Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

VW Jetta Electrical Problems

I recently purchased a 2001 Jetta 1.8T for my daughter. Last week she left the lights on for about 20 minutes and it wouldn't start. Thought it may be a weak battery. Today, it wouldn't start at first, the clock reset and then started with no problem. Later in the day, she was driving and all electrical just cut out completely for a second or two. Car started back up and the EPC, MIL and generator lights came on.
I went to look at it, and everything started ok with no warning lamps.
Any ideas???

Comments

• mstevmstev Posts: 3
    Arrrgh! It's a 2002 Jetta, not 2001. My mistake! :cry:
  • A couple of days ago i went to start my car and it wouldnt start, nor would the radio. I turned on the lights and the alarm went off. Now my alarm system seems to be disarmed with no blinking red light. My car won't start, the radio won't turn on, the lights won't turn on, everything electrical is blank. I think someone might have tried to break into my car and messed with my alarm system. Does anyone know what I can do to get my car working?

Let me know!
    Thanks!
  • meristemmeristem Posts: 1
    Hello,

wondering if anybody has any idea concerning why i keep blowing the fuse for my low beams. my left low beam light goes out, but both high beams work. i have replaced the light bulb and many fuses. when i first put in a new fuse the high beam sign on the dash lights up and won't go away even though the high beams aren't on....at this point i can't even switch my lights onto high beam. but then after a little while, the left headlight goes out--at which point both high beams begin working again. this is the only fuse that has blown.

also, my wipers won't work properly. they will work when put on the delay setting, but won't work at normal speed. i have to manually hold the switch in place if i want it to function properly.

just wondering if there are any basic things i could do to remedy these situations.

thanks kindly.
  • I'm sorry to hear of all your troubles. Unfortunately, electrical problems are very hard to diagnose, especially over the internet. The best advice I could give is to find a good repair shop, and one that specifically specializes in VWs. Joe Mechanic who works on American cars all day will have no clue whatsoever. Check out http://1.8t.org for VW dealer ratings in your area, and the mechanix files on Cartalk.com for other independent shops.
  • :sick: I drive a 1999 VW Jetta. Yesterday I tried starting my car. Nothing happened engine wise, but all of my internal lights came on. I took the key out of the ignition and the engine light, battery light and console lights remained on, and the air conditioner was still working. So I put the key back in the ignition, turned it, and it felt like it was loose; still nothing happened. I left my car in the parking lot overnight and went back this morning. Now, the ABS light is staying on and all the other lights are blinking like crazy. So I put my foot on the brake, and the blinking stopped, but the ABS light is still on. I tried turning the key in the ignition, and got the same results as before. I have no clue what to do now.
  • I own 2003 Jetta GLS 2.0 that has 70,000 miles on it and now is having problem with its driver door. It keeps saying that the door is unlock and the interior light wil turn on while I am driving.
    I also notice that my alarm went off from time to time.
    Do I have electrical system problem ? Please help.
    Thanks.

Irma
  • joker55joker55 Posts: 49
    hey geminiplanet

i am having a some what similar problem like you, i have a 1999 Jetta 2.0 and after i get out of my car and hit the lock button, the horn honks but the door does not lock, i can see the blinking light on the door but the latch remains up and the door can be opened

does anybody know what could be causing this sort of problem and any possible solutions?, me and gemini would greatly appreciate it

