Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Ford Expedition Gas Mileage

Comments

• I wonder why people buy these Expeditions,Tundras,Tahoes etc and then complain about gas mileage with these 6000 pound bricks. I just purchased a 2004 Expedition EB 4X4 and I guess with my somewhat lead foot get about 13 or 14 MPG city? Hell I did not think it would get that. Also got a 2006 Honda Civic EX that gets around 35 or 36 MPG. Hey, maybe Honda civic will get a towing package for 8000 pounds or carry eight people with lugage? If you are so interested in MPG maybe you should look at a small Toyota or Honda.
  • tidestertidester Posts: 10,110
    If you are so interested in MPG ...

Coincidentally, that IS the topic of discussion here and we had hoped people would be interested. :shades:

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper
  • wvgasguywvgasguy Posts: 1,405
    I wonder why people buy these Expeditions,Tundras,Tahoes etc and then complain about gas mileage with these 6000 pound bricks.

We buy them because we need (or think we do) a vehicle this size. We complain about the FE because we would like the manufacturer to concentrate on improving the FE. I don't complain because my Expedition gets 14 mpg. I expected that. What I do complain about is that they don't do something about it. I'm not talking about major gains. But the difference in 14 mpg and 17 mpg is pretty significant.

I would have went for a diesel option, even at the steep premium if it had been available. Would have loved a hybrid option like in the t'ho.

For me, I complained BEFORE I purchased. That does not keep me from complaining after too.

Chevy has a good idea with the hybrid but messed it up putting it out as a $50 vehicle. I believe if the mgfr's come out with a large SUV under $40K that gets 20 mpg they will sell well

Besides that, I am interested in FE so I also drive my hybrid as much as possible.
    The Expedition has such a mushy ride that I have to slow down for curves and then speed up when exiting. I believe that hurts my FE considerably. If they would make the thing handle better I could drive more steady and possibly help some
    When I drive my Expedition like I drive my hybrid I can get 18+ on driving that is mostly highway. Driving over 65 mph kills FE. Driving in town kills FE, even with slow starts starting 6000 pounds from a dead stop takes a lot of gas
  • Ive got an 05 4x4 Expd w/ 46k miles - Usually get 18+ highway & 14+ city mpg. Recently dropped a lot (to 14 and 12). Tried a K&N air filter, injector cleaner, higher octaine gas - to no avail. Disconnected the battery (to reset the computer chip is what i was thinking) and my mileage went back up to 18-20 highway. I am very happy.
    That's good to know. Thank you!

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper
  • You probably need new shocks/ better tires. The Expedition is not a sports car. I have 97,000 miles on my 99 and it's a great vehicle. I did replace the shocks and I am on a new set of tires. I get about 18 mpg on the hiway under the best of conditions. Driving under 65, not doing fast starts and conservative driving helps millage. According to the Newtons law F=MA, going faster is not going to help gas millage. Increasing Mass or Force or both is going to take more energy. You can't possible get better millage going faster everything else being the same!

Has anyone tried a new muffler system such as Magnaforce to reduce back flow??
    You can't possible get better millage going faster everything else being the same!

I get exactly 0 miles to the gallon when I am idling at full stop. Increasing my speed does, in fact, improve my gas mileage. ;)

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper
  • buffalojoebuffalojoe Posts: 10
    I have a 3500 lb. RV trailer that I'm planning to tow with my '99 Exp and it has the 5.4L. I just bought it so I could have the comfortable car for such a trip and I don't have a feel yet for the mileage. Anyone have a ballpark idea of what mileage I could expect when towing? Thanks!
  • How do you increase speed when at full stop at idle?
  • I have the 4.6 L engine in my 99'. I towed a small motorcycle trailer with my Harley on it on a camping trip recently. I hardly noticed any drop in mileage. How ever, it has low weight and wind load. A 3,500 lb load is going to cut down mileage and I would guess about 3 mpg depending on how you drive. I would certainly keep at 55 or lower. Getting that rig moving is going to eat gas, so try and gradually build up speed and coast to stops if possible. Use brake as little as possible and allow plenty of space for stops and no sudden sharp moves. Make sure your tires are all up to proper pressure. Check your hitch and safety chains, make sure all your lights are functioning.
    How do you increase speed when at full stop at idle?

Normally, I put the car in gear and press the gas pedal. :)

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper
    I've been pulling the same trailer with my '86 F250 diesel and that's how I do it there. It's nice to know that the technique for pulling trailers is universal! Thanks for the help. :shades:
  • Very Good! have a nice day!
  • Good luck with the trailer and MPG. You will find out soon! Always be careful towing. I was in a near accident with a friend years ago. He nor I had done much trailer towing. He was driving, forgot about the camper popup and made a sharp move to pass. The trailer broke off, flipped upside down but we were Ok. The trailer was a total loss.
    I have a '99 XLT with the 5.4L engine. What do you think of passenger tires ('P') versus light truck ('LT') tires? I bought this used and it came with a set of Goodyear Wrangler P tires. Would the LT's give better MPG since they're stiffer?

Also, what about putting in Bosch Platinum 4 plugs? Would that help? I'm trying to do all of the gentle driving I can but I'm also looking to improve whatever mechanical parts I can too. Thanks! :)
  • I put General Grabber HTS tires on mine from Tire Rack. They are just fine and more of a street tire. If you don't off road and street drive, don't get the Wranglers. Mine wore out because of wear pattern and still had good tread. Balancing did not fix the problem but the new tires took care of it!

Plugs. Go with STOCK is my advise. I did the plugs on my 4.6 at 90,000 miles. The gap was real big! It took me about 6 hours to do, a [non-permissible content removed] of a job especially on right rear plug. I replaced wires at the same time. The dealer charges over $600 for a plug job. You will see why! :) If you go with another plug type other than stock and they don't work out right, you will be real pissed at having to do the replacement again, believe me! Make sure you have a good set of sockets, ratchets, variety of extensions, angle connections to get to those plugs. This is a job for one with experience at this. Otherwise go to your dealer and plop your $$ down and come back and drive away happy!!!
    Yeah, I had a look under the hood and I groaned when I saw what was there. Did the replacement of the plugs help your mileage? I'm still trying to figure out if I want to try it or take the smart way out.

As far as tires, I hate Goodyears in general and am glad I'm not the only one.

Thanks! :shades:
  • The manual says to replace plugs at 100,000 miles. When I measured the old plugs the gap was almost 1/8", pretty big and plugs were worn to some degree. I would say the engine runs better, smother with the new plugs, idles just great. You can do the plug job but take your time. If plugs have never been replaced and you are at the 100K mark do it. Also you may damage wires so consider replacing them at the same time. The plug wire boots are quite long and were difficult to remove without damaging them. If not up to the job, let the dealer do it. I did the job over a two day period to ease my back from bending over those fenders!

The Generals HTS seem to be quiet, smooth riding and handle well. I do mostly street, hi-way driving. Check the Tire Rack site for reviews on them. These tires were so new when I got them, my garage smelled like fresh rubber for 2 months! I think i paid $550 for 4 balanced and installed at Tire Rack here in South Bend, IN.

Let me know how you did on the plugs.