Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Porsche Cayman Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• habitat1habitat1 Posts: 4,282
    "I understand that Porsche intentionally geared the Cayman S this way to keep it from being faster than the 911."

Bunk. The 3.8 liter engine in the 911S has 20% more horsepower and torque than the Cayman S. It posts road test results that put it in the 3.9-4.2 second 0-60 range, significantly faster than the Cayman S, which is essentially the same (very good) performance as the Boxster S. I know that there are some that wish Porsche would go mid-engine rather than rear engine layout for the 911, but they are fighting 40+ years of iconic level history. And when you look at how advanced the 997 model 911 is in handling, I don't think there is much of a need for those purists to worry. The new GT3 is being touted as one of the best handling sports car in the world and the best handling production Porsche ever.
  • bibs1bibs1 Posts: 3
    This is my dream car of 30 years so i don't want to blow this. I was thinking maybe buying it on line but then you don't see the actual car. What it has and the extras you really didn't want. So, maybe the dealership, but now you may pay too much. Also, when is the best time. I see one I would like, color and model, should I play the waiting game?

dave
  • donc6donc6 Posts: 16
    Dave, I'm in the same boat... I'm ready to sit down with a dealer and want to know what sort of "deal" I can expect. I see that the delta in MSRP and Invoice for options is 15%.. but the web shows no "invoice price"... do we assume that a hungry dealer will be willing to deal in the 10% discount range for the car and options??

Anyone who has a recent experience -- your feedback would be helpful!
    donc6
  • habitat1habitat1 Posts: 4,282
    First, you can check the Porsche web site for a list of dealers in your area (up to 300 mile radius) and then click on each to show their inventories. Finding car(s) in the colors and options you want is the first step.

Second, on pricing, there is roughly a 12-13% markup between MSRP and invoice on the entire car, factory options included. I would think you should be able to get a 6-7% discount, although some geographic areas are more competitive than others. A 10% discount would be a great deal on a brand new car (not demo). You might be able to cut a slightly better deal in September, as the 2008's start to arrive, but now's a pretty good time as well.

My dealer indicated that Porsche cut back production on most of its models starting in late 2006 to tighten up supply in anticipation of a bit of a recession in the US. So, in his case, he said he could not match the deal he gave me on a loaded 2005 911S Cab in September 2005 (10.3% discount). He indicated 6-7% is the most he would discount the same car today. That's only one dealer, and the Cayman may be in a different supply situation than the 911S, so shop around.

Lastly, I had my best luck dealing directly with sales managers or general managers, rather than sales staff. And I did have to go outside my immediate area (to Baltimore, from DC) to get the best deal. Hasn't been a problem for service (done locally) or in any other way, and I saved at least $5k+ by driving 55 miles for the purchase.
  • kyfdx@Edmundskyfdx@Edmunds Posts: 25,952
    ..has about 10 Cayman/Cayman S in stock...

That seems like a lot...

Moderator - Prices Paid, Lease Questions, SUVs

thanks for the information.. I did all of this and found the car,color,options that I wanted (and importantly a car without options I didn't want to pay for)... and had a fairly good buying experience. The dealer discounted the car about 7%, with a bit of give and take.

No buyers remorse! and I now have a car of my time gone by dreams....
    Happy to part of the "club"..
    D
    Well.. tell us about the car.. We've only got 28 posts here so far.. we've got time.. ;)

Pretty standard... as far as Caymans go.. Artic Silver, CD changer, PPA (the usual heated seats, radio upgrade) and auto climate control. I've had a few say I should have gone for the Cayman S.. but frankly, the extra 10K was daunting.. and the base Cayman has a whole lot of power. And I get to claim some "environmental" bragging rights with its 32 mpg on highway.

Some dealers had more CS's than standards.. others about 50/50. Even though I was only buying the standard (about the least expensive car on the lot), the sales staff treated me with respect, allocated as much time as I needed and seemed adequately fair. I mean, they still need to make a profit on the car.

