Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

BMW 3-Series Starting Problems

1235»

Comments

• Update 55936: We had the blizzard last night and the 330i was covered in snow and ice, and in the high 20s outside - it was parked outside for about 18 hours after I high idled it to recharge, and the car started up after 2 slow cranks and then 3 faster ones...as I had to dig out and de-ice/snow the Bimmer and the old Benz outside, I kept both cars on and turned the low heater setting on the BMW to dislodge the ice while shoveling the street and sidewalk.

Then after about 20 minutes, I jumped into the 330i and idled at 2000RPM for about 4 to 5 minutes. Tomorrow the wife and will go out to the trunk to read the indicator again as I am a bit color blind - it's either light green or yellow (I know it's not black)...if yellow I will replace ASAP. If it's green I will take the car on a long highway trip to see if the starting action snaps back into strong --
    Will update. Tonight it's hitting 18F around here so if it starts tomorrow I know I will get to the Stealer or Autozone before a jump or tow.
  • 5539655396 Posts: 529
    edited February 2013
    Here is a You Tube video on replacing a battery in a 2001 E46 but gives you the idea. $120.

link title</a
  • 155 bucks plus core if I go to Autozone, 248 plus 120 labor plus taxes if Stealer...
    $90 to $142 here but I didn't check details.

https://www.google.com/search?tbm=shop&q=battery+48/H6#q=battery+48/H6&hl=en&tbs- =p_ord:p&tbm=shop&sa=X&ei=nCUXUe3vFKTR2QXSvIHAAQ&ved=0CC0Quw0oAQ&bav=on.2,or.r_g- c.r_pw.r_qf.&bvm=bv.42080656,d.b2I&fp=d3ac23762ef5e591&biw=1014&bih=548

More things I found.

I believe that Johnson Controls is phasing out the old group 48 battery and replacing it with this design, designated as an H6 battery. At least the Wal-Mart battery catalog says that the group 48 battery is being phased out. No stock on the old-style group 48 battery at either Wal-Mart here, only the newer H6 battery.

That design has shown up at Wal-Mart. It says "Distributed by Johnson Controls" on it. I've seen that design before; it looks like a Varta battery (Varta is owned by Johnson Controls).

Varta is a major OEM for the German car companies. Almost every Audi I've ever seen had one installed at the factory.
  • fedlawmanfedlawman Posts: 3,118
    I went to sears last summer and bought their gel battery for my 318i. It's made by Odyssey and has excellent reviews as well. I think I paid about $150 and I installed it in the parking lot.
  • Last night it went to 18F and at 2 P.M. @ 30F the car started up with only one slow crank and two fast ones - first my wife helped me with seeing the color code in the indicator eye, and she says it's dark black (I must have been focusing on the clear around it... So should that mean it will be okay for now as long as I keep it charged up, or should I be replacing - Advanced Auto Parts has a Gold high cold amp battery for 135 for the 2006 330i Sedan, and a guy across the street from them has a scanning tool for install he says - quoted 20 bucks. Drive with black or replace now for hundreds better than Stealer?

TGGary
  • Today when weather cleared here in NYC area I went to Advanced Auto parts - they tested the Battery and the readings while car off: Voltage: 12.49, CCA Measurement: 497 CCA, Battery Rated: 640 CCA

Results: Battery Is Good., Low on charge, Charge Battery. Check for causes of low charge: Charging System/Alternator, Alternator Belt, Cables and Connections.

I do take too many very short trips and haven't driven it much on the highway for months, so that could be the issue.

So, after the highway drive to AAP, car started right up and I drove it across the street to get it charged. Ofcourse, a slow trickle is the best bet so we discussed it and agreed a charger purchase would be best. Called BMW of Bayside - want 145 bucks for a 2 hour charge (not even a slow charge) and 145 bucks to get the radio code which is gone somehow (bought it at an Infiniti Dealer with 3rd Party 100K/5 YR Warranty). At Bayside BMW they charge and charge like thieves and are slipshod besides as I have written up on other sites.

Looking for the right charger for the 2006 BMW 330i - the C-Tek 3300 may be it? If so, can I hook it up in the engine Bay? Is there an alligator clamp version to make it simple?- as I don't want to disconnect the battery due to the Radio Code problem...another Thread says you can press "M" on Radio for 10 seconds and it brings up the Serial Number, then call different BMW's until you get a real human being on the phone for your code...
    TGGary
    Now you're doing it right. I wouldn't go to that rip off dealer for anything. Unfortunately, that's probably the play book for most. You do not need a dealer for most things, . They operate on the knowledge that people who buy these cars have the money and a lack of lack of understanding which allows them to easily be ripped off. On the other hand, they have a fancy, possibly lower volume dealership with lots of overhead and people to wipe your [non-permissible content removed], so to speak, and someone has to pay for that. You know they are going to keep their profit margin no matter what.

BTW, you can go to Harbor Freight and get a trickle charger for about 5 bucks when on sale, which is frequently. $145 for a charge? Almost criminal. I'll bet they even said that with a straight face too. That would be the first and last time I would grace their doorway.
  • 55936, I just got the Serial Number from the Radio by pressing "M" for 10 seconds like thread said - now I have to warm up my sales pitch to get a BMW tech to give me the code - I'll bet there's plenty of decent ones out there who can help who don't just care about overcharging customers...Serial Number is: AL900150476142

Can anyone pull up the code for me?

TGGary
  • roadburnerroadburner Posts: 6,304
    Unfortunately, that's probably the play book for most. You do not need a dealer for most things, . They operate on the knowledge that people who buy these cars have the money and a lack of lack of understanding which allows them to easily be ripped off. On the other hand, they have a fancy, possibly lower volume dealership with lots of overhead and people to wipe your [non-permissible content removed], so to speak, and someone has to pay for that. You know they are going to keep their profit margin no matter what.

I am extremely fortunate to have a dealer that charges a fair price for high quality work. My service advisor has an E36 M3 HPDE car and also shares my love of Triumph Motorcycles. And I still get a BMW loaner and a nice waiting area.

2009 328i / 2004 X3 2.5/ 1995 318ti Club Sport/ 1975 2002A/ 2007 Mazdaspeed 3/ 1999 Wrangler/ 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica

Ah, Triumph. I had a Bonneville that I raced at the drag strip. Now have a Ducati and a Honda VTX 1800. I've had multi's but guess I like the twins.
  • ccoleman328iccoleman328i Posts: 2
    Having similar if not the same starting issues problems at first then no starting period with my 2000 328i I checked the starters ignition terminal and there's no power when the key is turned to the starting position but has 12v battery power and cranks the engine when touching terminal together also no fuel at the injectors and no spark when I crank the starter I'm guessing ignition switch but would like to know if that sounds likely and how do i know if the switch is bad I checked the #3 wire input on the harness at the switch (the blue and black wire) and didn't get any power with a test light but I don't know the diagram for the switches circuitry please help also read something about the key and anti-theft system could i have more info
  • ccoleman328iccoleman328i Posts: 2
    Also BMW makes a great car in my opinion they're just costly to fix i suggest learning how to or don't buy luxury cars lol my 3 series has over 250,000 mi and besides this most recent problem I've had little issues. Not trying to be inconsiderate but they are somewhat above average when it comes to the level of difficulty fixing these cars and requires a lot of specialized tools in any case German cars are usually pricey to fix at a dealer
1235»