Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Honda CR-V Navigation System

Comments

• Yes I have the same problem. I copied the original DVD that got rid of the out of region error. Now when I have the copied USA disk in I can change the time etc. I think if we just have the correct .bas files and .ar0 files and did a find a replace it might work.
    Why it shows me driving around California while in the czech republic make no sense.
  • jayk_pdxjayk_pdx Posts: 2
    Just got a 2010 CR-V LX and I'm researching my nav upgrade options now. In terms of in-dash stuff (which I'd prefer) it looks like there are various choices from $400-$1.5K and up. I don't care about iPod control or video, but I want something that has a high-res screen and satellite radio interface. Right now I'm leaning towards the Pioneer AVIC-X910BT, but I've read it takes 30 seconds to start up, which sounds annoying.

It would be great to hear from anyone who's done this type of upgrade in a CR-V. What did you install? Are you happy with the unit?
  • crvdude1crvdude1 Posts: 47
    http://www.hondasuv.com/members/showthread.php?t=38005

I have also read somebody put a Civic GPS to a CRV with a couple minor modifications.

http://www.crvownersclub.com is another good resource for your research.
  • blueiedgodblueiedgod Posts: 2,797
    edited April 2010
    I have the older AVIC 700BT and it is a nice system, if you know your way around Windows OS. It is fully customizeable, but also comes with typical Windows OS issues.

Weigh your prefenreces, and then decide.

The 30 second start up is an understatement. It is not fully functional, i.e. the radio will play, but you will not be able to use steering wheel controls, or change the stations for a full minute. It takes almost 2 minutes to connect to the phone. While it is connecting the response to inputs is delayed.

Would I recommend it? Sure, I like the options that Windows OS allows compared to hardware based systems, most of which require you to have a map DVD in the drive.

I have made mine look like it was a stock Honda system.

Check out www.avic411.com for more info.
  • I am very disappointed to have paid a large price for a navigation system on my 2010 Honda and find that the navigation system is out-of-date. The DVD says 2008, but I think it is at least 3 to 5 years old. My Nuvi Garmin was much better. I think Honda has an obligation to tell you that the navigation system is out-of-date. They referred me to Alpine who wanted to sell me a new (September 2009) updated map for $149 plus shipping and handling for my NEW VEHICLE. I have been pleased with Hondas in the past but will not buy another if this is not rectified. I feel that this is a deceptive practice. Judging from the posts on the Internet, Honda would have to know this is a problem. All the bells and whistles that came with the package are nice, but I actually bought the package for the navigation system which doesn't recognize state highways that were 4-laned years ago, addresses that are 3 - 5 years old, shopping malls that are at least 3 years old, etc. The voice recognition is another issue, but it does make me laugh.
  • crvdude1crvdude1 Posts: 47
    Honda is trying to cut cost in different areas. If they can buy 500,000 units of GPS for the next 5 years for a discount, they will do it. Most people buy the EX and spend another 1K to get a Kenwood or Pioneer in dash GPS headunit. However, you will lose some bells and whistles but at least you can pick the one you like and with latest maps.

I won't be surprise if any 2011 or even 2012 CRVs will still have maps from 2008.
  • coffeetimecoffeetime Posts: 4
    edited July 2010
    I have a Honda CR-V EX-L 2008. I bought a Transcend CompactFlash adapter ($6.90) and a Transcend 8GB CompactFlash card ($24.99). Both are purchased from Amazon. Both are working on CRV 2008 Navi System.

The Navi unit has no problem recognizing 8GB card. But it could only see 999 songs out of 1153 songs I encoded. I encoded MP3 in 192 bit rate. For 1153 songs, it totals to 7.68GB. For 999 songs, it comes down to 6.66GB. So you have room to bump up the "bit rate" at a higher rate for better quality sound.

I dropped all the songs loosely in the card without creating any folder. It takes a while for Navi to scan. You could tell the scanning is finished if you are able to scroll through the entire songs quickly all the way to the last one.

