Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Toy, Model & Collectible Replica Cars

Comments

• fintailfintail Posts: 33,509
    Here's a link to the basic ebay diecast section, searches can be made from here

Most items you find will be new in box, 1:43 there will probably average $15-35 apiece. So, it will not be the cheapest collection, but will be insane when you are finished.
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright CaliforniaPosts: 44,419
    What's the approx length of a 1;43?

A 1:43 560SEL I have is roughly 4.5" long
  • roadburnerroadburner Posts: 6,301
    What fintail said; go with 1:43. I'd be extremely surprised if you couldn't find virtually all of your cars in that scale- although prices will vary wildly.
    In my opinion 1:43 scale is the "sweet spot" for collectors- small enough to keep a large collection manageable but still large enough to include a remarkable amount of detail(although I have a 1:87 Herpa BMW 7er with an opening hood and a remarkably detailed engine).

2009 328i / 2004 X3 2.5/ 1995 318ti Club Sport/ 1975 2002A/ 2007 Mazdaspeed 3/ 1999 Wrangler/ 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica

Hmmm....but 150 of those is going to take up a LOT of space :surprise: I was hoping that 1:43 would be about 2.5 inches long. That would be the ideal length for my small-ish house.

We're talkin' 56 feet of cars here!

You should park them at an angle, not sideways bumper to bumper. That way each car should only take about that 2.5".

150 cars is a considerable collection, and will require some good shelving too. Open up the wallet ;)
    Okay I have a shelf space 70" long by 12" deep...so you're good at this...how many 1:43 models do you think I could display (2 deep of course).

Should be easy - cars 2 deep, each car gets say around 2.75" - you could get about 50 cars on that shelf. 3 of those shelves would do the collection.
    don't forget, I need room to open the doors :P

Well 50 cars would be a good start--I don't have to build anything right away then. I know I've owned more than 50 cars but it might take me a while to remember them all---and there are a few that I might never wish to gaze upon again, even at 1:43...even a 43rd of the rage would be too much.

I'd think 50 cars would be a good start. A cabinet or shelf with sliding glass doors would probably be most efficient.

Here's a nice reliable :shades: Saab 900 Turbo in 1:43 to get you started, you had one of these, right?

oh god yes...three of them. Of my entire car history, over all these years, including cars dragged out of wrecking yards, cars given to me, cars found abandoned, ....none...NONE...were worse than those 3 Saab turbos. Even the FIATS were better.

There appears to be several variants of 1:43 Saab Turbos out there...you should get a few :P
  • roadburnerroadburner Posts: 6,301
    edited January 2012
    To give you an idea of the display space needed for 1:43 cars, here's @1/3 of my collection on display in my old office:

And a couple of close ups; the larger cars are 1:43:

2009 328i / 2004 X3 2.5/ 1995 318ti Club Sport/ 1975 2002A/ 2007 Mazdaspeed 3/ 1999 Wrangler/ 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica

Wow that's a nicely thought out display.

I know this is probably blasphemous, but do I REALLY need to keep them in the boxes? I'd rather just have them out there naked.

edited January 2012
    Many modern 1:43 cars come with bases and covers. They can be removed easily. On modern items, I wouldn't sweat the boxes too much, or at most, fold them down and store them somewhere.

If you find anything vintage, be sure to keep the box, which is often worth as much as the model.
    Is "vintage" related to the age of the model (I presume). How would I know if something is "vintage"? I mean, when is "old" OLD in a model like this?

I look at anything made before around 1990 as being vintage, and worthy of saving the packaging. Chances are you'll have few or none of this age in your collection.
    Okay I'm going to sit down and make out a list of cars that I remember owning.

I think, to be fair, I will only include cars actually registered in my name, not the ones where I jumped the title.

A couple of them are going to be tough I bet. What are my chances of finding a 1:43 of a Subaru FF1 sedan? How about an Audi 100LS?

• boomchekboomchek Vancouver, BC, CanadaPosts: 5,108
    edited January 2012
    I think 1:43 is a good scale like others mentioned, but I think it would be easier and cheaper to find them in 1:64 scale although quality would not be as good obviously.

If you go 1:64 scale, you can find them made by many different brands including Hot Wheels, Matchbox, and Majorette and you can probably find them cheap too, but they won't have as big of a visual impact as larger models.

2007 BMW 328i Sports Pkg, 1993 Honda Accord EXR (my 33rd car).

Well that's a good thought. Accuracy is really not high on my agenda--it's more about 'body count" actually; nonetheless it would be nice to recognize the cars without having to pick them up.

About how long is a typical 1:64?