Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Honda/Acura Odometer Class Action Suit

Comments

• badbuybadbuy Posts: 12
    Have a 2006 RL "new" purchase in november. Lots of things going wrong plus it took over 2 months for acura to respond to a 6 page letter. Now saw this odometer issue....guess what. Took my mobile GPS in the car, put odometer on "ZERO" miles, put GPS on ZERO miles and started to drive. Over two days, the odometer was consistent in being 8-10 miles MORE than the GPS reading. So at a minimum, it's 8 miles off in 100 miles which equals an 8% error rate.

So when the odometer reads 36,000 miles, it's actually 2, 880 miles TOO MUCH! You can't convince me that Honda and Acura didn't know that they were cheating the consumer???? Of course they are, and with the problems that I'm having with a car that's got about 5,000 miles on it, they don't make a good product either.......what a mistake in not buying any car other than a HONDA product :cry: :lemon: :lemon:
  • badbuybadbuy Posts: 12
    I just posted my experience comparing my mobile GPS calculation with the odometer reading over two day 100 mile tests. The odometer is AL LEAST 8% off!!!!! That means that the 15 miles to the gallon that I am getting from this new lemon is actually LESS THAN 14MPG!!!!!

Even ignoring all of the problems and warranty work that needs repair on my RL so far, I would never have considered this car if I had known that Honda was hiding a problem like this on a car that got POOR gas mileage despite the false sticker stating 17MPG !!!!!

Too bad the NTSA doesn't get after this company for such misrepresentation.

A real bad buy that I'm stuck with for at least 3 years.... :lemon: :lemon: :lemon:
  • thegraduatethegraduate Posts: 9,731
    The Ridgeline, since introduction I believe, has never had a sticker that said 17 MPG.

It reads like this:

16 City / 21 Hwy

Yes, you are gettling low mileage, but remember a couple of things.

1.) Mileage on new vehicles usually gets better as it breaks in over a few thousand miles.

2.) Winter formula fuels lower mileage by a good 10% in many cases (mine included - Accord dropped from 28 AVG to around 25-26 MPG)

3.) Honda isn't hiding the problem, because Honda didn't make the mileage estimates. The Environmental Protection Agency is responsible for that one. I'm not saying "don't be mad," but you should at least get mad at the party responsible for those numbers.

*A question for you - Do you live in a hilly area? I'll explain my question later...
  • tallman1tallman1 Posts: 1,874
    I think he is talking about the Acura RL, not the Ridgeline.
    Ahh, that would be correct! :sick:

I've been in the Ridgeline forum a lot lately, and they all use shorthand for the name Ridgeline and write "RL."

I should spend some time elsewhere for awhile it seems...

Thanks for bringing that to my attention. I can't delete it now, but some of the rightful info still stands about winter fuels and break-ins.

Have a great weekend all! :)
  • panmaxpanmax Posts: 24
    "1.) Mileage on new vehicles usually gets better as it breaks in over a few thousand miles. "

I have waited over 4 years and my Odyssey's fuel economy has not improved. Break in? Never saw any effect. Still use 5w20 oil too. Honda and many manufacturers do have a problem. When the sales staff boasts about EPA ratings, some buyers believe them and are justifiably angry if they never come close to those advertised ratings. No, Honda does not get a blanket excuse. The customer is still angry no matter what excuse may be concocted. Actually, Odyssey is worse than smaller Hondas in having more problem reaching EPA mileage estimates than smaller Hondas, from personal experience.
    I guess I'm not angry because when driven as the EPA does, our car gets EPA mileage, or better.
  • scottm123scottm123 Posts: 1,501
    My MDX gets 23.8 on long highway trips.
    Well above estimates.
    So what....

This has to do with my car being worth less on the backend due to higher than legitimate mileage.
    Not to mention, the early drop of warranty.
  • Tomorrow I am turning in my leased 2004 Honda Odyssey EX. After owning two previous Acura products, this Odyssey was a huge disappointment. It never got better than 14 mpg around town and maybe, if the wind pushed us just right, 19-20 mpg on the highway. And then there was the mystery of how I managed to rack up so many miles on this restricted lease...which has never happened to me before. My current mileage is 43965. Just two weeks ago, I received paperwork telling me of this odometer issue. In the long run, since Honda will discount those miles by 5%, it will save me about $300 on the mileage overage. I made the decision to just turn in the lease because all car dealers were offering $3000 less than the lease residual on trade in. The vehicle is in very good condition. So much for Honda's Best Resell Value claim. Yes, that included two Honda dealerships. Fortunately, I had made the decision to buy a Hyundai Sante Fe even before I found out about the lawsuit. I am more than pleased with this new vehicle.

