Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

BMW 3-Series Starting Problems

Comments

• bobos6bobos6 Posts: 1
    Just purchased 325i for 27k with 12k miles and love it ,except for starter but want m3 now, can any one suggest most economical transition to obtaining 2005 or 2006 m3.That is 2006 325i for a m3 2005/2006 with 30-40kmiles.At dealer what will I likely experience?
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright CaliforniaPosts: 44,416
    Your best bet would be to sell the 325 privately, not trade it in; otherwise you'll take a substantial hit on value IMO--unless you absolutely stole the 325.

You might visit our True Market Value calculator and see where you stand. TMV

• I have a 2006 325i with 25,000 miles, bought it brand new in 2005. I have been having problems starting it over the course of the last year starting in sept 08. The brake gets hard & doesn't start. I have taken it to the dealers and they did some work on it (originally they couldn't duplicate the prblm so they never did anything), was OK for a while and then started having problems again. The warranty will expire next month and am worried it's not gonna get fixed before my warranty expires. Any suggestions?
  • i'm having the same problem. did you get yours fixed?
  • No, the dealer could not find anything wrong with it. I just learned to deal with it.
    Please stop posting repeated duplicates of your problem. They should be posted only in BMW 335 topics, and only once is sufficient for comments and responses.

Visiting Host

• bmlexusbmlexus Posts: 755
    Where is that post now and where can I read it :confuse:

Since u have deleted it, now I am unable to know where it is.

Sometimes a repeated post can be useful
  • srs_49srs_49 Posts: 1,394
    It's one thing to post to one or two threads - for instance a model specific one and the maintenance and repair one for some troubleshooting/repair advice. It's another to just spam the post to half dozen or more topics.
    I understand, but l your regular host and I thought 14X a bit much for our members.

Here's the original post:

BMW FIRE REPORTED

• I apologize for the multiple postings. I was looking to the forum to figure out if anyone else is having the same issue with their BMW 335xi or 335i bursting into flames with only 20K miles. I was looking for feedback not trying to spam.

Thanks for the note.
  • It was my starter. The dealer said the only time a fault doesn't come up when the car doesn't start it's the starter. they pulled the starter and found it was bad.
  • My 2002 3-Series developed an intermittent starting problem. Turning the key, all instrument lights come on, but the starter won't turn. Battery is OK, starter is OK.

For awhile, if I try to start it repeatedly, it eventually starts. Until recently it degenerated, I tried for 20 mins straight and it still won't start. So I called AAA to get it towed.

The driver came and tried to start it, played with a few things and it started right up. He told me that somehow the anti-theft system is not getting the signal it needs, so it cuts the ignition off. The driver armed and unarmed the alarm a few times, and it seems to have "unjammed" the anti-theft. He recommended that I replace the battery in my key, which may cause this problem.

Has anyone seen and solved this type of problem before?
  • bossman7bossman7 Posts: 1
    I am considering purchasing a 330 BMW CI with 37700 miles, any problems with that year I should be aware of? Any recommendations?
  • kyfdxkyfdx Posts: 27,671
    The '06 330Ci (coupe or convertible?) was the last year for the E46 coupe.. It was a 7-year run for one of the best BMWs, ever..

Is the car still under warranty/maintenance plan? You'll have to know the in-service date to find out..

Common maintenance issues are control arm bushings... The car shouldn't go "klunk" over bumps... if it does, looking at half a thousand..

Prices Paid, Lease Questions, SUVs

• roadburnerroadburner Posts: 6,301
    Try to find a car with the Performance Package(ZHP). It's virtually a cult car among hard-core Bimmer addicts- and with good reason.

2009 328i / 2004 X3 2.5/ 1995 318ti Club Sport/ 1975 2002A/ 2007 Mazdaspeed 3/ 1999 Wrangler/ 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica

• My 2000 BMW 328i wont start, Battery, starter, alternator all good. Replaced the ignition switch, tumbler, and code reader ( that black plastic ring on the tumbler assembly) and still no luck. All lights and everytything works when the key is on but no juice to the starter. I don't know where to go from here. I need some help to do this myself as I do not live anywhere near a BMW shop.
  • geointgeoint Posts: 1
    Our 2002 BMW 330CI just did the exact same thing... The anti-theft/key problem. I almost had it towed as well. Bottom line - keep an extra key with...
    Ours came with the plastic wallet key, the valet key, and the 2 larger battery keys. The pure plastic key is in my wallet now... (Never leave home without it...)
  • mailbox20mailbox20 Posts: 4
    I finally took mine to the BMW shop. It turned out to be the ECM (the module that tells the brain that the code reader has read the right code for that car). Every time I take the car to the shop its always $600 to fix it. Is it a BMW thing or what. I will never own another BMW as soon as I can find someone to buy this POS from me. Thought they were built well and reliable but I have found out that the 3 series was made to be a cheap line of cars.
  • roadburnerroadburner Posts: 6,301
    edited July 2011
    Thought they were built well and reliable but I have found out that the 3 series was made to be a cheap line of cars.

Exactly; my 1995 3 series has run up maintenance and repair costs that amount to an unbelievable five cents per mile over the 16 years that I have owned it. To top things off, I've taken to two HPDEs this year and each time it has only managed to return 15 mpg on the track. What a disappointment...

2009 328i / 2004 X3 2.5/ 1995 318ti Club Sport/ 1975 2002A/ 2007 Mazdaspeed 3/ 1999 Wrangler/ 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica

• try the ignition switch.. its found in the steering column i believe