Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Chevy Silverado and GMC Sierra Trailer and Towing Questions

Comments

• gmcustsvcgmcustsvc Posts: 4,005
    If you can provide me with your VIN I can look into that information for you.
    Christina
    GM Customer Service
  • Christina, I would appreciate that so much. I found out my camper bumper tow is about 9200lb wet. Here is my VIN. 2GTFK13Y971609095

Thank you so much for any help.

Kevin
    Kevin,
    It looks like the maximum towing capacity is about 10,500lbs. There should be a sticker, I believe it is in the glove box with the max trailering weight. I hope this helps.
    Christina
    GM Customer Service
  • Christina, I appreciate your time and info. I guess to be more specific in what I am needing is the true values on my truck. Curb weight, cargo capacity, etc. I am not sure if these specs are available or not. I have all the gross weights just not actuals. I am wanting to know what I can pull legally and safely.

Thank you for any info you can provide.

Kevin
  • KCRam@EdmundsKCRam@Edmunds Mt. Arlington NJPosts: 3,497
    Best thing to do is to go to a truck stop and get weighed with a full tank of fuel. That's the only way to know what your truck weighs and how much capacity is left from the gross ratings.

kcram - Pickups/Wagons Host

KCRam - Pickups/Wagons/Vans+Minivans Moderator

• dave925dave925 Posts: 1
    Hi, i have a 2006 gmc sierra 4x4,last year i hooked up the wiresfor a four pin trailer harness to the factory harness that was on the truck, they worked great, this year when i plugged the trailer back in i had power to everything but the right turn/brake light, thinking it might be the four pin harness i wired direct to the wire on the truck, {a dark green wire}, and found that there is no power going through it, any ideas as to why it worked last year and not this year, thanks
    dave925,
    I would recommend having the vehicle looked at by your authorized GM dealer. They should be able to assist you in finding out what is causing your concerns. Please keep me updated on your situation.
    Christina
    GM Customer Service
  • camper10camper10 Posts: 2
    I have a 2011 chevy 2500 with factory installed trailer brake controller. It works fine with one of my trailers but with another it does not sense that a trailer is connected and so doesn't work. How does the truck sense that a trailer is connected? Thanks!
  • chuck1chuck1 Posts: 1,405
    The brake controller may not be compatible depending on how the trailer brakes are wired . You can rewire the brakes on the trailer to make them work. Do a google search for more info. Obviously, you have trailers with two different wiring patterns.
  • camper10camper10 Posts: 2
    You're right, I did have to rewire the trailer but not due to different wiring patterns. There were corroded connections at the axle and once I found those it works great. Thanks for the post.
  • brooks44brooks44 Posts: 1
    Getting my 2001 Silverado 1500 ready for hunting season. I'm having a problem with my tow wiring. Using a tester, I realized that when my daytime running lights are on, my turn signals work fine, but as soon as I flip over to regular headlights, I don't have any turn signals. Anybody have a suggestions regarding my issue? Never towed anything with this truck before (I bought it last year). Thanks for any and all help:)
  • bcouv1bcouv1 Posts: 2
    I have a similar issue. I have a 2006 Silverado 1500. When my trailer is connected and my headlights are on, my cruise control does not work, and my right signal will not work. Everything works fine when just the headlight switch is set for automatic.
    Bcouv1,

Were you planning on taking the vehicle to your dealership? Please keep me posted when the issue has been taken care of.

Thank you,
    Caron, GM Customer Service
  • My question is for gmcustsvc, I have an 05' sierra hd with the trailer package. my dealership installed brake controller stopped working so i replaced it with a new one. i have no trailer brakes at the back of the truck trailer connector. My question is , do the trailer leads work as a negative or a positive lead in otherwords should my test light have one end on the negative as i have been doing, or should i be testing off the positive (hot)side, also, are there any other fuses beside the ones behind the driverside tailight. thanks for any help you can give me.
    barrail,
    Can you send me your contact info and VIN as well as your question in an email? I look forward to your response.
    Christina
    GM Customer Service
  • Hi Christina, my vin# is 1GTHK29285E104548 and I am not sure how to give you my contact info since edmunds discourages posting my E-mail in a message. Heres what I 've discovered so far. brake lights work on the truck, but not on the trailer connection. At the trailer connection I have everything except brake lights. all fuses look good, brake lights on truck even work with brake controller. found two 7.5 amp fuses behind drivers rear tail light,b dirty but intact. The connection under the dash for the brake controller tests fine. Could there be another fuse some where? thanks
  • KCRam@EdmundsKCRam@Edmunds Mt. Arlington NJPosts: 3,497
    click on "gmcustsvc" in the header of that post and the profile will come up with the email address to reach them.

kcram - Pickups/Wagons/Vans+Minivans Host

KCRam - Pickups/Wagons/Vans+Minivans Moderator

• barrailbarrail Posts: 27
    Having attempted to access the e-mail address, something in my computer would not allow me to.
  • Here's my issue - I trailer 3 horses with my 2008 Silverado 3500 dually - 6.6L Turbo diesel - I have a fully aluminum Hart LQ gooseneck trailer. Here's the 'problem' - when braking (typically coming to a stop sign or light) I often experience a back and forth lurching of the vehicle and trailer. It is not a brake pedal pulsation - I feel if more through the entire vehicle. If I depress the brake pedal really hard it will typically moderate, or go away entirely. If I'm in the 'Tow-Haul' mode it is usually felt less than when I do not have this engaged.
    Is this an issue of the amount of weight I am towing? A brake issue? Is this all normal when towing a rig like this?