Repubs together on a least one issue. :-)
    Perhaps the only accessory Pontiac forgot is the "Exterior mounted barf-bag dispenser"
    This would allow passers-by to admire the Aztek while serving to protect the environment.
  • Barf-bag dispenser, scares small children, hee hee funny! So it has a big behind, so what- I'm sure most of your wives do too! I know that isn't really an intelligent response but after reading all of the negatives on this message board that is the feeling I get. So what if sales are slow, that only means they will re-think the outside design a bit. It rides great, plenty power for hills and highway. Piece of mind with front/side airbags;frontal crash tests? well any frontal crash depending on size, weight,speed etc. is a pretty crummy way to get hit. Even the best of vehicles might not save you. Plenty of cargo room and it is solid. Tires are a little too small though. Nice size side view mirrors-good to see blind spots, no problem seeing when backing up. Comfy seats. When we first saw it we thought eeeewww that is ugly!!! but then we sat in it- it was charming :-) still ugly-- then we drove one---
    very nice-- we leased one. It really grows on you!
    For every negative response on this board, I can only ask--test drive one-open your mind and try it out. Then you should form your opinion :-)
  • I'd still be scared to death from the
    resale. And I'm not talking a crystal ball
    here to predict that.
  • That is the beauty of GM Smart Lease.
    "Smart Lease" is an oxymoron.
  • xmf314xmf314 Posts: 154
    I wouldn't be surprised if terrorists purchased some Aztek's. They would make great car bombs.
  • I test drove a GT and have to admit that it was a great riding vehicle. Lots of room and enough power for my needs.
    What I liked about it most was it is a practical vehicle. I could care less that it looks odd. I drive an 86 Fiero GT anyway and it's never given me one bit of trouble.
    If the Aztek can come half as close to the sales numbers as the Fiero, Pontiac will kill it off for certain. They have habit of doing that with anything that works. Sure there are going to be some bugs, it's a first model year.
    I do plan on going back tomorrow and having a go at buying one. Not the GT however.
    Why all the bad vibes about it's looks? We know what it looks like so let's talk about how it performs.
  • Then just how are you reading the future? Could you enlighten us on exactly what scientific methods you are using to forecast resale on a vehicle that just came out. Speaking of which - PT Crusier and resale - the dealer here has a row of them under MSRP...they seem to have quit selling. What was it you said about PT resale when THEY first came out.
    It doesn't take a crystal ball to foresee where the Aztek's resale value is headed. They have been giving them away since day one. Notice that you don't see commercials much any more?
    Even if they do a panicked restyle it will doom the current "aesthetically challenged" ones to orphan status.
  • 95wrangler,
    No, it wasn't me who said something about the PT cruiser.

I think what gonzo says about the Aztec selling with big discounts so early in it's first year out say a lot about it's resale value.

GM cars inherintly are over produced to where many of their adds at the end of the year promote $5-$6k off MSRP. I know MSRP is a joke to begin with but usually the manufacturer gets it on the new stuff.
  • 95wrangler,
    No, it wasn't me who said something about the PT cruiser.

I think what gonzo says about the Aztec selling with big discounts so early in it's first year out say a lot about it's resale value.

