Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Ford Expedition Transmission Problems

Comments

• sutton5sutton5 Posts: 1
    I have experienced the same jerking problem with my 2005 Expedition. I took it to my local Ford Dealer who stated: It's PROBABLY the "special" spark plugs and "special" wire. They announced a whooping $821 price tag to replace the plugs and wires. They say it is a slight intermittent misfire that causes the jerking. I bet you can guess what I told them to do with their "special" plugs and wires.
  • alwaysfords2alwaysfords2 Posts: 288
    By special if they mean specific to your truck, they are correct. There are three parts to the plug system - wires, COPS, and plugs. Four parts if you count the rubber boot over the COP. A COP from the dealer is around $90. You can buy a set of 8 on ebay for less than that. From what you got quoted, it is more likely a plug change and just wires when in fact it is the COPS and boots on the COPS that go bad. You should use the Motorcraft plugs. If by chance you break a plug doing it yourself you will have wished you paid the $800. Especially if you break #4 or #8. There is a reason Ford suggests a tool for taking out the remanants of broken plugs.
  • russel8russel8 Posts: 1
    "Hi i get a chattery feel ,when i take off and give the truck a little more than normal gas.I have changed the magnetic solenoid cluster before because of slippage .1999 ford ex.eddiebauer 5.4 help please .
  • Hi Everyone,

I wanted to let you know that I was finally able to get my car fixed. After driving my car with the problems described in previous posts for about 3 weeks, and talking to Ford as well as my own personal mechanic, we figured it was a Coil-on-plug that was the problem and causing the engine to missfire.

I have 128,000 on my car and the coils have never been changed (although the spark plugs were changed at 100,000). FINALLY, after 3 weeks, just as I was about to order coils and plugs, the check engine light came on and indicated a missfire in cylinder 5. Instead of just replacing 1 plug, I decided to replace all 8 since the other COPs would probably start to fail soon after.

By buying the parts myself (I bought 8 accel coils on Amazon, and Spark plugs from Kragen), I was able to save a TON of cash. Part cost = $200, labor cost = $300 from my mechanic. Total cost = $500. By buying the parts myself, I was able to replace all 8 plugs and coils for the quote that Ford and my mechanic gave me to replace 1 plug. I guess the average consumer is able to buy parts cheaper through various sources (Kragen, Amazon, the internet) than a mechanic or ford can from their own supplier.

Car runs great now and I'm very glad I did the research through this forum as well as others out there to diagnose the problem.

