Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Chevy Silverado and GMC Sierra Axles

Comments

• maxummaxum Posts: 3
    Are there any known options that I might have to get better traction from my factory rear end. My truck has very low milage.
  • obyoneobyone Posts: 8,065
    Check it out here:

Locker
  • I have a 2008 Silverado 2wd. 3000 miles. When I make a slow speed turn (Left or right) I get a pop,pop,pop noise from the rear end. I had the truck serviced at the dealer. They told me the factory used the wrong rearend fluid. My dealer serviced the rear end with the correct fluid but I am still getting the noise. Also the front tires are cupping real bad. This is a point A-B vehicle. no hauling or abuse. anyone have any ideas?
    Also the front tires are cupping real bad.

That could be due to alignment, improper balancing, or just plain crappy General tires.

The popping noise on turns could be a loose crossmember as obviously it's not the fluid in your rear end.
  • i have a 02 gmc z71 5.2 with 3:73s an 33 mud grips i want to go to 4:10s will that put back in the same power range as the 3:73s an stock size tires instead of like now it seems to bogg a little with the 3:73s an the 33s i just put on it
  • any input on on question 27 would be greatly appreciated
    Changing gears are often overlooked and offer an economic solution to acceleration. With 33's have you considered 4.56?
  • I have an excel spread sheet that gives engine RPM for different size tires/different rear axle ratios/and final drive transmission ratios. All you do is enter in the information and it calculates the engine RPM. I am new to this forum so I don't know how to get it to you without an e-mail.

Terry
  • hey terry man that would be great if u dont kind send it to jeard23@yahoo.com or wontkissantell@aol.com that would give the perfect idea of what i want
  • I just installed a different differental in my 97 4x4 that the only identifing marking are on the top. It is ZWB G 281 2 20. My old differential has similur markings. Can anyone direct me to someplace that explains these markings? Thanks, wsrader
  • I have a 2000 Gmc Sierra 4.8 and I want to get a posi-unit. maybe a eaton with 373 gears. but i really dont know alot about them besides that both wheel spin and the truck gets a good take off with good traction. Could anyone give me advice on what to look for when buying one and what would be a good price to have on installed. I asked a shop and they gave me the price of $1100 Installed. its an Eaton Differential, bearings, and 373 gears and the instalation. I live in Southwest Detroit, Michigan where here chevy trucks are popular and gettin them down to 11's is everyones goal. my truck is stock and it just has a k&n. my email is Juanelo_Irreziztible2008@yahoo.com if any wants to write me on there. thanks
  • I have noticed latley that my rear diff will "lock" up when making turns and it sounds and feels like I am draggin the outside rear tire. This mainly happens after a fast start. I just changed the diff fluid 2 weeks ago nad inspected the oild fluid and didnt find any shavings. This is an itermittent problem. Any ideas? It is the G80 rear end too.

Thanks, Scott
  • How do you replace a center support bearing ? 1998 G.M.C Sierra 1500 2 wheel drive. 5.0 V-8.
  • akjbmwakjbmw Posts: 231
    Short answer abridged from Second Edition Service Manual for '98 Chev/GMC...
    It appears that the center support bearing is a press off/press on arrangement. You do not want to use a hammer.

Support everything to prevent excessive bending of joints.
    Make reference marks to put things back in the same orientation for balance.
    Start by removing the rear u-joint from the differential and tape the joint to keep the caps from falling off and loosing the needle bearings.
    Next remove the center support bearing bolts and remove the assembly.
    Install in reverse order.
    KEEP EVERYTHING CLEAN and re-clean before assembly.
    A longer answer involves knowing if it is a two piece or three piece assembly, if it is a Dana or American Axle propeller shaft, and how much it will cost to have it towed to a repair shop if you loose something.

The last center support bearing I replaced was on a '70 BMW 2002. I've slept a few times since then. No pressing. Just a stubborn circlip and rubber flex joints that required compression to align bolts on re-assembly.

Good luck.
  • kboursekbourse Posts: 2
    Recently, I noticed that my '07 Sierra is making a squeaking noise when I'm driving. It doesn't sound like it's coming from underneath the hood. It sounds more like the rear axle. After, I loaded the bed with over 600 lbs of logs, the noise was more pronounced. Does anyone know what this could be?
    Those trucks are notorious for rear leaf spring squeak