Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Dodge Ram Radiator and Cooling

john209john209 Posts: 1
I have a 95 Dodge Ram 1500 5.9L 4x2, I have replaced my radiator, thermostat, hoses, and clamps. I have worked on the Thermostat housing 3 times and everytime I get the truck up to temp and give it a little gas to climb hills I end up with a coolant leak either from the housing (which has been checked for cracks) or from above the waterpump. I have found the water pressure becomes intense and then I end up with the leak. After letting it cool then running it again I have no leak until the engine gets back up to temp. Can someone help me with the madness???

Comments

• corkscrewcorkscrew Posts: 254
    Hello John,
    The thermostat housing is stamped with the word "front". This must face the front of the engine. The thermostat is installed with the spring end directed in, toward the engine. I assume you installed a new thermostat as the old one could be stuck closed, and have the radiator cap pressure tested. Hope this helps.
  • Hello there i change the radiator and thermostat and it broke in the same place in the top of the right side the same that happen in the old radiator now i have to buy another 1 i look at the thermostat if it wouldn't open but the thermostat is good it open and close what is happening thanks for reading my message.
  • I have spent the better part of a day to find info on location of thermostat. After a few days of overheating and searching the web for answers, there was not 1 answer that pertained to my situation. I went to autozone and they told me that the thermostat is located on the lower hose (the only location that I could find). This could have been a simple and quick fix had I known. Just a tidbit of info to help anyone else in need. The location is not your typical location. "It is on the bottom hose".
    I hope this helps any further confusion.
  • dustykdustyk Posts: 2,931
    Sorry to hear you went to so much trouble. And of course, it's not your everyday thermostat, either. Just curious where you got your's and how much did you spend?

Best regards,
    Dusty
  • I got it at Advanced Auto, Autozone were out of stock. The price was 19.99, a price match from Autozone. Also 11.99 for the gallon of antifreeze (the orange kind).
    Thank you.

Dusty
  • Already replaced the thermostat and flushed the radiator. Still overheating. Any suggestions.
  • The "obvious" to me would be check the water pump - maybe a bad/stuck impeller, and/or a bubble in the cooling system sometimes can cause that, especially after replacing the thermostat and coolant. I guess the worst case is so much scale in the system itself the radiator needs replacing and the system seriously acid-flushed. An '04? my bet is the bubble. It's just not that old a truck.
  • In conversation with the dealership their suggestion was it might be the scale in the radiator. They said bring it in and they'll look at it with an infrared device. Of course, they could get more money if the radiator needs replacing. How would you get a bubble out of the cooling system? Truck has 51K on it.
  • When I had it once, I did two things: "massage" the upper and possibly lower main radiator hoses to squeeze the bubble out of them if it was there, and secondly, drive it short distances being careful not to overheat the engine, then let it cool and fill directly to the radiator cap until full. It is possible, too, though rare, that you bought a new, but bad, thermostat. You could try taking the thermostat out (running just with the elbow joint wide-open) to see, but you'll probably need a second gasket. Good luck to you!
  • We have a problem with our '99 Ram 1500. We could not get the windshield to defrost or get rid of the moisture. Then there was this "film" on the inside of the windshield. It's very difficult to get off the glass and it turns gray on the towel. About two weeks ago we were driving down the road and a fine dust like substance blew out of all the vents and it smelled like coolant. The inside of the truck always has that coolant smell now. Any idea what would cause this?
    Probably. It is likely a leaking heater core.

Regards,
    Dusty
  • Let's say i'm facing the front of the engine, with my wrench on the fan clutch bolt itself. Do I need to turn the wrench clockwise, or counterclockwise? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
  • My 95 5.9 liter takes forever to warm up. I have replaced the thermostat 2 times with new. Has cummins thermostat in it now. Can I valve off the 1/4 inch by pass hose to keep water in the engine till the thermostat opens without doing damage?
  • KCRam@EdmundsKCRam@Edmunds Mt. Arlington NJPosts: 3,495
    My 96 Cummins also ran pretty cool in the winter, and never overheated in summer. Keep in mind, Dodge put a HUGE radiator in for the Cummins, same one they used with the V10. You may want to consider plugging in the block heater, or getting a winterfront for the grille.

kcram - Pickups Host

KCRam - Pickups/Wagons/Vans+Minivans Moderator

• Thank you KCRAM for your answer. My local Dodge dealer said exactly the same thing. I will get or make a winter grill for the truck. Thanks again.
  • I have a full size 1990 dodge p/u with a 318. I changed the thermostat but still have a problem.

When I am driving at highway speeds the temp is normal and the heater blows hot air.

When I stop, it immediately goes almost all the way to the H and the heater starts blowing cold air. If a go back to highway speeds it reverts back to normal.

In town it is more hit and miss...it seemes to like not stop and go driving. I can't think of what else would cause both symptoms to occur.

Help the brain dead pls