Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

VW Jetta Electrical Problems

Comments

• bpeeblesbpeebles Posts: 4,080
    You already have answers for #1 and #2

For #3, most auto-parts stores will gladly "pull the codes" from the computer for you... no charge.

Once you know the code which is illuminating the CEL (Check Engine Light), post it here so we may have to opportunity to help you.
  • caneelcaneel Posts: 3
    Ii finally noticed that IF you turned the light switch a hair clockwise, the problem did not take place. I then called the Princeton VW dealer, told him the problem again and he agreed to replace the light switch for free. Problem resolved!!!
  • char15char15 Posts: 1
    I have a 2003 VW Jetta GL. The other day I took it to the gas station, got gas, and went to start it and it wouldn't start. What did happen was that all the lights in my dash started flickering like crazy, my automatic locks were clicking, a CD came out of my CD player, hazard lights in the dash went on and just a consant ticking sound. No turn over with the engine at all. I jumped it, cables were hooked up for a good 20 minutes and still nothing. I jiggled a few things, and then by the grace of god, it started! I drove it around for a while to charge up the battery (if this was the case). The next morning, I went out and it started right up. A few hours later I took it to the grocery store just fine, then when I went to leave the grocery store... same thing all over again. I sat for a few minutes and kept trying, and then again it started up. This morning I went to go to work, and the same thing again! The engine doesn't turn over at all just the dash lights go nuts and lots of ticking sounds. I do have an automatic car starter that was installed after I got it, but I've had that for 5 or 6 years and it's been fine. I have never replaced the battery, but since it randomly starts is it a battery problem?? HELP!
    edited March 2012
    Although I have never seen it on a 2003, it is easy to check for the Coolant Migration Problem

If you are still running the original 2003 battery.... it does not owe you anything and may be ready for retirement.

Oh-- check the snugness of ALL the connections within the PDU (Power Distribution Unit) which sits on top of the battery. (They are KNOWN to get loose and may actually MELT the plastic due to poor connection.) A 10mm wrench is the right size but DO NOT let it touch anything metal while tightening (direct short across battery will result with lots of sparks!)
  • omgfedupomgfedup Posts: 2
    Nothing is more frustrating than a drained battery I have been having to unplus my battery cables every time i exit the car. I too took it various places with no luck like i said i now just unplug battery.. :confuse:
  • omgfedupomgfedup Posts: 2
    Someone Please HELP!!The EPC Light came on in my car and then the car just shut down.. Looked it up its called Electronic Power Control sugguests I contact dealer ASAP has anyone else had this problem I donot have funds to take to dealer and really need car any and all advice will be greatly appreciated. Thank You :sick:
  • Just got back from 20000 mile service check to find that they still cannot detect the issue I am having with the radio, so I am trying here!!

Within in twenty minutes of driving, a clicking sound will start from behind my steering wheel and then my radio will do one and/or a combination of the following things: sound will turn on/off; radio lights will flash; radio will just turn off by itself, all while the clicking sound continues.

Anybody have any ideas??
  • t77t77 Posts: 1
    I own a 2009 VW jetta se with less than 21k miles on it, but the warranty ran out at the end of May 2012. A few days after I experienced my first problem where the rear passenger side window wound itself down by itself and when I tried to wind it up, it would automatically roll back down just before it was about to close completely. I finally was able to get it to stay up by pressing the button a second at a time instead of holding it down. Later that day, the windshield wipers started mpving rapidly on the slowest setting, then slowing down to almost a stop, then going rapidly again. Two weeks later my left blinker started moving rapidly during a short trip, but then was working normally the next trip. Also today, my dash showed a burnt out taillight which worked once I removed the panel and replaced it without changing the bulb. Not serious problems, but I'm worried that it may be electrical and could end up causing a bigger problem soon. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated! I am hoping to avoid taking it into the dealership (only one close by and they are awful) especially out of warranty.
  • stix818stix818 Posts: 4
    I'm having a similar issue.. First battery went dead which was about 2 years old.. I took a spare Optima I had just to get me by.. Wife came home at lunch and when she went to go back to work the dash was flashing, can hear things clicking and so on.. The clock would blink on and off. I charged the battery over night no luck.. Put the charger to jump start and got it running but the Tach and other gauges kept coming on and off along with a blinking brake light.. Took the charger off the battery while it was running and it died instantly.. Any ideas? Thanks in advance!!!
    edited July 2012
    Instead of just replacing things... figure out the problem and FIX it.

