Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Chevy Silverado and GMC Sierra Trailer and Towing Questions

Comments

• I just purchased a 2007 Sierra 1500 ext cab 2 wd with a tow package. Where do I look to find whether it is an 800 or 900? I need to know before I add airlift suspension. I failed to get the camper mirrors option and now need something to add on for the occassional towing. Has anyone had real success with any of those strap-on or form-fitted etc mirrors? Would you recogmend any certain brand or type? Any recomendations on airlift? I'm pulling a light(7700LBS loaded) 5th wheel (50 miles 2 or 3 times a year)
  • My son-in-law is pulling a 5th wheel camper with his pickup equipped with a gooseneck ball with an adapter between. I was going to do the same but didn't think it looked as safe. Also the adapters have warnings that they can cause damage to the trailer. I could probably get by alright with mine because I don't tow that much but I'm still opting for the 5th wheel . My son-in-law tows alot. Has anyone had problems with the gooseneck adapter setup?
  • I've got a short somewhere in my steering column of my '00 Silverado. I started disassembling my steering wheel, the housing around the column, and the torx screws in the back of the wheel and it started working. When I started putting it back together it stopped. I don't know how to get my wheel apart completely so I can find the horn switch and work from there. Anyone know how?
  • Not sure if I can be too much help, but I have taken my steering column apart, and put it back together successfully for a turn signal/hazard blinker issue. It was a while ago, so I may have forgotten some steps. However, if I remember correctly, once you get the torx screws out of the back, the airbag assembly comes out, exposing the two rings that operate the horn. The horn is engaged by pushing on the airbag assembly which has either a ring on the back of it, or a contact which touches another ring on the steering column. It is possible that something has gotten out of alignment with those two rings and that there is not a short, rather just a simple re-alignment or cleaning job needed. If it is a short, good luck, because there is quite a bit of wiring in there. It maybe simple to trace the horn wires though. I couldn't tell you because that wasn't my focus at the time. I don't think you'll have any trouble getting into the steering column though. Hope I'm remembering everything correctly. If I get a moment, I'll re-enter my steering column and reply again if no one else has. Hope I was some help at least.
    GOOD LUCK!
  • As far as mirrors are concerned you will have good luck with the Cipa brand....I have used these for years on my van and Silverardo truck. You might even find a used pair on E-bay.
  • I do not have the +12 vdc at the trailer connector. I'm sure that it's fused but I can not seem to find it in the owners manual. Any suggestions on where the fuse is or any other possible ideas?
  • The new body style is the 900...
  • Dears
    I have 2008 silverado HD 2500 LT and i install the GM original navigation system but i had some problem with the sound its not that loud what used to be ( my speaker is not BOSS ) , and how to install the real camera if there is no direct input for it .
  • Hi, I have just bought a 1993 Silverado 2WD model with 5.7 L V8 and 3.42 rear, Auto trans. Where can I find the tow rating or GCWR ? The GVWR is 10,000#
  • I have a Silveraldo 2500HD. 6.0l V8.

My trailer is 6300lbs my Kubota is 11,683lbs

Can i pull this with a fifth wheel?
  • GM site has the 5th wheel capacity on the 6.0 with 3.73 gears as 12200-12700 depending on cab and wheelbase. Which model Kubota are you towing, L-series or larger? With a machine that heavy, I'd imagine you need a tri axle trailer? I don't think the diesel on the 2500hd could pull it either. The 3500 series with the dual rear wheels and 5th wheel max out around 15K. You might be able to pull it off. Just remember, under certain condition you might be able to do it with your current rig, but not legally. If anything went wrong, you would be a world of trouble with a tow vehicle not able to handle the load. I'm talking legally and physically. You have to be able to stop the darn thing. So often I hear of guys pulling too much weight. Remember from high school physics class, an object in motion tends to stay in motion. Be safe. Better to contract out the tow than put yourself in harms way.
  • KCRamKCRam Mt. Arlington NJPosts: 3,516
    I agree completely with asylum. My Ram 3500 DRW with Cummins and 3.73s maxes at 13,000 pounds. The Kubota and trailer should be behind a class 6 that won't notice them.

