Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Ford Expedition Transmission Problems

Comments

• mschmalmschmal Posts: 1,757
    First thing to know about this trans on prior to 07 Expeditions is that transmission fluid MUST BE CHANGED ever 30k. or 3 years.

As for trading for a Toyota, check out the Camry forum, so man trans problems with the 6 speed that CR has removed their "recommended" rating.

Mark
  • wnixwnix Posts: 4
    Anyone with original transmission problems still having troubles? Mine has been in several times and never seems to act up while at the dealer. They have been great and given me a car rental but I want the truck that I paid over $43,000 for to work and not jump and buck everytime I accelerate or slow down. I am real tired of it and am getting ready to give it to Ford... sad thing is that I love my EL other than the way it messes up while driving. I have almost 28,000 miles and am really scared of the problem not being resolved before my 36,000 warranty is up. Any advice? Has anyone Lemon Lawed theirs and what was that process?
  • Stever@EdmundsStever@Edmunds YooperlandPosts: 38,921
    It's interesting that Ford doesn't seem to require doing anything to the transmission fluid - I just went through 110,000 miles on the Edmunds Maintenance Guide and only saw periodic checks of the fluid level being recommended.
  • I have a 07 Expedition as well and I live in Austin. What did you do about your problem? I have taken my car to 2 different dealer ships and they both say they have done all they can. Did you file paper work for the lemon law? If so, how did it turn out and do you have any contact info for the attorney.

Thank you
    ACK, sorry, thought this was the same as the F-150.
  • qgaitherqgaither Posts: 1
    I started my truck today and tried to shift into drive, and nothing happened. i finally realized that my gears are one off, meaning when it shows as 'r' it is in park, when it shows as 'n' it is in reverse, when it shows as 'd' it is in neutral, etc..

has anyone experienced this? i don't know much about cars, and i'm afraid to drive it....it is the holiday and nothing is open.

i drive a 2001 ford expedition xlt.
  • fordfan_17fordfan_17 Posts: 175
    take it to a transmission shop and have the "MLPS" checked and or replaced this sensor tells the pcm where you have the shift lever selected so the computer knows what to do
  • joew3joew3 Posts: 2
    I have a 2007 expedition and have had it in the shop 5 times for the transmission problems and taking it in tomorrow for the sixth time. It has a hard shift, when coming to a stop, it shifts hard and surges when it down shifts. This is very dangerous because you don't expect to be depressing this hard when coming to a stop just to overcome the surge feeling. If you aren't aware of it happening, you may be 'surge'd' into the car in front of you. they keep telling me that this is the way this transmission works and there is nothing they can do, but the have also had the Ford expert come to do the software down load because the chip set would not take it the normal way and it had to be hand loaded (so I was told). After a couple of weeks, it goes back to doing the same thing. Can anyone tell me what can be done to get this fixed once and for all.
    IMHO you should call a lawyer, I had a customer with the V8 Explorer, same trans, and even replacing the trans didn't keep the problem from coming back. We basically ran out of parts to replace because nothing provided a permanent fix. The customer ended up getting a new vehicle through the lemon law process. This seems to be very rare though.

Mark.
  • jfratjfrat Posts: 2
    When you say they had to replace the whole chip, is that the PCM? I am having the same transmission problems with my 07 Expedition and just called the dealer to bring it in a third time. The first two times they applied the same TSB (080413A) but this did not fix it. When I asked about replacing the chip they told me that there isn't a chip to replace - that the only thing that could be replaced is the PCM.

thanks

Jane
  • buzzz1buzzz1 Posts: 42
    Lemon law the truck. It is not hard and you do not need a lawyer. Look it up for your state, fill out some forms. I did it on my 07 Expy because of the brakes. I got a 08 and have not had any problems-knock on wood!
  • jfratjfrat Posts: 2
    I can't use the lemon law because I didn't buy it new. I bought it from Carmax. When I went online and read about Georgia's lemon law it specifically states that you must have purchased the car new.
  • joew3joew3 Posts: 2
    Thanks for the response. The Ford engineers have been looking at my 07 Expedition for three day (so far and in addition to the las time I took it in) and after actually talking with them, they say they can't replicate the problem (don't know how long they drove it), but they keep telling me that because my wife drove it, it is re-learning how I am driving it (relearning for 3 weeks is very slow for a software to respond???). They also asked about what I have been towing (since I have a hitch), and I told them that I have only towed a small light trailer and if towing something/anything causes this to go into a new learning mode for three + weeks and hard shift and surge forward when downshifting like itt is, then this is also not a very smart or good system. They are very resistant to replace the TCM or PCM and when I commented about the 6 times bringing it in and the Lemmon Law, they mentioned that if they start replacing parts, it would not be good for Ford when/if the Lemmon law might be invoked.
  • buzzz1buzzz1 Posts: 42
    I would not wait anymore. File the paperwork for the lemon law! It's fords problem to find/fix the problem. Get written statements from friends/family stating they feel/hear the problem. That's all you need.
  • I'm having similar problems with my 2003 Eddie Bauer Expedition - the hesitation before kicking into passing gear. Took it to AAMCO this morning and was told I needed to replace the torque converter - $2300!!! I'm outraged. My husband and I just bought it cash from a private party last August. I guess that's what we get, huh?
  • dieselonedieselone Posts: 5,627
    I'd look for a different trans shop. I had a transmission completely rebuilt in a 2000 Suburban a few years ago for $1600. $2300 for just a torque converter is nuts.
  • i i have a 99 expedition ED 5.4 liter v8, the cruise light blinks, then the service engine light came one, made an appt for next week, now the abs light is on, and tonight on the way home when I put it in drive it makes a small whining sound, and does the same in reverse, I have lost no pressure, power, or it has not cut off or stalled - The monster runs the same as before except for the noise it will eventually stop after driving about 5 miles, i have the tcc solenoid to be replaced does anyone have any other clues or ideas of what this problem is. I have been told so many things my brain is swimming in a pond of anxiety.
    Thanks
    MACNDB
  • dg73dg73 Posts: 1
    I have a 98 expedition 4x4 4.6 ltr, I can only drive in reverse, it will not engage in any other gear. I have had several suggestions(guesses) about what is wrong but I wanted to see if anyone here might know.
  • I have an '05 EB Expedition and it clunks in a major way when I put it in reverse and it also clunks when slowing down to a stop. Almost as if the tranny is trying to catch up with the downshift and make a painfull "Clunk" just prior to stopping. I brought it to my local shop and they checked it out and couldnt come up with an answer.
    Anyone else ever have these issues? AM I in for an expensive visit to a Ford dealership?
  • have you notices your over drive light blinking when you start up or switch gears. Mine started acting up about 5 months ago, took to ford they charged trans fluid and did a flush. it ran good for about 1 month then it started acting up again. i tow a camper and ford dealer said my camper was too big. found out that trans sensor went up causing tranny cooler to malfunction which led to my CLUNKING since the transe was slipping going into low/1st gear. My repair bill cost me $3369.00 which included a jasper trans, new cooler, and new starter, but i have a 3 yr 100,000 mile warranty, mine is a 99.

the mechanic told me to as soon as the O/D light starts blinking to get it to a repair shop. ITS NOT OK TO BLINK.

check around your area for repetuable mechanics. Ford dealer wanted almost 6000.00 to do the repairs listed above.

also make sure you run your vin to check for open trans recalls, too

thanks
    MACNDB :D