Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Jeep Wrangler Maintenance and Repair Questions 2007 and newer

Comments

• The other forum seat thread mentioned rolled up towel since the couple both had right leg discomfort. One answer was to go to a baby shop and get a foam pad for a child's carseat. Remembered that I saw $12 seat cushions with a zippered cover at walmart. B-H's knee is worse than mine. Between us we have one set of painless legs. The cushion was a big success for the trip this past weekend. I feel lousy I didn't at least buy that cushion when I first saw it. Maybe I should join the other forum and give those guys a big thank you.
  • Last few weeks with cooler temps the steering is nice and solid again. May do the fifth wheel grease mod or see my local gmc dealer about their grease tsb for their steering shafts. May just add a heat shield, around the steering shaft, from a flexible aluminum/ss tube like a dryer vent. Also, the motor is getting nice cool air to help that hot running (for low emissions?) v6. Seems like maybe the tranny fluid temp is staying low, maybe lower than the high operating temperature because the tranny feels like it has a real torque converter now. Or just my imagination. Tired of reading about hydrolock, sure do like her h3 fender intake. Thinking about a plumbing part solution mod to the airbox nozzle without a snorkel in the firewall or on the a pillar.
  • tired_old_davetired_old_dave Posts: 703
    edited November 2010
    Many months ago bought that twenty dollar aftermarket mic and was told by them I needed their pick to make my phone work. Ordered only the mic and while installing it the wires pulled out. Threw it away. Now that hands free laws are proliferating, ordered the mopar mic from lee, yes all the way up there shipping because they are smart and their use of ups tracking in your email is great.

Sometimes I am stupid and sometimes well.. Installed the mopar mic along side the screen. Did the menu+seek+scan trick and nada. Downloaded zipped releases post my 1.220 but didn't unzip or install. Kept reading the 2009 rer mygig just needed a mic and the enabling button pushing.

Back in my crd days kept hearing about the CAN Bus and what a pain, crd piggybacked computers against VM instructions. Grew up around people with the running joke Lucas, in bikes and sportscars. Going nuts so easy why wasn't uconnect working. A small spark of enlightenment after stepping back, with Mopar and electronics, check the battery voltage and if good just disconnect the negative terminal get a fresh cup of coffee. Wait. Connect the negative terminal.
  • Posted too soon. Thanks a lot Jeep.
  • It is now working. Thanks to the internet and not the dealers.
    Installed mopar mic (side of screen all that extra wire behind radio).
    Entered engineering mode and enabled vr on page 4. False success then failure.
    Mistakenly? also selected return to factory settings as only one post suggested.

Downloaded 2.302 from the net and installed. Screen shows it as v3.010.
    Nothing.
    Again why did I return to factory settings again.
    Entered engineering mode and disabled vr.
    Reinstalled 2.302 and uconnect is working.

On reflection, guess if I had just downloaded and installed the software after the mic was connected it would've been over. But that download was after a lot of forums discussions and learning curve. Don't want all the stuff working just the hands free phone. If one gets a new phone will it require a new download, don't know and for now don't care.

Add lost hours on the net etc to all those other hours lost to mtgs, forms, on hold, press 5, etc.
  • I also have a 2007 Sahara, & my passenger side velcro opens a 3 inch gap when I go over 65 MPH. I run the heat all winter & still freeze. Would love to know if there is a fix besides new top (this one leaked when new), hard top, or duct tape - thanks
  • I have a 2007 Jeep Wrangler Soft Top (4 Door) from my jeep I just traded in, I got an 010 just the same. Some one cut the back window and the back drivers side window to get in my Jeep and steal my CD's. Call me - four oh five four oh nine ninteen eighty - Oklahoma City. My top never leaked and it is Black with the tinted rear windows. My wife only let me have the soft top on it for about 3 months, then we put the hard top back on when the cut the plastic windows late one night. But if you don't want to go that rowt you may try Gorilla Snot. It is gray, and it may be able to close the gap???
  • Hey did you ever get it fixed?

I got an 09 Wrangler Unlimited and i have the same problem.
    Went back to Safelite to get it fix and its still whistling..
    Any idea?>
  • Went to 4wp for a hi lift jack and ended up with an xrc8 w/syn rope. Cheaper than it was on sale earlier. The darn mounting plate was a third again the price of the winch. It may not have the appeal of a winch on a new steel or aluminum bumper, but I am pleased. Even the smittybilt cover, once the straps were re-arranged is decent. Adam and the guys at the Tribe 4x4 did a nice install and overcame a directions misdirection. It may not be lifted. It may have the factory bumper. But I got a winch long before I thought I would.

