Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Chevy Silverado and GMC Sierra Trailer and Towing Questions

14567810»

Comments

• brooks44brooks44 Posts: 1
    Getting my 2001 Silverado 1500 ready for hunting season. I'm having a problem with my tow wiring. Using a tester, I realized that when my daytime running lights are on, my turn signals work fine, but as soon as I flip over to regular headlights, I don't have any turn signals. Anybody have a suggestions regarding my issue? Never towed anything with this truck before (I bought it last year). Thanks for any and all help:)
  • bcouv1bcouv1 Posts: 2
    I have a similar issue. I have a 2006 Silverado 1500. When my trailer is connected and my headlights are on, my cruise control does not work, and my right signal will not work. Everything works fine when just the headlight switch is set for automatic.
  • gmcustsvcgmcustsvc Posts: 4,166
    Bcouv1,

Were you planning on taking the vehicle to your dealership? Please keep me posted when the issue has been taken care of.

Thank you,
    Caron, GM Customer Service
  • My question is for gmcustsvc, I have an 05' sierra hd with the trailer package. my dealership installed brake controller stopped working so i replaced it with a new one. i have no trailer brakes at the back of the truck trailer connector. My question is , do the trailer leads work as a negative or a positive lead in otherwords should my test light have one end on the negative as i have been doing, or should i be testing off the positive (hot)side, also, are there any other fuses beside the ones behind the driverside tailight. thanks for any help you can give me.
  • gmcustsvcgmcustsvc Posts: 4,166
    barrail,
    Can you send me your contact info and VIN as well as your question in an email? I look forward to your response.
    Christina
    GM Customer Service
  • Hi Christina, my vin# is 1GTHK29285E104548 and I am not sure how to give you my contact info since edmunds discourages posting my E-mail in a message. Heres what I 've discovered so far. brake lights work on the truck, but not on the trailer connection. At the trailer connection I have everything except brake lights. all fuses look good, brake lights on truck even work with brake controller. found two 7.5 amp fuses behind drivers rear tail light,b dirty but intact. The connection under the dash for the brake controller tests fine. Could there be another fuse some where? thanks
  • KCRamKCRam Mt. Arlington NJPosts: 3,516
    click on "gmcustsvc" in the header of that post and the profile will come up with the email address to reach them.

kcram - Pickups/Wagons/Vans+Minivans Host
  • barrailbarrail Posts: 27
    Having attempted to access the e-mail address, something in my computer would not allow me to.
  • Here's my issue - I trailer 3 horses with my 2008 Silverado 3500 dually - 6.6L Turbo diesel - I have a fully aluminum Hart LQ gooseneck trailer. Here's the 'problem' - when braking (typically coming to a stop sign or light) I often experience a back and forth lurching of the vehicle and trailer. It is not a brake pedal pulsation - I feel if more through the entire vehicle. If I depress the brake pedal really hard it will typically moderate, or go away entirely. If I'm in the 'Tow-Haul' mode it is usually felt less than when I do not have this engaged.
    Is this an issue of the amount of weight I am towing? A brake issue? Is this all normal when towing a rig like this?
  • barrailbarrail Posts: 27
    does your brake controller have diferent settings that allow gradual braking? I would start with that. could the brake drums on the trailer be warped?
  • Barrail - Thanks for the reply - the brake controller is a built-in system by Chevy - it allows for adjustments in half increments - 1.0, 1.5, 2.0, and so on. Unlike the Prodigy unit on my former truck, this system doesn't have a 'boost' option. As far as the drums/rotors are concerned, that had crossed my mind, but I haven't checked these yet. Would this be the kind of thing that wouldn't be noticed unless I was trailering a heavy load?
  • Hi Doonster i assume you are talking about when attatched with your air.? I just purchased a brand new 2011 dually have two compressors feeding one tank and when tapping the brake pedal can dump two thirds of my air. it just caused me a major incident that shunted my 43 ft trailer and locked it up coz of insufficient air. They first thought the bleeder valve got it home without towing and has not fixed the problem. Have you found a solution ?
  • Hello doonster,

I can ask our technical assistance center this information if you like. On my end, I need to provide the last 8 digits of a vehicle's VIN when I do this. If you're willing to provide that information, please email it to me at the address listed in my profile.

Best,
    Sarah
    GM Customer Service
  • Problem fixed. With two compressors supplying
    air to tank u need a priority valve otherwise
    the float lever will flick from one valve to other
    and dump air I used a protek valve. As well the air hose
    must be atleast 2 metres curled up between them.
    Works like a charm .
  • What was your solution? I have the exact same problem.
  • my problem was no trailer brake lights,and maybe a turn signal was out. After exhausting my limited abilitys, I took it to my local mechanic and his son dropped what he was doing to look up the wiring schematics on some web site he subscribed to. the fuses were all good, and everything on the truck worked. the problem was only on the trailer harness. sorry for the long explaination, but the resolve was an faulty relay on the back of the fuse box under the dash, easily accessable by pulling of the dash board. hope this helps.
  • To jhayes:

Sorry it has taken me so long to respond - To be honest with you, I have no clue regarding your response to my trailering problem (that's not your fault - it's mine). When you mention the air boost system in your 2011, compressors, etc. I am totally in the dark - Does my 2008 even have a system like this? How would I know? Please advise - I am a Dope. Sincerely, Doonster.
  • I have a 2003 2500 6L. I have noticed that while pulling my boat in trailer mode it does not seem to downshift correctly. When going uphill it stays in the high gear and I lose about 10mph. If I take my foot off the accelerator and then back on again it will downshift but otherwise will not.

Any ideas? I use the towing mode and the light comes on the dash to show that OD is disabled.
  • mdetrevillemdetreville Posts: 2
    edited April 2012
    This question is for gmcustsvc:

My 1998 GMC Sierra's VIN is 2GTEC19MXW152296456. From that can you tell me what the rear axle ratio is, and/or what the towing capacity of my truck should be? Thanks...
  • Never mind... it's in the glovebox..
  • gmcustsvcsarahgmcustsvcsarah Posts: 1,964
    Glad you found it, mdetreville. I did pull your VIN up in our systems here, though, and see that you have an open safety recall on your vehicle (pertains to the electrical outside rear view mirror switch). I just wanted to make sure you knew it was there, and if we can help you get an appointment set up to take are of that, let us know via email (socialmedia@gm.com).

All the best,
    Sarah
    GM Customer Service
  • steverstever Viva Las CrucesPosts: 41,902
    A reporter would like to speak to someone who recently bought a used large truck or large SUV. If you have purchased a used large truck or SUV in the past 6 months, and you are willing to discuss your decision with a reporter, please email PR@edmunds.com no later than 1 p.m. Pacific/ 4 p.m. Eastern Wednesday, April 18, 2012 with your daytime contact information.

Minivan fan. Feel free to message or email me - stever@edmunds.com.

14567810»