Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Toy, Model & Collectible Replica Cars

Comments

• fintailfintail Posts: 33,806
    I got it when I was younger, my parents were hobbyist antique dealers when I was a kid, and they picked it up for me.

It actually does work - the lights even work, but I haven't ran it in maybe 20 years.
  • boomchekboomchek Vancouver, BC, CanadaPosts: 5,108
    Nice! I always get excited when I watch Pawn Stars or American Pickers and some cool vintage toys show up!

2007 BMW 328i Sports Pkg, 1993 Honda Accord EXR (my 33rd car).

• lemkolemko Posts: 15,189
    Here's a remote control toy Studebaker for uplanderguy!

I remember a nice Matchbox collection on the former. Too bad both are kind of set-up - I have no doubt the locations on "Pickers" are "salted" as those in the trade would call it.
    That's a pretty spectacular item - worth good money. Joustra is a French maker that was in business for decades.
  • steverstever Viva Las CrucesPosts: 40,851
    edited February 2013
    Lego Volkswagen T1 Camper Van.

The BBC notes that "Like most VW vans of its vintage, it does not operate under its own power."

Need help navigating? stever@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

I was at our local Lego store recently with my son and saw it for sale. Quite cool of a model but I think it's priced at over $100.

We ended up buying some other sets which I promptly built and played with as my son is only 3.5 years old. He likes Legos too but he's too young to build off instructions, so I get to have the fun of building stuff and reliving my childhood.

Actually most of the Legos we have are my sets I saved from the 80s when I was playing with them. I get to relive my childhood! :shades:

• Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright CaliforniaPosts: 45,050
    ". I get to relive my childhood!"

We've noticed! :shades:

MODERATOR --Need help with anything? Click on my name!

• roadburnerroadburner Posts: 6,574
    I get to relive my childhood!

That is one of the greatest blessings about having a son- building Aurora monster kits and Monogram hot rods, collecting die casts, watching old science fiction movies, going to the Indy 500... My wife said I have never had a second childhood because I never grew out of my first one... :P

2009 328i / 2004 X3 2.5/ 1995 318ti Club Sport/ 1975 2002A/ 2007 Mazdaspeed 3/ 1999 Wrangler/ 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica

I wish I had my old Legos, especially some of the general town sets, and the Technic go-kart. Alas, I have a younger brother, so they are pretty much all gone now. MIB 80s Lego sets are big collectibles now, so I won't be spending the fortune to get them back. I do get to indulge my toy car desires now and then anyway.
    My sister is on a model car kick; she haunts way too many antique stores. Her find today included a Corgi Isetta. No idea of the vintage. She's up to a dozen cars already. Unfortunately she's not online so it'll be a few months before I can see them or get pics.

Need help navigating? stever@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

Yeah the Technic go kart would be cool but they're like $500 if you can find them.

I noticed some of the prices are outrageous, small sets that would be priced at around $20 new today, are like $50-$80. Unfortunately I neither have the boxes or instructions. I have to download the instructions but can't get the boxes :(

That would probably be from the 60s. Antique stores can be hit and miss - sometimes bargains, sometimes insanely overpriced. The good money for 60s diecast is mint boxed items - the market has remained strong.
    I think that kart isn't too valuable now - under $100. It was a relatively basic set when new. I remember the steering the most - it was so complex and cool. The only Technic set I ever had - I preferred making buildings out of normal bricks.

You'll never find those boxes, just enjoy the toys. A few years ago I found a very basic set at a yard sale, 1989 (set 6591 - dragsters), mint in box, original price like $5. It brought $50 on ebay, I was pleased.
    edited February 2013
    Maybe you're referring to the small blue go kart. That one I had. I was thinking of the huge full size model pictured below with dual adjustable seats, working suspension, working pistons and a functioning gearebox.

I told her to look for boxes and buy those, even if they were empty. She wasn't too interested. She'll be gardening in another few weeks and this fad will be over then. :shades:

The Lego sets my brother and I played with in the early 1970s were downright primitive to what is now available. All they had back then were the basic bricks, a few windows and doors, wheels, tires, and gears.
  • roadburnerroadburner Posts: 6,574
    My son and I built a couple of these BMW Williams F1 cars:

There is a larger model that is even cooler:

2009 328i / 2004 X3 2.5/ 1995 318ti Club Sport/ 1975 2002A/ 2007 Mazdaspeed 3/ 1999 Wrangler/ 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica

Has anyone built an actual running full size car out of Legos?

I saw a show where they built an entire house out of Legos including furniture. The place leaked like a sieve.
    Probably the closest thing to a Lego car was an MG :)

• michaellnomichaellno Posts: 4,300
    I saw a show where they built an entire house out of Legos including furniture. The place leaked like a sieve.

I didn't see that episode, but wasn't that "James May's Toy Stories"?
    Yeah, the big one would have been a bit much, I was 9 or 10 years old. This is the one I had:

Emoty boxes are often worth more than the cars themselves. She could turn that into a profitable hobby, if she has luck finding any. And if she doesn't want them, she can give them to me :shades:
    edited February 2013
    Several years ago, I found a collection of those primitive early 70s sets:

I wasn't into it, so I sold them off - I think I got maybe $250 for the lot. The early boxes are really hard to find.
    I remember this one, but I had a smaller simpler blue one:

Cute. This is making me want to collect these.

I want to say my kit even had a simulated engine with a moving piston - the mechanical detail amazed my young eyes, but it was a chore to assemble.
    Yeah it looks like the red one had a functioning piston. That's cool. I'd splurge on one of the new Unimog Technic sets but they're $190 here and my wife wouldn't be very happy about it. :cry:

New sets are expensive, some of the fancy buildings are way up there too.

I have seen custom Lego builds of a fintail, W123, etc. My brother became obsessed with that several years ago, building military vehicles - but the fad passed.

Back in the 60s, Lego made HO scale plastic toy cars that were stored in little bricks. Here's a fintail: