Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

GMC Sierra: Problems & Solutions

Comments

• My battery went down (due to lack of driving)on my 96 GMC Sierra 1500 so hooked up the battery charger. When I did the Code Alarm activated and the speedometer needle bounced around. Once I shut the alarm off the speedometer is stuck on 100 MHP. Any ideas?
  • take a look at this site for some good background on EVO
    http://forums.vmag.com/suvtahyuk0301/messages/5078.html
  • I purchased my 03 GMC Sierra 3500 mid December 2005 with 118,000 miles. It now has a little over 119,000 miles and now I have been told all injectors and the pump must be replaced. I was not being able to get it to start. One time it would, next time could not do anything to get it started. Do you have any reference I can go to regarding the extended warranty to approx. 180,000 miles. Dealership has told me this would be covered under warranty but now they are saying it will not and they can't get the GMC rep to do anything about it. Any help would be MOST appreciated.
  • My light has been on for awhile, I have has oversized 35" tires on my truck for years. Just recently, the light came on and stay on. The scanner was put on and it said that BOTH front wheel sensors were bad, after resetting in park and engine off, the right one kicked the light on immediately. Does anybody have any ideas on how to repair? I have been getting 2 stories about the sensors that they clip into the hub and the other that they are attached to the wheel hub and must be purchased as a whole unit. Help me out guys!!!!
  • I have a 2004 GMC Sierra 4x4 with only 7,000 miles on it. Just after 6,000 miles, it began to show a really bad vibration/shudder when the brakes are applied. I brought it to the dealer who of course could find nothing wrong (typical excuse). Now when I lightly apply the brakes, the truck begins to shudder and it seems like 30 mph and under is the worst. It begins to shake and it gets so bad that that I can actually hear a knocking sound! It is an awful sound. I am not 100% sure that it could be warped rotors......and I would almost think it could be ABS, but no lights come on. The truck did sit in a garage for some time, like 5-6 months and there was some rust build up on the rotors that has since worn away and they are shiny. Can anyone offer some help on this, it must be fixed!
    Thanks! :mad:
  • p100p100 Posts: 1,116
    Do you wash your truck at car washes and apply liquid wax? Or use products like ZipCar wash in a bucket of water and handwash the truck? If wax gets on the brake rotors, it will contaminate the pads and possibly cause horrible griding and screeching noise when brakes are lightly applied. I had something like this happen with a passenger car. The solution was cleaning the rotors with acetone, and lightly sanding them by hand with 100 grit sandpaper to remove the glaze. Also, I replaced the brake pads and made sure that the caliper sliding pins were lubricated and sliding freely. This solved the problem for good.

Rotors can get warped by uneven lug nut tightening with an air impact gun (unless they use a torque extension with it). Did you have your tires rotated and did they use an air gun on your lug nuts to tighten them? However, warped rotors usually cause pulsation it the brake pedal and chatter when braking hard at high speeds. Brake chatter at low speeds under light braking conditions can also be caused by sticking cliper sliding pins.
  • I have a 2005 GMC Sierra 1500 4wd, just recentley installed K & N cold intake kit and then programmed with Hypertech programmer, while programming a dtc(diagnostic trouble code) came up (B0229) Is there a web site where i can go to to check what this code is? Truck runs great, and there is no check engine light on.

Thanks barry
  • noobie1noobie1 Posts: 326
    Barry;
    I know of no site where they're listed. Maybe someone else does.
    DTC B0229 relates to HVAC Recirculation Door Position. Whether it's induced by your programmer or is just one of those maddening coincidences is anyone's guess; since both PCM and HVAC Control Module involve 'memory' it may not be coincidence. If your recirculation controls are working properly I'd clear the DTC and not worry about it unless it recurs.
    If your controls are not working properly you may need recalibration or some other action which means a trip to the dealer, (after restoring factory program).

-David
  • Thanks David, I did find a site where you can enter codes, It is very helpful for anyone. www.obdii.com
  • I on occasion use the car wash, put never use the wax feature, just the regular soap, then rinse. When washing at home, I have many times used ZipWax car wash, but I never would think that I could have gotten enough on the brake rotors to make a difference. As far as the tire rotation, I do the work myself and installed the newly rotated tires by hand with a torque wrench per the specs in the manual. I had read somewhere online that if a vehicle sits for a while, like mine had, and the rotors get the chance to rust, that when you use them again some of the rust on the rotor could transfer onto the pad and cause a pulsation? I never really had any problems like this in the past with other trucks......not with this few miles on them. I am concerned that it is a ABS issue, possibly rusty sensors or something?
    Dave
  • jnealjneal Posts: 247
    If your dealer can't/won't fix the problem I would try another dealer. If you don't have any luck with that one then go for the manufacturers rep.
    What you are describing sounds to me like a problem with the ABS system. Either way it is a warranty issue and should be addressed by the dealer.
  • mikec8mikec8 Posts: 16
    Regarding the 97 Sierra steering problem (& EVO): Thanks for all the help. The cumulation of the articles gave me enough info to act on. I sure appreciate the assist.....Mike
  • Hi, new member here! I have a 93 GMC sierra 1500. I just put a new crate engine in the beast and thought with new sensors that the SES light would go out! (That wasn't the only problem with the old engine-long story). I still get a code 43! That's the anti-knock sensor. It's a brand new one! Will it hurt the truck to run it with that going on? Will there be any long-term damage? The mechanic I who put the motor in seems to be avoiding me about this problem. any help would be appreciated. :cry:
  • gmc1500gmc1500 Posts: 1
    My 2006 four door 1500 GMC is at the dealership due to the right side door windows not working. I'm told the problems maybe in the multiplex wiring.

When did GM begin using Multiplex wiring?

Has anyone else experienced this type of problem?
  • psmittypsmitty Posts: 2
    I have a 2000 GMC Sierra with the 5.3 engine--50,000 miles. Occasionally the truck will not accelerate. The engine rpm's will go to about 1800 and the truck will not accelerate past this point for a short period of time. There appears to be a backfiring type noise. I have replaced the fuel filter and the complete module in the fuel tank. The engine runs fine if you are in park--no hesitations through the entire rpm range. This problem only occurs with the transmission engaged. No codes are showing up in the computer. Any help will be appreciated.
  • I have a 1994 GMC sierra 1500 that cuts out when idling but once I give it gas it is fine. I have replaced the fuel filter and it hasn't helped. When it starts to cut out the brake light on the dash lights up, is this significant? Someone told me that it could possibly be something in my gas tank causing the problem, is that something I should get checked? I also changed the plugs and wires in case it was a faulty plug causing the problem. If anyone has an idea of what I should do next please let me know. Thanks!
  • kawijgkawijg Posts: 1
    I own a 2005 gmc sierra, i was interested in adding homelink to my truck, i am tired of looking for the remote. Can i just purchase the overhead consul that contains the homelink buttons and replace mine with it. Is it the same electrical hookup, or do things go much deeper then that. Any help would be appreciated
  • nunzionunzio Posts: 1
    hi everbody.
    I just recently baught a 2006 GMC Sierra crew cab 5.3L. I am just wondering, if any of the problems from the past years such as 2003 on are still problems on the new 2006's. If so what are the problems and what should i be keeping an eye on. Any help would be appreciated. thanks
  • keefe1keefe1 Posts: 1
    I have a2005 GMC 1500 4x4 at 3800 to4000 thousand miles I started to have brake problems at 40 mph and up the dealer could not find it since that time it has been back 3 more times and each time they turn the front rotors and rear drums to me this is patch job I did not buy a used truck what can I do.
This discussion has been closed.