I encoded the songs using "Tune4Mac" on an Intel Mac. Windows user can use "Noteburner". I left it over night for it to encode. The software will convert all m4a, m4p (DRM), and aac to mp3. I used iTunes (required) and Tune4Mac together to encode. Just collect all 999 songs into a playlist and burn them onto virtual audio CDs. The virutal audio CDs are generated from Tune4Mac. Since iTunes can burn multiple CDs continuously, Tune4Mac can keep feeding virtual audio CDs on the fly. At the same time, Tune4Mac encode audio from virtual CDs to MP3. These all happening transparently because you won't see any virtual CDs mounting on your desktop. Once encoding is finished, virtual CDs will be flush out of cache and only MP3 files are saved.
  • I realize that I'm 6 months late here! but if you are still looking for the best total system for your 2010 cr-v, my months of research came up with the Kenwood dnx6960. I also have a 2010 cr-v and have this system (so does my friend).........Love it!! Excellent Kenwood stereo, the best resolution Garmin Nuvi nav, Parrot bluetooth and sattelite radio ready ( I got XM). I, as well, don't care about movies...but this can play them on a 5inch x 6inch screen. I'm very happy with all of the excellent components Kenwood puts in their systems. Just thought I'd chime in with what I know!! I'm surprised that any high end car audio place in your area (perhaps, you are in Portland (pdx)!) didn't steer you to the Kenwood. They are the best and for $1600 I got 4 times more quality than I would have gotten for $2000 with the dealer. If you have any questions you can email me at sisqsterrio@hotmail.com. Good luck (if you haven't already "jumped in" to the market. T
  • jcihakjcihak Posts: 60
    The Nav in the CR-V is the same design they had back in 2003. I had a 2006 Civic with Nav and hated it. The POIs were totally useless because they were many years out of date or in the wrong place. What a waste of $1700 that was!
    My solution was first to get a Garmin Nuvi for $150. But now I just use my Motorola Droid. Get a generic vent mount holder for the gps / phone and you can easily mount it to the right of the steering wheel - within easy reach, easy to see and doesn't block the windshield.
  • bmfcbmfc Posts: 9
    I took delivery on my 2010 CR-V w/nav in September 2010. Nationals Park opened in 2008 and it wasn't in the system. Citi Field opened in 2009 and it wasn't in the system. My dealer comp'd me on a replacement DVD.

Also, the POIs that you create do not appear on the map. On my Garmin, once you identified your home, it said "home" on the map whether or not you requested directions to your home. I recently was in a Mazda and a Lexus which had navs and both had better maps.

And how come the models with navs don't have the system to allow you to open your garage?
  • blueiedgodblueiedgod Posts: 2,797
    Get the RDX

Or just get the homelink equipped unit from RDX.

I have an 05, and installed sunglass holder from Acura TL with the homelink. It was a simple "plug and play."

I have a Windows based Pioneer F700BT headunit. It is better than any factory unit in terms of cutomization (if you like playing in Windows).

Just loaded red light camera and speed trap files into it, and it sounds a warning when approaching those.

