Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

GMC Sierra: Problems & Solutions

Comments

• my service 4WD light comes on intermittently. My truck is a 99, problem seems to be the selector switch on dash. each position has a resistor that allows different voltage signal to transfer case module. Bad info from a chilton manual told me to change the front diff actuator. we'll see if they reply to my letter because I cant return a electrical item to the dealer so I installed it anyway. I agree, GM needs to fix the theory behind the application instead of each occurence.
  • I'll have to look at my old records as that may have been the same fix as mine.

Common sense would say that GM, as the largest auto mfr in the world, would have a 1st rate quality control organization that would examine the root cause of failures and fix them.

Yet if you look at the poor reliability of many of their products in Consumer Reports, you can only shake your head in bewilderment. And its the same problems year after year.

There is only one reason that GM does not have the most reliable and highest quality car or truck in the world, and that is poor management.
  • We have a 2002 Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD Duramax Diesel and just got it back from the dealer for the same problem. It has 90,000 miles and we noticed a leak that we thought was coming from the rear diff. After inspection at the dealer they said that a pump in the transfer case had failed and wore a small hole in the transfer case housing. There is a small spring on one ear of the pump that broke and allowed the pump to wear a hole in the housing. Sounds like a bad design to me. The dealer said that it had probably lost all the fluid within the first 5 miles that we drove it and caused all the bearings to freeze up on the shafts and had to replace the entire transfer case. To make matters worse, we had to wait 4 weeks for the transfer case because they are on national backorder and the manufacturer is having to find cores and rebuild them. We think that there is a huge problem with these transfer cases and GM is not letting anyone know. We would like to hear from anyone who has had this same problem. If we can get enough proof maybe some of us can get some reimbursement.
  • alf2alf2 Posts: 1
    I know this is a reply to a very old question, but I've just bought a '99 Sierra and found the same clunk, thud or squawk (whatever you want to call it) coming from the rear end when I come to a complete stop and then again when I take my foot off the brake and start to accelerate. Did you ever find a solution to this? Thanks in advance.
  • darbodarbo Posts: 1
    Temp controler will turn heat up or on but will not lower the temp or turn off. It will sometimes reset to the cold or off position after the ignition is turned off then engine restarted. Any ideas what the culprit might be? Control switch, electrical or maybe control motor? Any help appreciated.
    2001 Gmc Sierra
  • mikec8mikec8 Posts: 16
    97 Z71, 4WD....Just before I stop, the front ABS makes a roaring sound, the pedal gets hard and kind of feels jerky. The truck doesn't feel like it will stop in time. If I press hard or quickly pump, I can get it to stop. It's intermittent and scary. Is this a simple fix like cleaning something or am I in for major work?
  • 2theedge2theedge Posts: 3
    I just bought a 2005 gmc sierra with the 5.3 l. It was a 4 door, 1500. Today, it caught on fire and burned almost completely up. The fire marshall seemed to think that it was caused by an electrical short somewhere in the dash. What would you do and has anyone else had a similar problem.
  • reconrecon Posts: 1
    I have a 2000 GMC Sierra 1500 with the 5.3 liter V8 and 39,000 miles on it. Found out last week that the head gasket on the passenger side of the motor has failed. I was wondering if any other Sierra owners have had a similar problem?
  • Call GMC customer service and file a complaint. They will perform their own inspection and if they determine the "thermal event" was due to a defect, GM will repurchase the vehicle from you. I went through this process over a year ago for a different GM model.
  • 2theedge2theedge Posts: 3
    I did and so far no response back. What if they determine otherwise. I mean I know how they try to get out of trying to help out the little man. I have my insurance company involved for the rental. What happened in your case. Thanks
  • One of the trucks in my company's fleet caught on fire last year. I was actually surprised with how it all turned out. Like you, I was expecting them to deny my claim.

It was not a fast process. In summary, after I had called in my complaint to GM, I had to have it moved to a dealer. An inspector for GM came out to inspect it. They decided to repurchase it. Filled out the paperwork and got a check.

Again, this was not a fast process. If I remember correctly it took over a month and there were a lot of phone calls involved. Each step of the way I had to speak with a different person and different department within GM. Another colleague of mine had a similar experience with a Ford.

I did have to wait a few days before getting the initial call back. They should have given you a reference or claim number. I had to call about once a week for a status update.

You may want to ask your insurance adjuster if they have any advice or tips for you. Good luck and let us know how it all turns out.
  • carl442carl442 Posts: 1
    saw mssg. 961 and was wondering if anyone knows why abs kicks in at low speed on dry road and what the fix might be.
    thanx carl442
  • KCRamKCRam Mt. Arlington NJPosts: 3,516
    ABS responds to pedal pressure and the impending lockup of a brake. If you're hard on the whoa pedal in an empty pickup, you can invoke ABS at almost any speed - the unloaded rear end of an empty bed will get to near-lockup much sooner than a balalnced or loaded rear end.

kcram
    Host - Wagons

Need help navigating? kcram@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• shiftlessshiftless Posts: 40
    Contaminated ABS front wheel sensors will also cause the ABS system to activate at low speeds (just prior to a stop).
  • ron15ron15 Posts: 2
    My 98 Sierra driver side door seems to be out of adjustment. When I open the door it rubs on the door post. It's actually worn the post flat on the top. I tried moving the post, but when I loosened it, it wouldn't really move in any direction. Any ideas?
  • mikec8mikec8 Posts: 16
    When you say contaminated, what does it take to fix that. Is it as simple as cleaning the sensors or do they have to be replaced?
  • bigfurbigfur Posts: 649
    Loosen the bolts on the front of the door and try to adjust it SLIGHTY that way. Wont take much to adjust it, but if you get it way out of adjustment, its a pain to get it back.
  • surrfurtomsurrfurtom Posts: 124
    Also try putting a floor jack with a wood board under the door edge at the outside latch / handle side. Jack it up putting pressure on it until it puts it back in position. Doesn't take much pressure to put it back in position.
  • chad1978chad1978 Posts: 2
    hi i have the security light in my 2001 gmc sierra 2500hd i have only got air cruise and tilt will this action still work for my truck or is there another way to get rid of it
  • chad1978chad1978 Posts: 2
    i have an engine misfire problem i changed out the wires and put in new plugs so only thing it could be is the coil is there any way other than spendin 85 bucks to have it in the shop hooked to a computer to find out wich cyclinder is not working?
This discussion has been closed.