Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Toy, Model & Collectible Replica Cars

Comments

• uplanderguyuplanderguy Kent, OHPosts: 7,349
    Before that GMC Envoy was introduced, I was told by the Archivist at the Studebaker National Museum that GM had requested and paid for copies of blueprints of the Wagonaire's top. Seriously.
  • roadburnerroadburner Posts: 6,015
    I'd say I received my Playmobile sometime between 1962 and 1964.

2009 328i / 2004 X3 2.5/ 1995 318ti Club Sport/ 1975 2002A/ 2007 Mazdaspeed 3/ 1999 Wrangler/ 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica

• fintailfintail Posts: 32,907
    The Matchbox Wagonaire (42a) started production in 1965, and was made through 1968-69. It is from what I call the "mass market" years - when sales were huge, the cars were widely available, and they really became a household name. The castings became a little more detailed, but also standardized, with less variety. Due to high production, most models from this era are not hard to find even mint in box - the Studebaker can usually be had for around $35/boxed. The Lincoln can be had for similar money, the Pontiac sometimes a little more, but barely. There were also one or two other British made diecast Wagonaires, maybe the Brits took a liking to the design.

Some of the big value Matchbox are from the late 50s through about 1965, much more variation. It's models from that era that often get into the several hundred dollar range, and sometimes more.
    edited December 2013
    I have a Corgi Wagonaire also, with a TV cameraman in the back. I think I paid $15 or $20 for it at Hershey several years back. I bought a Matchbox Wagonaire on eBay a decade ago for ten or twelve bucks I think, but I didn't get the plastic hunter or dog that came with it originally.

Corgi:

http://billstudepage.homestead.com/files/huscam.jpg

Apparently UPI bought Wagonaires to film from the back of; hence the Corgi model.

http://i706.photobucket.com/albums/ww63/dstnkmp/1963%20Wagonaire%20Slideshow%20I- - I/cameras.jpg

The cars in the link are '63's; the Matchbox and Corgi Wagonaires are '64's or '65's.
  • Stever@EdmundsStever@Edmunds YooperlandPosts: 38,946
    Wonder if that's where Walt Disney really got his inspiration for Mickey Mouse.
    Yeah, really.
    I have over 200 boxed cars, but I don't have a Wagonaire - too new for me. I have very little made from 1965 onward, and what I do have was usually acquired by accident.

Corgi and Dinky made other Studebakers too, probably because they were exported to the UK, and the styling was modern.
  • lemkolemko Posts: 15,071
    I have these two:

• PFFlyer@EdmundsPFFlyer@Edmunds Pennsylvania Furnace, PAPosts: 5,808
    I still have some of my old slot cars from the 60's in a box in the attic. I had a Chapparal that my Dad and I reversed the chassis on to make it a front wheel drive. That also moved the motor and center of gravity WAY forward and made it corner like a demon. Also have a Corvair dragster that we rewound the motor on. Thing could not go around any kind of corner, but was built strictly for the drag races we had at the one hobby shop.

Ah, the golden age of slot cars!! I'll have to find them and post some photos

PFFlyer@Edmunds

Moderator - Hatchbacks & Hybrid Vehicles

• berriberri Posts: 4,000
    Nice. That bamboo roof look makes me think Kaiser though!
    edited December 2013
    I have the Golden Hawk and that is a really nice model I think, although I'm not crazy in general with Golden Hawks. They used it to make a nice (OK, relative term) bright blue Packard Hawk model; wish they'd do the same and do a Gran Turismo Hawk. OK, it still has DNA from the '53, but the Gran Turismo is my favorite Studebaker.

I also have the gold supercharged Avanti Franklin Mint car, but I wish I had the turquoise one they released later.

A little off the subject, but I remember seeing a Franklin Mint light green '61 Ford Country Squire, with a picnic basket and brighly colored beach ball in the back, at a store near here that used to sell them. Very neat.

I'm not familiar with that 'Bullet Nose' model; looks very nice. My brother-in-law has a real nice yellow '49 Champion Convert, real car, that won its class at our regional show near here a few months back.
  • Stever@EdmundsStever@Edmunds YooperlandPosts: 38,946
    Look at These Amazing Exploded Views of Classic Sports Cars

Neat pics - you can view the gallery in real life if you head over to Switzerland.
  • writerwriter Posts: 116
    Ok, I just found out about this. Now that I am posting it, I guess everybody is going say "gee, where have you been? Of course we all knew about it."

Fine. It's new to me.
    :-)

Miniatur Wunderland Hamburg
    I've heard of it but never been there. I love things like that though.

There's a huge model railroad layout at the Swiss Transport Museum in Luzern that I have visited - here's something I zoomed in on, an HO scale crash involving a MB W111 coupe (coupe version of my car):

Oh, today I stopped at a Wally World (bought something Made in USA there, shocking), and noticed the entire Matchbox stock was depleted, not a single car on the pegs. Hot Wheels was sparse, too. Toy cars might still be selling.
    Speaking of what I call "golden age" Matchbox, this set recently ended on ebay. A little out of my price range, but what a cool set. This was probably made in 1962.
    After a lot of poking around I found out that the Hamburg MW is done in 1/87th scale. I am not sure how strict they are. I am guessing that it is fairly strict 1/87th since they are so big that they might want to be able to swap around pieces between display areas.
    edited December 2013
    I'd bet it is very strict. HO scale is definitely dominant in Germany - toy shops still have large train + accessory sections there, often the lineup of HO scale cars and trucks will fill most of a wall. There's an amazing variety of vehicles.

Here's a finely detailed 1:87 fintail I bought in Germany:

• berriberri Posts: 4,000
    So did MB actually produce cars in that pea soup green? To each their own, but something I'd more expect as a one year Ford color (always seemed to me that Fomoco can really put out an odd one sometimes).
    Maybe not exactly, But fintails could be had in a wide variety of colors

That green color does scream "1971" to me.
    I looked through the color patches. The closest appears to be DB824 "Sea Green". What is going on with the water over there?
    :-)