It reads out text messages from your phone over the speakers, as well.
  • ok it's stupid, but I'm just happy my 11 CRV nav system shows my home address. :D My 07 didn't. Love new construction. It's those little things I guess ;) I guess they have upgraded the nav cd between then and now.
  • We're looking at purchasing a new 2011 CRV. Originally, we thought we wanted to the stock nav system. But after realizing it doesn't have RDS (Radio Display System?), which seems to be standard on almost all other vehicle radios, we're wondering if we should get the EX-L (or lower model) without Nav and have an after-market unit installed? Would appreciate any input.
  • my sales person informed me your better off getting a lower model and get an aftermarket navi
  • I am in the final stages of deciding if I should buy the Honda CRV EX-L with Navigation or Hyundia Tucson with navigation package or after factory navigation/backup camera. The hands free calling and backup camera is what I am most interested in with the navigation package. Radio tune identifies is a nice feature. Hyundia seems to have these options and is intuitive with the factory option. I've been reading mixed on Honda. Any suggestions for aftermarket product names or Hyundia verses Honda?
  • You probably already know this but you can get a map update, for $185, that seems to be more current. Also, you should know that there are no cell phones that will display Caller ID or other Bluethooth features. They don't tell you that and make you think it is just your phone. NO phone is compatibile becasue the system isn't fully Bluetooth compatible.
  • They told us it was fully Bluetooth enabled but is is not. No Caller ID, lots of other features we have in our Garmin, aren't in this 2007 system. The map data appears to be dated also. It is not worth the $2000 they want for this deficient system. They charge the same for the system in the Pilot but it IS fully functional. Our belief is they bought a ton of these systems, appear to be made in China, in 2006 and then couldn't sell them so they're still pulling from that inventory. Don't know that as a fact but that's the way it looks.
  • I've just returned from taking my crv to the honda dealer. I bought my crv new 2010 with the factory installed system. What a joke! I would never recommend this car and navigation system. If I want to find the nearest McDonald's for instance, I type in McDonald's and enter. What you get is the address for McDonald's headquarters in the USA. What good does that do me? Why would I even care? When I try other ways to find it, I come up with nothing useful unless I actually have the address but even then it doesn't know enough to default to my current location. My Iphone works better and faster. What a ripoff. Honda is aware of this problem but they are ignoring the complaints so the next sucker will buy a honda and pay a lot for something that doesn't work. I bought this car for the navigation and bluetooth. Don't get me started on the bluetooth. You're lucky if you can actually hear or be heard. This is my 5th honda (I currently have a 2004 Pilot) and my last. To make it worse, I just received an email telling me the updated disc is now out for $149. It won't fix the problem so don't buy it. Better yet don't buy a honda with navigation and bluetooth. Shame on you Honda!!
  • 2008 CRV. A year ago I had the 'Disk Error' issue while under warrantee. They replaced the unit. So now a year and a month later (now out of warrantee) our screen has gone white with horizontal lines (including with reverse camera). You can tell that the buttons still work for the maps and radio but nothing on the screen. Ideas? I already checked the disk.
  • I had a similar issue with my 2008 CRV after two years I got it. The screen just went wild like a bad reception and then blank. It was still under warranty so they replaced the whole unit for free. They can't just replace the screen only, it's has to be the whole unit unfortunately. There is also a recall for CR-V 2006–2009 – ALL models with navigation and some 2010 models. These DVD drives cause scratch marks on Navi DVD. Check their website for details. The info is from Honda Service Bulletin 08-051.
  • Thank you. I am trying to get some consideration from the dealer but not sure it will happen. I am very worried that these Nav systems are real lemons and that we will be stuck buying a new one every 2 to 3 years at over $800 a pop. Not good. The disk isn't scratched this time so I think it is a completely different problem.
  • Dealer is going to replace the whole unit. My cost is $150. Not happy that I have to pay anything at all since things like this just shouldn't break. However, it could have been much worse if I was forced to pay the full amount.
  • I have a 2010 Honda Odyssey EX - L with Nav. It works okay but the system says I don't have the number in the phone book but yet it has the list of numbers under my cell phone number on imported phone numbers so I don't get it. Sometimes it takes several tries to connect but the incoming part works great. Also the map and directions are very nice, easy to read and gives both verbal and bullet directions. Is the one for the CR-V different???
  • When we bought the car, in December of 2010, we were told it was fully Bluetooth compatible. We have several other devices that are fully compatible, among them an old Garmin 640 Nuvi. From the road changes we knew about in our area and elsewhere it soon became apparent that this factory installed system was at least 3 years old. I assumed there was an upgrade that would solve this deficiency. There was not.

We were able to pair our phones to the system and input our phone book as well as install a couple dozen command names on the systems "List." However, whether or not the name/number was in the phone book or on that "List," the only notification that came on the screen when a call came in was/is notification of a call but, even if the caller has caller ID, no name/number showed on the screen.