That's about it.. thanks to some nice virtual hand-holding from Edmunds and some very good background information..
    see you all down the road!
  • I took delivery on a new 2007 Carmona Red Cayman S about a month and a half ago, the sand interior, 6 speed, 19 inch wheels, Bose surround, no CD changer (I am glad), no auto climate control (that I wish I had, the standard control takes some getting used to). Dealer was easy to work with, treated me well, gave me a very fair price. Of course I negotiated with 3 different dealerships and was flexible on color, did not want a lot of options, and told them I would take a unit in stock.

This is my first Porsche and I am absolutely wild about this car, so much fun to drive! Just got back from a drive from LA to Monterey and back to catch the MotoGP race at Laguna Seca, took almost entirely back roads. Must admit that I could not keep up with the sport bikes in the real twisty sections of Pacific Coast Highway 1. Already have about 2,300 miles on the car, and I do not drive it every day. I find that I don't use the sound system much because I enjoy listening to the engine so much.

So have fun with yours!
  • bibs1bibs1 Posts: 3
    Well...thanks for all your responses...I walked into my local dealer and test drove the car I had been eyeing on the net. After test driving it along with my wife...we walked into the salesman's office and I asked what type of discount he could give me on the sticker price. He gave me 10 % off right away. So I went a thousand lower and he gave it to us. We both knew that the '08's were on their way and they had 9 '07's on their lot. So I bought it. It's Atlas grey and the cayman stick. Grey leather int. So far I love the car. Think this is it for me forever. Again thanks to all of you who gave me your experiences to go on.
  • I have a 2006 Cayman S and I recently had a problem with the rear left stroud. A friend informed me that it seems to happen to a lot of caymans. I lowered my car about 8 months ago with H&R springs, and the dealer doesn't want to be responsible for the repairs because I lower the car. Any comments.
    Thanks-

Shane
    I think you are referring to the strut..

I'm not an expert on warranties, but if you modify the suspension, and then a related suspension part fails, then they are likely to deny coverage.

Good luck with it..

• vwguild1vwguild1 Posts: 98
    Exactly...Porsche will not warranty work done by an aftermarket vendor...Nor will anyone else...
    yep.. agree with the previous posts... also, if you have any other technical questions, try "www.caymanclub.net".. the folks at that site are really pretty solid technically..
  • kmanskmans Posts: 20
    I always recommend registering your Cayman at www.caymanclub.net as well as joining PCA if you need technical information, warranty advice, or generally just about anything related to the Cayman.
  • Whats the difference between CaymanS 07 and 08 model ? I cant seem to find any. Please advise. Thanks.
  • I've pretty much decided to buy a 2008 Cayman with tiptronic as an option. Question; is the sports exhaust option worthwile - in terms of a more robust sound?

Thanks.
    Do data on the sound.. but the existing systems sounds pretty good now, IMO....
    Good luck...and enjoy...
  • i agree! i currently drive an m3 and only two things impressed me about the cayman s. 1 was the exhaust note. 2 was the handling.
  • I don't mean to be critical of you personally, but as a long time Porsche person, the idea of a tiptronic equiped Cayman with a sport exhaust makes me cringe.

The base Cayman isn't exactly a speed demon to begin with. Handicapping it with a $3,500 tiptronic takes it down a couple of more notches. From my experience driving various 911's, the Tiptronic doesn't just adversely affect the straight line acceleration, but also affects how the car handles curves and transitions, compared to the positive engagement of the Porsche's excellent 6-speed manual. But....to then add a $2,400 sport exhaust system on a base tiptronic Cayman seems like a bad joke. And a potentially embarassing one. You'd end up with a car that sounds like it can keep up with a $200k Ferrari and yet in reality would have a tough time keeping ahead of a $20k Mazda Miata. All image, but limited substance.

IMO, rather than spend a total of $6,000 on Tiptronic and sport exhaust on a base Cayman, you should consider getting a 6-speed Cayman S and have a real world class sports car. Or, just get a manual transmission base Cayman and take the Porsche (or other) performance driving school.

I know my position sounds harsh, but I think you should hear it straight, rather than sugar coated. If you still want to spend $60k on a base Cayman with a lame slushbox and a mean exhaust, it's your money.