Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Jeep Wrangler Maintenance and Repair Questions 2007 and newer

Comments

• I am also starting to get the same drip at the front of the doors and it drops directly onto the door handles. I have had the Jeep for about 5 month but only about 4k miles on it. Up until this past weekend I have been actually impressed by the no leaks. This past weekend I half way ignored the leak becuase the top was down and a small storm came through but verified for sure last night during the rain and the top has been up for a few days that I was getting hit with fresh water. If anyone has any more info regarding this issue I would like to know. I actually feel better knowing other people are having the exact same issue becuase I was trying to figure out what I had sone differently to cause it to start leaking.
  • sciguy85sciguy85 Posts: 45
    We have been having horrible rains here in chicago. Mine has leaked in the same place very slight even with severe rain. When mine leaked bad one time was when the front was parked higher than the back (on an incline) then it poured in. It seemed to come from the little "flap cover" in that area. Sorry I don't have a fix but mine had a couple glue areas where they looked like they tried to fix it before I go it. If it starts leaking more often, I'll try to fix it myself. It's new and no it shouldn't happen but I love it to much to leave it to let them try to figure it out. With the way other Jeep owners seem to be a resourceful bunch a home fix should be up soon. I do have a very intermittent "rub sound" or bump noise in my front door when I hit a certain type of bump. I will not let them rip it apart to find it until it gets worse. I will let someone else be the guinea pig. I had a Malibu that took 3 weeks to find a problem (amongst 12 other problems). A week later the 2 hour fix was all over the internet. Do what you have to do. I do acknowledge the problem but will live with it for now.
  • bfassettbfassett Posts: 17
    I have a 2007 Wrangler X with 17" tires.Whenever I brake the Jeep seems to pull to the right -hard.BUT not all the time .It appears if the wheel is off line just a little it will pull to the left.Been to the dealer twice.He lined it up.HE also checked all the brakes-caliper-slides and all seemed ok. mJust seems to be uneven brake preassure when applying brakes.I drove one on the lot set up the same and it also appeared to do it.DO I have a brake problem,dealer problem or a tire issue.Also rear end sprung a leak-not sure if cover seal or pinion gear .Any advice helpful.Braking is always an adventure -never kow which way I might go.Thanks
  • zottozotto Posts: 10
    When I hit bumps with the front tires there is a clanking/rattling underneath the vehicle. I really only notice it with the windows and/or top down, but it's unmistakeble. Sounds like something may be loose, but this is my first Wrangler and don't know if this is normal when driving over rough pavement. It's got less than a 1,000 miles on it and has sounded like this from day 1. any thoughts?
  • donaldsdonalds Posts: 28
    Made a terrible mistake, put on a speed control kit and had it all back together and for some dumb reason I decided to pull the steering wheel back off, forgot to unplug the horn wire and pulled the ribbon cable out of the housing, for the life of me I cannot figure out how to rewind it.
    Anybody ever rewind them?
    Here is an update on this mess, according to the dealer service this cannot be rewound, must be replaced, cost me $488.00 to giter-dun.
  • mac24mac24 Posts: 3,910
    I didn't realize that cruise kits were available yet for '07s. Sounds like you damaged the clockspring.
    Price sounds a little high, how does it break down?
    They charged me $222.89 for the clock spring and $222.50 for labor. I should have just wound the wire back inside and let it snap and pled ignorance and let the warranty have it.
  • mac24mac24 Posts: 3,910
    Price for the clockspring is probably about right, but it really shouldn't take more than an hour to fit one.
    One thing is for sure they will not get anymore of my money.
    Like I mentioned if I had used my head and stuffed the wire back in they would not have known I did it.
  • I have had my 2007 Wrangler X Unlimited with half metal doors for 4 months now and I love it except... now it is in the shop for its 3rd time for leaking. :cry: No one at the dealership seems to know what to do. :confuse: When it rains the rain comes directly in through the window and on to the seats, by the time the rain stops leaking the floor is soaked the seats are soaked and anyone in the truck is soaked. :mad: This is not a drip its a pour. Is or has anyone experienced this same problem? Any solutions? Anything that could help at all?
  • Hi,

Traded in my '04 Wrangler X for an '08 Wrangler X a few nights ago. Today was the first time I took the '08s top down. As soon as I got going, I noticed this rather annoying flapping noise that my driver's-side seatbelt was making. It was flapping against the inside of the car (the column that it is housed). Has anyone experienced the same?
  • My wife's '07 Unlimited X also experiences the occasional flapping. I have had non-Jeep vehicles that have experienced flapping when the windows are down as well.

I really don't understand why so many people complain about the Jeep. If they weren't looking to drive on of the most fun vehicles out there, then I guess they should have just bought a Honda CRV, or H3, or Toyota FJ and settled for 2nd place at best.
  • Googled it and found a discussion thread on the phenomenon:

http://www.jk-forum.com/archive/index.php/t-11324.html
  • yjbobyjbob Posts: 56
    If your new Jeep is like my older YJ, it is possible that the upper fabric doors are not properly aligned. My doors have never leaked in the rain, but the upper frames often have to be pulled in (toward the center of the vehicle) to seal against the roof fabric. I have seen pictures of this alignment process in the JC Whitney catalog - once you see what has to be done, it looks pretty easy to do. You might try searching the web for "aligning fabric upper doors" or similar phrases for descriptions of the procedure.

