Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

VW Jetta Electrical Problems

Comments

• andrea45andrea45 Posts: 15
    Hey David! Just got a call from the mechanic & it looks like its the thermostat..only downside is that he wants $250 for the labor! Plus $40. for the coolant/part & then another $40 for the diagnostic.. ugh! So I told him I would have my husband put it in. Do you know how difficult it is to put a thermostat in? They said it would be 3 hrs of labor, so it probably isn't easy to do. Or maybe its just that it's difficult to get to that area, so it takes awhile to get to it. I told him I was just so glad he found out what the problem was & that I would be back in to see him when I needed additional work on my car. Your right, it's nice to find a good mechanic that you can trust. Hey- did you ever get your CEL problem figured out? Take care! Andrea
  • vwdawgvwdawg Posts: 162
    Hi Andrea: Good to hear you have made progress on this issue. I have not replaced a thermo on any of my Jettas ('99, '01, or '05), but my assumption would be that the average guy could do this, as long as they have reasonable mechanical know-how and basic metric tools. He should go to your local NAPA, Auto Zone, O'Reilly or whatever auto parts store, pick up the thermo, but ALSO get a basic Haynes or Chilton manual that covers the year of your Jetta (around $20...well worth the price). This will provide step-by-step instructions. I would assume that the Jetta would use only H12 antifreeze (ORANGE!! Do NOT use green unless the owners manual specifically calls for it). He can also get this at the store, around $15/gallon, probably won't take much more than 1 or 1.5 gallons, mix 50-50 w/ water).

I haven't gotten around to checkin the CEL with Fred's VAG, but I'll let you know how that turns out. Keep me posted on getting your thermo replaced...good luck to your hubby! David
    Hi David..Thanks for all the info...Im definately going to get a Haynes manual for my car. I had one for my Honda & it really came in handy & im glad that a new thermostat isn't so expensive..so im sure I can find one at Napa or Auto Zone..now if I can just talk my husband in to replacing it! AND, I wont go "green"! I'll be sure to use ORANGE :) Youve been so helpful & I appreciate it! I hope you get your CEL problem figured out..keep me posted, im curious. :D P.S....Hope it's not FREEZING cold in MN...it's balmy here! hehehe
  • jeffyscottjeffyscott Posts: 3,855
    I think the coolant is called G12, not H12 and I thought it was blue, not orange :confuse:.

Anyway, just be sure to not mix green and G12. Make sure you know for certain what is in there before adding anything other than water. If you are not the original owner you never know if a previous owner may have (unwisely) had the G12 flushed out and replaced with green.
    Hi David...man, figuring out what kind of antifreeze to use for your car sure seems to be complicated!...I was reading my owner's manual & I think you meant to say G12...that's exactly what my manual says to use as well...they also say that the cooling system was filled at the factory with a permanent coolant which does not need to be changed. it's a mixture of water & G12A8D- glycol based with anti-corrosion additives...The only part of the manual that mentions anything about the actual color of the coolant is when they state that you should never add an additive, like G11 with G12..and that you can recognize a red color in the expansion tank. But if the liquid in the tank is brown, then G12 has been mixed with another additive; in which case, you would need to change it as soon as possible. Heck, even my manual is complicated! It took me forever to find anything about antifreeze in the manual! That's Volkswagen for ya! Im off to get a Haynes manual & thermostat tomorrow..im so relived the mechanic found out what the problem was. I hope you get your CEL figured out..keep me posted! Thanks again..Andrea :)
    Ah, that's right G12 is pink. Prior to G12, VW had G11 which was blue (I think).

Apparently there is now also G12+ that is purple.

