Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

GMC Sierra: Problems & Solutions

Comments

• I have an 01 Sierra and the inside of both bumpers are rusty. Is GMC replacing them???
  • Last week my passenger door suddenly wouldn't open. The electric door lock cycled but didn't unlock the door. Even using a key on the outside wouldn't unlock the door. Took it to the dealership, they had to disassemble the door from the inside of the cab as much as they could and manipulate the lock/latch from inside with a long screwdriver to get the door to open. It seems the latch is a sealed unit and they ended up replacing it. Since the lock wasn't a stocked item they kept the truck overnight, I had the pleasure of driving a Buick Century for a day...definitely made me appreciate my truck.
  • The dealer called me two weeks ago to schedule another appointment to put the tire that they ordered on the truck. They ordered the wrong tire. So they said that they had a tech that said a simple adjustment should fix the left pull problem. They also rotated the tires to see what effect that would have. Now it pulls worse to the left. I am waiting for the replacement tire to be put on and then I will start with the manager.
  • Well they didn't put on any tires. They worked with the alignment for about 7 hours, drive it, tweaked, drive it, tweaked and drive. The alignment is correct now but I am worried that when I have another alignment problem they or anyone else that I have work on this thing will have to go through the same crap to get it right.
  • I have a 2001 Sierra and the front and rear [inside] bumpers are rusted, and all 4 rotors with20,000 miles on them had to be turned because they were rusted. Do you think that GMC will make good for these defects?
  • rayt2rayt2 Posts: 1,208
    Bonrea, Your GVW is posted on the driver side door pillar. It tells you what you can haul, I believe you said 6400 lbs. So get a trailer that has a GVW of no more than say 5400 pounds loaded. This allows you 1000 lbs. on your vehicles limit to add a full load of fuel, camping gear, firewood & passengers. Adjust accordingly of course.
    A lot of people fail to heed this GVW and end up overloading their vehicles or getting trailers to heavy when loaded for particular vehicles requirements.
    As an example, I have a 2000 3/4 ton Silverado Ex. Cab 2wd/auto/3:73 rear. My max GVW is 7200 lbs. My trailer comes out to 6000 loaded leaving me 1200 lb buffer for fuel, passengers/equipment.
    Hope this helped.

Mailman: Dealer should cover everything if your still under warranty, if the bumper rust is on backside forget it, if coming thru on chrome surface it's a warranty issue on the "rust protection" end of warranty, 5yrs. I believe. Rotors are not normally replaced under warranty unless they exceed the limits for turning down. Did you have them turned simply because they had rust on them ?? If truck sits for a while that is natural and won't hurt a thing.

Ray T.
  • They said the rust on the rotors was causing the soft pedal and they had all 4 turned. I am not happy with that because when I do need them turned again, they will say, they are too thin and have to be replaced. The rust on the bumpers are on the inside.
    They turned mine also @ 8k, when I had a pulsating feel coming thru brake pedal, rotors were warped but not enough to replace them under warranty. Dealer says GM standard procedure is to turn them first if reoccurance then replace. More GM BS as usual, anything to save a buck for the CEO's bonus check ! Inside rust on bumpers is nothing to worry about or you can spray it with "Extend" rust inhibitor, it freezes the rust in place then turns it black.

Ray T.
  • I have read some of the discussion related to rough idle, but they have problems with acceleration as well. The only problem I'm have is that it idles rough for a minute or two then it fine again. It's real noticeable when you're stopped at a traffic light. Gas mileage is excellent as well. Is this a common problem with the 99 Sierra and is there a TSB? By the way my truck has a 105,000 miles on it and runs fine. Any help will do.
  • Thanks for the info. Now I can shop for a trailer and know what to look for.

Can you help me figure out what the tonage capacity is for the bed. You mentioned that yours is a 3/4 ton. How does one figure this out?

Thanks for your help...
    I see in your profile you have a 1/2 ton pickup. Stats from GM website on 03 Silverado standard cab 1/2 ton show GVWR of 6100 lbs. Cargo capacity is 2123 lbs. that means passengers/fuel and payload combined. Does the door tag list UVW rating (unlaiden vehicle weight) By calculations 6100 gvw minus 2123 cargo capacity puts your trucks unlaiden weight at 3977 lbs.

Clear as mud now ???

Ray T.
  • I'm going to have to put in my .02 cents worth on this one. The 6400 GVWR on the door has nothing to do with trailer capacity. This pertains to the truck itself. If you're going to put a camper on the truck, this will be of great interest to you. There is also an axle limitation for front and rear. As for trailer towing limitations, it is all dependent on truck type, engine size, and transmission type. With my 1500 with 5.3 and auto, I can tow up to 8200 lbs. I also have the tow package, so I have the extras to go that high. Those without the tow package should consider auxiliary oil and transmission coolers. The trailer towing capacity should be available at the dealer. Otherwise, I'm sure someone on this site will have the info or a link to it.
  • jtt3jtt3 Posts: 20
    Lets use the 6400 GVWR for example

This is rating for truck only but hitch weight has to be added also

Truck empty is 5000 plus 2 people 300 plus a tank of gas 200 plus trailer hitch weight 700 lbs

eguals 6200 lbs which is OK 200 lbs to spare

Now I beleive this truck has a GCWR (Gross combination weight rating of 13000 lbs.

take the 6400 lbs and subtract the hitch weight and this becomes 5700 lbs

Now take 13000 lbs and subtract the 5700

gives you a trailer weight of 7300 lbs you can pull
  • WOW! Thanks for the info guys... Didn't mean to start such a big discussion thread on this topic but it looks like we can all benefit from this information.
  • If anyone has any questions about the weight of a gallon of gasoline, I found this on the web and thought I would share...

"When I worked in an automotive engine test lab -dynamometer tests - we often had to calculate the brake specific fuel consumption (BSFC) of the test engines. We had a chart for fuel density vs temperature for our fuels that was updated monthly. As I recall, the typical weight of gasoline at 72 degrees F was around 6.25# per gallon. As it became cooler it became more dense and thus weighed more and above this temperature it was less dense and a gallon weighed less.
  • 2001 GMC Sierra with the 5.3L... What the heck kind of oil is in this thing. I have people telling me that one can't put just any kind of 5w30 or 10w30, it has to be something from the dealer.

Any suggestions... and yes I have RTM.
  • joe3891joe3891 Posts: 759
    on the oil cap it should say 5W-30,any name brand oil will be ok.
  • I have read some of the discussion related to rough idle, but they have problems with acceleration as well. The only problem I'm have is that it idles rough for a minute or two then it fine again. It's real noticeable when you're stopped at a traffic light. Gas mileage is excellent as well. I took it to the Dealer and they informed me that I need a throttle body and injector cleaning. This was done and now the rough seems to be worst & noticable. Is this a common problem with the 99 Sierra and is there a TSB? By the way my truck has a 105,000 miles on it and runs fine.
  • Long or hard starting problems. Chugs/rough idle until you first give it the gas then idles ok. This happens most of the time but not always. I have 2000, 5.3, 50,000 miles now. Seems to be getting worst with time. Is this injector clogging problems, fuel pressure regulator problem or fuel pump problem? Any ideas?

Engine seems to rattle/ping under light acceleration or constant highway speed with normal engine warmed.
This discussion has been closed.