Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Porsche Cayman Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• kmanskmans Posts: 20
    Well considering that the Cayman S outruns, outhandles, outbrakes, and outperforms the M3 in every way, I'm surprised the exhaust note and handline was all you picked up on.

As far as the person wanting the sports exhaust there are a lot better options available to you, check the articles section at caymanclub.net and you'll find reviews and dyno tests of several aftermarket exhaust systems for the Cayman, ones that produce real horsepower.

Check out the Capristo system on my Cayman S, just visit YouTube and search for Capristo and Cayman and you'll find it.
  • Thanks to all who replied to my question about the sports exhaust. Quite convincing - glad to save the money.
  • habitat1habitat1 Posts: 4,282
    I have a 911S with the sport exhaust ($2,400) and sport chrono ($920) options.

My sport exhaust is turned on by the "sport" button which also activates the sport programming in the sport chrono package (faster throttle response, faster braking response). The PASM suspension setting can be toggled separately between normal and sport, but the sport exhaust cannot be toggled separately from the sport chrono.

The net effect of the sport exhaust and faster throttle response of the sport chrono is significant. The car feels and sounds like it took a steroid shot from Barry Bonds trainer. Although Porsche doesn't claim any increase in horsepower, the perception is that the car is quicker.

My bottom line is that:

(a) I would not get the sport exhaust without also getting the sport chrono. The sport chrono is a bigger bang for the buck in terms of throttle response and feel. And they way it integrates with the sport exhaust is a much better package overall.

(b) I would not get an aftermarket sport exhaust, myself. I like the seamless factory integration of the Porsche system and I would want to have the ability to toggle the exhaust off. There are times when you don't want to wake your neighbors coming home. While it is true that some aftermarket systems claim increases in horsepower, that's usually with a series of other options that add significantly to the cost. A friend of mine dumped $15k into modifying a 2001 996 Turbo with a sport exhaust, larger turbos, engine reprogramming and a heavy duty clutch. But, in the end he had a car with 550+ hp at the wheels and a 11.0 second 1/4 mile ticket to show for it. I don't think that's what you are looking for in a base Cayman.

(c) Lastly, while it is your money, I'd have to side with redsoxgirl that a sport exhaust on a base, tiptronic Cayman is a little peculiar. I took my 911S off the lot and got a great deal ($10k off), essentially making the sport exhaust a freebie. But if I was paying for it, I'd likely stretch for an "S" model before I added a sport exhaust to a base model. Especially in the Cayman where the "S" gets you an addtional 50 hp, compared to 30 in the 911. That's a huge difference. As is the 6-speed vs. tiptronic. My manual transmission is a sheer pleasure and exceptionally easy to modulate, even in DC area traffic. There is NO reason, IMO, to get a $3,400 tiptronic unless you are physically disabled.
  • If you prefer an automatic to manual, you would be mentally disable to get the manual. You would never be happy with the car. The tip is an excellent option, but with all Porsche options it is expensive. That chat you got about the performance difference in the tip and manual is pretty much bs for a casual driver on the open road. The tips command a premium in the Atlanta market. Last I heard there were less than 5% produced with tips. As far as the sport exhaust, there are many sources for aftermarket exhaust and many choices for sound. The sport exhaust may be louder than you would wish to normally run around town with and another choice would actually give you a better boost in performance and a sound to please. Actually, the stock is what I prefer. These cars already have quite a bit of road noise to deal with. The sports chrono package gives the sense of an increase in performance by changing throttle response. You can upgrade the computer programing and get real performance increase for less money, add about 30 hp.

You should get your hands on a few issues of excellence magazine and check out all of the aftermarket items available for these cars........you will be quite surprised.
    That chat you got about the performance difference in the tip and manual is pretty much bs for a casual driver on the open road....You can upgrade the computer programing and get real performance increase for less money, add about 30 hp.

First, a "casual driver on the open road" describes the original poster, he would be just as well off driving a slushbox Camry. It's bs to suggest that is the metric for buying a Porsche.

