Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Infiniti G35 New Owner Reports

Comments

• cdnpinheadcdnpinhead Forest Lakes, AZPosts: 3,290
    ". . .it wants to drop down 2 gears and scream."

That's part of why some of us enjoy a manual transmission so much -- it shifts only when shifted. I know what you mean regarding Nissan drive-by-wire throttle response. My wife's Pathfinder is pretty digital if you're not really gentle/careful.

Congrats on the new car. Enjoy. (as if. . .)
  • davehelmdavehelm Posts: 10
    One other note - Learn from my mistakes.

Danger Manual shift mode: Unlike most other cars with the triptronic type manual shift mode this car will not automatically upshift if you forget what your doing and that is easy to do. (Btw the car sounds tight at 8500 rpm in 1st). While you are driving in manual mode in 5th and then stop the car will start in 1st gear. Did you forget you were in manual mode ops. Sh*t.

Also dont forget when you get back into auto; upshifting into neutral is not too impressive either.

This car should be more idot proof. A shift gate to protect neutral and automatic upshit in manual at 200 rpm over redline. Who needs to hold at above redline?
  • scottm123scottm123 Posts: 1,501
    I found that the shift moves very freely when in Manual mode, but requires a little more push when in Drive.

I haven't made that mistake.
  • kring5kring5 Posts: 144
    Congrats on the new ride scottm123,

This will probably happen to you after you pass break-in period. I've done it 1/2 dozen times already, 2-3 times because i fogot I was in manual mode and 2-3 times because the care is so fast out of first that by the time I shift gears and the next gear catches I'm into 8000+ RPM.

With all that said, i DO NOT want them to change a thing! don't dumb down my car, let me get smarter, nothings worse then getting a sports car with grandpa-limitations. if you can't handle M mode, then put a little scotch tape on the console so you can't move the shifter over!

I'm not willing to test it again, but if anyone wants to give it a try, let me know. I think at 9000 RPM it will switch on it's own, I was stopped in first gear at the top of a hill and making a right turn, after coming out of the turn I wanted to give it a little gas, well the ground there was a little wet still and the tires broke loose so fast I think I went to 9000 because I took my foot off the gas and I saw the gear was now 2nd and just as I looked it went to 3rd but the car was still in M. I'm guessing that 9000 is the real limit on this engine where it becomes damaging so they have a failsafe that switches you to auto when you hit those high RPMs
    Problem is when your driving hard you want to snap it into gear and a little resistence is nothing.
    Very true guys... I'm still in my break-in period.
    Temptation is driving me NUTS!
    I remember well. Now you haven't gone over 4K rpm yet have you? :) If you put it in DS mode (automatic) you have to be near dead not to go over.

I just ordered some Zaino stuff. Can't wait to caress her. My wife won't understand.
    Can't wait to caress her. My wife won't understand.

LOL, my wife doesn't get it either.

As for 4K rpms...
    I've slipped once or twice, but not by much.
    It's actually hard not to, the car just GOES!

I have the Ultimate Zaino kit but I have to wait for better weather before I can wash, clay, wash and caress.
    Plus, I found yesterday, the dealer left a swirl mark on the rear of the car.
    Zaino will fill and mask it, but I need to buff it out by hand, rather than just mask it.
    I'm going to try and correct it myself, as I don't trust them anymore.
    They said that if I can't get it out, they'll take care of it for me.
    I was just avoiding the drive back down.
    They're also over-nighting the splash guards they forgot to install.
    Want something done right, do it yourself.
    I never would have let them clean the car at all, but they needed to apply my 3M film.

(The brown "J" looking thing is just a lightpole reflection)

image">
    Looks like we have the same car...except for the swirls(sorry :) ) they look easy to get out. Mine is a G35x, same color and it looks like you have the wood trim as well. I had the film put on too. I'm not real happy with how far it comes up the nose.

I have never used the Zaino products before but your rants and a friend of mine convinced me. I ordered some of that new stuff they have that you don't buff off. I'm a little concerned about a polish you don't buff but hey it's Zaino right? I checked with them and they confirmed it would not hurt our urethane film.

What are you doing reading this you should be getting those miles worked off.
  • triple_7triple_7 Posts: 63
    Like I mentioned before, the Zaino stuff sounds amazing,thanks for mentioning it here. Im placing an order of their kit to use on my current car and have ready for my new G. Im also looking for the blue slate, prem nav and tire pack. not sure yet about splash guards. Car looks good with and without them.