We checked the manual(s) and quizzed salesmen on this as well as service people at the dealership and then called Honda Tech Support for the NAV system. Everyone said that we had to have a compatible phone. So, after much ado of going through the manual on line and the hard copy we were given, we found that our phones were not compatible, despite the fact that both our phones, a Blackberry and a Palm Pre, were brand new.

After much investigation, we found that no cell phone sold in the U.S. is "compatible" with this system and the Caller ID feature simply will not work.

I wound up writing to everyone on the planet who had anything to do with Honda, including officials at Honda, Japan, including the President and, finally, after months, we were issued a $500 letter of credit with which we purchased an update ($200+ installed) and a tricked-out rear view mirror, excluded from our "loaded" CR-V. The NAV system is still sorely lacking on the GPS locations and still doesn't have the important Caller ID function that every other vehicle we've been in prior to and after the purchase, including the 2011 Honda Pilot, has as standard.
    We do like the car but are very disappointed in Honda for having installed a piece of equipment that was extremely dated (we assume the downturn from 2008 left them holding zillions of the systems on the shelf) and deficient. All other NAV systems have the Caller ID feature.

Why is it so important? Don't you want to know, before answering a call, if it is a call you WANT to answer while driving? We sure do. Honda, shame on you!!
  • I just purchased the 2012 CRV- EXL without Nav. After reading the reviews and seeing that Nav was almost $2000 more, plus expensive updates, I will stick with Garmin for $200. I love the car- it has the Back up camera, nice plus, also the blue tooth seems to work really well, it shows all my contacts and who I am calling. I have a plain phone (not a smart phone).
  • Well, I have a Garmin Nuvi that, years ago, cost more than $500, I forget, but I've had it for about 5 years. We take that with us when we're travelling and generally input our destination into the Garmin also, as a backup. Often, the Honda Nav goofs up and we then rely on the Garmin. Sad, since we paid $1500 extra for the NAV system. The Garmin is also fully bluetooth compatible but, of course, won't allow answering from the steering wheel once its paired.

When I was doing my complaining to Honda, I ran across many unhappy CR-V NAV owners here and elsewhere. I see a "completely re-engineered" CR-V for 2012. I hope they got rid of all their old 2007-8 NAV systems and now have an updated system in their new CR-V's. I also hope Honda monitors this site and is aware of others, besides me, who think a lot less of Honda as a result of them using outdated, deficient equipment in the deluxe CR-V's. This was our first Honda (I've owned dozens of cars) and I'll hesitate to buy another even though we like the car, overall. We purchased it based on the dealer's representations and what Honda represented in the manual(s) based on Honda's reputation. We see now that was a mistake.
  • HONDA 2012 NAV
    My wife purchased a 2012 Civic with NAV. I've given up trying to use it. Take my Garmin instead. Today I purchased a 2012 Honda CR-V EX-L without the NAV. During this process I had a salesman at ACURA tell me it was good. Asked him to find me the closest LCBO (LIQUIOR STORE IN ONTARIO) after a few minutes he gave up. Garmin takes all but 30 seconds. I also had a friend try this out on his new Lexus RX350. Closest one 100 miles away, when it is just 1 mile away. Have a friend with a Lincoln, also has trouble finding things easily. Thus if you want a good NAV stay with Garmin. We've had Honda's for years and enjoy the reliability of them. But they certainly missed the boat with their HAV. system. At least on the Civic and CR-V.
  • steverstever Ex Yooper, en route to New MexicoPosts: 40,504
    edited January 2012
    Maybe it's a don't drink and drive thing. :D

Try a Timmies next. Well, no, they're on every corner anyway. Maybe a Canadian Tire?

I'm a bit irritated with my Garmin this week. The little pin in the adapter end is sticking and not making good contact with the power port, so it kept cutting off on me.

Need help navigating? stever@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

• ronin9ronin9 Posts: 1
    edited February 2012
    Any info as to a link to download a copy of the Nav manual ( Navteq), also cannot program street address and avenue numbers ,not intuative at all, the system seems an absolute joke verses garmin.