Good luck.
  • mb789mb789 Posts: 89
    I am considering buying a 2007 Wrangler X. I looked on Jeep's web site, and it is one affected by the TIPM recall for the possibility of stalling.

Has anyone had experiences with stalling, and does the reprogramming really fix the problem?
  • cwyantcwyant Posts: 1
    I have a 2007 sahara and I can tell you that the recall does not work and that the dealer I have tells me that it is the way I drive that causes this. I have had many drivers take the jeep and drive it and all have said that it is a pain to drive! Get it rolling and it is a great thing to drive, you just have to get it moving. If anyone can help me I would be in you debt.
  • I have a 2008 Sahara. I have been afraid to touch the hardtop because so many people have complained about leaking (and I did not want the dealership to blame me). I have the car for three weeks and it did not make it through the first rain storm. Not as bad as yours though at least so far). Water has been spraying out from the middle front when I brake. Brought it to the dealer and they said that they replaced the seals, which were "updated" meaning according to the dealer that Jeep was aware of this issue. In any event on my drive home from the dealer two AFTER it rained water sprayed out the front middle again. Presumably, the dealer would have dried the area when the supposedly put the new "updated" seals on. Bringing it back on Thursday (oct 18?). I feel like it's just a waste of time. People warned me about the freedom top. At least I also have the Soft top. Good luck.
  • Hey I am having trouble removing the knob of my gear shift. I tried to remove it to replace it with another one and i ended up snapping the knob? Does anyone know how to get it off? Does it even come off?

Thanks
  • stu11stu11 Posts: 1
    Hi. I just had this problem also. Still working on it. I just got a 2008 Sahara. Tried to pop off the shift knob but coudn't figure it out. Seems way overly difficult for some reason. Anyone able to Help??
  • Does anyone know where I can get Jeep Green touch-up paint for a 2008 2DR Sahara?
  • My Jeep Engine dies when I turn on head lights. Also When you pull battery cable of it dies, IT has a new altenater. :cry:
  • hebearhebear Posts: 3
    I have just purchased a new 2008 Sahara and I have the hard top and it leaks from the center just as yours does. I only have it 5 days. Let me know what you find out from your dealer. Would like to know what the fix is before I bring mine in.
    Good luck dealers can be a pain and nobody wants to be the guiena pig.
  • I will let you know. I switched my appointment to today (Friday the 19th). It's there now.
  • Dealer said that they have to order (and replace) seals. The Rep I spoke to said that practically everyone is having trouble with the hard top. He said that Jeep (Chrysler) thought that they fixed the problem with the '07s by changing some seals . . . . apparently not.

They could not see anything visibly wrong with my seals . . . I spoke to them about not wanting to make it worse and he agreed . . . . we'll see . . . .
  • hebearhebear Posts: 3
    Stopped by my dealer today and spoke to service manager and he said wait a couple of weeks as a TSB will be issued on all 3-piece hard tops. He said he replaced seals on several to no avail and even replaced tops. He suggested I wait till factory comes up with fix. Good luck with yours let me know.
    Thanks
  • If you haven't done so, you may want to check out jeepsunlimited.com forum. Some guy put weatherstripping on his freedom tops and posted pics. he said that he has not had any leaks.
  • Hey. How's the hard top holding up? I had a pretty significant rainstorm over the last few day(s) and the hard top did not leak until saturday morning. In the past my HT only leaked when I braked. On Saturday morning it leaked even without braking from the same spot front middle section.
  • I own a 2007 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited X. I have had it in the shop twice for uncontrollable shaking. The first time it happened I was on the highway in the center lane in busy traffic going around 65 MPH. The Jeep shook so badly that I thought I had a wheel fall off. I managed to get to the side of the road barely. I had it towed to the dealership and after they looked at it they said that nothing was wrong and to take it home. I did... :mad: Chalking it up to a fluke I drove it again. The next time it happened at only around 10MPH but my husband was in the Jeep with me. I thought he was going to $hit his pants he was so scared. The Jeep stops shaking when you come to a complete stop, then you can drive like normal (until the next time). I took it back to the dealership and after speaking with Chrysler they "re-torqued" the front end components. That was last week... today it happened AGAIN, also at a low rate of speed so not as terrifying but to tell you the truth as far as I am concerned I Now have a vehicle that I am scared to death to drive. Is this happening to anyone else???
  • yjbobyjbob Posts: 56
    You have what is often called "death wobble" - an ailment of some jeeps. Usually it is a result of a problem in a steering system component (including tires).
    Please look in the maintenance board for 1997-2007 jeeps and on the main "jeep wrangler" board. In the main board, search for "death wobble". The maintenance board has "dw" as a recent topic.
    It can be fixed.