Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

TOYOTA TACOMA vs FORD RANGER- Part XI

Comments

• modvptnlmodvptnl Member Posts: 1,352
    Good job, dudette!!! You may acknowledge my F1 answer. Bet you didn't like Mikey when he was powered by Ford/Cosworth....Dang American junk(well Cosworth is English so maybe not)

Your 4H comment is waaaay off though. Considering 4H can be engaged on the fly(at least in Fords)it is an invaluable tool for hauling [non-permissible content removed] in soft sand in the desert or for not losing momentum in a mud hole. Hang with us, chick, you'll learn!!!
    How come toy owners forget what they post??? Wasn't NASCAR boring AND the almighty URpeeins laughed at it????? I don't know about you but I strive for approval from people in other countries.
  • spoogspoog Member Posts: 1,224
    \\Nascar is more of a sport than she'll ever understand\\

Nascar is not a sport, and it's a waste of fuel.

We have jerks trying to drill the arctic wildlife refuge while these nascar geeks totally waste fuel. What a sad state of affairs.
  • barlitzbarlitz Member Posts: 752
    you are one crazy dude.
  • acf2001acf2001 Member Posts: 28
    Next season Toyota plans on entering the F1 series and I couldn't be prouder :)

Mod don't be isolationist and xenophobic - it isn't healthy. You want WORLD CLASS (and world reknown drivers) look to no other than Formula One.
    And if anyone noticed according to stang earlier... sounds like he says....... what?? What do I hear? That it takes strength to go 180 mph+, perform a clutch depression; balancing of air drafts, throttle etc....takes "something"... sounds pretty athletic to me. Plus add some steering and whoa boy!

Spoog: Score one for wildlife! About time someone on here had a conscience.

eagle63: Somewhere in this discussion, or another one dealing with Toys about six months or more ago, someone did discuss upcoming Models when I was shopping for my truck in Dec.- I vaguely remember someone saying that a change wasn't due for the Tacoma until 2003.
    Welcome back!!! I like how you hide after being asked a simple question you can't answer then come sneaking back with a new topic.

If you do own the truck you claim(very doubtful) why do you have the V6 with supercharger you like to brag about?? Wouldn't a 4 cylinder be more friendly to the environment?? More fuel efficient?? Don't you realize using your monitor is depleting the ozone??? Why do you have a 4WD?? isn't going off-road liable to harm the yellow bellied sticklebackedspoog???

I feel more links on the way!!
  • acf2001acf2001 Member Posts: 28
    Next season Toyota plans on entering the F1 series and I couldn't be prouder :)

Mod don't be isolationist and xenophobic - it isn't healthy. You want WORLD CLASS (and world reknown drivers) look to no other than Formula One.
    And if anyone noticed according to stang earlier... sounds like he says....... what?? What do I hear? That it takes strength to go 180 mph+, perform a clutch depression; balancing of air drafts, throttle etc....takes "something"... sounds pretty athletic to me. Plus add some steering and whoa boy!

Spoog: Score one for wildlife! About time someone on here had a conscience.

eagle63: Somewhere in this discussion, or another one dealing with Toys about six months or more ago, someone did discuss upcoming Models when I was shopping for my truck in Dec.- I vaguely remember someone saying that a change wasn't due for the Tacoma until 2003.
  • PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Member Posts: 9,372
    Let's stay away from the personal commentary and try to keep things relatively civil, OK?

Thanks...

PF Flyer

Host

Pickups & News & Views Message Boards

• eagle63eagle63 Member Posts: 599
    "Nascar is not a sport, and it's a waste of fuel"

-for once I actually agree with spoog!
  • cpousnrcpousnr Member Posts: 1,611
    while 4 wheeling. Not too bad. About 22 on the road.

acf2001:
    Fuel spent to get to areas to spike trees...ozone damage from buning public places like Two Elks lodge...yep real friendly to the envornment...Rumor has it that the tire tracks in the Two Elks area were Firestone Wilderness...indication of a Ranger used for the job. . .
  • allknowingallknowing Member Posts: 866
    More proof that people with a few loose screws prefer Rangers:)
  • midnight_stangmidnight_stang Member Posts: 862
    acf2001->I was asking if you had to engage 4lo or hi to get out of your ditch, since you stated that your Toyota 4x4 got you out of it. And what the heck are you saying in post 2056? You paraphrase my post into unintelligible nonsense. I said even the clutches alone are very hard to push, in regards to Nascar not being a difficult sport. Furthermore, the last part of the quote was talking about the balance of 100% traction to acceleration, turning, braking, while managing the changing car drafts, all at over 120 mph. Very similar to F1 but in different spec cars, and being able to turn both directions. Nascar is about speed, mechanical and driving abilities.

mod--->If toyota raced in Nascar, I bet he would be a fan.

