Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Jeep Wrangler Maintenance and Repair Questions 2007 and newer

Comments

• It wouldn't hurt to have all tires re-balanced...it was a VW years ago that almost threw me off the road...just after I left the FIRESTONE Store. The dope that balanced my wheels had NO IDEA what he was doing. Your car may have thrown a weight .Look for uneven wear on tires too. You are wise to get this thing fixed before you go anywhere distant. :D
  • cwt1cwt1 Posts: 1
    Wiper motor function correctly in all positions (varible, low and high) except off. It runs at low speed when off. Should I change the wiper switch or wiper motor? What if any diaignostic steps do I take?
  • tidestertidester Posts: 10,109
    I think you've already done the diagnostic and the problem is likely the switch.

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper
  • erickplerickpl Posts: 2,735
    Have you been through dirt/mud? I've had the problem after wheeling my TJ and gotten stones in between the rotor and pad. I'd highly suggest just getting in there with a hose and rinsing things off well and visually inspecting for any rubbing going on.

Are you sure this isn't an engine squeal? Or is it more like a wheel squeal/grinding noise? If it is a grinding squeal, I'd bet you have a stone or lots of brake dust in there. If it is just dust, I'd suggest a new pad with lower dust generation. I'm putting EBC brakes on my wife's car. They have a EBC Yellow and Green that would be ideal for a Wrangler and have a LOT less dust than stock. Yellow in front, green in back IIRC (due to braking loads).

-Paul
    X2. Your switch is bad. The switch on the steering column is a one piece design. Replace that entire assembly. You can buy new from the dealer. Also consider www.jeepsareus.com and perhaps find a local salvage yard and grab one from a comparable Jeep. Collins Bros Jeep out of Texas also has Jeep parts (I'm just not sure how new).

-Paul
  • I just got my 2007 Unlimited X back from the dealership for the 3rd time this month for water leaks. It started first above my windshield and then my passenger door. Now it is my driver side door. I am glad it started before my warranty was up. They said they have had lots of problems with the wranglers after they have about 20 or 30k miles on them. I am getting very frustrated also. Never expected they couldn't get it fixed. They keep replacing the weather stripping. Still leaking!
  • I had the same problem in June. Call the dealer. They fixed my jeep by replacing the steering stabilizer to an after market. I had to call Jeep direct. Jeep has had problems with the steering stablilizer on 07 jeeps. They also call this Death Wobble
  • I am taking my 2007 Sahara Jeep Wrangler in for severe water leaks for the 7th time(SEVENTH TIME). How much paper work do I need to stack up on this very aggravating problem before its classified a lemon. Now its leaking in the center right down on the radio. I never put the top down since the last time they said it was fixed. They said they put a leak fix kit in. Well they need to go back to the drawing board, its just as bad as ever.
  • Anyone ever add an aftermarket cruise control on an 07 wrangler?
  • butchbutch Posts: 2
    We have a 08 Jeep Wrangler with Freedom Tops that leak. Its been in the dealers shop twice for the leaks. The first time they replaced seals and the tops, the second time they replaced the new seals. And said I may have been putting them on wrong. No problem, I was schooled at the dealership (remedial top installation) and went about my merry way the following week after a heavy rain the leaks are back, we have frost in the floor and the tops haven't been removed (so much for schooling). Are there any solutions out there?
    Personally, I'd put on the soft top and sell the freedom top. :)

-Paul
  • roadburnerroadburner Posts: 6,874
    Personally, I'd put on the soft top and sell the freedom top.

Me too.

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport 1975 2002A 2007 Mazdaspeed 3 1999 Wrangler 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2009 328i Son's: 2004 X3 2.5

• When the wife and I were test driving an '07 wranglerX it was actaully raining and the hard top leaked...that and it sounded like I was driving a cargo van...so we got the soft top and I am very happy we did...and it doesn't leak a bit.
  • I have the 2008 WranglerX with soft top. I noticed water under both front floor mats after heavy rain. Dash and consol are dry. I have my "FIRST"appt. with the dealer soon! Never had a jeep and I love to drive it. Hope they can fix it. Maybe the softtop or the door seel? Good Luck to all who leak.
  • Not sure if you have found any resolution since this post...
    I think when they made the JK model... it meant ..JUST KIDDING!... Because this is seriously some kind of terrible joke. I am the owner of a 2007 Wrangler Sahara. It has 40k on it and has had the Death Wobble for the last 15k. To tell everyone what the death wobble is ...it a a random violent shaking of the truck. The first time it happened I thought for sure a tire had come completely off the Jeep. I pulled off to the side of the road only to find all the tires were on and intact. This was just the beginning of the long still unresolved road with this truck. I have worked with an amazing Chrysler dealership that has done all that they can do. I have spent hours in the phone trying to find someone who just speaks english to help me with my completely unsafe truck. After months of phone calls and no help I gave up. Now I own a truck that has a large loan left on it and is worth about half...i can't knowingly sell of trade an unsafe vehicle. So I ask... Chrysler...who is going to bail me out? The larger issue is there is no fix if your lucky you may get one of the many suggestions to work but it is likely temporary. This is the truck I HAD to have...and now I cannot even drive it. I am a hazard on the road in this thing.
  • I guess you've had the wheels balanced...maybe a tire rotation ? My 2007 Rubicon has 36,000 miles and no wobble...yet. Good Luck. :shades:
  • What size tires do you have on that model? Yeah rotated, balanced, all new steering parts the works including heavy duty Rancho steering stabilizer.
    Has anybody tried new tires/wheels off another vehicle? Possible the wheels are defective? Not necessarily out of balance, but just crooked? Has anybody looked at the rotor surfaces where the wheels mount to the hub? I'd seriously have them look at not just the steering components, but the joints for the steering knuckles and ensure all joints are GOOD AND that the mounting surfaces and wheels are straight and true.