Have you taken voltage readings?
    Is the alternator putting out ~ 14.8 Volts? (across battery terminals)
    Have you removed/cleaned every body-ground you can find?
    Is there any resistance: (voltage drop)
    - between the engine and the chassis?
    - between engine and battery minus?
    - between chassis and battery minus?

The power-distribution on top of the battery is KNOWN to get resistive if you do not keep the bolts snugged on all of the fuses. In worst cases, fires have resulted. (The effects of underhood environment causes the connections to corrode and become resistive)
  • I bought my 2003 Jetta about 6 months ago, Everything worked great until a friend tried to roll my windows down when they were frozen in place due to freezing rain the night before, It obviously broke off the tracks or somthing and fell in. I finally got it to stay mostly up and i left it that way. A few weeks later, Most every electrical luxury stopped working, ( Auto windows, door locks, gas cover, truck, interior lights, and alarm) My cigarette lighter, dash lights and radio still work though. The window switch and door locks are still illuminated. SO they're clearly getting some power. What do i do?
    edited July 2012
    The glass breaking off the "Window regulator" is pretty common. (There was even a recall on them whereas VW fixed them for free)

However: I doubt that has any association to the other electrical issues you are experiencing. Look for a blown fuse. I believe the fusebox is in the flat area of the dash which is uncovered when the drivers door is open.

There is also a Power Distribution above the battery which contains several large fuses.... (unlikely for them to blow)
  • Own a 2004 VW Jetta GLS. 115K. Began having electrical problems in December 2010. Tick tick sound coming from steering wheel column sometimes when using turn signal. Drained battery and had to get a new battery. 1 year later had to get another new battery. Took the car to many mechanics for inspections and to try to fix the problem....$1000 later still ongoing. On my 3rd battery since February 2012 and died few weeks ago. Got a replacement battery under warranty. Started car today and died on me again. ABS and Air bag light came on. Radio won't turn on. Car won't start at all. Doors lock and unlock with remote though.

Keep fixing the car or get a new one? Car has been so good to me for years until this started. I don't drive it hard either. I take very good care of my car. So frustrating!
  • belaircarguybelaircarguy Posts: 107
    With all the drained / new batteries, obviously there is a short or bare wire that is constantly putting a drain on the battery. The constant drain and then charge (when you drive) wears out the battery. Looks like the mechanics are not finding the source of the short. Perhaps it's time to try the dealer, as they are usually better equipped to find such things than the local mechanic. There may even be a service bulletin on this problem that the dealer would have access to, and perhaps not the local mechanic.

Bel Air Car Guy
    I suppose you know there were 2 recalls for "drained batteriy"... in both cases, the brakelignt switch on the brake-pedal would sometimes stick in the "on" position... hence the brakelights would stay on all the time and drain the battery.

If your problem was this, you could look at the brakelights when the vehicle is parked to see if they are on.

If that is NOT your case, simply MEASURE the drain on the battery with a meter as you yank out one fuse at a time.... this will quickly isolate problem-circuit.
  • My sister just bought a 2000 Jetta and her emergency lights and door locks start going crazy when shes driving. I checked the fuses and changed the ones that were blown but none of them seem to have helped to fix the problem. Any idea on what it could possibly be.
  • I have a 1997 Jetta GL that is doing some strange stuff. I can't get the air (heat or AC) to work without turning the headlights on. No air comes out of the vents at all. Once I turn on the headlights, it starts up. The backlights on the AC, recirculation, lock, etc. buttons on the dash only light up intermittently when I have the headlights on. Sometimes they work, sometimes they don't. My high beams also don't work unless I hold the lever back. But doing that also causes the air to stop working. Ideas?
    This answer is for BOTH the above complaints....

Have you checked for the Coolant migration problem?
  • Hi all, my stereo light has been on now for a couple of years, its never been a problem as the car was used mostly daily, but haven't used the car much lately, was left standing for 2 months, and it totally killed the battery. I've replaced the battery a couple of weeks ago with a not very old one from a breakers yard but now this one has drained also to the point the car won't start. I've only been out in it twice in that time and had it running in the garden a couple more times, so I wouldn't have expected the alternator to keep it charged if something is draining the battery while its turned off.
    Does anyone know how to get the light on the stereo to turn off as it could be a cause of the battery drain?

Thanks in advance.
  • I have a 2000 jetta and there are several problems. My doors won't lock with the remote or door switch, the electric mirrors won't adjust, my gas lid won't unlatch, and my remote won't roll the windows up when the car is off. How can I fix this?