Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Toy, Model & Collectible Replica Cars

Comments

• lemkolemko Posts: 15,071
    I saw a show where they built an entire house out of Legos including furniture. The place leaked like a sieve.
  • Probably the closest thing to a Lego car was an MG :)
  • michaellmichaell Posts: 4,300
    I saw a show where they built an entire house out of Legos including furniture. The place leaked like a sieve.

I didn't see that episode, but wasn't that "James May's Toy Stories"?
  • fintailfintail Posts: 32,914
    Yeah, the big one would have been a bit much, I was 9 or 10 years old. This is the one I had:

Emoty boxes are often worth more than the cars themselves. She could turn that into a profitable hobby, if she has luck finding any. And if she doesn't want them, she can give them to me :shades:
    edited February 2013
    Several years ago, I found a collection of those primitive early 70s sets:

I wasn't into it, so I sold them off - I think I got maybe $250 for the lot. The early boxes are really hard to find.
  • boomchekboomchek Vancouver, BC, CanadaPosts: 5,100
    I remember this one, but I had a smaller simpler blue one:

2007 BMW 328i Sports Pkg, 1993 Honda Accord EXR (my 33rd car).

Cute. This is making me want to collect these.

I want to say my kit even had a simulated engine with a moving piston - the mechanical detail amazed my young eyes, but it was a chore to assemble.
    Yeah it looks like the red one had a functioning piston. That's cool. I'd splurge on one of the new Unimog Technic sets but they're $190 here and my wife wouldn't be very happy about it. :cry:

New sets are expensive, some of the fancy buildings are way up there too.

I have seen custom Lego builds of a fintail, W123, etc. My brother became obsessed with that several years ago, building military vehicles - but the fad passed.

Back in the 60s, Lego made HO scale plastic toy cars that were stored in little bricks. Here's a fintail:

• Stever@EdmundsStever@Edmunds YooperlandPosts: 38,977
    Empty boxes are often worth more than the cars themselves.

I know, I know, tried to tell her that, but doubt if the message got through.

She got an "old" Jag the other day too (translation - beat up). She thinks she's going to paint it since most of the paint has flaked off. She's good friends with an antique dealer and knows better, but no one knows better than she does. :D

Ah, family. :shades:
    Selling old toys is profitable for some.

If the old model is really beat up, it is probably virtually worthless and no harm done in restoring/customizing it. Condition is key for old diecast, even a few chips can knock a lot off the value.
    That was it! It was filmed in the UK.
    I wonder if my collection of Danbury and Franklin Mint cars will be worth something someday? Most are in excellent condition. One older Franklin Mint model has bad paint that is cracked on the hood.
    They might hold their value - I think some of the earliest models have appreciated. But they probably won't be like 50s-60s vintage stuff, as it was meant to be collected and not played with. A 49 cent toy from 50 years ago can be worth hundreds today - whereas a $100 model from 20 years ago might still be worth $100.
  • andys120andys120 Loudon NHPosts: 16,395
    This is reposted from Mystery car Pix where it was posted in error [Doh!]

There are a number of impediments to collecting in the 1/18 Scale but it seems to be very popular. The choices and quality of replicas available have improved tremendously since the days when Bburago and Polistoy were the dominant makers.

I've got a sizeable collection of a couple of dozen sports, racing and classic cars in 1/18 scale and yes my wife does complain about me turning the house into a small scale parking garage.

My latest acquisition is this dandy 1948 Land Rover S1>

This miniature represents a very early LR and has some features that are odd even by Land Rover Standards including three abreast seating in the front.
    You can read more about it
    That's amazing looking. Funny, around 1955, Matchbox made a very similar model:

image - cute and tiny thing, scale must be around 1:75. The old Matchbox Land Rovers also have three-abreast seating detail.

I like some 1:18 cars - there are some lovely fintail and W126 models out there now. They just take up a lot of room, and can be pricey.

When I was a kid, I loved the Bburago models - but I actually played with them.
    Most of my 1:18 scale cars are being played by my 3 year old son. I'd buy a few of the better quality ones but no point as he'll want to play with them too, so I'll just resume collecting when my son gets older. Funny thing is he got quite a few for Christmas from friends and family and with the ones I gave him he has around 10 or so that he plays with.

• andys120andys120 Loudon NHPosts: 16,395
    edited February 2013
    Lucky kid, I had to make do with Dinky Toys which were around 1/43 scale.

I had fun with 'em, I had a Sunbeam Alpine, an MG Midget,a Rolls Silver Cloud a Lagonda and several others including some cool military trucks (including a Land Rover S1) and armoured cars. My love of Euro cars probably began with those Dinkys.
    Those Dinkys would be worth a pretty penny today, mint in box. I have a few period Dinky toys - had several military vehicles once, but sold them off.

The Bburago and others I played with are worth little today, even 25-30 years later. I could resurrect my childhood, but I guess I don't have the desire yet.

I definitely got some of my Euro car interest from toy cars, especially Matchbox and Majorette.