Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Toy, Model & Collectible Replica Cars

Comments

• berriberri Posts: 4,004
    I like that greaser with the wrap around shades in the driver's seat :-)
  • fintailfintail Posts: 32,914
    Cool. Looks like a new item, 1:32 scale?

Revell has a couple fintail slot cars in that scale:

• lemkolemko Posts: 15,071

Tonka used to make pretty nice Jeep pickup and Wagoneer toys. I had a Tonka car carrier that held about five of these:

edited December 2013

Matchbox had a lovely casting of a Jeep pickup, introduced late 1964 I think:

• berriberri Posts: 4,004

I always liked the old Jeep and Willy's FC pick-ups. very different looking - both of them for their time. When I was a kid you'd frequently see either of these with a snow plow at a gas station or mall. (of course that Matchbox is a newer version which I didn't like as much as the older ones - but I wonder if it's more modern looks improved sales?)

• uplanderguyuplanderguy Kent, OHPosts: 7,360

I remember that that era of Jeep pickup was called 'Gladiator'. I like them because they're different. Concerning the Jeep FC pickup--I remember a school bus yellow one that could drive on railroad tracks, always parked outside our Erie Lackawanna train station in little Greenville, PA. Also, the former Jeep dealer in our town had dementia and lived in the same assisted-living place my mother did. I mentioned to him in passing that I liked the forward-control models and right away, he said, "FC, yes" and it was like that rang a bell for him.

Slick Fisher-Price station wagon:

Cute. Before my time, but I can see the charm. Some F-P toys have collectible value, especially if in the original box.

Speaking of boxes, I want this - but wouldn't pay nearly that much for it.

@lemko said: Slick Fisher-Price station wagon:

edited January 20

I recently got this Matchbox W111 220SE (fintail coupe) in a lucky buy it now auction:

I have a couple of these already, but none this nice or in as good a box, or in this dark color (others are more red). The scale of this is quite small, I would estimate around 1:70 or so. With that color and silver wheels, was probably produced in 1963.

Speaking of small scale model cars from the old car thread, I have 7 of these tiny fintails. I am not sure what scale they are, but they are small - the black fintail is HO scale, and it towers over the smaller one.

• texasestexases Posts: 5,424
    edited January 21

Looks like it's about half HO, or half half O... So if HO is 1:87, it's something like 1:175.

Maybe close to N scale, 1:148. Measure its length and divide it into your fin's length, that'll give you the actual scale.

Looks like it might be N, yep

For a buck, I might get a few more.

@texases said: Maybe close to N scale, 1:148. Measure its length and divide it into your fin's length, that'll give you the actual scale.

@fintail said: Speaking of small scale model cars from the old car thread, I have 7 of these tiny fintails. I am not sure what scale they are, but they are small - the black fintail is HO scale, and it towers over the smaller one.

Now all you need is a couple more of those HO scale fintails along with an HO scale Aston-Martin DB5 and you can recreate the chase scene from Goldfinger on you train set! :P

edited January 22

That would be cool, but IIRC the Goldfinger cars were Pontons. MBs were the usually the bad guy cars in cold war era movies though, fintails in some of them.

Notable fintail in a Bond film was the car driven by Telly Savalas' gang in "On Her Majesty's Secret Service", which gets tangled up in an ice race after a nice chase, gets rolled gently, and of course catches fire:

Edit: looks like there's a model of it (there's a model of the Aston and Cougar also seen in OHMMSS)

@lemko said:

• Stever@EdmundsStever@Edmunds YooperlandPosts: 38,968

A bit off-topic but I want it.

I'd even visit a Ford dealer to play it. :-)

Edmunds, Ford Dealers First to Test-Drive 2015 Mustang. Pinball, That Is

• jordan40jordan40 farmersville, nyPosts: 109

i have tons of 1/18 scale model cars. and 1/24 scale cars

• uplanderguyuplanderguy Kent, OHPosts: 7,360

I wonder if those are actually the cars that go in the display, although I see they are numbered. I'm (pleasantly) surprised the Wagonaire is still in there, two years after there were no more Studebaker cars. I had the maroonish '64 Pontiac I see in the display.

edited February 11

I am pretty certain the cars are original to the display, they are all period correct. The Studebaker remained in production until around 1969, and the Pontiac through 1970-71, I think (it eventually became purple).

@uplanderguy said: I wonder if those are actually the cars that go in the display,