Was looking a pullpal's and the like. Read about burying the spare or pounding an old axle into the ground. One web site tested the WASP and panned it. 4wp clerk got positive feedback from a customer about the wasp. Yeah, when you start buying when you are alone sometines you just keep buying. On order can't wait to test the new toys.

Read a lot about that crappy Saginaw steering box. Of course, know about PSC. Brought this up because I thought one of Ed's links was to a story about the selling of the plant finally now to the Chinese.

Years ago, car ads touted we now have precise rack & pinion steering like expensive sports cars or something like that. I have no problem with the box or linkage yet. Still stock with slightly lighter and smaller duratracs vs the bfg mt's. I would bet that people who don't know all this would not know that the wrangler is not rack and pinion. It is precise for me and a lot less complicated.

Last night, had to get out and slightly adjust the head lights and fog lights to adjust for a little drop in the front bumper. But adjusted the fogs more to compensate for the weak headlights.
  • Any thoughts on a 255 80 17 Duratrac?
  • Googled folding shovels but ended up at omaha militaria in Ft Worth. Hadn't been there in over two decades. Ended up not getting that familiar GI one but instead the german model in the leather case. This was done right after getting the wasp.

Got a discount on the wasp from the local store, a Christmas gift?, after I showed printouts of the cheap free shipping smittybilt winches from amazon. Guess I am bringing this up since I have been asked and saw a post elsewhere about the wasp. Yes, I too saw that video of the wasp in vermiculite or some such medium. One of the counter clerks at the local store received a customer positive comment about the wasp. Snatch block still needed for the wasp case.

Think the rubi rides better with the extra weight taking up the front spring slop and the extra weight of the wasp and contents over the rear axle behind the rear seat does its' share also.
  • Interesting read in the March 2011 JP Magazine
    Guess my continuing softening front springs will be the next object of attention.
  • steverstever YooperlandPosts: 40,010
    If you live in or near DC and have had fuel spitback issues with your car, please email pr@edmunds.com before Monday, February 28, 2011 to be interviewed by a reporter. Please include your daytime contact information and the year, make and model of your car.

Need help navigating? stever@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

• mstaasmstaas Posts: 2
    I was actually looking into a different problem I was having with my air bag sensor when I came across this. My jeep has done the same exact thing...I have the same jeep as you. Did the dealership ever do anything about it??? mine is out of warranty now but you are right it is so scary. It has happened to me 3 times once I almost wrecked on the highway going 65 mph.
  • mstaasmstaas Posts: 2
    I have the same problem with my 2007 jeep poping out of 1st gear every single day so annoying !!
  • tired_old_davetired_old_dave Posts: 703
    edited April 2011
    23K+ months and 37+k miles.
    Huber optics on front door windows, drilled the mirrors, charcoal canister cover, rubi rails replaced with real rock sliders(some side steel), hood spring removed, custom bracket and aux. tranny cooler, time and material to fix squeak from cowling, squeak still exists in drivers side dash during cold weather, indicated and not actual mpg's in dash display was as low as 15.+ and as high as 21.+. Front end not as tight as it was brand new.

Winch, wasp, snatch block, strap, military folding shovel.

A few extra dollars by the manufacturer to upgrade the vehicle, a lot less than the stupid advertising budget, warranty work (if not voided and), customer aggravation, and internet blasting, would've made it a definitive 4x4 vehicle.

Is it a keeper. Yes. If nothing else, there is the aftermarket and those who love jeeps.
  • pstraubepstraube Posts: 2
    I have a 2008 Wrangler Sahara Unlimited.
    I live in Michigan on the western end of Oakland County. I have an inverter I'd like to put under the front passenger seat so my kids don't blow out the fuses on my 12V outlets with their laptops and other electronics. I have heavy-duty cables (heavier than what I really need) to connect to the battery but don't have the expertise or physical ability/strength to run them from the battery into the passenger compartment.
    The dealership and other places want two hours of labor, which is beyond my budget. I live off of disability checks but would gladly pay someone something reasonable to help me out. I hate to sound rude by being picky but I'd obviously prefer help from someone who has done this before.
  • mac24mac24 Posts: 3,910
    Is there a local college that runs a day or evening automotive class?
    If so they may be prepared to take it on as an educational project for a small donation or for free.
  • Not long after buying the JK, saw pictures of cracks in the driver's side exhaust manifold. Some told me they see it on lifted jeeps. Mine was replaced today. Quiet again.

Wisconsin +1 Texas-1. Good Luck and Best Wishes Tami.
  • Has anyone had issues with a vibration in the rubicon? Usually around 20-30mph. Any input would be appreciated. Thanks!