Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

GMC Sierra: Problems & Solutions

Comments

• iltskiiltski Posts: 2
    Hi, I just bought a 2002 GMC Sieraa 1500 4x4 that often produces a drive train clunk/clang when accelerating from a complete stop. I assume that the transfer case has a worn or stretched chain. Did you determine what caused or is causing your problem?
    Mike
  • iltskiiltski Posts: 2
    Had a similar problem with a 2000 Astro (4.3) as some days it would start and other days it would not. After replacing various electrical parts including the coil and checking the fuel pressure (was OK) I changed the distributor rotor and also cleaned the cap then sprayed both the inside and outside of the cap with silicone and the starting problem was gone.
  • gmctruckgmctruck Posts: 186
    Make sure the emergency brake pedal is fully released. If you drive the truck with the "E" brake on, it will beep. Your "E" brake pedal might not be pressed down enough to turn on the brake light, but it could be pressed down enough to where the computer thinks the "E" brake is on. That's all I can think of that would cause a beep while moving. I also have a '99 1500. The only time I've ever heard a beep while moving is when I had forgot to release the "E" brake. :blush:
    This is a very common trait with the GM NBS trucks. There are several things that can cause this. Your truck should already have the newer nickel plated yoke which was one fix. But sometimes the driveshaft had to be removed to grease the splines. In some cases, that was a short term fix and the clunk returned. Do a google search and you should have no problems finding lots of information. I thought GM would have fixed the clunk by now, but I guess not. My '99 does it too, but only under certain conditions. :sick:
  • duramax1duramax1 Posts: 3
    The truck is only 6 days old and already my fuel gauge reads MT when the tank is full. The low fuel light is on also. I know it is on warranty but I don't have time to bring the truck into the dealer. Does anyone have a known fix for this problem that I can do???
    Take it back and tell them you need a loaner while your new truck is being repaired. How much time does it take to drive to the dealer compared to the time you will spend trying to fix it yourself. They might have to drop the fuel tank... do you have time to do that yourself? Take it back and let it be the dealers problem. You paid for the warranty... use it! :)
  • my 2004 sierra does it to.had it fixed at dealer (replaced some internal module)but it happened again last week.GOING BACK TO DEALER AGAthe clunking they say is normal.I DONT THINK SO!!!!
    My personal mech.says its something to do with the tranny or drive train
  • duramax1duramax1 Posts: 3
    Thank you for the info. I will make an appointment and get the gauge checked out by the dealer. :D
  • mike157mike157 Posts: 1
    Same problem here. 2001 GMC 2500HD w/8.1L engine, 65,000 miles and the transfer case is leaking. It is at dealer now. They state that a spring broke and bored a hole in the case. I have the extended warranty, but they had to call the "insurance Adjuster" ? to grant the claim. Will let you know what happens if you are interested. The truck has never been abused, and serviced per factory specs.
  • lee23lee23 Posts: 2
    My '99 GMC Sierra's air conditioner and passenger side window will stop operating sometimes. It seems to be induced by a bump in the road, or if I just go to turn it on it won't work right away. and then a ways down the road it will finally start working again. Please help!
    Check for loose or bad ground wire connections. The AC and windows should be on different circuits, so a bad ground connection is one of the few things that could affect both at the same time. Loose ground wires are a common problem on GM vehicles. I can't tell you where they are located for sure, but look around on the back of the firewall. Your "bump in the road" description would indicate a bad or loose connection some where. I also have a '99 Sierra, but have not seen this problem on mine... (knock on wood).
  • boozerboozer Posts: 3
    Ihave the simular problem whit my 2003 sierra but it pulls to the left makes it difficult to keep strait especialy in windy days ...or/ and at hyw speed. brought it to the dealership numberous times to have them tell me that they cant duplicate the problem. one dealership did noticed it and couldn`t find a fix...then told me that it was normal caracteristic of the truck. wow hein! gm sells trucks that swerve all over the road...and to think that they say that there professional grade.
    since new it has had problems on just about every powertrain components,change some part in the transmission. later changed the transmission; had to fight for this to happen until itgot to the point that the transmission would slip when engaging the passing guear. And even at that point they were checking for abuse of any kind just to try to make me pay the bill.
    diff was worked on,tranfercase, 4x4 modual, drive shaft,brakes, brake booster, steering shaft,reprogram the computer x number of times and still today it drives like a geman tank. what a :lemon: what i noticed was that everytime they reprogram the transmission it drove like on a cloud...whit no pull.
    I think from my experiance that gm has computer problems (some glitch in the computer) becouse the shifting problem or the pull goes away sometimes after turning the key off and starting it again as I`m driving in nutral :sick:
  • onefbionefbi Posts: 1
    I have a 1999 Z71 1500 5.3 engine. I have problems starting it, usually taking 2 or 3 times to start and trouble shifting gears. However I took the pressure regulator off and put it back on and the truck ran O.K. for a little while.
    Has anyone had these problems?? :sick:
  • :mad: just got my truck back after 3 days in shop.yep NOTHING GOT FIXED.FREAKING GM DEALER.THEY REPLACED TRNSFER CASE MODULE
    MADE IT WORSE(NICE JOB).CLUNKING, THEY COULDN'T HEAR(SHOCKER).ITS THERE TRUST ME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!.
    KNOCKING IN MOTOR WHEN COLD, NORMAL THEY SAID.
    I SHOWED TSB(TECH. SERVICE BULLITEN)TO THEM, STILL DIDNT FIX THE PROBLEM.(OIL SCREEN O-RING IS BAD)
    SO MUCH FOR PROFESS. GRADE TRUCKS I THINK THERE GRADE SOULD BE AN FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF. :mad:
    "I was wondering if anyone has heard a gurgling sound/ rattle coming from the dash area(passenger side more). It only occurs when truck is under load in 1st, 2nd, 3rd gear, you don't hear it in overdrive."