Not sure if this is the solution for everyone's problems but it worked with mine. Good luck!
  • 514329514329 Posts: 60
    is this problem related to a certain model yr., looking to get new 2011 expedition EL. i check the chevy suburban engine issues too so now leaning on ford and hoping the 2011 already resolve the issue. anybody driving a 2011 expedition EL? any input would be greatly appreciated.
  • eb6eb6 Posts: 1
    I have a 2005 Ford Expedition Limited with 72k miles. My extended 5yr/75k mile warranty just ended in December 2010. Last week I noticed my car whining when stepping on the gas. It makes a weird sound when in gear also but in neutral there it is quiet. The more i give it throttle the louder the whining sound gets. What is this problem? Transmission, planetary gear, torque converter, etc.? The dealer will only take care of 50% of the bill. They're charging me $800 just to drop the transmission and diagnose it. Anyone have or heard of this problem?
  • noryelnoryel Posts: 1
    I have a 2001 ford expedition eddie bauer all wheel drive 5.4 engine and when taking off it feels like it is missing a gear, then 50 to 60 Kph it downshifts hard also with clunking sounds, it feel you step on the break really hard and it will pull to the right then before it comes to a stop it will back to normal or you will feel the transmission shift dowm. I only have 98.000 click and we hardly used it. Please help. Thank you...
  • cobcob Posts: 210
    Be happy they will pay 50%. My 2004 EXP XLT with 113,000 the truck just stopped going one day with no warning would not take off from a stop sign. Bearing failure within transmission gearset cost $2800 for a full rebuild. At least I now have 75,000 miles in which to destroy it again and get a free (ha ha) rebuild. Than it will only be $1400 per transmission.
  • zeev1zeev1 Posts: 1
    i have 05 expedition i drive really good and its shift nice, i get to over drive its dosent engage.
    its any body knows.
    please respond. thanks
    It may be the O/D shift solinoid in the transmission is not working. Ususally the O/D off light will blink if it is an internal problem in the trans. Also check to see that you don't have the O/D off by pressing the button on the end of the shift lever.
  • I drive a 2007 Ford Expedition EL. It has been having problems "getting going" when I try to take off at times and its getting worse. This morning as I drove off the parking lot, it turned off and the engine sign turned on. After resting for 10-15 minutes (while I waited for roadside) I attempted to start and it started without a problem. I have also noticed that when and if Itry to take off from a stop, it "jumps" and the peddal goes all the way to the floor and then it "fixes" itself and I drive off. I have taken it in for this reason for fear I might get into an accident one day and was told there was nothing wrong with it. I am a woman and am easily brushed off at the dealership and would like any advice you have to give in order to arm myself with some knowledge when i go to dealership.
  • My 2007 with 87,000 miles just started doing this same shuttering at 45 mph. I can't decide if it's a transmission problem or a coil/ignition type problem. Anybody ever figure out what it was?
  • Could be either, at some point it should give you a CEL that can be read. Have you had the tranny serviced at the regular intervals? You should be just about due for your third service.
  • tcradotcrado Posts: 3
    edited October 2011
    I recently aquired a 1999 XLT 4WD. It would shift noticably hard into the next gear and the person I bought the vehicle from said it had a "shift kit" installed. 6 months later, it was acting sluggish to get up and go. I knew something wasnt' right and turned around to go home, didn't make it. I loss all my transmittion fluid in the street. I can tear apart a manual transmission but have zero experience with automatics. I can do the labor if I had ideas on a direction to go. I can read a manual, then perform the task.
    Can anyone help me with a direction to go?
    I have silver slivers that are not magnetic. I lost transmission fluid and it was coming out of the torque converter section. What are the chances of the silver slivers are from the torque converter and if so, what are the chances the transmission is still in usable condition?
  • Replacing the plugs does fix the jerking problem you feel when coasting on the highway. Have a professional or dealer replace the plugs. The plugs on the Triton 5.4L break often. I had all but two plugs break on my 2005 Expedition 5.4L. Don't replace the plugs yourself unless you know what you are doing. I had to buy a broken plug removal tool to get my plugs out. The tool costs around $100 just by itself. I can see why the dealer charges $700-$800 to replace the plugs on this truck.

Good luck
    The problem is in the fact that the silver slivers have been flushed around the entire transmission system. They will eventually clog up the lines and cause other issues within the transmission. They are pieces of aluminum (non-magnetic) and usually the valve bodies are aluminum so you probably will be looking at a new or rebuilt transmission. You can try doing a fluid and filter change but may want to have a shop remove all the fluid instead of just the 5 quarts from dropping the pan.
  • my daughters ford expidition turns on ok, but when i put it in drive the engine shuts off. I have been told the transmission is messed up. The thing is that if i put it in gear while i step on the brake and gas at the same time the truck takes off just fine, but when i get to a stop sign or traffic light it shuts off. Could that be a sensor or is the transmission messing up. If anyone can help it would be very apreciated thank you.
    Thank you for your response. Very helpful.
  • I would like to know what was wrong with it too. My EXP is doing the same and I am going to start by changing the Auto Trans Control Solenoid. But I would like to know what you did to fix it.

My EXP. is stalling when you give it gas at 35 to 50. The engine even backfires. If I mash it to the floor it run fine . But between 35 and 50 if you just give it enough gas to maintain speed it starts the jerking and the tach. falls and then jumps back up.