Second, double check your logic, please. In the Boxster and the Cayman, the performance difference between the 6-speed manual and Tiptronic in performance is HUGE, relatively speaking. The manual transmissioned base model in both cars is damn near as quick as the tiptronic in the "S" models with 50 more horsepower. Same goes for the 911. So on the one hand, you are suggesting paying $3,400 for Tiptronic to castrate the equivalent of 30-50 horsepower out of the performance of the car and then spend even more money to reprogram the engine to try to get some of that back? And according to my dealer, you could be flirting with invalidating the warranty.

IMO, it's a no brainer. Get a manual, save a bundle and have a real sports car that will be a lot more fun to drive. Can't expain your claim about the Atlanta market, but my dealer in Maryland will not order any Boxster, Cayman or 911 with a tiptronic without a non-refundable deposit. Maybe it's the Nascar vs. Formula One demographic.
  • Re-read habitat1's response - it's spot on.

I have to ask, though, claiming the Tiptronic to be an "excellent option" and claiming the performance difference from a manual is "bs", have you ever driven either? That seems like an unbelievable statement if you have.

My brother, a former race team member and still consultant to Porsche doesn't have a single peer in his Porsche group that would opt for the Tiptronic, even on the 911 Turbo, in spite of its claim to being quicker - thanks to a "launch control sequence" that idiots can use to impress other idiots at a stoplight. He still teaches performance driving courses for Porsche and Ferrari - using strictly manuals - and lives outside Atlanta. Perhaps you should look him up. In fairness, there is some positive anticipation of the DSG transmission Porsche has been working on for some time and should be introducing soon. But there is no love lost on the Tiptronic slushbox by anyone who is a serious Porsche enthusiast.
  • Ok,

The MSRP is 53,575 not including 860 freight. New '08 Cayman.

The dealer is offering me a 3,000 discount and doesn't seem to be willing to give more than that. Is that an acceptable proposal?

Thanks for your opinion.
  • By the way, the deal referred to in the previous message (#48) is a cash deal.
    Is that a car on the dealers lot, or one he would specifically order to your specs? That's probably a fair deal (5-6% discount) on a new 2008 Cayman, but I've heard of 10%+ discounts on new 2007's.
  • kyfdxkyfdx Posts: 27,704
    Let's try to help with pricing, and leave that debate to the general discussion..

While I would never buy a Cayman with Tiptronic, other people would still like to know how much to pay.

I'm on your side, but wading through this debate, every time, is going to obscure the mission of this particular discussion.

Thanks!
    kyfdx
    Host-Prices Paid Forums

Prices Paid, Lease Questions, SUVs

• It's about to go into production and I have made a few changes on options. Won't get it until December. Pretty much like an ordered car.

No real selection of '07's at this particular dealer. But I guess I had in mind more like 7% off on an '08.

Thanks
    I bought my 2005 911S off the lot almost exactly 2 years ago at a discount of about 10.5%, the best deal I could have gotten at that time on a 2006 made to my specs was $5,000 off (5%) The new 997 was still "hot" at the time and the general economy was better, but I've also heard that Porsche has cut back production somewhat recently, so as to keep supply and demand in balance. So I think you should be satisfied with your deal at 5.6% off.

On the other hand, you might want to check inventories at other dealers in your area/region via Porsche's website. I ended up getting my good deal at a Baltimore area dealer 50 miles away after the 4 closer dealers scoffed at much of any discounting. And I haven't had any problems getting good service at the nearby dealer that didn't get the sale. For me, getting a 2005 for effectively $7k less than a 2006 (factoring in a 2% price increase) was worth it. Especially since it gave me the opportunity to drive the car (Cabriolet) in the fall rather than wait until December for delivery.
  • kelfkelf Posts: 83
    Any 2008 model specific ordering, pricing and discount experiences?
  • Hello...Ive never owned a Porsche but really like the Cayman. Im looking for some sound advice for a GOOD BUYING EXPERIENCE!!
    1. Should I shoot for around 10% off MSRP?
    2. Can my friends out there give me a breakdown of their buying experience, ie MSRP, what you actually paid, how much you put down, monthly cost, what you might do differently...thanks so much!!!
    A few suggestions:

(1) If you are ready to buy now, and want the best price, scour dealer inventories for leftover 2007's in the colors and options you want. You can get a list of all dealers within up to a 300 mile radius of your zip code via. Porsche's website (find a dealer tab): Porsche USA

(2) 9-10% off an in-stock 2007 Cayman would be a very good deal. 5-7% off a made to order 2008 would be a good deal. This is from my experience in my area (DC), it varies by geography.

