Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Toy, Model & Collectible Replica Cars

Comments

• Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright CaliforniaPosts: 45,990
    oh god yes...three of them. Of my entire car history, over all these years, including cars dragged out of wrecking yards, cars given to me, cars found abandoned, ....none...NONE...were worse than those 3 Saab turbos. Even the FIATS were better.

MODERATOR --Need help with anything? Click on my name!

• fintailfintail Posts: 34,338
    There appears to be several variants of 1:43 Saab Turbos out there...you should get a few :P
  • roadburnerroadburner Posts: 6,892
    edited January 2012
    To give you an idea of the display space needed for 1:43 cars, here's @1/3 of my collection on display in my old office:

And a couple of close ups; the larger cars are 1:43:

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport 1975 2002A 2007 Mazdaspeed 3 1999 Wrangler 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2009 328i Son's: 2004 X3 2.5

Wow that's a nicely thought out display.

I know this is probably blasphemous, but do I REALLY need to keep them in the boxes? I'd rather just have them out there naked.

edited January 2012
    Many modern 1:43 cars come with bases and covers. They can be removed easily. On modern items, I wouldn't sweat the boxes too much, or at most, fold them down and store them somewhere.

If you find anything vintage, be sure to keep the box, which is often worth as much as the model.
    Is "vintage" related to the age of the model (I presume). How would I know if something is "vintage"? I mean, when is "old" OLD in a model like this?

I look at anything made before around 1990 as being vintage, and worthy of saving the packaging. Chances are you'll have few or none of this age in your collection.
    Okay I'm going to sit down and make out a list of cars that I remember owning.

I think, to be fair, I will only include cars actually registered in my name, not the ones where I jumped the title.

A couple of them are going to be tough I bet. What are my chances of finding a 1:43 of a Subaru FF1 sedan? How about an Audi 100LS?

• boomchekboomchek Vancouver, BC, CanadaPosts: 5,108
    edited January 2012
    I think 1:43 is a good scale like others mentioned, but I think it would be easier and cheaper to find them in 1:64 scale although quality would not be as good obviously.

If you go 1:64 scale, you can find them made by many different brands including Hot Wheels, Matchbox, and Majorette and you can probably find them cheap too, but they won't have as big of a visual impact as larger models.

2007 BMW 328i Sports Pkg, 1993 Honda Accord EXR (my 33rd car).

Well that's a good thought. Accuracy is really not high on my agenda--it's more about 'body count" actually; nonetheless it would be nice to recognize the cars without having to pick them up.

About how long is a typical 1:64?

I'm guessing about 2.5 to 3 inches. If you find a 100 of them you can easily fit them on a couple shelves of a typical bookshelf cabinet.

Plsu most of the ones you have on that list I remember seeing them being made by Hot Wheels or Matchbox at one time or another.

Type in "your year make model" and "1:64 scale" on ebay and I bet you can find most of them like that.

I might even do a broader search, just to be safe - people list things on ebay strangely sometimes. Bad listings can also get you a better deal on sought after items. I'd just go to the diecast page and search by make and model, weeding out the junk from there.

I know Matchbox made a 1:64 MGA, introduced around 1958. One would be lucky to find a mint boxed example for under $100 though.
    I am certain there has been a model of the Audi made either recently or when the car was new...probably the Subaru too. There are diecast makers who don't concentrate on NA sales who make models of odd cars to sell in Asia or Europe.
    This is the top of my TV cabinet where the 1:43 and smaller cars live - there has to be at least 200 individual cars here, but most live in their boxes stacked sideways to optimize room and prevent box faces from fading. I mostly collect Matchbox made through around 1964 - which is not the cheapest thing to like - but they are not losing value either.

I like the Matchbox display stand you have. Pretty neat. :shades:

edited January 2012
    Those are cute items I ordered from England - the mint loose cars live there until I can find empty boxes for them. Empty boxes are an entire branch of Matchbox collecting - many bring $100++ even without a car.
  • steverstever Viva Las CrucesPosts: 41,972
    edited January 2012

Minivan fan. Feel free to message or email me - stever@edmunds.com.

• steverstever Viva Las CrucesPosts: 41,972

Minivan fan. Feel free to message or email me - stever@edmunds.com.

The Chinese are getting quick :shades:

I remember I had a New Bright remote control Fiero when I was a kid, it was pretty cool - working lights and I think horn too.
    It's a Camaro-ette! :P

New Bright's been around for so long? I thought they're a recent Chinese company making toys. :confuse:

I bought my son a New Bright Dodge Ram remote control truck,. quite huge actually. I enjoy playing with it too as it goes over anything!

Yep, they go back at least that long.

Here's the toy I had I think it was a cheapie thing - maybe $20 or so new, but the detail was pretty fantastic to me, and it's pretty big, too.
    The listing is down, what was it?

Scroll down half way, ebay shows old listings oddly. A New Bright Fiero, just like I once had.
    edited February 2013
    Lazy me, lol. Wow that is indeed detailed. Even the wheels look exactly the same as the real ones. Not bad for an old toy.

In Poland I always wanted this toy Fiat 124p, remote (by cable) controlled and quite detailed for a communist mid 80s toy.

edited February 2013
    Those are pretty cool. I have seen those cable remote cars before, big from European/Japanese makers in the 50s and 60s. Here's a nice fintail:

I have one like this, but in a nicer box. Should take some pics, it's pretty cool:

Yeah ands those were available in Poland in the 80s. I guess during communist time Eastern Europe was about 20 years behind in available toys/technology compared to the west.

When we moved to Italy I got my first remote control car, a Ferrari Testarossa that only went forward and turned left in reverse only.

60s style toy of a 60s style car. But the detail looks pretty sharp.

I remember those type of radio control cars, with the floppy antenna. I was really into radio control cars for a few years, I remember I had an elaborate Camaro my uncle bought in Japan, and of all things, a radio control Merkur that ate batteries.

Here's my cable controlled gullwing, probably worth a little:

Nice, where did you find this gem? Does it work?