kcram - Pickups Host
  • newfoundnewfound Posts: 2
    I was wondering if you got a resolution to this problem. I am having a similar one with my 2003 2500 Sierra. A trailer dealer told me that this is a common problem especially with the 03's and it goes back to the clock spring in the steering column. So I am interested in finding out if yours was resolved with the hazard flasher as others had suggested.
  • yerardicyerardic Posts: 1
    I am hoping someone could help me out. I have a 2003 Chevy Silverado, and I am having a problem with my horn. When I turn my steering wheel it wheel let out an intermittent honk or a prolonged honk. It just does it intermittently. Does anyone have any suggestions as to what could be the problem?
  • obyoneobyone Posts: 8,065
    Sounds like some frayed wiring in your steering wheel causing the wires to make contact when you turn thus enabling the horn. Looks like you're going to have to take apart that steering wheel.
  • I have a 2008 Chevy Silverado 6.0 vortex, 3.73, with trailer/towing package, 5th wheel hitch. Can I tow a 13000 lb 5th wheel? If not, which truck would you recommend? Thanks for all the help. :confuse:
  • what is better...... i have a 1988 1500 sierra long box, and want to put a camper on it, the camper is older and weighs about 800 lbs, our vehicle weighs about 6000 lbs. we do not know what the gvwr for our truck is, as it was removed from the door, if someone else has a truck like ours, could you let us know what it is...we want to know if we should put 1 or 2 leaves as we already have 4 on each side, or should we go with the air bags?
  • I have an 03 2500 with 496 (8.1) and Allison and 3.73's that is rated to pull 13,000 lb. 5th wheel. I don't think your drivetrain combo is rated for that. And since the mfgs. gave up on gas big blocks (except Ford's V10) you're looking at diesel nowadays to get that rating and more.
  • I had a 89 Chevy "light" 2500 with the 7200 GVW. It had a six lugs. I don't know the GVW of the 1500. Are you sure about the 6000lb weight of your truck? Even with the extended cab your truck should have an empty weight of no more than 5000lbs. Were you factoring in passengers and gear with that 6000?
    I'm no expert, but I would go with the helper springs/extra leaves if you were going to leave the camper on the truck the majority of the time. If you were to take the camper off often, I would go with the air bags, that way you wouldn't have such a rough ride without the camper.
  • I have a 2006 GMC Sierra 1500 Crew Cab with the Vortec MAX Performance packgage. My owner's manual indicates that the 1500 Crew Cab is not designed for or intended to be used for 5th wheel towing. Does anyone know the design restrictions of the truck that prevents it from being able to tow a 5th wheel trailer?

My owner's manual containes a list of GM truck towing capacities and the 1500 crew cab is only model that has this 5th wheel restriction.
  • quarquequarque Posts: 41
    I had the same question a while back when I was considering the Denali for towing. I noticed the GMC website had blanks for any Crew Cab model when it came to 5th wheels. So I did some poking around on the net and it seems that the issue is not weight or towing ability, it is space. The bed is too short for standard setups. But there appears to be some special hitches you can put in the bed that slide and let you get around the space problem. There are rumors that putting a 5th wheel on a CC model voids the warranty. I doubt that is true but who knows. I'm sure you will get a different answer from every dealer.

If someone has more info on this topic please post it.
  • Thanks for the input. I spoke with an RV dealer who suggested that a "slider hitch" is required to pull a fifth wheel with a GM crew cab short bed. Apparently, a slider hitch adjust forward for road towing and then adjust toward the back of the bed for backing/turning. I have emailed with GM customer service but they will not confirm or deny the existence of a "slider hitch", nor confirm or deny if it will safely and mechanically resolve the problem without damage to the truck, nor confirm or deny if it will void the vehicle warranty. They did however confirm that a GM crew cab shortbed is not designed nor intended to tow a fifth wheel trailer and they also indicated that there is not a fix to solve the problem. They confirmed that the problem is solely with the lack of horizontal space between the cab and the placement of where the kingpin hitch should be installed. I certainly do not want to damage my truck or risk safety so if there is anyone else out there that can further clarify if a slider hitch is a safe and mechanically sound solution to allow fifth wheel towing with a GM crew cab short bed - I would love to hear from you.
  • quarquequarque Posts: 41
    Will GM confirm or deny the existence of a truck? lol :)

