Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Chevy Silverado and GMC Sierra Trailer and Towing Questions

Comments

• i cant find the wires under the dash panel can anyone tell me how to connect the wires and where can i find it thanks
  • maxummaxum Posts: 3
    I have a 2003 Chevy Silverado 1500 Classic. In January I will be leaving for Tennessee in the mountains...My rear end is basic and one wheel is always spinning in the rain.. What can I do to get better performance in the snow/rain/sleet.
    Other than using chains only when necessary. Should I look at changing the rear end/differential to a positive traction?
    My truck is in new condition and only has 10,000 miles on it.
  • KCRam@EdmundsKCRam@Edmunds Mt. Arlington NJPosts: 3,496
    Either a limited-slip (posi) or an aftermarket locker that has a manual switch so that you can control when it's in use.

kcram - Pickups Host

KCRam - Pickups/Wagons/Vans+Minivans Moderator

• maxummaxum Posts: 3
    Thank You for your suggestion... Do you know how I can learn more about what you suggested. Like a web site or books. What type of shop would you recommend I go to...
    I live in central Florida at this time.
  • KCRam@EdmundsKCRam@Edmunds Mt. Arlington NJPosts: 3,496
    A search on "locking differential", both here at Edmunds and on the web (Google, Yahoo, MSN) will give you lots of information.

kcram - Pickups Host

KCRam - Pickups/Wagons/Vans+Minivans Moderator

• If it's not too late, let me suggest purchasing your hazard light module at ROCKAUTO.com. I had my hazard lights go out, and since I often stop to help motorist in my area, I needed something. When I found out that the module itself was $350.00 from the dealership, I ordered strobe lights and installed them myself for $120.00. That not only fixed that problem, but also added slightly to the cool factor. However, recently, when looking for O2 sensors, I found this site (rockauto.com) and priced the Hazard light system at around $190 w/o cruise or $220.00 with cruise. The installation itself isn't too hard if you're comfortable taking your car apart and don't mind setting off the horn a few times. Scared the you know what out of me a few times as I'm grabbing a wire and the horn went off. Once you get the steering column apart, there are two ribbon connectors that you pull off, remove the entire switch assembly and then reverse the process. Will probably take you between an hour and 1 1/2 hours.
  • have you had any luck,when you sit in the driver seat were your left foot is there is a black box just above your toe undo the nut take the cover off it kinda has some clips on the side,looking inside the top left receptacle is for the trailer brake to plug in,my 01 didn`t come with the tow pacage so i had a heck of a time my buddys 05 was a plug and play he had the tow pac just no contoller,you will have to put the fuse for the brake in the fuse box under the hood,you should be able to order the pigtail to plug to the 03 to the controller,trying to wire on your own,,,i wired in a protege 4 wire it wired black hot24/7the red hooks to brake lite only hot on appl,white ground,blue trailer brakes,,big tip the plug to fit you trk is a good buy save you lots of headache
  • I have a 2004 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD. It has 25,000 miles and I bought it used. Found out after the fact that the Transmission had been replaced. Carfax was used but it didn't show up. I have the toys listed in the title and was wondering if I should always use the tow mode or just when working the Truck harder like pulling hills and such? Truck has a Temperature gage, heavy duty cooling for Tranny. But they lost the first one for some reason and I don't want the new one to go out. I did buy a extended warranty. That will help but who wants the hassle? Not much in manual about how to use tow mode and I have never had a rig with Tow Mode.
  • I always use the tow mode when pulling trailers. I have pulled small boats, small and medium sized pop up campers and a large travel trailer with my truck. I can't tell the difference on the small stuff but it seems to make a difference on the heavy travel trailer. I think you'll pay a little more for gas by using the tow mode but it's probably good insurance against damaging or burning up a tranny. BTW, a 2800 lb boat or camper isn't small. Especially if it's the empty weight. All the tackle, coolers (full of good beer and ice), and other misc stuff add up fast.
  • I just purchased a 2007 Sierra 1500 ext cab 2 wd with a tow package. Where do I look to find whether it is an 800 or 900? I need to know before I add airlift suspension. I failed to get the camper mirrors option and now need something to add on for the occassional towing. Has anyone had real success with any of those strap-on or form-fitted etc mirrors? Would you recogmend any certain brand or type? Any recomendations on airlift? I'm pulling a light(7700LBS loaded) 5th wheel (50 miles 2 or 3 times a year)
  • My son-in-law is pulling a 5th wheel camper with his pickup equipped with a gooseneck ball with an adapter between. I was going to do the same but didn't think it looked as safe. Also the adapters have warnings that they can cause damage to the trailer. I could probably get by alright with mine because I don't tow that much but I'm still opting for the 5th wheel . My son-in-law tows alot. Has anyone had problems with the gooseneck adapter setup?
  • I've got a short somewhere in my steering column of my '00 Silverado. I started disassembling my steering wheel, the housing around the column, and the torx screws in the back of the wheel and it started working. When I started putting it back together it stopped. I don't know how to get my wheel apart completely so I can find the horn switch and work from there. Anyone know how?
  • Not sure if I can be too much help, but I have taken my steering column apart, and put it back together successfully for a turn signal/hazard blinker issue. It was a while ago, so I may have forgotten some steps. However, if I remember correctly, once you get the torx screws out of the back, the airbag assembly comes out, exposing the two rings that operate the horn. The horn is engaged by pushing on the airbag assembly which has either a ring on the back of it, or a contact which touches another ring on the steering column. It is possible that something has gotten out of alignment with those two rings and that there is not a short, rather just a simple re-alignment or cleaning job needed. If it is a short, good luck, because there is quite a bit of wiring in there. It maybe simple to trace the horn wires though. I couldn't tell you because that wasn't my focus at the time. I don't think you'll have any trouble getting into the steering column though. Hope I'm remembering everything correctly. If I get a moment, I'll re-enter my steering column and reply again if no one else has. Hope I was some help at least.
    GOOD LUCK!
  • As far as mirrors are concerned you will have good luck with the Cipa brand....I have used these for years on my van and Silverardo truck. You might even find a used pair on E-bay.
  • I do not have the +12 vdc at the trailer connector. I'm sure that it's fused but I can not seem to find it in the owners manual. Any suggestions on where the fuse is or any other possible ideas?
  • The new body style is the 900...
  • Dears
    I have 2008 silverado HD 2500 LT and i install the GM original navigation system but i had some problem with the sound its not that loud what used to be ( my speaker is not BOSS ) , and how to install the real camera if there is no direct input for it .
  • Hi, I have just bought a 1993 Silverado 2WD model with 5.7 L V8 and 3.42 rear, Auto trans. Where can I find the tow rating or GCWR ? The GVWR is 10,000#
  • I have a Silveraldo 2500HD. 6.0l V8.

My trailer is 6300lbs my Kubota is 11,683lbs

Can i pull this with a fifth wheel?