Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Ford Edge Lease Questions

Comments

• goateegoatee Posts: 51
    Can anyone help? First time trying to lease. 2008 Edge AWD Limited (yes I fell for the rear cargo cover option). Dealer says it will be here in early January sometime. Retail list price $34,600, Invoice as per Edmunds and kbb is $32,390. I am looking for a 36 month deal with either 12,000 or 15,000k mi/year. BTW -I live in Ohio if that makes any difference. Can put down two to three thousand - no trade. I am expecting payments in the high $300's. Can anyone help this novice?
  • To JLBRADSHAW

There is a Japanese saying that when translated to English says, "Always appear to cooperate."

When negotiating for a car, DO NOT alienate yourself from the salesman. manager, or dealership. It will make them want to work with you LESS. Do they want your business? ABSOLUTELY! Do they want to be called a--holes or treated disrespectfully? NO!

AND what they seem to hate most are internet know-it-alls so learn what you can but DON'T share your knowledge with them. Just negotiate with what you know.

NEVER talk about a trade-in until you have negotiated the price of your new car.

The key to negotiation (I am a professional REALTOR for 25 years) is to have it appear that everyone wins in a successful negotiation.

Therefore, insist on invoice pricing. I buy/lease a car about every 2 years, and I have NEVER (yes, NEVER) paid a penny over invoice. Sometimes you can tell them you're a member of a local Credit Union and can even get it for $100-$200 under invoice. Are you a BJs or Costco member? Mention that too.

Once you establish a price, then the key is the interest rate. From there, ask for a complete accounting of evry penny to look for the "fat" in their bottom line price.

Whatever you do, DO NOT burn your bridges behind you because you just may have to go back a dealer you walked away from if they have the only model you are looking for. That's a bad position to be in.

Hal
  • hardhawkhardhawk Posts: 702
    Ours was a special order, but that should not make a lot of difference. Find one you like, write down all the info from the window sticker then go home and find the invoice figure on Edmunds (don't forget to add advertising fees) then run the numbers yourself on the lease calculator to see if the deal you are getting comes close. You do have to get the residual and lease interest rate from the dealer, but you should be able to get that. Watch out as some dealers will try to "mark up" the interest rate for added profit. You can go to www.fordvehicles.com to search area dealer's inventories and even print window stickers on what is in stock. Then e-mail them and ask for a lease quote for the term & mileage you want. Ask them to provide all the numbers that I set out in my earlier post so you can run your own calculation. By dealing with the internet sales manager, you hopefully can cut out the on the floor sales person and some of his/her games. You can also ask what they have on order and due to come in soon. I agree with Hal in that you should be courteous and professional in your communication with them. You should also tell them that you are serious and ready to pull the trigger at the correct price point. By running your own calculation in advance, you can find out if your price expectation is reasonable.
  • Am I responsible for the Doc fee, Licensing, Title Fee, Tire Tax, Property taxes ? That is an extra 531.25.
  • ddeliseddelise Posts: 339
    Doc Fee - most dealers charge something or other. In Florida, the charge is normally $400-$700. In Virginia, DC area the charge is more like $100. At $100-$200 - I think it is fair for the service they provide of getting the plates, paperwork, etc. At $400-$700 - then I better really like the price being charged for the car.

The other fees to me appear to be state fees and are all legit - no negotiating. The dealer is collecting and passing on to the state.

Damon
    I paid a small doc fee, then all of my title, registration, and personal property tax. Those can vary by state and even county here in KS. All sounds legitimate to me.
  • Well since I am having a hard time getting anyone around Utah to get me a payment around 400. We decided to change courses. What do you think

2008 Ford Edge Limited AWD
    Black Clearcoat
    Loaded with everything

MSRP 38383.00
    Getting it at invoice of 36,819
    Residual of 51%
    Money Factor of 2.0
    15k miles
    36 months
    1800 rebate