I hate it when companies do this kind of BS. I'm sure there are people out there with sliders in a CC model towing just fine. You only need to slide it back when the trailer is making an angle more than xx degrees with the truck. Otherwise the trailer will hit the cab. Depending on how "pointy" the trailer front end is, I bet most of the time you don't even need to slide it. It must have a pretty decent clearance otherwise you'd have to slide it every time you went around a corner.

On another note, I found the 1500 series a little lacking on the payload rating for fifth wheelers. Ones I considered had a hitch weight of 1200+ pounds. Most are over 900 pounds. After you add the passengers and gear you can easily go over 1500 pounds. You might consider the 2500 series - much better suited for 5th wheels. I ended up going with a traditional trailer.
  • triker57triker57 Posts: 1
    I hooked up an electric brake controller to my 2008 silverado, also hooked the two wires under the hood to the battery. when I plug in my camper, and turn on the parking lights, the right side camper brake light is on constant, when not stepping on the brake. the left side is working fine. my 2004 silverado when hooked to camper was working fine.could the brake controller be cross wired or installed inproperly??? or is the seven pin plug different on the 08 than on the 04??? can any one answer this or have a suggestion to the problem.
    thanks
    triker57
  • davethecarnutdavethecarnut Posts: 248
    A company called Pull-Rite makes a hitch that "automatically" slides as you drive.
    I wouldn't get too crazy with pulling 5th wheels with a half ton. Unless it's those short ones ( no more than 24 ft.). Having a crew cab already lowers the amount your truck can tow anyway.
    Google Pull-Rite and see if they make a hitch for your truck. I know they make one for those shortbed Dodges.
  • mheggiemheggie Posts: 1
    I take it by reading all these post, that a brake controller does not come installed with the truck when ordered with a tow package? I have a 03 1500HD Quadrasteer. I guess I will have to install a electric brake controller to use the electric brakes on a trailer? Do brake controllers ever come included with a tow package? By hooking it up to the harness, it used the electric brake wire through the 7-way connector to use the brakes?

Any clarification will help.

Thanks
  • davethecarnutdavethecarnut Posts: 248
    Ford has a factory controller and I think Dodge will have one on the 09's.
    If you have the factory tow package, just buy a controller with the connector for GM trucks in your year and all ya gotta do is plug it into the harness under the driver's dash next to the steering column. Yes, it's just a plug in. At least it was for my 03 GMC.
    I don't know what these guys are doing with connecting wires to batteries,etc.
    Factory tow pkg. Simple plug in.
    I bought a Prodigy controller.
  • branhapbranhap Posts: 10
    GM does offer a factory brake controller. It was an installed option on my truck. *shrug*

But it is an add-on in addition to the tow package.
  • ebrabhamebrabham Posts: 1
    I have an 03 Silverado z71.It has a3.73 rear axle and 4.8 liter engine.It does not have the factory tow package and therefor no transmission cooler.Does anyone know if this will be a problem pulling a 4000# camper trailer?
    Thanks for your help.
    ed
  • I have a 2004 Silverado /w towing package. I started having a problem with my left trailer brake light not working. The blinker works fine. I tried another trailer with the same results. I checked for voltage and there was none for the left brake coming out of the trucks factory towing package connector. Occasionaly it does work. I tried a jumper but it did not work right so I took it out and then it started working only to stop working later. It was working tonight and then stopped. I was parked in the drive way so there was no vibration. Is there a board that this goes into that could be bad. This is all right from the factory and I have never had a problem before. I use an electric brake control modual. Can anyone help me?