I think the orange coolant is similar to G12 and some think it is okay to mix with G12. If it were me, I'd not take chances and would just stick with the official VW product, G12 even if it may cost a few extra bucks.
    Hi Andrea and jeffyscott: I think I accidentally hit the "H" rather than the "G" on my keyboard and didn't edit closely before sending. Yes, both of you are absolutely correct...G12 is what I meant. It IS a reddish-orange color, and jeffyscott is correct...NEVER mix the G12 with the green stuff...bad news. I'm not sure I would never change my coolant, but it seems the manufacturers claim the G12 is good for 100-150k miles. The previous owner of my Audi apparently didn't change the coolant, and my heater core got very plugged up. Of course, maybe THEY made the mistake of adding green to the orange. In any case, if your coolant reservoir contains a green (or worse, brown) colored fluid, I would have it flushed vigorously and immediately. Andrea...no CEL resolution yet...haven't had time to visit Fred, but I'll follow up. Let me know how the thermo change goes. D
  • whitgallmanwhitgallman Posts: 121
    2000 Jetta VR6 has the left front low beam head light out, so I replaced it. The new bulb didn't work either so I checked between the leads with an ohm meter and found both bulbs good. The high beam lights work fine on both sides. I checked the fuses and they were all good, cleaned their contacts.
    What else could be wrong? Could the 'day time running light' controller make the left low beam not work?
    Anybody have this problem and fix it?
    Any ideas?
    Hello whitgallman: When you state "checked between the leads", do you mean you checked the leads on the bulbs? I have owned several Jettas, never had this issue, but are you getting voltage at the connector that goes on to the bulb? If not, I would assume you're going to need to follow the wiring back from the connector until you get a reading on your tester. There must be a break in the continuity somewhere. Maybe someone else has a better idea, but let me know what you find. Good luck... vwdawg
  • joepeacejoepeace Posts: 3
    I have a 2003 Jetta and the battery keeps going dead I have replaced the battery 3 times and I just replased the alternator. What else should I be looking for?
  • bates2bates2 Posts: 2
    Have you had any luck finding the problem? I have a 00 Jetta doing the same thing.
  • bates2bates2 Posts: 2
    I have the same car and I'm having the same problem. Have you had any luck find out the problem?
  • joepeacejoepeace Posts: 3
    I wound up replacing the alternator and the battery. It appears that the batteries that sears sells are not appropriate for this car. I got a Bosch battery from Pep Boys. I have been monitoring it for the last 6 weeks. All seems OK now. I probably did not need to replace the alternator, but I figured that it couldn't hurt to shotgun the system. all is new allseems OK
  • I have a 2003 Jetta GL 2.0. It has about 108K miles on it. Recently while driving electrical power gradually drained until indicator lights came on as systems shutdown until finally the car rolled to a stop. I brought it to the mechanic who said I needed a new alternator. He installed a rebuilt alternator. That worked fine for about 120 miles of driving over the course of about two days. Then the same exact thing happened. All electrical systems shutdown and the car wouldn't start. The battery was drained. So, I assumed I got a bad rebuild. I brought it back for a new rebuild, this time from a different manufacturer (same re-builder though). About 100 miles and two days later, the same exact thing. This has cost me about $1000 in repairs, tows and hotel bills. Either I've coincidentally received two bad rebuilds in a row or there is something else going on. Has anybody else had this type of problem? Any suggestions on how to troubleshoot it?

Thanks!

- Jay
  • So, after my mechanic checked the car out, he found that the alternator is still good, but the 150 amp fuse in the fuse box mounted on top of the battery melted. He replaced the fuse and the car is working now. It is still unclear what the root cause was though of the original alternator failure. It may have been the old battery. I installed a new battery now and plan to drive the car this weekend to see if anything happens.
  • Hi. I replaced the battery in a 2005 VW Jetta this weekend. I had the battery disconnected overnight, then put the new one in and the car works fine. Now, when I take the key out of the ignition, the clock/odometer stays on, and the battery is slowly dying overnight again. I drove around for about 70 miles or so to reset the drive cycle but it's still staying on. What do I need to do?
  • alf944alf944 Posts: 1
    Having power window problems on 97 Jetta. The only way to get the windows to go up is by putting key in passenger door and turning key. Only problem is about 10 minutes or so the windows go back down on their own with one one near the car. If you go inside the car after using the passenger side door lock to put the windows up then the only way the windows go up and down using the window switch on the door is if the car engine is not running. After this the windows still go down on their own after you leave the car. Tried to find the power window fuse to pull it when the windows are temporarily up but can't locate the fuse. Rain coming tomorrow...Not a good thing.
  • I just bought a 1996 vw jetta. I bought just a few days agao and it has been sitting for around a year and the battery was dead and the steering was locked and wouldnt unlock, i was told to put a new battery in it and it would unlock for me....so i did and it didnt work.

When i hook the battery cable up the alarm goes off for a while and the steering wheel wont unlock for nothing. I have jerked on the steering wheel pretty hard while trying to turn the key over...its stuck.

Is this an alarm issue? the guy i bought it from said he just parked it last year and hasnt ever had it do that to him.
    Not that it does any good now, but when you were told "put a new battery in it and it would unlock", the correct response was "no, you do that before I buy".
  • well i knew there was gonna be problems with the car when i bought it...it doesnt run and i gave $250 for it with a clean title....soo its not a big deal but i am just stoked on what the problem is.

i am thinking i may have received the wrong key??