Habitat1 is right on with comments. I am a mechanical engineer, worked at an auto parts manufacturer (that manufactured instrument cluster panels among other things), and, therefore, know that quality control could be and should be better. It is within their capabilities to be more accurate. NASA manages. As you can see, This odometer error can cost the consumer money. And it's all about pleasing the customer.

I won't ever buy another Honda...I've learned my lesson.
  • ezshift5ezshift5 West coastPosts: 853
    .... won't ever buy another Honda...I've learned my lesson.

....today's mail brought the infamous Honda high odometer readings pending lawsuit paperwork.

Keeping in mind that I graduated from a land grant college in California (not Princeton, Yale or Notre Dame like my naval officer buddies during times nautical)........

...just don't understand
    all the hate and discontent...........

Honda has acknowledged the error (the 3 - 4 per cent optomistic odometer) - and agreed to extend warranty by 5%

seems more than fair to me. Where have I gone wrong here?

best, ez..
  • ggesqggesq Posts: 701
    Good luck w/ the Sante Fe. I am sure you will find it to be a more positive experience than that of which compared to your Honda. Hopefully, Hyundai conforms to your high level of quality control. Finally,I'm sure at some point you'll discover the great resale value of the Sante Fe if you ever decide to get rid of it.

;) :surprise: ;)
  • panmaxpanmax Posts: 24
    "...seems more than fair to me. Where have I gone wrong here?" End quote.

You are missing that Honda had to get caught by the legal system to make good on the odometer problem.

If the owner does not pursue a lawsuit, Honda just keeps collecting more lease fees and has to cover less warranty repairs because the miles on the odometer show more than actual miles. And those who have fast running odometers just before or just after the date of manufacture of the class action settlement do not receive any compensation even though their vehicles often have the same problem.
  • ezshift5ezshift5 West coastPosts: 853
    ..well - max - I grant you that Honda did not initiate action prior to the lawsuit.

I really didn't take understand (California land grant college, right?) your last sentence.

(But I do appreciate your time/perceptions.

ez
  • Hi,
    I own a TL type S built during that period and have not received a letter. I heard about this today from my sister who caught it on the news.
    But, I keep receiving a recall notice regarding the seat belt for an Acura I haven't had for 4 years !
    And, I agree with all who say the mileage SHOULD be accurate. It has implications selling, warranty, trading in.
  • elroy5elroy5 Posts: 3,741
    Honda just keeps collecting more lease fees and has to cover less warranty repairs because the miles on the odometer show more than actual miles.

I am not making excuses for Honda. But when you consider all the good-will repairs Honda does for it's customers (after the warranty has run out), it makes it hard to believe they did this to reduce warranty claims. Leases, would be another matter.
  • Honda's/Acura's good graces? Geesh, I bought my TL 100 miles away and can't have it serviced at a Honda dealer 5 miles away. Resale, warranty, everything depend on the mileage and 4% can add up. I've never received a notice for this, only a transmission recall, which we had to drive 200 miles round trip to have serviced. I'm rather disgusted. I'd like to sell my car with 30,800 miles on it as opposed to 32K. It does make a difference.
  • frisconickfrisconick Posts: 1,275
    Low miles on a car has a huge effect on trade-in value. :cry:
  • elroy5elroy5 Posts: 3,741
    I just checked the kbb value on my Accord (03 EX V6, no nav.) I have 42,000 miles. The private party value was $14,910. Then I went back, and changed the mileage 4% (43,680). Guess what the change was.... $0. It came up with $14,910. When I sold my old 92 Accord, I got $1000 over the kbb value anyway. It's not so much about the miles when you sell your car. It's more about the condition the car is in.
  • my 2006 TL hit 20K miles today.

I am very disappointed.....this is will probably be my last honda/Acura.

I wish I went with a IS350 instead....not I am stuck with this. How I see it now Honda is no better than Ford and Chevy.

I want a refund check!
  • frisconickfrisconick Posts: 1,275
    Yes the condition of the car is most important, but I tend to put a lot of miles on my cars.
This discussion has been closed.