thanks
  • conradsconrads Posts: 1
    ran into the same problem tonight. Car wouldn't start. internal electrical and external lights worked. Dash lights flickered when turned iginition-like there was a short somewhere. At first couldn't take car out of park. Shook key ignition (felt loose) and noticed the wiring harness from ignition point was loose at engine point. reconnected and had better power connections and could move gear out of park. All electrical worked better,dash sensor lights (ABS, oil, engine) worked, but still couldn't start car. Just heard clicks at the starter. I'll try and boost it in the morning, but not sure if that will work. Might be ignition/wiring harness problem...just a thought. How did you fix your problem?
    Your help's appreciated. Cheers.
  • hi, (i know this was awhile ago but) i also just bought a 2002 jetta 1.8t last year and i am having the same problems with my car. The power just cuts out and the EPC and engine light came on, and then in addition to all that the car is overheating and neither the a/c or engine fan are working, i'm not sure if they are connected but we think it could be the cooling fan thermo switch and or an ignition coal. Did you have any luck finding the problem with your daughters car? or does anyone else know how to help, any advice or ideas are extremely helpful. thanks.
  • mstevmstev Posts: 3
    The problem has happened a couple more times since my last post. I noticed that power was coming back after I jiggled wires on terminal block on top of the battery. I pulled the battery and battery box, and cleaned and tightened all connections. I noticed when tightening the ground cable on the battery, that it wasn't making a good connection. I filed the gap on the cable end to allow it to close tighter on the terminal. This was about 3 weeks ago. My daughter has had the problem since.
  • enkenenken Posts: 3
    Problem started last year when weather turned warm. 99 Jetta starts fine in the morning, but after parking all day in hot parking lot, refused to start. Replace battery. Still had the problem. Replaced starter, still had the problem. Car ran like a top all winter. Now it's getting warmer and the problem has reoccurred. Once temp in interior goes down (at night), car starts. Help. My mechanice is stumped and refuses to try to fix.
  • badvw7badvw7 Posts: 7
    I have a 2002 VW Jetta GLS TDI that will not start... It will not even turn-over. The battery is confirmed good. I believe that there is a problem in the automatic shift lock system. When I turn the ignition to the On position the "brake pedal light" (ASL light) momentarily comes on then goes off (supposed to stay on until you depress the brake pedal) and I hear a relay click in the shift console (It is an automatic transmission). The "Automatic Shift Lock" light should stay on until I press down on the brake pedal, which then allows you to shift from park into the desired gear. I can shift it freely into any gear even without pressing down the brake pedal. Also the electronic gear indicator on the dash does not indicate which gear I am in. It just flashes on and all the gear indicators remain lighted. I am not so sure that this is a brake light switch problem. The brake lights work normally when depressing the brake. The switch also ohms out normal with an ohm meter. The switch is purple in color if this means anything. Please someone help ASAP...!!! :sick:
  • vdubber1vdubber1 Posts: 1
    I have a 2001 Jetta 2.0 4cyl and it had similar problems it drove me crazy and my mechanic replaced the coolant sender and corresponding o-ring and the car runs and starts fine now, it's not that expensive to fix and worth a shot, I think it was like $30 for parts and then $40 for labor.
  • badvw7badvw7 Posts: 7
    Interesting... The problem that you speak of caused your car to not start? What gets me is the car ran fine in the morning but when I went to drive it in the afternoon it would not crank and hasn't since. You turn the key on and the ASL light comes on then immediately goes off and a relay clicks in the gear shift console. The gear indicator on the instrument cluster fails to indicate which gear that I am in and when I turn the key to start it ... absolutely nothing happens. Its like trying to start the car with it in gear. I have tried neutral, in between gears, everything and I get nothing. Help...!!! :sick:
  • Have you taken it anywhere to get it looked at? we tightened the battery cables too just to get us home because it died at the store, but both of our fans aren't working and i heard it could be the ignition coils? i'm not sure we're taking to to a shop tomorrow because the dealership was rude and the lady said that she loved her jetta so who cares about ours, yea great help. let me know if you find anything out and i will so the same after tomorrow. thanks again.
  • mimikenimimikeni Posts: 1
    Hi Jetta people,
    I just bought a used 2000 Jetta 2.0 Automatic. I disconnected the battery cable to clean some corrosion off the terminal. After reattaching the cable, the alarm was activated. If I open a door, try to start the car or perform any action, the alarm sounds. It honks for about 30 seconds and then quits. The car came with only one key without a remote, and of course no owners manual. Anybody have any ideas?
    Mike
  • pjammepjamme Posts: 2
    I found this forum with google as I am getting nowhere with getting my problems fixed. Bought the car used and soon had to replace the battery or so I thought. This Winter had to replace it again after two years. Then my wife was on a trip to Virginia and she had a warning light come on. She stopped beside the road and looked in the manual. "Take straight to a dealer". For a small fortune they replaced the alternator.
    We went on vacation the end of April and when we came back after 10 days the battery was so dead the lock light wasn't even flashing. Clock reset as well as odometer. Jumped it and took it to repair shop, they of course couldn't find anything wrong. No battery problems since.
    In addition over the past three years I have replaced at least 8 brake light bulbs and both head lights.
    There has to be some way to find these problems
  • redcurlzredcurlz Posts: 9
    87' Jetta runs great! But, The fuel pump will only work when I've run a power wire from the pump to under the dash. How can I eliminate plugging this wire into the fuse panel under the dash to start the car and keep it running?
    Danielle :confuse:
  • carolina1carolina1 Posts: 5
    It seems that when the motor gets hot on my 96 jetta, the tacometer and speedometer quit working. Now, am I going to have to take the whole dash out and follow the wires to see if there are any shorts in the wire? Please help me figure this out. Any help would be great.
  • carolina1carolina1 Posts: 5
    I have a 96 jetta with an alarm. According to my owners manual only a vw dealer can disable the alarm. Hopefully you can find a way to do it without going to a dealer. But that is all the information I have. If I find out anything more I will let you know. Good luck.