Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Mazda MX-5 Miata Transmission Problems

Comments

• I have a 90 Miata. I am trying to install the center console and shift boot. The shifter is not centered in the hole on the floor board. It is far left of the hole. Is there a way to move the transmission. The motor mounts are good. Help??
  • mazdaman3mazdaman3 Posts: 12
    I've got a '99 Miata 5-speed with 45,000 miles. I bought it last summer with 40,000 miles, and learned to drive a manual on it. Anyway, I started off to work today, and everything was fine until I got to 4th gear at about 45mph, and especially in fifth gear, the car started feeling more and more underpowered. Almost like the clutch was slipping and not connecting to the flywheel. My rpm’s at 60 are higher than I remember, and when I give it some gas, it is very sluggish, the engine revved slowly but my speed didn't accelerate like it should have. Any thoughts/suggestions?
    Also, how much damage do you think I did and how much do you think the car had when I got it? (I ask this because if I'm the one damaging it, I may just get a new car, because I don’t want to just turn around and replace it in another 5k.) Thanks for your help.
  • erics6erics6 Posts: 684
    Doesn't sound like a tranny issue to me. Check your clutch for slippage. http://www.ehow.com/how_7687_diagnose-slipping-clutch.html Then, get a good independent mechanic to check it out.
  • bigbozer1bigbozer1 Posts: 4
    My 1999 10th Anniversary 6-speed spins at 3000 RPM at 60 mph. That is normal. My Lexus ES300 spins at less than 2000 RPM at 60 mph, but then it is a bigger engine. I once had a 1991 Honda prelude with a high revving engine. My wife thouight it was a "slower" car than the Miata simply because the RPMs were high but the engine was strained even at higher RPMs. :surprise: :D
  • speedy25speedy25 Posts: 10
    Thank you.
    Speedy
  • speedy25speedy25 Posts: 10
    Thanks for your help!
    Speedy
  • ateixeiraateixeira Posts: 72,587
    So even 6th gear isn't tall. That's interesting. I guess they're just 6 closer ratios, vs. the 5 speed.
  • mitchomitcho Posts: 1
    Ok im 17 and looking at a automatic 1990 with, 84,000. I had two adults test drive the vehicle and they both relized that the car if u give it gas it wouldnt do much than as you give it more it would over react, they described it like "snappy" or "jerky" and wasnt exactly smoot. I've had several opinion on this and some say its just how the car is. Others say this is a serious issue. If anything its the transmittion im assured. Im just looking for several more opinions, and also im going to test a 96 auto with 139k:)
    The autos in 1990 had more torque but less peak HP than the models with manuals. It should be smoother than you describe, i.e. less peaky than my manual.

I'd avoid that one.

The '96 has a bigger, 1.8l engine with more torque, and should be a better match for the automatic.
  • eddygooeddygoo Posts: 3
    Didn't use A/C till I had about 1,000 miles on my new 2007 MX5 GT. At idle or at slow speeds between 1st/2nd and 2nd/3rd gears there is a noisy rattling sound. Reminds me of a bad clutch throwout bearing, except when clutch pedal is depressed the sound diminishes. At first I thought it sounded like a loose pulley, or a dry bearing. When A/C is turned on the noise greatly increases. Dealer kept it for a day, said it was Transmission Gear Roll Over Noise. Said I'd just have to live with it. It's a normal condition. I contacted Mazda but they never answered my emails nor phone calls. Like the guy said, guess I'll just have to live with it.
  • I recently changed the trans fluid and filter on my 1996 Miata. As I was refilling the tranny, I found it very difficult to read the tranny dipstick to determine when the fluid was at the proper level. So I went to the owners manual for help. It said the tranny hold 6.8 US quarts. That sounds like way to much. I only put in 3.5 quarts guessing that I was reading the dipstick correctly. It seems to be shifting fine. Does any one know the definite correct amount of fluid that should go in after this service?
    I have a 93 and it took less than 4 quarts.

Disclaimer: yours may be different, the engine changed in 94.
  • about 7 months ago i came into possession of a 91 miata manual, not tso days after owning it i noticed something odd with the clutch, it just wouldnt stick, so i ordered a replacement, and within about 4 hours had it swapped out, it ran great, you could catch rubber all the way to 3rd gear. well about a month later i began to notice the same thing happenning again. so i figured let a certified mech do it. well a week and 800 bucks later, the car had a new flywheel clutch kit the whole nine yards, except the release fork and slave cyclinder, so on an so forth, well now im here today and the damn thing is beginning to slip again. i cant figure out what the hell is wrong. help
    You're laying rubber down in THIRD gear?

My 93 can't do it at all. Do you have a turbo or supercharger?

Sounds to me like you probably have much more than stock levels of power and you're letting the clutch absorb a lot of abuse.
  • and see thats it, i havent done any major mods to the car, just an air intake atomizer and performance ignition, other than that its all 91 stock, i just cant figure out why its eating clutches, it ate the first two before i ever even added the ignition set up, though the first clutch was an oem 91 clutch
    Wow, these things make something like 99hp at the wheels, and that's on a good day. I was surprised to read that.

Avoid hard starts and try to match revs when you downshift, I suppose.

Does it slip when you baby it, i.e. under normal (slow) starts?
  • well i would say moderate gas push and it will slip, id say about a third of the gas pedals distance and it will slip, but now even weirder, ive noticed it only slips when the shifter shaft is hot, when the tranny is cold it grips like a champ. but as soon as it gets hot i have no mainstream acceleration, clutch just spins over, but as soon as you let off the gas, it catches quick
  • Hi I get a popping noise at the left rear wheel when braking. I cganged boyh axles and it did not fix it but it does roll smoother down the road and I serviced the rear differential.
  • mx5elimx5eli Posts: 1
    I'm having the same problem with my 93 miata. I've had the clutch replaced a couple times and the master cylinder for the clutch fluid. But yet it contains to slip when the car warm. If the engine is still cool drives like a champ. Have you figured out the problem yet.
  • deh2620deh2620 Posts: 1
    My 6-speed xmission doesn't seem to shift well. With only 35k, it's hardly worn out and has, in my view, never really shifted smoothly. It particularly doesn't like to shift quickly and often is hard to shift into 2nd. If I step on it in first and try to shift into second, it often doesn't synch well - particularly if it is cold. Is this an unusual problem? Do I have a lemon, or is this normal?