Spoog--->Shipping car parts from the orient are a waste of fuel too.

allknowing--->Whatchu talkin' 'bout willis?
    This IS NOT trying to change your opinion!!!!

But a lot of people think 4 wheelin' or driving anything more than a 50MPG Geo Metro is a waste. To them you may be the evil of society. (of course right after the NASCAR folk) LOL!!!
    I know, my only real problem with nascar is that I think it's boring. but to each their own.
    I'd like to get this question cleared up if I can: what's the deal with the TRD's rear locker? can it only be engaged while in 4-lo?? a toyota dealer told me yesterday that you can engage it in 4-hi or 4-lo. we all know what Vince thinks about it, but I'd like to know for sure whether it's a 4-lo thing exclusively or not. thanks.
    That's cool, the only reason I commented was because of the "waste of fuel" comment.

I thought even the toy owners commented the speed sensor/low range limitation could be over ridden by jumpering the plug?????
    Ask "smgilles" if he's still around... He said he disabled the rear locker lockout feature for any gear. I believe it's just one wire to clip or wire harness to unplug..?
    Take a look at the awesome ride height of this monster:
    http://www.ultimate4x4.com/Tacoma/spoog.html
  • spoogspoog Member Posts: 1,224
    Wow we agree on something. Amazing.

you know it's funny that we have a so called "Energy crisis" ,yetall kinds of motor races occur daily consuming giant amounts of fuel that could be preserved for people commuting, working farms or hauling goods.
    Or maybe Ford is behind this evil conspiracy to race fast and burn gasoline and pollute with open exhaust?

"Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain!"
    I've never had occasion to need my locker so I'm not sure what the manual says. I remember it saying that you're supposed to use it below 5 or 10 MPH. I'll try to remember to look in my manual tomorrow and see what it really says. I'd go out and look now but I'm too lazy.
  • lariat1lariat1 Member Posts: 461
    Auto racing is not useless and wastefulas some people might think. Every car and truck on the road has something derived from racing on it. Manufactures use racing to test their products and as a result more fuel efficient and cleaner burning engines are designed and put into production. I dont know about everyone else but the thought of having a 700-800Hp 5.8L V-8 that gets a little over 10mpg at wide open throttle sounds pretty good to me, imagine what that engine could get for gas milage for a normal driver in a regular car.
    Also For all you TRD owners out there how do you think Toyota "tuned" the suspension? They tested it offroad in races like the Baja 1000.
    Toyota would never do something as irresponsible as desert race. Not only does it waste fuel but it may damage some endangered insect. Besides, the Urpeeins think offroad racing is, "Quite uncivilized, don't you think chap?"

I sure hope you delete your post before a certain toy zealot has an MI. LOL!!!
    you complain about fuel use wasted. . .

but you drive a small truck that has a super charger that uses more gas than the conventional EFI asperated Rangers.

you complain about resources being wasted, that we need to get alternatives but. . .

Ford comes out with flex fuel vehicles and you trash the company anyway.

Let me ask you this, when you get your way and 4X4 trucks weigh 2,000 lb, have 1.2L engines max with 75hp to get 27mpg, you gonna buy one?

- it won't haul anything, not enough hp
    - it would be unsafe to take off road, too light.
    - it would seat 2 uncomfortable.
    - would not run at high altitude, not enough hp
    - they tried that once in cars, called a Yugo. You got one in the garage? Why wouldn't any self respecting non- hypocritical envoronmentalest own one?
    Oh should have read that last sentence again.
    I was messing with the locker and it appears to engage in any gear but Toyota recommends that you completely stop and shift to 4L. It will, however, shut off automatically if you engage it in 4L and then shift out of 4L. It will also shut off if you turn the steering wheel sharply.
  • 2k1trd2k1trd Member Posts: 301
    The locker will only engage in 4-low and will not engage untill 5 mph or lower,now once it's engaged it will stay on untill you push the button to turn it off.Speed has no effect nor does turning the wheel while the locker is engaged to prevent it from working.When you try it in 4-hi the light flashes telling you it's not engaged.Please do not listen to any other "locker myths"on this board ok? :)
    Either your year of the TRD is quite different than mine or you're incorrect. I have a 2000 and mine will shut off when you shift out of 4L and/or you turn the wheel sharply. The manual says that it does that and, what do you know, it does that on my truck just like the manual says. Your year of truck may work differently than mine but I don't appreciate you calling my post a "locker myth"..
    There's tension in toyland. LOL!!!

AK, thanks for the research. As much of a benefit as the TRD locker CAN BE, wouldn't it be nicer to have an aftermarket unit(like the ARB) that can be controlled 100% by the operator???