-Paul
  • danrjeepdanrjeep Posts: 3
    Hi,

I am in the same exact situation as you...Have you found a solution?
    I have the same problem along with Other's on this site...If there is no solution it is time to get the Law involved...I did not pay $26,000 to have my jeep sit in the front yard...Any suggestions?
  • i am intrested to hear your specifics.. what model Jeep and Year as well as what has been done so far please!
    I just picked up my Jeep after the 5th time this week. The dealership has re checked EVERYTHING and nothing is wrong. They have no idea what to do. They have a call in to the Chrystler star team for help again. I would like to try a new set of tires to see if that is the issue. I am trying to work on making that happen. Customer service is useless so be prepared but call to get a case # set up. To let you know where I am at with all this I this week have mailed out individual letters to the entire leadership team of Chrysler Corp. I was also able to obtain the direct fax # and phone # to the fablous CEO Robert Nardelli. So I am working it the best I can and will keep up with the updates.
  • bfassettbfassett Posts: 17
    Have them change the steering stabilzer on the front end...looks like a small shock abdsorber.I had the same problem - twice .Although it may look good , have it changed..try an after market supplier if possible.It has been a year since mine was changed and so far , no problems. ****famous last words !!!
  • Thanks......For all of you out there that have not had this done DO IT.
    I have had this replaced and even have a RANCHO ( not Chrysler) heavy duty off road stabilizer put in a few months ago. Issue still exists. The Chrysler stabilizer is defective and you will need to continue to have it replaced. The Chrystler star team is aware that the Rancho ones seem to work in most so far and yes the warranty WILL pay for it even though it is not a Chrysler part. Make sure your dealership is working with Chrysler directly.
    I've said it before and I'll keep saying it. A steering stabilizer will not fix death wobble's root cause. It simply masks it. Once that stabilizer gets used a bit, the wobble will come back.

-Paul
  • brokenjeepbrokenjeep Posts: 9
    Agreed! It is not a true fix... but for some it has corrected it up to a year I have heard..... Mine it corrected it for 2 days.
    I just had this done to the jeep...My repair man told me that it is a sure fix...after reading this forum i am skeptical of that. I will keep you informed on my status. If this is not the fix then I am still very interested in getting the law involved. This problem should have been a recall!

Danny
  • I have a 2007 4 door jeep wrangler saharah I replaced the brake pads 10 months ago and dealership told me they need to be replaced again @ $300.00 there is no warranty because they don't make a value-line pad for thios year model. I asked dealership if I was going to have to replace each year cause thats not a cost I felt I would have to incurr every year when i purchased. I should have kept my 2001 :cry:
  • In my 2007 jeep wrangler when i back out of my driveway in the morning, then shift to drive there is a loud clunk in the rear end that i can physically feel? Dealer can't replicate? Anyone else had this issue if so how did you fix?? :confuse:
  • skyking49skyking49 Posts: 112
    Not a maintenance issue but was wondering about the future status of the 2006 Jeep.
    It is the last "Jeep". I mean with two doors, regular length and straight 4 or 6 cylinder engine. I think the engine in the 06 and earlier is better then the current engine that is from their Van.AFAIK. By better I mean longer lasting. I was glad that I bought mine when I did. Any thoughts?
  • dizzedizze Posts: 1
    Just to add fuel to the fire, I have an '03 wrangler and as soon as I lifted it at about the 2,000 mi mark I got the death wobble. I got the same story-heavier stabilizer. Now I run two and guarantee it's just a mask. I read on here where someone felt it was a class action lawsuit design flaw. I don't know if it only happens to lifted jeeps, but I would think so and if so, would not be a design issue when stock. I believe the design issue rears it's ugly head once lifted, as the Y-steering can move up and down causing a toe-in toe-out oscillation. A solid tie rod configuration can't do this. I had a Chrysler Concorde with 148K+ on it, bushings shot, bearings worn, tie rod ends worn, rotors beat and it still drove well. When I hear what appears to be guesses from dealers to people and then it's posted, I wonder how accurate the info. is? A lot of them site the same issues that the old Chrysler had and it worked fine. I think it is a design issue, but it's amplified when lifted. I have had people say that there are some alignment specs that cure it and one magazine just said to toe it out X-amount. I think changing the steering to the Rugged Ridge style setup should be THE fix. Has anyone done this that previously suffered from DW (without changing anything else)? What were your results. I wish I could afford it to prove it to myself. The new JK is setup with the different steering. Anyone had DW with those?