Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Toy, Model & Collectible Replica Cars

Comments

• fintailfintail Posts: 32,907
    Yeah, I was thinking N or Z scale.

Old plastic HO scale cars are another big branch of collecting...the good ones are primarily from German firms like Wiking, Herpa, etc. I have a few HO scale cars - some 1960s cars from now-defunct EKO, and a Herpa MB W140.

Who makes the 600? I think Dinky made a good one back in the day, and maybe Solido has made one lately.
    Yeah, low survival rates on those. I had an old 1/32 slot car that I didn't really care for, so I put it on ebay...brought $30 or $40 I think. Not bad for a quarter at a yard sale.

My big find was 8 nice old redline Hot Wheels in an old carrying case at a yard sale. I paid $2 for them. I don't really care for Hot Wheels, so I just cleaned them a little and put them on ebay. I sold them individually, and the lot brought something like $350 total.

Some Matchbox bring decent money

Not bad for a little toy car

The really rare stuff easily brings several grand, but isn't often on the market.
    That is pretty cool. Reminds me of the furniture made from old car parts - the 57 Chevy rear end sofa, etc. I think most of that is fake though.
  • lemkolemko Posts: 15,071
    The 600 I have was manufactured more recently by Sun Star. I paid abourt $30 for it a few years ago.
  • Me and my roommate made a coffee table out of a GM H-body deck lid for our college apartment.

Worked great since it was only 30 or 40 bucks at the junk yard and flat as can be.
    Ah I see. I've kept away from most modern stuff...simply no place to put it. When I was a kid I loved the Burago cars though, and would get a free catalog from them each year. In 1995 or so I bought a Kyosho Supra, and the following year I bought a Revell 1:18 fintail...those were the last large moderns I bought. Right after I bought the W126 I bought a Minichamps 1:43 560SEL, a lovely little model.

Here's a Matchbox priced like a real car
    I didn't have that particular car, but I know my cousin did when we were kids. I wonder if he still has it?
    That car is worth so much because it is a rare color. The normal one is a green-gold, and is a $25 item in mint condition.

Here's a couple for you:

Tomy Seville

Tomy Fleetwood

They also made an ambulance based on the Fleetwood.

Tomy Continental

These were all sold in NA under the "Pocket Cars" brand.
    OK, I guess cuz didn't have a hidden gem somewhere in his toy chest. His was the more common green-gold car. Geeze, it's amazing what some collectors will pay for something just because it's an oddball color.

I love that Fleetwood! It appears to be of the pre-downsized 1976 model. I had a 1975 Cadillac Sedan DeVille which looks very similar to the '76 model.

A member of my Cadillac club has the last Cadillac ambulance which was based on the 1979 Cadillac chassis. I believe it was built by Miller-Meteor. I have a very nice 1:18 scale model of a 1959 Cadillac Superior ambulance.
    Yep, I believe that Fleetwood is one of the 75-76 models. They made it in a few colors too. I am sure you would like the ambulance as well.

I remember my brother had a poor larger scale model of a 59 Caddy ambulance...it was a toy from the old Ghostbusters cartoon lol
    Ecto-1? Yeah, it's a very bizzarely proportioned version of a '59 Caddy ambulance if it's the one I'm thinking of. I've always liked those Japanese tinplate toys of American cars. The proportions and details would be way-off, but they kind of remind me of a surrealist sculptor's take on auto design.
    Yep, Ecto. Hey, it was the 80s, can't expect too much from a toy aimed at 6 year olds.

Those old tinplate cars are almost works of art in their own way now, very interesting. Big bucks for some of them too...I'll have to sick to my tinplate fintail and smaller gullwing.
    ...an amusing detail of some tinplate cars from the 1930s and 1940s would be a picture of the driver's and passengers' faces on the windshield, profiles on the side windows, and backs of their heads on the rear window.
  • andys120andys120 Loudon NHPosts: 16,385
    Most of my little cars are 1/18th or 1/24th but I did save a couple of small scale Tyco slots including a Porsche 917K w Gulf livery and a Ferrari 512S. I think they're 1/64 scale.

I wish I had some of the others I used to have (Chapparals, Porsche 908s and the like).
  • derrado1derrado1 Posts: 194
    A relative bought me a Christmas gift off of eBay. I'm a little irked it hasn't come yet. It's a 1:16 diecast 1966 Oldsmobile Toronado, in this beige/bronze colour. If I were starting a real car collection (and, god willing, I will some day), a '67 Toronado would be on my list, but it differs from the '66 in only a few minor ways. Anyway, I picked this out and the only alternative for me was the same car, but in black. I don't think black does the Toro justice.
    I have a little German tin car like that, but it's actually from the 60s, it's a little Opel coupe.
    ...are the plastic dealer promos. However, most are psychotically expensive I've seen plenty of these promos available at Carlisle, but I'm unwilling to pay $300-$400 for what is essentially a nicely detailed monochrome plastic toy. Those that I can "afford" are damaged or warped - that is if you call $90-$100 affordable.
  • andys120andys120 Loudon NHPosts: 16,385
    Back in the day I had some of those 1/24 (or was it 1/25th) dealer promos including (get this) a '64 Mustang notchback. :cry: :cry:
    I have 2 of those - a 62 T-Bird and a 63 Galaxie convertible.

I have had a couple more over the years...I had a 49 Ford, but when I was in school and shunning such collections, I sold it! That was an odd one, it had mirrored windows. And I had a 62 Galaxie that I found at a yard sale, which had smashed windshield pillars. I sold it on ebay for $25.
  • odie6lodie6l Hershey, PaPosts: 1,078
    My collection is so large it would probably take me 2 days to type all the cars up onto a list to post it. Plus not to mention most of them are packed away for our move to a new house.

I have (the jest of it);
    1. Every Matchbox Car set (#'s 1-75) from 1970 thru 2004
    2. Almost every car & truck the Franklin Mint made from 1989 thru 1996 (I use to work for the Franklin Mint and got most cars at their employee truck sale for $3-$5 each)
    3. A HUGE Nascar Texaco Havoline Die-cast collection (about 150 cars), plus every Texaco Airplane
    4. Every Hess truck

If I every get around to taking most of them out of packing and setting up, I will try and take a picture and post it on my Carspace.

Odie
    Odie's Carspace