GM cars inherintly are over produced to where many of their adds at the end of the year promote $5-$6k off MSRP. I know MSRP is a joke to begin with but usually the manufacturer gets it on the new stuff.
  • jmaterojmatero Posts: 253
    I have yet to see a dealer in the north east region that has multiple new PT's on the lot.... and if he did, I defy you to walk out of there with one much below MSRP (and if you do, you'll have other things tacked on). According to autonews, PT production is still at full bore. In fact, DC isn't taking further orders. If you found a dealer with more than one or two on the lot, chances are SOMETHING there is "not right". One dealer here in CT had 3 on the lot and a co-worker of mine was psyched about getting one under retail (according to the signs on the windows). Well, he "did" get it under retail, but in the end, he was forced to buy an aggressive appearance pkg. and extended warrenty. FORCED. As for Aztek re-sale value, you can go to money magazine or kiplingers to see actual resale figures. From what I read a few weeks ago, the Aztek is lower than other domestic minivans and more on par with domestic economy cars like the cavilier.... I'll find the link tomorrow morning but I believe it was approx 53% value after 2 years. That is at the VERY LOW END of the spectrum. Also, the production cuts at the Aztek factory can't help matters. I learned my lesson: If you only keep a car a couple of years, don't go domestic. If you like the aztek and safety and resale aren't a concern (meaning you're willing to drive it a minimum of 5-7 years) by all means, go for it. I'm not trying to insult anyone who already has an aztek, I hope you're happy with it. But the resale according to all sources is poor. This should not be a surprise really, imaging having 4 cars: A Honda Accord, A Dodge Caravan, a Chevy Blazer and a Pontiac Aztek. Now imagine having to sell them on your own... putting them on the front lawn with a for-sale sign. I'm sure the last to go would be the Aztek for the simple fact that it has the smallest "audience" out there. I mean, sedan buyers won't bite. SUV folks aren't interested, and a mother looking for a minivan won't take a second look. ALSO... resale plays another little talked about important role... Most people today put little down when buying a car. That is a BIG NO-NO when it comes to a model with below average resale because in the event it is in an accident and totalled or even stollen, you will be upside down... meaning, you won't get a check... the insurance agency will send GM the check and GM will come knocking on your door for the remainder. My suggestion is to Put AT LEAST 25% down on this vehicle.
  • p0926p0926 Posts: 4,423
    LOL trying to imagine who exactly would be dumb enough to steal an Aztek!
  • I agree with most of what you say, but what's the difference between putting 25% down now vs. having GM come knocking at your door later on - either way your depreciation is the same.
  • I'm still at a loss to understand how anyone can predict resale on a vehicle so new that virtually not ONE has been "resold" yet! Then, not knowing the future sales (new AWD) predict an event TWO years from now ??? Oh, on one count I saw TWELVE PT Cruisers languishing on the dealer lot here in MD. The artificial "demand" made by having only one shift working seems to have been filled now that they are under full (though soon pulled back) production. Hey, they can't complain...they did have a good run there for a short while!
  • tincup47tincup47 Posts: 1,508
    PT Cruiser- 12,892 up from 11,180 in Sept.
    69,681 YTD

Aztek- 2,926 up from 2,009 in Sept.
    6,681 YTD
    no need for a recount there :)
    PT Cruiser sales are still strong
  • maybe people will look back at the Aztec as one of those mistakes that the mints make on currency or upside down postage stamps where people will pay more than face value.

But I think Pontiac will have to come out first and admit the whole design was a mistake and they really meant to build something people wanted.
  • are you sure those numbers reflect what the people of this fine country want?

Will the Aztec protect social security and deliver our children to a better education. Will it provide jobs for Americans and bring the people together.

Does anyone request a recount?
  • I know, this is a vehicle that reminds me of the "Vacation" mobile driven by Chevy Chase, but the Pontiac did get the size right, and the newer features on inside that would attract buyers. And they are right-on knowing that 99% of drivers never use 4x4.

Personally, if it goes easier on my eyes with time like some other homely vehicles like the new Chevy Truck, Focus wagon, Maxima, Acura TL (the one with the crease down the middle) -- then this homely little thing could be a great used car buy, with its value dropping like a brick. What a better used vehicle (in economic terms) than one who loses tons of value in first two years? I can get one for about $5k pretty soon...or less.

If they restyle it totally, it may make it. But I wonder what focus group gave the nod to that design. A more aero look would have gone a long way.

Slope
    I think a minor re-work is in the cards for 2002. Aside from the over-styling, it's a pretty decent truck/SUV. The Buick and Chevy versions coming look much better though.
  • p0926p0926 Posts: 4,423
    dindak- Don't you mean pretty decent mini-van?

ajvdh- You beat me to it. Heard the same on the news last night. Me thinks there was a little wishful thinking by somebody. As the old saying goes: misery loves company. ;-)

-Frank P.
    Ya, whatever. It's hard to put a name on these vehicles. There are so many crossovers these days, I'm just not sure anymore.

;-)
  • They're all in peoples back yards! Looked at the last 50 PT Cruiser auctions that have ended on Ebay. Only 11 sold!!!!