I'm waiting on some finances to mature later this month but when i'm ready, I'm thinking of telling the dealer not to wash the car so i can "dawn" it and clay it in my own home. like scott123 stated: you want someting done right, you got to do it yourself.
    I'm not real happy with how far it comes up the nose.

I know what you mean, but you'll be happy the first time it protects you.
    The guy who did mine did an absolutely awesome job, and my price of $695 is a bargain for the coverage I got.
    That's considered "Extended Coverage" and it usually much more expensive.

Few coats of Zaino, keeping the edge clear of build-up, and you'll never even know the film is there.
    Can't see it from here!
    Money very well spent.
    I ordered some of that new stuff they have that you don't buff off.

I'm curious, what did you order?
    Sounds like you're talking about the new Z-CS.
    If that's what you ordered, keep me posted with your results... I haven't tried it yet.

Did you order anything else?
    I suggest, if nothing else, claying the car.
    It's new. Get any early contaminants caused by the shipping process off before you seal anything.

Being in MA, I'm dealing with the most horrible weather right now, but there's supposed to be a one day break on Saturday, which is going to be my Wash-Clay-Wash-Polish-Seal day.
    I need to buff out my swirl, but I'll need a good amount of sunlight to determine if the problem is resolved.
    Only then will I get my Zaino on there.
    If I zaino first, it'll hide the swirl and not repair it.
    I ordered the triplets package which includes the Z-AIO the Z-CS and the Z-8 I also added the Z-5 and Z-7 car wash. I plan on claying the car with some clay I already had.

Last night after doing more reading on the Zaino's site I ordered the Z-2, because I'm not sure I need Z-5 on my new car, and some Z-6. I have driven the G for about 1.5 months now and have not waxed it because I was concerned that the paint had not fully cured. I also ordered the leather in a bottle for my wife's car(don't want to mess that new car smell in the G up)

I plan on using the Dawn, Z-7/clay,AIO,Z-2,Z-6,Z-2. then CZ and finally Z-8.

What do you think of the above?
    You need to order some ZFX Flash Cure Accelerator
    They recommend that at least the first coat of Z2 must contain the accelerator in order for it to properly cure and adhere.

From the instructions:
    For your initial application, enable Z-2 PRO™ by mixing with ZFX Flash Cure Accelerator as directed by the instructions included with ZFX Flash Cure Accelerator. It is critical that you use ZFX Flash Cure Accelerator with Z-2 PRO™ for the initial application, or if multiple layers are to be applied within a 24 hour time period.

I ended up ordering the Ultimate kit, just to be sure I had the essentials on hand.
    I would like to make a second order soon, for plastic cleaner and the Z-CS

The Leather in a Bottle smells just like leather!
    I also have not used it yet.
    I've had new cars before, but the smell of the new G is different, like no other new car I've owned.
    It's probably highly toxic, but I love the smell !!!

And, my whole garage smells like new G, not just the interior. :)
    I'm not sure that has been updated to reflect the use of Z-cs but am checking with Zaino to find out.

From the Z-CS FAQ's
    Is ZFX required with Z-CS?
    No. You may use Z-CS as the bond or base coat to the paint prior to an initial application of Z-2 or Z-5 PRO. You will not need ZFX if you're using Z-CS unless you decide to use ZFX with Z-2 or Z-5 PRO to accelerate cure time for multiple successive coats of Z-2 or Z-5 PRO
    How bout that... good find!
    Final answer from Sal (in bold)

Question
    I have a new car. I bought the triplets(AIO, CS and Z-8) but then also bought Z-2 ,Z-6 and then ZFX.

I think I’m confused; I don’t think your website recommendations have fully implemented the CS solution throughout the guides.

Your instructions for the initial application of Z-2 say it is critical to use ZFX. Is this true if I am going to topcoat it with Z-CS?

ZFX not necessary if you top Z-2 with Z-cs

How would you recommend I use these products together? I’m thinking dawn, Clay, AIO, CS, Z-2 w/o ZFX, CS, and Z-8.

Dawn

Clay
    Rewash
    AIO
    Z-2
    Z-CS
    Z-8

(He added a rewash and removed an application of Z-CS.)
    Yes, you always need to rewash after a clay job.
    I sorta do both at the same time.

Wash the whole car.
    Use one bucket of strong wash/water solution for clay lube.
    I also have another bucket with micro-fiber wash mitt ready, with wash/water solution.

I clay a section, and then grab my mitt and wash it down, then rinse.
    I then move on to the next section.