(3) Study the option list via Edmunds and the Porsche brochures. It's a mile long and many of the options are excessive, IMO. Especially if you are trying to stay within a budget and want to have good resale value. Rather than load up a base Cayman with expensive options, I suggest considering a Cayman S with minimal options. The 295 hp Cayman S (and Boxster S) is a significantly elevated driving experience from the base model, IMO.

(4) I paid cash for my 911S, so I can't help you with financing suggestions. But, from what I've heard, Porsche leases are rather expensive (compared to say, BMW) and they offer little, if any, financing subsidies.

(5) What I'd do differently: Stop procrastinating on taking Porsche's Performance Driving School. Everyone I know that has taken the 2 day course says it adds considerably to their ownership experience.
  • thanks for the info!
  • I do not know what part of the country you are in, but the highest discounts generally offered are in the southeast. There are two Atlanta dealers who are extremely competitive as Porsche USA is also located in Atlanta. Bought my Cayman S there. The cars are ported nearby also, so they can do a lot of allocation swapping. Generally the west coast dealers offer the smallest discounts because of demand and allocation limitation.

I have purchased both new Caymans and Carreras, presently drive a 2007 Carrera S2 which was purchased from Brumos in Jax. They are Porsches number one dealer, not in units, but overall. They also have their own driving school at the Gainesville raceway, which comes at no charge with a purchase and instruction is by one of Porsche's race drivers. Highly reccomended. Porsches school is in Birmingham, Barber race track, also highly recommended, but not at no cost.

You should expect discounts in the range of 6-7%. I do not know of a 10% deal, but I had a dealer in South Carolina offer 9% on an order. Unless you want something exotic, or heavily optioned, you should be able to locate the car you want. I really do not think it matters which dealer you buy from, they all want your service business. You should surf the Porsche website for the individual dealers, and you can check their inventory. Bear in mind some of the inventory may have been sold, but this list also shows cars for the dealer which may have not been ported. If not ported, it can be transferred to another dealer before being trucked. So you can buy a west coast car on the east coast without double shipping.

You should give careful thought to the options on these cars, as they all are extremely expensive and you will not recover on trade or resale. One item which may affect your discount is if you want an automatic, as Porsche only makes a dribble of allocation for automatics.

Color choice is the most limiting on these cars, if you like silver or black, that is about half the inventories and also bring the highest dollar on trade.
  • ydvydv Posts: 2
    I am trying to decide between a 911 carrera and cayman s. A demo or slightly used carrera (07) is mid 70s it seems while a new cayman s is mid 60s or so (maybe a little less).

curious to hear peoples thoughts on this.
  • donc6donc6 Posts: 16
    a nice problem to have. I don't recall the MSRP for '07 Carrera.. but at mid 70's, I wonder how "slightly" used the car really is. In any event, I bought a Cayman 2.7 (the extra 5-8K wasn't in my budget-- and I already heard all the arguments why no one should settle for the 2.7, please) and didn't even look for an equivalent priced 911 becasue I knew it would be really "used". But frankly, I liked the body style, mid engined layout and ability to carry luggage that a carrera wouldn't handle well, e.g. two bags of golf clubs. So, for me, the decision was easy -- the handling and utility of the Cayman trumped status of the Carrera. Now, if the Cayman wouldn't have taken the golf clubs, I hate to think what I would have ended up with !!
    Don
  • Do not compare the used 911 to the Cayman unless the 911 is certified. A Porsche certified actually has a better warranty than a new Porsche. Porsche does not charge for this, but the dealers will try to add additional cost, so negeotiate this. If the extra 10 grand is not an issue, the 911 is the obvious choice. You will more than recover in trade or resale. The jump seats and the extra shoulder room is the difference, the seats will recline in the 911, but cannot in the Cayman. I have both, and the difference is there. Plus, if you are vain, the Cayman is a wanna be 911.