Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Jeep Grand Cherokee PCM Module Replacement

1234568»

Comments

• rgarmonrgarmon Posts: 9
    Hopefully you are still on this site. I have major problems with my 2001 JEEP Grand Cherokee. It first started a few months ago while driving, the JEEP would jolt as though it was trying to cut off. After a month of that it did start cutting off while driving and at stop signs/lights. I would have to put the car into neutral and restart- while driving!!! After about 2 months of this it would not start easily, or it would start and cut off within 10 seconds. After this it totally died and I had to replace the battery. So, after I replaced the battery the JEEP started, but still with the same problems listed above. Additionally, there are other things going on that I believe are related: the speedometer fluctuates up and down, the digital gas reading fluctuates- it will say 100 miles to empty then 0 miles to empty then 24 miles to empty and so on. Not sure if these are all related. Additionally, I had the altinator tested and it was 13.5 (kind of low).

The dealership ran diagnostics, but couldn't get a reading because they said "it would fix itself and no codes would come up."

Now they are telling me to replace the PCM. They want $900 total! I have already put so much into this JEEP to no avail. After reading some of these posts I am wondering if it may just be a coil? Please help. I need to know what questions to ask these jokers- like did they test for spark??? Please give me some ideas and maybe a list of questions to ask the dealer to see what they did to determine that it is the PCM.

Thanks!!!
  • rgarmonrgarmon Posts: 9
    Hi

Please tell me what sensor you had replaced???

Hopefully you are still on this site. I have major problems with my 2001 JEEP Grand Cherokee. It first started a few months ago while driving, the JEEP would jolt as though it was trying to cut off. After a month of that it did start cutting off while driving and at stop signs/lights. I would have to put the car into neutral and restart- while driving!!! After about 2 months of this it would not start easily, or it would start and cut off within 10 seconds. After this it totally died and I had to replace the battery. So, after I replaced the battery the JEEP started, but still with the same problems listed above. Additionally, there are other things going on that I believe are related: the speedometer fluctuates up and down, the digital gas reading fluctuates- it will say 100 miles to empty then 0 miles to empty then 24 miles to empty and so on. Not sure if these are all related. Additionally, I had the altinator tested and it was 13.5 (kind of low).

The dealership ran diagnostics, but couldn't get a reading because they said "it would fix itself and no codes would come up."

Now they are telling me to replace the PCM. They want $900 total! I have already put so much into this JEEP to no avail. After reading some of these posts I am wondering if it may just be a coil? Please help. I need to know what questions to ask these jokers- like did they test for spark??? Please give me some ideas and maybe a list of questions to ask the dealer to see what they did to determine that it is the PCM.

Thanks!!!
  • Stever@EdmundsStever@Edmunds YooperlandPosts: 38,910
    I'm here. But fortunately for you, lots of people with experience fixing Jeeps are here too. :)

