Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Kia Optima Real World MPG

Comments

• mickeyrommickeyrom Posts: 936
    That is the answer cmh,lighten up on the gas pedal.Unfortunately,that has not helped me in town.Hwy is satisfactory,but city is only 14 or so.What is your secret?Maybe my trips are just too short resulting in a cold engine.
  • cmhj2000cmhj2000 Posts: 181
    Basically I'm not out to set any speed records. I'll let anyone beat me to the next red light. I get there when I get there. If it's not fast enough they can pass me.

City driving is soooooo subjective and can vary a vast amount. Here I don't get into much stop and go but traffic does bottle neck a lot during certain time periods.

Length or trip? Sure that also makes a big difference. My normal daily trip is about 13 miles one way, average speed 35-40 MPH.
    That explains it.Our city driving rarely exceeds 2 miles at a time and never faster than 35 MPH.I have never hit the 37 MPG yet,but just for fun,I'll post my more recent MP Gs.All have at least a little city driving. :shades:
    36.1 -- 29.2 -- 28.8
    33.9 -- 33.7
    20.8 -- 30.6
    35.1 -- 29.7
  • csandstecsandste Posts: 1,866
    Tank full including 100 mile road trip: 22.5 mpg
    100 mile road trip (coming back): 30.3 mpg (running about 70)

Not great for a four automatic, slightly worse than my v-6 malibu maxx, hopefully things will continue to improve after the car is totally broken in. (Only 5000 miles in 9 months).
  • Sounds like a head-wind.30 MPG isn't all that bad at 70 MPH.I believe the new EPA has the Kia rated at 31 or 32 on the highway.
  • I finally hit 40 MPG just this week.To be accurate it was 40.7.....just had to share that...Typically I get around 34 on straight hwy driving,so maybe I had a tail wind.Whatever...I'll take it :)
  • I get 25.5 MPG in mountain driving. So far that's not bad- I made a trip a while ago to the coast (Asheville to Wilmington, NC) and got approx 32 MPG all hwy and sustained 65 MPH with the cruise on. I thought that was pretty good considering that the car was originally rated at 20/27 or was it 19/27? either way it was pretty good. The new EPA figures are 18/26. I don't think I've ever had less than 22 MPG! My odometer is now at 61450 and it drives almost as good as it did when new. I'm completely satisfied with the car.
    Last July we made a trip from north of Philly to central No. Carolina. Our overall mileage on our 06.5 I4 W/Auto was 39, with about 1/2 of the driving on the Interstate.

These cars will do pretty good on the fuel budget if driven with some common sense and in good weather.
    That is pretty amazing..I've actually topped 40MPG on one fill up and 36 on another,but never as high as 39 for a whole trip.I drive the speed limit,so it's not me.Anyway,I'm quite satisfied with my highway fuel consumption.I pretty much can depend on 33-34 for any trip.Thats good enough. :)
    I too was surprised when I ran the fuel slips/mileage. In fact I even went so far as to verify the odometer against a known distance.

FWIW we did a second trip about 2 weeks ago and averaged 37. The only difference was the temperaters were about 25 degrees cooler this time, which would account for a bit more fuel useage plus there were 2 extra passengers and about 75# more luggage. The July trip temps were in the mid 90s.

I have our tires a bit over inflated, 38 front 32 rear. Did also run a small amount of moly substance in the oil during its' break-in and first 2 oil changes, which I've used over the years and has shown a small improvement.

I'm using Amsoil's 5W-20 XL oil, which I'll soon swap out for Amsoil's 0W-20 oil.

Other than that it's pure stock.
    I run my tires at 35...that was at the suggestion of a local tire dealer.Anyway,congrats on your excellent MPG.Is yours an auto?
    Ole fat fingers here had a typo. Our most recent trip with the extra luggage and 2 passengers averaged 35 MPG. not 37. Still happy either way.
  • csandstecsandste Posts: 1,866
    mixed, mostly local driving. The Optima, like my old Elantra, has an engine that slowly breaks in. Less than 6000 miles in eleven months. I put about 22,000 on my Malibu Maxx in the same time period.
  • CMH...I know this is a belated question,but why do you run 32-38 instead the same all aound.

PS Happy Thanksgiving to everyone.
    Because there's more weight on the front tires.

I've been staggering my tire pressure for 30+ years. Wherever the weight is the most, that's where the pressure is the highest.

Basically I try to have the "squat" in all 4 tires about the same. Have found this gives me very even tire wear.
  • I have owned many cars over the decades.From a 1950 Ford to my new KIA Optima.This is the first car that I have ever owned that has earned the admiration of strangers.Two people have told me how "beautiful" my black Optima was.It was a new experience,and kinda pleasant to hear.After all they were complimenting not only KIA but my taste as well. :blush: (just kidding)
  • Kia body designs rock! They really do...I took a look at the new world order Kia Optima but decided to go with the 2008 Mitsubishi Lancer GTS. The Lancer's body style has me mesmerized it's so cool.

But Kia outdoes Honda, Nissan, Subaru and Toyota in body designing. The Optima's design lines are clean and smart. Kia's and Hyundai's aren't "perfect" cars, crossovers and SUV's but they are right up there with the Japanese rigs in quality, reliability and better body designs.

You made a great choice. Drive your Optima proudly, man. Oh, yeah. The Kia Optima is priced so affordably as well, adding to it's great package overall.

2008 Mitsubishi Lancer GTS

• "new world order".....what does that mean? Is KIA taking over the world? :confuse:
  • you and I are just two of the people that know this....the answer is yes.

2008 Mitsubishi Lancer GTS