Back to an old argument. Since Lake Mead is lower than it has been as long as I can remember, EVERY boat/personal watercraft being launched/recovered has their tow vehicle's exhaust totally submerged.
    Ha Ha!! Ok I'll concede. I we got carried away on my side of the argument back then. I just think it's generally a bad practice to submerge your exhaust and I suppose I was a bit overzealous because my sister smoked her engine in Mexico. She succumbed to a siphoning effect though and I'll admit that a truck on a boat ramp isn't usually in a position to experience a siphoning effect. You win, rub it in some more.....
    As far as the locker, I've never been in a position to need it but I'm glad it's there if I do happen to need it. I guess the aftermarket unit would be a lot better but the older I get the less I want to hassle with mods.
    I must have some really dumb toyota dealers in my area. I called 3 different dealerships asking this same question about the locker and got 3 different answers. one guy said it could only be engaged in 4-lo. the next said either 4lo or 4hi, the last guy said anytime - even 2wd. Of course, the last guy also thought the Xtracab was the "one with 4 doors." I really hope this isn't representative of all toyota dealers...
    It's cool!!

Eagle, did you really expect a dealer to know??? LOL!!! I was checking out a Camaro SS not to long ago. (Nice car but even with the extra performance I like the Cobra better) So the salesman looks at my Cobra and says, "What are you looking to get out of it?" I said, "At least low book." (17,XXX at that time) he comes back with they just sold one EXACTLY like mine for 13K AND IT HAD AN AUTOMATIC TRANS. I laughed and as I was walking out I told the genius Cobras NEVER HAD AUTOmatics.
    I can only tell you what my 2000 appears to do as, judging from 2k1trd's post, all years may not function the same. I was messing with it on the street and really need to get on some dirt to completely see what's going on. It appears to go on when the button is pressed even in 2WD. In addition, unless my truck doesn't function properly even though it does what the manual says (As 2KTRD suggests), it really does seem to go off when you shift out of 4L or turn the wheel sugnificantly while the truck is moving. Next time I get off the road I'll give it a more conclusive test. I'm not a hard core off roader that has had the need for the locker so I'm not the best one to respond. Where are all of the Tacoma diehard off road experts with more details? Maybe you Ranger guys are right in that not many of these guys really own a Tacoma and/or ever go big time off roading.
    thanks for checking that out. I posted the same question to "cliffy," a toyota salesman in the SUV forum who seems to be pretty knowledgeable. Hopefully he'll end the debate. It would be cool if one could engage the locker at any time regardless of gear or 2wd/4wd. -but I suppose this would require some knowledge and judgement on the driver's part to not engage it while doing 70mph down the freeway. (which would probably open up lawsuits, etc.)
    OK you got my curiosity peaked so I tried it again in a skinny paved parking lot where I shouldn't have. It works kind of strangely in that it blinks for a few seconds while it's engaging and then there seems to be an inconsistent delay when it disengages. Anyway, it did engage in 2Wd from a stop but it had a fairly long delay disengaging from 2WD for whatever reason. As coincidence would have it, I got a long string of cars behind me while I was waiting for it to release so I had trouble getting out of their way (it doesn't turn well with the wheels locked). I'll leave further experimentation to someone else. Hopefully you'll get a correct answer from "cliffy".
    The locker only works in 4-low (unless someone modified it)and yes will disengage when you shift out of 4-low (i didn't think i had to say that in my last post).If the light is flashing,then it's not working,trust me.
  • ebbgreatdaneebbgreatdane Member Posts: 278
    In addition, just because you must engage it 5mph or below doesn't mean you have to stay there. In 4lo you are perfectly capable of going as fast as the tranny can stand (approx 35 - 40 Mph) so long as you're doing this on a dirt or other loos material surface.

You would'nt want to say take right hand turn on the street at speed with the locker engaged. The backend has a funny way of finding it's way to the front end.

On a side note...
    F1 racing = Methanol (water soluble)
    NASCAR = 110 Octane Leaded Fuel

F1 racing exhaust does nothing more than smell like ol' grandpa's still and certainly little harm to the environment. Most modern car technology is derived from those cars used at Le Mans. A few examples of Le Mans creations, most made by Fiat/Ferrari, Subaru, Peugeot and Porsche:

Sway bars
    Disc Brakes
    OHC engines
    DOHC engines
    Timing Belts
    Aluminum Blocks
    Double Wishbone
    Audi's Quattro AWD

Plus a ton more...Maybe we shouldn't do away with the French just yet.
    But have any of you folks in CA noticed that the 92 gas option has dropped from the pumps and is now 91?

Off subject for sure but I can find no news on this.

John
    In Colorado, octane is 85/87/89 usually.

There is movement about that we are getting ripped off paying the price of 87 octane regular but getting 85. Start the rumor in Cali. . .