Checking the battery connections everywhere, including the firewall or wherever they terminate may help. But I'm no mechanic.
  • grizz4grizz4 Posts: 1
    Bought a used ( around 53,000K) 2005 Jeep Grand Cherokeeoff at a lot, have just over a 100k on it now and had nothing but problems. Everything from hard downshift at around 40kmh (have had transmission flashed twice now), wiring failing to rear passenger side window, rear seal on driver side leaking and now the lights, dash and (rear included as are trailer plug) are flickering and acting "possesed". Very obvious this vehicle has many flaws that are common to all of this year and more...yet the buyer of them has to foot the bill instead of a "Great" north american vehicle manufacturer stepping up and admitting problems and fixing them as a responsible manufacturer should....warranty or not. For the money this vehicle was brand new on lot ( just over $45k) and only being 6 years old I am blown away by the "North American Heep" it is...is it any wonder why people buy import?? And I have spent thousands more on this vehicle then I did on my Mazda MPV (2003) which I retired only because I had put over 200k on it and the only thing other than regular maintenance (brakes, engine oil and transmission oil service) that needed done in that time was a repack of a front wheel hub! Sorry Chrysler/Jeep I will never buy another and I love telling people about my 2005 "Heep"!! If I detour one purchase of this vehicle I will be a much happier man...but honestly I think it may be more ;-)
  • my wife's jeep just suddenly wont start. has juice but no spark at coil replaced ignition coil and still no spark will replace module next after reading a lot of other problems i think its a short somewhere and bad pcm( whatever that is ) because we have speakers in the door that were installed after market and they hang on just by the wires and each one is different one is horizontal and the other vertical screwed in with drywall screws just want to know if that is a good answer to my problem (just need a little help(scottyac1@hotmail.com)
  • erm1974erm1974 Posts: 3
    the first part of your problem sounds like the crankshaft position sensor i was having the same problem and guess what..it's fairly easy to replace..the second check all the wiring on the drivers door for shorts for some reason when you short one of the wires on that door the gauges do that on most and check the relay under the drivers side dash over the fuse box it's not easy to get to but there are a few there and i'm not sure the correct on but a friend told me one of the relays go to the gauges and can cause that..good luck..hope anything helped..
  • erm1974erm1974 Posts: 3
    Hi Every one I could really use help.
    My jeep is turning over great but wont start. One day my Girlfriend went to start it and it turned over Ok but the cells in the batt were kinda shot and it just did not want to start. I knew the batt was going so I replaced with new one and it turn over great and I'm waiting for it to start and nothing just turning over great. I went through the Haynes check list and went step by step and the only thing that I seem to have wrong so far is the wire harness going to the coil rail when you turn the key on position but not try to start it charges the line to 12.8 volts and then dies right back to zero.. The book said it should stay at the 12 volts and if not check the auto shutdown relay well I have looked and I can not find it I thought it was on the engine fuse block and then under the steering wheel located over the fuse box and none of those relays seem to go to the coil rail wire harness. Oh and if it matters the alarm was not working correct right after the batt was changed but seems to be working fine now. If any one has dealt with this or knows what to do or has another good reason I should be looking at something else I would be grateful for any thoughts you had or pointers I just cant afford to throw more money into this jeep and it's still has a loan on it so I could really use some help. Even catch me at my email. I don't care at this point burnzallmedia2k5@yahoo.com subject Edmunds jeep help..Thanks every one..Will also check in here.
  • bhunleybhunley Posts: 3
    crank shaft sensor. i just had the same exact problem with mine. took forever to figure out because like yours it wasnt throwing off any codes
  • hey I hope this helps I had the same thing I feel you need to take the PCM out and send it to SIA to have it rebuilt they will find moisture in it and they will give it an update so the Jeep runs stronger Head office Florida and it will be sent to Tilden Ill. they did a great job for me the dealer I went to Demeyers in Simcoe ontario had no idea and charged me 900 bucks and I had to tow it home and fix it myself
  • nitronorm1nitronorm1 Posts: 2
    edited January 2012
    SIA Electronics Tilden Il. they will repair your PCM use google search engine later Nitro
  • if low on transmission fluid and an auto matic stalling will happen think not think again
  • pcm fuses in line links can but dont go unless bigger problem there is
  • Need help my jeep (better off as scrap) will crank but not turn over, sentry key light on, no gauges and not getting a code read. Last resort took to dealership paid the $85 they cant get a reading. They wanted to go further for $200 test wires (yeah right). That took whole 3 hours for them to tell me my pcm has internal failure should be putting out 5 volts but only putting out 1 volt. This would cost me $1500.0 minus the $85 woo-hoo thats $1415.00 pcm only $700. Last time I checked $700 for labor? I may be female but not stupid, so anyone have any suggestions please i'm all ears!
  • eugene639eugene639 Posts: 1
    edited June 2013
    Any suggestions? we all want to know. what fixed yours??? I find they are not all the same. they have different parts and systems. I go to the wrecking yard and see a bunch of really clean, well kept jeeps being torn apart and the pieces used. Some are all missing the same things. They have multiple modules. They intercommunicate. They are an AMC they have Dodge transmissions. there are GM p/s pumps FORD ignitions. Chrysler electronics. WHAT A MESS!!! How CAN it work???? They don't know. They cant write a book. Its full of errors. It's full of omissions. all you can do is goto your library and print the thing out. Then go back and print the updates. I have read all 150 plus entries of these discussions and time after time I say, HEY there's a TSB on that!!!! that's recalled!!!! or Jeep used to send us those at Ford when they couldn't fix them!!!! I suggest that each of you (if you care enough to spend parts money) print the MITCHELL repair info. If it doesn't make sense, look for the update pages under "dealer info" in the MITCHELL database. Then print up your TSB's and recalls that pertain. Go to your Jeep with well made tools. Follow as best you can, the steps in the testing procedures. Replace only parts that are failed. Get a handful of replacement parts at the wrecking yard. Try these when you get lost. Then, after you have questions that can be solved, ask your dealer service dept for help and direction. then, and only then , can you see why they aren't able to give a cheap and quick answer . Library info is free, I rely upon them for many answers. The cost is based on paper to print 10c a page. Whats that??? You dont have time??? Neither does the dealer, to do the required research. But, the money saved can be spent elsewhere. Instead of buying parts on a guess fix. I also received help by watching U-TUBE sensor testing for Jeep "Hall Effect"switches. It was a course led by a gifted teacher and videoed by his students . That lead to an understanding that is not available in any book. Thanks for reading. If you love your Jeep; you can make the time. They are all pieces of #$@%$#^&%$#. so don't feel bad
1234568»