Payment is quoted at 540.00/month

I know, a lot higher than the initial 400 I was wanting! HAHA We figure that if this is a good deal then we would get it because it is a lot more vehicle to me. What do you guys think?
    I used my lease calculation site using your numbers but with no sales tax input into the calculation. I also used $595 for the acquisition fee. You did not mention any other fees so I did not include those. The monthly number the calculator site come up with without any sales tax is $491.33. Where I live, the sales tax is 8.3% so that would add another $40.78 to the payment for a total of $532.11. That is pretty close to your $540 number. This dealer is being way more up front with you that the others, unless there is no sales tax in his calculation, then something is wrong. I just wish KS had the $1800 in rebates instead of only $1000, but those incentives do vary by area and I got mine last month so the amounts here may have changed. That Edge sounds beautiful. I love black cars and had it been me getting ours that is the color I would have had. The Creme Brulee will, however, be a lot easier to keep clean!
  • goatee - look at message 354. I leased a similarly priced 08 recently. Let me know if you need more detail.
    Thanks for the info - Seems like our deals should be similar. Tax in OH is 6.5% so maybe that will help also. I would expect payments somewhere close to yours. The only problem I have right now is that the vehicle won"t be in until after the current round of incentives expire so I really dont know what my bottom line will be. Right now, its invoice minus any rebates that may be available. I am looking for 3 yr 15,000 mile a year lease.
  • Tax here is 8%.... I'm not sure if I mentioned that I was able to take advantage of X-Plan pricing.. I work for an automotive supplier, so I was able to get that easily. I have since found that anyone can apply for an X-Plan PIN here: http://www.blueovalforums.com/forums/index.php?showforum=45
    Good Luck! It's a cool car, I'm quite happy with it so far.
  • Hi Hal. The "Ford Credit Owner Loyalty" program provides a $500 cash incentive to current Ford Credit lessees. The "Earlybird" program enables current Ford Credit lessees to get out of their vehicles up to two months early for free if they lease a new vehicle. The "AAA eCoupon" and "Partner Recognition Plus Private Offer" sound like direct mail or coupon programs that one has to have been physically mailed or e-mailed a certificate to qualify for.

Car_man
    Host
    Prices Paid: Buying & Leasing Experiences Forum
  • You're very welcome, hardhawk. Congratulations on getting your new Edge. Thanks for taking the time to stop back and share the details of your lease with everyone. Real world examples like this are always helpful to others who are in the market for similar vehicles. Make sure to stop by the new Dealer Ratings & Reviews section of Edmunds.com to share your thoughts on your recent dealer experience with everyone. Happy holidays and enjoy your new ride :) .

Car_man
    Host
  • Time to turn in my LS (Dec 30) I have a dilema though.
    We are driving to Fl in husbands car on Jan 9- Apr 3
    Thought we would wait on the 2008 Edge Lease until
    April when we return.
    or are the very best deals at the end of the year? and
    should we move now and leave it sit while we are gone?
    My experience leads me to state that the best lease deals appear at the end of each quarter. This is based on years of watching the market and keeping track of annual events. With the economy continuing to be shaky, the traditional patterns could be re-set in 2008. I would wait until March if it is going to sit in your garage for months.
    My 08 Ltd AWD is due sometime in January. Not sure if I will be leasing or buying but I am leaning toward leasing. Does anyone have any information about this X-Plan discount? I am reading about this on blueovalnews.com and I have to say I am a little suspicious. Could it be true? If so, how do I get an X-Plan number?
  • X-Plan is a Ford discount program for companies that do business with Ford.

My wife works for a major airline, and as they buy large volumes of Fords, she can get the discount.

It's a great program because the X-Plan price is set by Ford to the dealer. The dealer can't charge a "dealer fee" add-on either. That's a Ford rule, and the X-Plan price is usually +/- $100 of invoice price. Also, most all rebates apply.

I've seen some people on blueovalforums offering these codes, but there is limited transferability so don't pay for one. If you can get the car for invoice, you'll be close in price, but the dealer fee maybe something you can't get out of.

Hope this helped.

Hal
  • Hi all ,

new to the site as I have been happy with my 02 Cherokee for a long time. I am looking at leasing a new 08 edge as I know I am city living in downtown st louis. The model I am looking at is as follows. any assistance with lease rates payments I should target etc would be appreciated.
    I would be putting 0 or little down. and am in the ST Louis area

2008 Limited black
    20" premium wheels
    class 2 trailor tow
    interior appearance upgrade
    panoramic roof

thanks
  • I am looking at leasing a ford edge limited and got the below offer yesterday can you help me figure out how to move forward in negotiating this deal?
    MSRP (Sticker Price) $36,210.00
    Discount Price $34,381.95
    Term/Miles 24mo 12,000 miles a year total of 24,000 at the end of your lease
    Lease Rate .75%
    Residual 62%
    Cash Down 0.00
    Ford Rebate $1,250.00
    Your Sales Tax Rate 7.741%
    Govt Fees (personal property tax and Plates) $216.00
    Taxes $984.48
    Security Deposit (Refundable at the end of lease) $575.00
    Payment $570.88
    Total due at signing $1145.88

thanks alot for your help!!
  • Hi jgriffs. You never mentioned how long you want to lease the Edge that you are interested in for or what mileage allowance you need, so for now I will assume that you are interested in a 36 month lease with 15,000 miles per year. Let me know if you want something different. Ford Credit's current base lease rate and residual value for a 36 month lease of a 2008 Ford Edge Limited AWD with 15,000 miles per year are 2.0% and 50%, respectively.

Let's come up with some approximate pricing so that we can estimate this truck's monthly payment. The Edge that you described has an MSRP of around $36,320 and a dealer invoice price of $33,855. Ford is currently providing $1,250 lease cash on this model in most areas. If we subtract that from the invoice price and add $500 for the dealer we come up with a capitalized cost of $33,105. Using these numbers, I come up with a 36 month, 15,000 mile per year, zero down, pre-tax monthly payment of around $458.

Car_man
    Host