If the sound is coming from the center area of the dash, you might have an air pocket in the heater core. You can easily fix this by doing a "purge" procedure on the cooling system and the gurgling sound should go away. I have a '99 Sierra and this procedure worked for me. I just copied this from another forum and take no credit or responsibility for it's content or creation. The procedure does work if the gurgling noise is coming from the heater core.

Here ya go:

Get a jug of DEXCOOL (Havoline brand is GM approved).
    Park on level ground.

The engine needs to be cool, or just slightly warm is fine too.

Add fluid in the surge tank until the level is slightly above the split line on the tank (an inch or so).

Put cap back on loosely, don't allow it to build pressure.

Start engine and let it idle for a minute.

Then, cycle the engine from idle to 3000rpm in 30 second intervals until the engine coolant reaches operating temp and the thermostat opens.

Shut off engine and remove the cap.

Start engine and let it idle for a minute. Fill the tank to 1/2 inch above the "Cold Full" mark on the tank & put cap back on loosely.

Cycle the engine like before and wait for the thermostat to open again, then shut off the engine.

Put more fluid in if necessary, the fluid should be a half-inch or so above the Cold Full mark.
    Sorry to hear you're still having problems. The best advice I can give you is to call GM Customer Assistance and open a case file. This is important because it creates a formal record regarding your complaint which may be critical if you exercise your rights under the lemon laws of your state. GM Customer Assistance will also work with you and the dealer to help resolve the problems. You can go to another dealer... all service departments are not created equal. Some service departments get offensive when you pull out a TSB because they feel as if you're telling them how to do their job. Other service departments appreciate it when you show them a TSB because they don't have to spend time looking up the TSB information and it saves them diagnostic time. I've had both experiences!!

After going to three different dealers, I found one that took care of all the problems my truck had in one visit without giving me any hassle or run-around. Guess which dealer gets my service business now? I know that all brands have their share of crappy dealer service departments, but I think this is one problem area that GM has failed to address that turns people away from buying GM products. All brands have their share of problems, but the actions taken by the manufacturer and the dealers to resolve those problems is what makes a difference. They can't just say "it's normal" and send you on your way. Make them show you a brand new truck on the lot with the same noise if it's "normal". If you were out of warranty, I'll bet they would find something wrong to generate service revenue and get money out of your pockets. Try another dealer if you're not happy with your current one. :lemon: Don't give up because that's what the "stealer" wants you to do!
  • Has anyone had problems with the transfer case starting to leak? I just bought my 2000 GMC Sierra 1500 4X4 a few months ago. It had 52530 miles on it. I got a 3 year/36000 mile warranty with it when I bought it. Anyways, has anyone had problems with the transfer case at all and does anyone know if a the GM Warranty would cover this?
    I have heard of some leaks caused by a bad seal, Since the transfer case is part of the drive train, I would imagine that the warranty would cover it. But those warranties have all kinds of fine print these days, so it's hard to say for sure. If there are any signs of past abuse by the PO, you could get stuck, but I doubt it since you haven't had the truck for very long.
  • One more question to my problem......When I go to 4HI or 4LO, it acts funny, but as long as I am in 2HI, it seems to drive alright. Is it safe to still drive as long as I stay in 2HI? If you have not noticed, I don't know to much about engines other than minor troubleshooting and minor maintenance, i.e. changing oil, alternators, coolant.
This discussion has been closed.