Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Ford Expedition Transmission Problems

Comments

• wnixwnix Posts: 4
    I have had the same problem. It's been in once and they "fixed" it but the problem was back 2 weeks later. I am so frustrated. Am putting the truck back in this week. It's so hard not to have a car so I have put off the return service on my vehicle. What has been your final result?
  • jim1106jim1106 Posts: 1
    I have a 2007 EL loaded. First problem was backing my boat into my garage. Slight hill on driveway, engine would lose power and even roll forward a bit...could floor gas, but barely raised RPMs. Later happened backing out of steep driveway at lake...the last was the best. Pulling boat out of water, same thing only forwards...lost power and began to roll backwards INTO THE LAKE...stopped just short of the water going over the bumper. took it in once, no answer, going in Monday..I won't bring it home without something being fixed..assuming transmission....anyone else??
  • mjeongmjeong Posts: 4
    I have a 2004 Expedition 4.6 and for the life of me just can't find the automatic transmission drain plug. Does it have one?
  • taetaetaetae Posts: 1
    i have a 1998 ford expedition, and i was driving, and the check engine light was blinking. i pulled over, checked my oil, and it was low, i put in 4 quarts of oil in, the truck turned on, was running smooth at idle, but as soon as i put it in gear, it jerked a little. it continued to sputter, shake, as i accelerated, but once i let go of the gas, it ran smooth, the check engine light appeared and stayed on.. i drove it home, but on the way home, every light i was at it tend to sputter and shake as i took off until about 2k rpm's. the engine sounds fine, and i doubt it is the engine. do you think you know what is going on with my car.
  • My 2004 Expedition just had its tranny fail at 48,000 miles
  • mschmalmschmal Posts: 1,757
    Check engine lights have nothing to do with any vehicle system other than emissions related items.

The low oil condition was probably not what was causing the light to come on.

A flashing check engine light usually means a very serious condition that could result in damage to the cat.

Mark.
  • Just lost mine at 70,000.
  • GREAT! I have a 2007 Limited Exped. Same problems. I told my husband it was hesitating upon acceleration the very first day I drove it. Nope, that is just the larger engine, I was told. I was stopped at a stop sign on an enbankment and when I went to pull out, entire vehicle shut off. Nice huh? Today, sitting at red light, went to accelerate, start jumping like when a belt is slipping on something. Going in shop tonight!! Has anyone gotten a resolution to their transmission issues??
  • mschmalmschmal Posts: 1,757
    Just for your info, the 2004 and the 2007 Expeditions have different transmissions.

I'm just interested if to know if Johnf had his transmission serviced as required in the manual.

Mark.
  • There is a TSB for that problem. Let the dealer know.

Look at this message, down a bit is a scan of the technical service bulletin that addresses the issue.

http://www.blueovalforums.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=11391
  • We had the same problem! Let your dealer know there is a TSB out for the transmission. The mechanic at our dealership (after numerous attempts of trying to re-create the problem weren't sucessful) decided to see if there was a TSB issued...and of course there was so he then UPDATED our computer chip software that regulates the tranny...took it home and of course it continued it after we left the dealer...took it back and the tech said they have to try to correct the smaller problem first so then he said the whole chip would have to be replaced...which costs Ford about $1100.00 and now the 2007 Expo runs like a champ...so have your mechanic check that out especially if it is still under warranty...
  • Thanks so much for your post...saved me TONS of time and aggravation with dealer. Once I said there was a TSB, they knew I was an informed consumer! They performed an upload program into my Expedition EL and so far so good. Transmission tech said that he has seen quite a few of these and only a few require the new part from Ford. My tech said if it continues, the next step will be to replace the part. I'm crossing my fingers!
  • I was just wanting to know if anyone can tell me if there is a TSB on the 2004 Expediton tranny? I have one that just went out at 40,000 miles. I am not sure about you guys but I am not happy with my ford right now or Ford Motor company for that matter. I guess since people don't die from tranny problems, Ford will never recall them. Help me please.
  • steverstever YooperlandPosts: 39,936
    An owner may have more details but you can check for summary TSB and recall info with the Edmunds Maintenance Guide.

Need help navigating? stever@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

• I have a 98 expedition 4.6l. Last winter I discovered that when I try to put in into 4 high or low it isn't engaging. The lights on the dash are lighting up as they should but the system is not engaging. I am being told it is problably the transfer case shifting motor. I wanted some more advice before I replace...Help..
  • mytrk1mytrk1 Posts: 1
    We just bought a 2004 with 28,000 miles 5 wks ago. It's now back at the dealer for transmission problems (both upshift and downshift) and we're waiting to hear from the Ford rep. At first they couldn't duplicate the problem (sound familiar?) but we insisted that it is much worse than the slight clunk as referenced in the service bulletin. I can't imagine the clunk and hard shift on ice; you would think they would see this as a safety issue. Not picking it up until it's fixed! After reading this forum I guess we are in for a battle.
  • Ours did not start with a clunk and hard shift, we now realize that it started months ago with just a strange sound. We are suppose to get ours back today, make sure that you do not pick it up until the transmission is changed. We were told there was nothing wrong with ours when it was still under warranty. Now that the warranty has run out it is costing us $2600 to have it replaced with a Jasper Rebuilt transmission. This transmission has a 100,000 mile warranty something >FORD WONT GIVE US. We do love our truck but not sure that keeping it is the right thing to do.
  • t case shifting motor is a good guess, but it really needs to be diagnosed. Many transmission shops also work on t cases, I would ck there.
  • barap1barap1 Posts: 1
    My 99 Expedition started doing the same thing. The blinking has been intermitent. It usually starts blinking when I hit 45MPH. I had the fluid drained/flushed and still get it. Today, I drove it to see if maybe it just needed to warm up more and drove for more than 20 miles without the light blinking and took it up to 70MPH and no blinking. Upon entering my neighborhood it started blinking again. Any ideas? I took it to the dealer and AAXXX, they both said the tranny needs rebuilding. It drives and shifts fine.
  • I too have had this problem with my 07 Expedition Limited. I am at my wits end with the dealer Champion Ford Corpus Christi, TX. My vehicle has been in the shop 4 times for this problem and they are actually telling me there is no solution at this time. Thanks to your comments I will be at the dealership tomorrow AM to bring them this new information. Hopefully they will fix the problem or my next step will be to file a complaint with the Texas Department of Motor Vehicles Leamon Law Department.
    Thanks again for your comments.