Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Mercedes-Benz C240 4matic

I am looking at purchasing a 2003 C240 4 matic and I was wondering what people who have one thing of it and if they have had an problems with it since owning it, thanks Zach

Comments

• I've had one since September. I bought it with 26,000 miles. Car has run really well. We had an issue with the memory on the sunroof not allowing it to close properly. Phil Smart took care of the issue with an update to the car's computer. Other than that, the car has been great. btw...go with at least a C240, as the 6 cylinders are what you really want.

The car gets consistently 22.4 mpg comblined between highway and city.
  • cool..thanks for the advice..I actually picked it up yesterday. I ended up upgrading to the E320. Both are GREAT cars...
  • Yeah. If I didn't have to parallel park downtown, I think I'd have gone E-Class too. Congrats on the new car.
  • thanks.... i can totally understand that... I try to avoid parking like that at all costs
  • how do you change the rear brakes on 2003 c240?
  • Just had lots of maintenance done to my 2001 C-240. Has only 76,000 miles:

1. replaced front/rear engine mounts
    2. replaced engine belt
    3. power steering flush
    4. brake fluid flush
    5. coolant flush
    6. replaced side seals
    7. replaced air mass censor

Does this seem excessive? Because it cost a fortune & I'm wondering if I should consider getting rid of it.

I'd appreciate thoughts on this...........thx.
  • replacing the mass air flow sensor (MAF) is bull. That should be cleaned every 10k for a couple of bucks. Its two screws to get to it, and you spray it down with a $10 cleaner. There is no way that should have been replaced under normal conditions.

Everything else is typical car maintenece from what I can tell. The engine belt? Are we talking timing belt (in which case, 76k is early) or an accesory belt, like for your A/C?
  • Thx for your input. It was the engine belt due to cracking.

This if my 1st Benz. Prior to this car, I had a Ford & never had to do any of this stuff however, I sold it @ 7 yrs. I was planning to keep this car for 100,000 or plus miles.

Just seemed like a lot of items needed attention all at once.
  • uteoatuteoat Posts: 2
    I'm in the middle of rebuilding a mercedes 123 diesel. There are no oil jets in this one as described in the book. Looking further I have found no oil passage in the conrods. The engine was recently rebuilt and the conrod numbers don't match up with the corresponding cylinders, so they might have been replaced.
    My question is how does the oil cooled piston get the lubrication it needs if there is no way for the oil to get to it?
    I,ve posted in other forums to try to get this question answered and am hoping there is some mechanical genius out there that can help me out with this one.

Any and all help would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks,
    uteoat :sick:
  • patpat Posts: 10,421
    Hi - welcome to CarSpace!

Let me recommend that you also post in our Technical Questions discussion. You might be more likely to find that mechanical genius :) there, but we'll see if one shows up here as well.

Good luck - hope we can help!
  • I just bought a motor home and want to tow my 2002 C-240 behind it. Does anyone know if you can do this without causing any damage to the transmission/drive train?
  • I recently had the C240 at the mechanic to replace rims and align the car and he said the spark plugs need replaced. the engine runs very choppy at idle and also making a whining noise when i start it up in the morning, until the engine gets warm. how hard is it to change the spark plugs and where would i find out how to do it myself? secondly, does anyone know what the whining noise is? It never happens unless it is cold outside. thanks for the help.
  • I belive the noise you hear is the electric air pump for emmissions. It will run for 5 minutes or so and then shut off. The spark plugs are pretty easy to service. Simply remove the air tube across the top of the engine, remove the top cover that sets ontop of the valve cover, by taking loose the 8 allen head bolts that go through the cover then you`ll see the coil packs. they can be removed by taking loose the 10 mm bolts and setting aside to uncover the spark plugs that are down in the head tubes.
  • I don't know about 2003 model, but I guess things don't change much, especially for Mercedez. I have a C 240 2001 model and feel so regret. I drove BMW and wanted to try out Mercedez. This was a big mistake. This car has so many problems, ranging from small electrical light sockets to big items like transmission oil crack, accelerator sensors, etc. I've been spending in average about $1000 to $2000 every 2 months or so to keep the car running even though we always have regular services with Mercedez Benz. Every time we bring the car in and out, it's always > $1000 service. We're always in the upset mood w/ this car because things are broken every 2-3 weeks or so. Think twice before buying any Mercedez Benz, just 2 cents.
  • I have the same car C240 MB, 2001. It's a piece of junk. I've had so many problems with this car that I want to get rid of it today. We've been spending $1000 to $2000 every 2 or 3 months to keep this car running even though we have regular services w/ MB dealer. Electrical things including expensive sensors are failing everywhere, transmission oil cracks, engines die at middle of intersections, etc. Every time I bring the car to the service, it costs $1000 to $2000 easily. Big mistake. Never MB again...
  • I have a 2003 C240 Wagon 4Matic with 59k miles and no major problems. The door actuator went out on the drivers door and one of the tail lights burned out....thats it. I have read that they ironed out a lot of the problems during the first two years of production....or at least I hope they did. The car drives very nice and almost feels like our 1995 E320 Wagon. A little more power would be nice but it is just a wagon.
  • egambegamb Posts: 1
    Can someone provide comments and experience on my recent situation with my C240 4-Matic Mercedes Benz (2005 year).

When car is cold (I live in the Northeast), there is loud brake scrunching noise when I step on the brake.

Also, is it normal for the sterring wheel to be tight at slow speeds? It requires "extra effort" to turn. I also have a Toyota and steering wheel is never that tight as my Benz.

Thx in advance. Ed
  • 604doc604doc Posts: 182
    While not 'Benz' specific, the crunching noise, if it goes away after one or two brake applications, could be just a small bit of rust that formed on the brake disc. My Jeep will do that, especially if I park it after driving in the rain, and not drive it again for a couple days.
    As far as the steering goes, it would make sense that if the fluid is really cold, it may take a little extra steering effort until the fluid warms up. I would think it would have to be real cold though. Here in seattle, it doesn't get that cold, so I haven't really experienced the problem you have. Hope this helps a little. I'm sure some other MB folks will chime in.
  • ruckenrucken Posts: 2
    Hi Frankn

I have a 2001 c240 with the same problems the car has 130000 km and so far spend over $ 5500 and not finish yet i have to change the steering rack which cost another $ 2383 two outer tie rod ends and so on, I agree with you on the BIG MISTAKE part, NEVER MB AGAIN FOR ALL THE PEOPLE TO KNOW
  • I obviously have a leak somewhere because I keep vacuuming out the area behind my passenger seat. We're due for a lot of rain, so if someone has a suggestions on how/where to check and see if I have a clog or leak, that would be great!
    2002 Mercedes C240
    gracias!