So spoog, Cortez, Colo on the 24th, right? I will add another Toyota to the bottom of the page. . .

http://members.aol.com/uncchrisb/4corners.htm

I don't know what to say. Believre me, I'm not trying to be sarcastic but first you said that you had to push the button to disengage the locker, quote: "The locker will only engage in 4-low and will not engage until 5 mph or lower, now once it's engaged it will stay on until you push the button to turn it off".

Now you say that you don't have to push the button, quote: "yes will disengage when you shift out of 4-low (i didn't think i had to say that in my last post)".

Maybe you weren't paying attention to what you wrote which is cool.

Is the Tacoma owners manual wrong when it says that the locker will disengage when the wheel is turned while the truck is moving too because you also said "nor does turning the wheel while the locker is engaged to prevent it from working"?

All I can tell you is that mine seems to do what the manual says. By the way, I realize that the locker isn't on when the light is flashing. When you hit the switch it blinks until it's engaged and then stays on. The locker engaged today in 2wd on my truck no question about it because It was obvious when I tried to turn before it shut off. Again, I'm not attempting to be sarcastic and I acknowledge that you very well may know more about this than me. Maybe there's something wrong with my truck. I can just speak from my experience as I haven't tried the locker on another TRD while you very well may have.
    Tell me also, does yours have a delay of 5-10 seconds shutting off after you hit the button on occasion?
    When you meet up with spoog settle this locker thing once and for all. He should know better than anyone if my truck is not working correctly or if the manual is wrong.
    I went out and test drove a 2001 TRD tacoma the other night. overall, I was fairly impressed. The interior seems better and the seats are a bit more comfortable than a tacoma I drove a few years ago. (the placement of the digital clock is terrible, though) But it drove very well and didn't seem to have any bad tendencies while on the street or highway. I really only have 2 pet peeves about it: the lack of 4 (or even 3) doors on the Xtracab, and the somewhat shallow bed. the brochure states that it's only less than an inch shallower than the ranger's bed, but it still seems too shallow. what do you tacoma owners's think? maybe in actual practice it's not a big deal at all.
    The new grill on the 2001 is growing on me. At first I didn't like it, but now I think it looks pretty good. Although a little pricey, the TRD package is a pretty comprehensive off-road package and the vehicle seems well built and well designed.
  • frey44frey44 Member Posts: 230
    forget that Taco and go buy a Tundra: a much better value long term if you really need a truck. the quality of the ride, lack of vibration, and isolation of the cab is simply amazing (better than the Chevy, which is very good). i hope to get into a 2002 Tundra model soon. i am trying to sell a Ranger right now, but am frustrated (alarmed !) at how fast these trucks depreciate. it seems that even local Ford dealers (here in Ohio) don't want to give you anything on a retail trade. i have considered an F150 and a Silverado, but after driving them, have concluded for my type of driving (on the road) the Toyotas are the best. i am going to get killed, hoever, on this depreciation !! oh well, caveat emptor ! good luck.
    Octane in CA is normally 87/89/92.

I found an article stating that Oil refineries can produce more 91 Octane grade for less than the higher Octane rated 92 gasoline. The cost savings is, not...once again is *not*... being passed on to the consumer in that you will pay the same price for the 91 gas that you pay for the 92. The supposed benefit to us schmos is that we won't have to now pay for the rising costs of producting 92 rated fuel.

Gee, I hope gasoline producers of the world continue to do such "nice" things for us.

Sheez,

John
    Ok lets stop messing around here,the locker will stay engaged untill you turn it off with the button OR shift from 4-low.Why yours works in 4-hi or 2wd is confusing me.I owned a 2000 TRD before my 01 and i jumped the plug on the transfer case wich enabled me to use the locker in 4-hi or 2wd.Take a look under the drivers side of your truck in the transfer case area and look for a blue 2 wire plug and see if someone has unplugged it and jumped it together.People like to complain about the locker only working in 4-low but honestly,thats the only time it would be beneficial anyway.
    allknowing:
    Not holding my breath on that one.

Actually a few of the trucks on that trip have lockers. You can add a good locker for about $300 in parts and it is not that hard to do, just gotta get your hands greasy.

stang:
    GOOD ONE
    Thanks for the info. I'll check it out.
  • barlitzbarlitz Member Posts: 752
    The tacoma passed the s-10 with problems posted at this site, the tacoma 107, the s-10 104. JD powers was right the s-10 is the #1 in customer satisafaction
    Not that we need to turn this locker thing into a huge debate, but I did get some interesting info from cliffy, a toyota dealer in the suv forums. He said that he was originally trained that the locker was for 4-lo only, but then how come you can get the locking diff option on the Prerunners??? -obviously it must be able to be engaged in 2wd then, right?
This discussion has been closed.