Just saves a little time is all.

You can dawn to get the car down to the clearcoat, but after claying, I do suggest using their carwash, or any other PH-Balanced wash.
    Dawn freaks me out, and I only use it when starting a new base.
    devoted to Zaino. Has it gone away?

As I recall, the "take care of your car" portion of Edmunds had two surface finish categories -- the Zaino one & the everything but Zaino one.

The Zaino zealots were hard-core, and I dropped off the board, but it sounds like there are a few people here who might enjoy it, if it still exists.
  • patpat Posts: 10,421
    Nope! You are thinking of Zaino Car Polishes/Products--Your Experiences (Part 2) and Store Bought Waxes Part II (No Zaino Posts).

The search features on the left are our friends. :P
  • toddr3toddr3 Posts: 19
    Just want to say that this car is well worth the wait, for those of you still waiting to receive yours. The car in AMAZING!!! It is extremely fast and very fun to drive. The options are well worth the money as they add so much to the driving experience. My friend has an 07 IS350 and this car blows it away in every category.

Just my two cents...
    Thanks, Pat.

The reality is that I don't care, but it sounds like one or more of these other folks would enjoy exchanging ideas with those well-established boards.
  • dafinmandafinman Posts: 8
    Scott, I'm the same guy whos been talking to you about zaino over the past few days. I hope things are going well with your new car. I just thought I would mention my experience cleaning my car this weekend. I was claying my car and when I hit the urethane film the clay bar stopped. I got a couple of really nice scuffs on the film now and I still haven't got all the clay off the edge of the film. I don't think it's a good idea to use clay on the film. I'm hoping I can get the scuffs out my only consolation is that I can remove the film but it's really not that bad just hate anything on my new car. I think you know what I mean.
    LOL
    Well, guess what...
    I was washing and claying MY car this weekend and found the same thing. :blush:

I have no scuff marks on the film itself and I know the film is safe to clay, but the edges... watch out for the edges.
    Claying against an edge causes the clay to get caught, and it's an absolute ***** to get out. :mad:

Looks like we've both learned from experience. ;)

I'll say this though...
    Dawned, washed, clayed, washed, Z-5'd, Z-6'd,and then Z-2'd twice.... HOLY CRAP, what a shine! :D

I "dawn"ed and waxed my wheels too.
    The stuff the dealer used on the wheels was capturing brake dust badly.
    A quick coat of wax on the wheels has resolved that issue as well.
  • dafinmandafinman Posts: 8
    Yeah I'm up to the z-5 step but will not be receiving the Z-2 and ZFX till today. I plan on putting down a z-2 and coating with the z-CS I'll let you know how that goes. Probably will wait til Wednesday because it is suppose to rain here tomorrow.
  • jagguarjagguar Posts: 25
    Sweet! Just make sure to break it in. It may kill me but I will follow the break in rules very strictly to make sure this car lasts as long as possible. BTW, I just got news of when my car is actually going to show up. I'm looking at May 11th, give or take a little. I wonder if I'm going to celebrate this anniversary in a year?
  • sacg35sacg35 Posts: 3
    amazing car. You will love it. My last 2 cars were a 2000 BMW 328i and a 2001 BMW 740i. The G35 is just as good if not better so far in most areas.
    "Just make sure to break it in."

Ya know, when I buy my daughter a new toy, it usually does a little something while checking it out in the store, and when you get it home and out of the packaging, there's a little plastic tab that you need to pull out, and then the toy has full capabilities.
    For example, the toy may play one line of a song, but when the tab is pulled, the whole song plays.

I wish my G had this little plastic tab, which is not to be pulled out of it's little slot until proper 1200 mile break-in is complete.
    This car WANTS to be driven, and keeping it below 4K ALL the time is a feat that even Mother Teresa herself could not accomplish. :)
  • sprinkler13sprinkler13 Posts: 435
    Yeah...that first break-in period is tough...but trust me, it will go by pretty quick. Besides...it's ok to occasionally "slip" on the gas and go above 4k ;) Just keep it withing the limits most of the time. But after the break in....have fun. I have to really watch myself sometimes on the empty freeways...before I know it I'm around 120 and it's just coasting :blush:
  • toddr3toddr3 Posts: 19
    Is there a break in period? My dealer is telling me that they run the engines for a few thousand miles before putting them in the cars so there is no break in period. True? My gas milage is awful.. 11 mpg in the city and only 20mpg on the highway with icc on at 80. Does it get better?
This discussion has been closed.